Pages: [1]

Past Orendi (Foreign Dispatch) Issues

Wintermoot
  • Regional Stability Squad
  • The Greyscale Magi-Monk
  • The Orendi is the dispatch we send to our partner communities about our region and the people in it. Check out the posts below to see all of our past dispatches!
    1 person likes this post: taulover

I went all the way to Cassadega to commune with the dead
    They said "You'd better look alive"
    Wintermoot
    • Weather: ❄️
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation
    Wintermoot
  • Orendi I - Originally released December 13, 2013

Orendi I
    Wintreath Foreign Update

Government of Wintreath
    Monarch: Wintermoot
    Crown Prince: Charax
    Jarls of Integration: Horse and Insenjar
    Jarls of Foreign Affairs: Saeturn and Charax
    Jarl of Defence: Denth Rowan
    Jarl of WA Affairs: Reon

Wintreath is Born!
    {an image of a castle was here, but was lost to the sands of time...}
    Frosthold Castle, Central Wintreath

From atop an imposing stone wall on the south face of Frosthold Castle, King Inric I (AKA Wintermoot) declared that Wintreath was to become a Sovereign Region. After a tumultuous split from his former region of Spiritus, and much coaxing from close friends, it was decided that Wintreath would become a region of it's own right. In conversation with other long-term members such as Insenjar & Charax, the newly instated monarch made clear that the main aim of Wintreath was to be a community before a political unit, and made clear that friendship and loyalty would be traits valued above all others in the Wintermoot Regime.

A Message From The Monarch

King Inric the First

Salutations, friends! As Monarch of Wintreath, I'm thrilled to introduce you to the Orendi, our official foreign dispatch. Although our region is less than two months old, we have already made great progress in building our region, some of which you'll read about in this issue. In such a short time, we have started building a community, a government, a military, and relations with awesome regions like [insert region here]. We've catapulted from 0 to 350 nations, and we already have both people new and veteran to NationStates contributing to our region, even contributing to this very dispatch you are reading. I'm very proud of Wintreath and everyone that has worked to make this happen, and I believe this will be just the first of many dispatches reporting successes for Wintreath.

Citizens Corner

The Citizens Corner Recording Studio

Citizens Corner is a regular feature where we in the Department of Foreign Affairs select a Citizen new to Wintreath, and allow them to opine on current affairs and activity within the region. The first Citizen to contribute to the feature is Routelairoux, and his work is here for you to view below.
    Wintreath is still a fledging region at heart, but its potential for accomplishment shines through as its borders shift and expand day after day. As I write this article, 345 nations make our region the 32nd biggest region in the world, no doubt a great achievement for a region only a month old and eager to leave a mark of its own.

As delegate of a nation that has only been introduced to the NationStates world and its features, I can attest Wintreath is a deeply receptive region. Being home to a diverse host of nations that are willing to pay attention and listen to each other’s experiences, ideas and beliefs, the resulting ambient is one of open-mindedness and equality where everyone, old or new, is encouraged to get involved and does so.

At the Frosthold Castle, previously established nations work side by side with recently created ones in the region’s many pressing activities, such as the development and setting up of the governmental branches and the formation of the Hvitt Riddaral, our military. The Royal Academy of Wintreath also offers courses and tomes to help newcomers get familiarized with the many intricacies of both the region itself and NationStates as a whole.

Wintreath thrives on cooperation and hopes to be, more than a region, a community where development, growth and flourishing together is encouraged.

The News in Briefs

Terrible Pun? Perhaps, but we're doing it anyway!
    • A Constitutional Convention is underway! At present, it has been decided that the document shall be titled the 'Fundamenal Laws'
    • The Foreign Affairs bureau is up and running! Under the guidance of Jarls Charax and Saeturn, Wintreath has established relations with some of the most awesome regions around, like yours, reading this now!
    • A Royal Wedding has taken place! Congratulations to Queen Consort Insenjar!
    • The Avatar theme for November was Ponies!
    • Elections for the lower house of the legislature now open!
    • Citizens Crya and Butterspring have opened a storefront project and RP respectively.
    • Wintreath's forum now supports Tapatalk!
    • A new forum theme, with a fabulous banner courtesy of Milograd.
    Wintreath Turns Two! (Months)
    {an image was here, but was lost to the sands of time...}
    Wintreath at Two Months old. Artists Rendition.

Wintreath has recently passed its one month milestone as a region, and already contains over 300 nations. Our burgeoning region is now well on track to formalising the process of government and is in the midst of elections for the Unterhusen - the lower body in our bicameral electoral system. We look forward to many more months of growth and success, and look forward to sharing it with our diverse member nations. Progress has also rapidly been made into forming alliances and establishing embassies to keep Wintreath standing out from the crowd.

"Who knows what our destiny shall be? I guess we'll have to travel the path to find out.

Inric the First
    Thanks for reading!
    « Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 03:39:13 AM by Wintermoot »

Wintermoot
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation
    Wintermoot
  • Orendi II - Originally released January 17, 2014

Orendi II
    Wintreath Foreign Update

Government of Wintreath
    Jarl of Integration: -vacant-
    Jarl of Foreign Affairs: Charax

Citizen’s Corner

The Citizen's Corner Recording Studio

Citizen's Corner is a regular feature where we in the Department of Foreign Affairs select a Citizen new to Wintreath, and allow them to opine on current affairs and activity within the region. This month, our contributor is Weissreich, and here's what he has to say!

Well, December has come and gone and with it our proud region has turned 3 months old! Or so I'm told, I'm notoriously unreliable with dates.

Wintreath now consists of 355 forum members, and we're the 23rd largest on NationStates. This is a proud achievement for anyone, but we're especially proud of it considering the youthfulness of our region. All I can say on the matter is that Wintermoot must be doing something right...

With the actual mechanisms of government finally up and running, and the first Underhusen elected for the 2 month period, I have finally been able to sink my teeth into a little political thinking. The great thing about Wintreath is that it remains a gaming region, focused almost entirely on NS's warfare and the effective management of an in-game region, but despite that retains an element of role-play. This provides ample opportunity for everyone to have a little fun, and a great example of this is the Wintropolis - one of the first successful cultural activities that can be found on our forums here - http://wintreath.com/forums/index.php?board=28.0

Now that we're firmly established, everybody here is looking to the future - good links with other defender regions, lots of cake, a successful and thriving community on our forums, more cake if at all possible, and world domination. I kid, but seriously, you want an alliance, give us (see: me) cake!

Wintreath Holds Its First Elections!

Members of the Wintrean 'Funny Looking Hand Society' cast their votes for the Underhusen

After holding its very first elections in the month of November, Wintreath’s legislature, also known as the Storting, has opened this month. It is comprised of two chambers: the Underhusen, elected by the citizens, and the Overhusen, appointed by the Monarch himself.

Candidates took part in the FYI Asks the Candidates, a series of questions addressing issues that are or may become relevant in Wintreath or in NationStates in general so voters would be better informed when casting their ballots. The Election Hall was then opened for a week, and attendance was overwhelming as citizens chose their representatives from a list of seven. The First Underhusen is thus comprised by Denth Rowan, Chanku, Crya, Horse and Drexyl Nox, while Wintermoot, Charax and Butterspring are appointed to the Overhusen.

On our forums, The Citizens’ Plataform is open to all members of Wintreath to suggest and debate regional legislation and participation in it is encouraged.

Wintreath Ratifies Its Constitution!
    {an image was here, but was lost to the sands of time}
    We looked for a less blatantly 'murica image. But honestly, not for very long.

On December 25th, the Constitution of Wintreath was ratified by the citizens via referendum and approved by the Monarch shortly afterwards. Named The Fundamental Laws of Wintreath, it is thusly in full effect and outlines not only the basic rights and protections to be provided to all citizens of the region but also the new government structure, one believed to be fairer, stronger and more dynamic.

The notion that a region flourishes best when authority is shared is distinctly noted and the Monarch swears to uphold, abide by and fiercely protect the government and every institution, law and right granted by the Fundamental Laws. The Approval of the Monarch can be read here (http://wintreath.com/forums/index.php?topic=342.0) and the Constitution itself can be read here (http://wintreath.com/forums/index.php?topic=341.0).

Wintreath Strikes Up Treaty With Lazarus!

"Look, we're not proud of this. Let's just do the news." - The Foreign Office of Wintreath

Wintreath is delighted and proud to announce its Storting has ratified a treaty with the esteemed region of Lazarus in early December, hoping to promote increased relations, cooperative efforts in military and shared cultural events and festivals between the two regions.

Wintreath and Lazarus have much in common: both have new governments, defender militaries in the process of improvement and place strong emphasis on creating and maintaining their own culture and regional activities.

As a region that has just started coming into its own, Wintreath believes that establishing and working to strengthen its ties with one of the largest, most relevant regions in NationStates will be of great benefit and interest for its own growth, and hopes that the attunement both regions already show is just the beginning of a long, solid, and most importantly, respectful relationship between Lazarus and Wintreath.

The full text of the treaty can be found at http://wintreath.com/forums/index.php?topic=281.0.

The News in Briefs

You know what they say about big hands... big news.

Thanks for reading!

Wintermoot
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation
    Wintermoot
  • Orendi III - Originally released February 24, 2014

Orendi III
    Wintreath Foreign Update

Government of Wintreath
    Jarl of Integration: -vacant-
    Jarl of Foreign Affairs: Charax

Citizen’s Corner

Citizen's Corner is a regular feature where we in the Department of Foreign Affairs select a Citizen new to Wintreath, and allow them to opine on current affairs and activity within the region. This month, our contributor is Harry McClain, and here's what he has to say!

Few weeks ago, I was asked a really interesting question: "What do you think of the changes we've gone through since you started here?" Well personally, I am an old part of NS, so I am going to be honest.

We may not be the strongest region, which in old days moved earth and heaven :P. We definitely are not the best region ever… But in my own belief, in order to build something the constitutional laws, have to be clear, strong and nobody disrespecting them! Well, as I said we are not the best region ever, let me tell you that we are eager, me myself… I am eager to make Wintreath a safe region for all ages, and everybody!

And where there is the will to make something better, nobody can stop you! There have been amazingly great changes in Wintreath, since we started talking about the laws and the constitutional laws, until we finally set up our political category.

I can say that Wintreath is one of the best regions that a player can come… the players are amazing, from the eldest one to the youngest, and also we have experienced players, mature players, funny players, crazy players (I'm putting myself on the last category) and a fantastic community. Also in my strongest beliefs *as always*, it has to do also, on who is leading this region! I would personally have hated if I was told what to do, by a stubborn and immature King/Queen etc. a person with no knowledge, or communicating skills.. .But this the best about our Royal family, they are kind, loyal, funny and accept jokes!
    Trust me, I have seen plenty of idiots in my life :P

So to sum up, Wintreath may not be the strongest region yet… But it is the best region when it comes to TEAM WORK!

Wintreath Takes Part in the World Fair 2014!

Wintreans preparing for the Ski Jump at the 2014 Winter World Fair (Article by A. Pierangelli)

Wintreath was proud to be a part of the NationStates World Fair 2014, hosted at The South Pacific! As one of the largest yearly festivals in the game and a place where all regions come together for fun and enjoyment under the banner of friendship and cooperation, Wintreath started its Fair planning by putting together a Committee to come up with content to showcase our region as soon as the request for a booth was confirmed.

Come the first day, an informational booth was set up, containing information and links about Wintreath, along with a guestbook and a Ask Me Anything thread from our very Monarch. While a location contest was attempted but unfortunately did not receive any entries, the Foreign Relations Game was a tremendous success, in which the last of the regions participating on the Fair left standing would get a prize in NS stamps. At first, it was not expected that a winner would arise before the end of the Fair, but The Versutian Federation rose to the challenge and took home 10,000 telegram stamps.

This was Wintreath’s very first fair, but we heartily hope there are many more to come!

Ask Me Anything: the forum craze!
    The Department grades this image a "C-", meaning "Eh, that's close enough". Article by A. Pierangelli.

One of the offshoots of the World Fair was the creation of Ask Me Anything (AMAs) threads on Wintreath’s offsite forums  - so much that a specific sub-forum was created to store said threads! Our monarch was inspired to create his own thread after seeing Escade’s successful thread on The South Pacific’s regional booth, and the idea was so well-received it was a matter of time until it made the jump to the regional forums, where many citizens have created their own threads pledging to answer everything (almost everything in some cases, or begging not to be asked in others), hoping to learn more about their fellow Wintreans and having some fun along the way.

The threads, for the curious, can be found at the Ask Me Anything sub-forum here.

Survey Time for Wintreath!

Local Carnivore Denth Rowan is interviewed on the topic of his traumatic past. Article by A. Pierangelli

As part of a request from The Allied Republican, a publication from the region of The Allied Republics, the citizens of Wintreath were asked to participate in a brief survey that would not only detail their thoughts on the current state of the region but also serve as the basis for a profile to be subsequently published in its latest issue.

One of the most striking results to come out of it was that many of the people who responded indicated that they would like to be more involved in the government, the military and roleplays even if they had not yet. In accordance to this, a clarification regarding what Citizens that are registered in our forums are entitled to was written and telegrammed to all nations in Wintreath, which run the gamut from voting in elections and running for Underhusen positions to applying for work in the Ministries and joining the Hvitt Riddaral. The possibilities are many and an increase in forum activity has been noted in January.

The original full profile can be found here and our monarch’s own assessment can be found here.

New Appointments to the Riksråd!

Horse, the new Field Marshal, is a former Black Rider. Article by Wintermoot

A number of changes came to the ministries of the Riksråd this month, as Wintreath continues to transform from a new to an established region. Most notably, the Monarch sacked the entire Ministry of Integration, noting the ministry was not active in any way. Additionally, several changes were prompted by the departure of Saeturn Valerius from the region. In the wake of his departure, Horse took on the role as Field Marshal of the Hvitt Riddaral and native Citizen A. Pierangelli was appointed Thane of Foreign Affairs, where she has since made a name for herself as chief organizer of the Orendi.

With plenty of vacancies left to fill, the only thing that's certain is that more changes are on the way as we continue growing as a region!

Denth Rowan Becomes Forum Admin!

The Administrators, left to right: Denth Rowan, Wintermoot, Charax. Article by Harry McClain

Denth Rowan, one of the oldest members in Wintreath. In his early days he served as Jarl of Defense, Speaker of the Underhusen, Chat OP, and he is one of our community's TOP consistent contributors. After a long period of time, working for Wintreath and helping Wintermoot in many tough decisions that consisted of our Constitution and many other fields of Wintreath, Denth was named as our new forum administrator in addition to his previously appointed positions. A hard job that would take him plenty of his real life time in order to contribute and help Wintreath's development, bit by bit.

One of the greatest joys of Wintreath's citizens is, having such a devoted friend, willing to help them, anytime… anywhere! Congratulations to him!

The Wintreath Chronicles: one new cultural activity...

Weissreich's first draft. Article by Weissreich too. What a busy person Weissreich is.

Wintreath's latest cultural foray takes the form of an archive of historical RP, building the setting that is Wintreath and creating locations to set our games such as Wintropolis and Forests of Tauria within. The Chronicles contain several threads which detail physical locations ("Oh, The Places You'll Go In Wintreath") and the progress towards a regional map ("The Wintreath Map"). For anyone interested in the lore and setting of our region, this is the place to go! What makes this a unique cultural activity is the fact that any member can contribute to add their own personal spin to the history of Wintreath, and gives those with an artistic flair somewhere to show off whilst helping the lore pick up.

...actually, make it two new cultural activities with Forests of Tauria!

A forest, because we in the FA Department are innovative people. By Weissreich again. His hegemony of influence is becoming scary at this point.

Wintreath is displaying a fine trend in cultural activities with yet another RP game established on the forums: Forests of Tauria! In this setting, forum members play as characters in a world of mystery, magic and just a little bit of mayhem as they, a small group of heroic individuals, fight the evil Moria, who's probably undead. So far, gameplay has involved a whole lot of violence, an undead dragon and explosions in inhabited houses - we're not evil, I promise! Things to look out for: undead, magic, explosions, more undead, beer, laughter, probably a horde of undead and gore. Lots of lovely gore.

If you'd like to join, the forum for this game can be found here, and the game is run by Drexyl Nox.

Skydande Vakt: Reinforcements to the Hvitt Riddaral!

The future of the Hvitt Riddaral. I know what you're thinking, and yes, this is after they graduate. Article by A. Pierangelli

January has also marked the creation of the Skydande Vakt, a secondary branch of Wintreath’s Hvitt Riddaral. Geared towards citizens that cannot be on during either game updates but still would like to participate in military gameplay, the Skydande Vakt serves as a reserve pool of soldiers that may move in to reinforce the protection and defense of native regions in need or to be part of Hvitt Riddaral support operations.

Wintreath’s Forum Hits 5000 Posts!

We just can't shut up. By Weissreich, again. Our benevolent demi-God Weissreich.

You read it correctly! It's not even the end of January and we're already passing an important threshold of forum activity! 5000 posts is no laughing matter for a region that is so recently established, and it's wonderful to see our community so active and interested in the constitutional goings on of Frosthold, the ridiculous games of our Valley of the Spammage and our discussion forums. We look forward to an ever increasing forum activity, and welcome anyone who'd like to come and talk to us and get to know the crazy people that make up our region to visit us on our forums!

Wintreath Has an Official Video!

If that image made you feel a pang of nostalgia at this image, turn off the computer and get back into the Rocking Chair. By Harry McClain

Wintreath, the land of the eternal winter as it is called, is ruled by the Monarch Wintermoot and his Royal Family! The Northern Part of Wintreath is surrounded by snow, while the greenwoods of Latrovia in the southern part of Wintreath will take you to places you have never seen before! Created by our very own Harry McClain, with music by Peter Crowley, the inspiring, wonderful journey can be seen here!

http://youtu.be/k8HjQ5qu6yo

Wintreath Votes!
    Underhusen Skrifa, Chanku, casting his votes. Article by A. Pierangelli

Last, but not least, The Election Hall is once again open as the citizens of Wintreath attend the elections for the Underhusen’s second term! Time sure flies fast! Seven candidates are currently vying for the five positions and, thus far, results are still a wide, open race! The winners were known on February 7th, and proved to be a mix of old and new members as Chanku, Denth Rowan and Drexyl Nox have retained their seats and Weissreich and Alterra have joined them on this term.

Thanks for reading!
    « Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 04:35:42 AM by Wintermoot »

Wintermoot
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation
    Wintermoot
  • Orendi IV - Originally released May 2, 2014

Wintreath Foreign Update

Government of Wintreath

Jarl of Culture: Drexyl Nox
    Jarl of Defence: Denth Kasten
    Jarl of Foreign Affairs: Horse
    Jarl of Information: Chanku
    Jarl of Integration: Alterra

A Message From the Monarch - Article by Wintermoot

Salutations, friends. You may have noticed that this is the first publication of the Orendi in several months. This is due to the departures of several people that were instrumental not only to producing the Orendi, but to our regional community in general. Shortly after the Orendi III was published, Crown Prince and Jarl of Foreign Affairs Charax announced that he was leaving Wintreath and NationStates for real life reasons. He played so many roles in our region...hell, without him convincing me to try a serious region Wintreath would probably not exist, but in terms of the Orendi he put together the pictures and captions for every Orendi release. If you had a laugh at one of our captions or thought a graphic was cute, you had Charax to thank. Many knew him for his snarky yet lighthearted style, and it reflected here in ways that simply can't be replaced. In recognition of this, this release of the Orendi will only have one picture and caption, which he posted for future use just before he departed.

Less than a week later, Thane of Foreign Affairs and Information Routelairoux announced that she was leaving, also for real life reasons. While she may not have been as well-known outside Wintreath, she was quickly becoming a rising star in the region. She assisted in planning our NS World Fair booth, created the concept that became the Chronicles of Wintreath RP and Lore database, and served as the editor of the Orendi, proving herself very talented at being able to make things happen and come together. It's to her credit that the Orendi was put out on a regular schedule up until her departure. Shortly after that, Queen Consort and founding member Insenjar announced that she too was leaving. While she had largely left NationStates already, she was a friendly presence in our IRC channel, and she will be also missed. Something that may not be well-known is that she helped come up with the name of the region, back when I was wanting to create a test region for Spiritus.

So many departures of so many key members in such a short amount of time could spell the death of a region, but as you will read here, instead our region came together. Our veteran members held the community together, and we were fortunate enough to gain a number of new members, many of whom have quickly started to stand out in this region. Some have even written articles in this very document. In light of so many tragic departures, I'm very proud of where our region has gone, and I hope you will enjoy reading of our feats, our challenges, and our accomplishments.

Wintreath Celebrates Six Months! - Article by Stacky

Wintreath as a region has passed the milestone of 6 months, and one has to say a lot has happened in just one short half a year. Since the opening of the Storting (the legislative branch of the region), several bills have been passed, constitutional amendments considered and voted on and several procedural changes made. There have been new decrees, new cultural developments, and an official list of regional holidays is in the works! And just this past April, Wintreath hosted what were easily the most exciting, active, and hotly-contested regional elections that you'll find anywhere in Nationstates.

The 6 month anniversary is also marked by Wintreath becoming the 17th largest region in Nationstates, passing the monumental 500-nation mark with 502 nations at the time of writing this article. Exciting times are ahead for sure.

Third Elections Most Active in Region's History - Article by Stacky

Wintreath's most recent bi-monthly elections that occurred at the beginning of last April were also by far the largest in the region's history. These elections were also special: not only was a new Underhusen elected, but the Riksråd (the regional cabinet) was elected as well. Normally the Riksråd is chosen by appointment of the Monarch, but due to several sudden vacancies, His Majesty decided to hold elections for the Riksråd as well and merely appoint the winners. It was a very intense race, as the eleven candidates for the Underhusen and the Riksråd campaigned and debated over the course of several tense weeks. Then came the 1st of April: election week began! The voting was intense; candidates swapped places up and down, slipping in and out of the lead daily. At last the elections came to a close, with clear victors and a new government of the region, shown below:

The Monarchy:
    Monarch: Inric Nordrim Kestar (Wintermoot)
    Queen Consort: Vacant
    Crown Prince: Vacant

The Riksråd:
    Jarl of Defense: Denth Kasten
       Thane of Defense: Alterra

Thane of Culture: Reon

Jarl of Foreign Affairs: Horse
       Thane of Foreign Affairs: Vacant

Jarl of Information: Chanku
       Thane of Information: Vacant

Thane of Integration: Denth Kasten

Thane of WA Affairs: Vacant

The Underhusen:
    Speaker: Chanku
    Speaker pro tempore: Ceardia
    Skrifa: Alterra
    Skrifa: Weissreich
    Skrifa: BlackTudorRose

The Overhusen:
    Chairman: Denth Kasten
    Peer: Butterspring
    Peer: Reon
    Peer: Wintermoot

Bills Before the Third Underhusen - Article by Chanku

With the elections over, the Third Underhusen (Wintreath's lower legislative house) promptly set out to continue business which had been stalled due to a runoff election and the need to elect a new Speaker, a first for the Underhusen as the position has previously been appointed by the Monarch. The Underhusen selected Chanku as Speaker to replace Denth Kasten, who chose not to run for a third term and subsequently accepted a position in the Overhusen. The new Speaker than chose Ceardia, a veteran legislator serving his first political office in Wintreath, as his Speaker Pro Tempore.

So far the Underhusen has proposed several bills such as the Charax Romanov Act, which seeks to congratulate and honor Charax for his work in Wintreath; the Freedom of Information Act, which recently failed; and the Fourth Amendment to the Fundamental Laws, which would allow the Overhusen to make small spelling and grammar corrections.

Minecraft Comes to Wintreath - Article by Weissreich

Wintreath has spread its gaming wings and added a Minecraft server to the list of its assets! Our very own Denth Kasten has generously brought the long sought-after dream here at Wintreath to reality, starting up and running the region's very own exclusive server. Recognising the enjoyment of other games is an important part of an NS region's survival, and we're taking steps to ensure that our members (and visitors) have the widest range possible of entertainment facilities. And besides, who doesn't like breaking and placing, breaking and placing, breaking and placing...

One more block, I swear!

Families Pop Up - Article by Chanku

Wintreath also saw the monarch release Declaration 004, which allows NS families to be recognized by the Monarch of Wintreath. It also created three categorizations of houses: The Royal House of Wintreath, Noble Houses, and Common Houses. The latter is the default category a house is put in to. The Royal House of Wintreath is the one the king currently resides in, and the Noble Houses are decided by the monarch. Currently there have been several members seeking recognition of their Familial House in Wintreath. However, there are no Noble Houses yet.

You can read the decree here.

Website Updates - Article by Stacky

Wintreath's regional forums have several shiny new upgrades! A brand-new announcements box now has the latest and greatest news from the region posted at the top of the front page. The sidebar now hosts an official list of the government of Wintreath, proudly displaying the Monarchy, Riksråd, as well as Underhusen and Overhusen members. There's a button accepting donations, and most importantly, a regional shoutbox! Forget the IRC, Wintreath is bringing all of its wonderful strangeness and somewhat unnerving/senseless banter right to the front page of the forums! Go ahead and check it all out!

The News In Briefs

News in Briefs is back, and bigger than ever!

• The region's wide spectrum of Role-Plays just got even wider, with the addition of a completely new character RP called The Face of the Enemy. This time, players start out deep in space, on board Space Station Buenos Aires as enlisted cadets. They're about to begin training to become elite fighter-pilots as the threat of alien war looms.
    • Recently the Monarch and Queen Consort of Wintreath, prior to the queen's departure, removed themselves from the Stark-Locksley line, and created a new House, the House of Kestar. So far the house has meet with an open and warm welcome.
    • It's over 9000!!!! posts, that is. Our regional forums have officially logged over 9000 posts, thanks in part to a very active April, which proved to be our most active month yet.
    • The Monarch merged the offices of several ministries to create the Civil Service, a pool of volunteers which any ministry can utilize for tasks and projects and allows Citizens to volunteer for a variety of opportunities without having to sign up with each ministry.

Thanks for reading!

Wintermoot
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation
    Wintermoot
  • Orendi V - Originally released June 24, 2014

Wintreath Foreign Update

Government of Wintreath

Jarl of Defense: Denth Kasten
    Jarl of Foreign Affairs: Chanku
    Jarl of Information: Stacky
    Jarl of Mediations: Daylen Pheonix

Citizen’s Corner

Citizen's Corner is a regular feature where we in the Department of Information select a Citizen new to Wintreath, and allow them to opine on current affairs and activity within the region. This month, our contributor is Stark! He's not entirely new here, having joined late April, but he's brought a lot of activity and different ideas to Wintreath. And here's what he has to say!

Hi!
    My name is Stark and I would describe myself as a fairly new member to the region, although we have had many members join since I joined Wintreath and therefore cannot be considered a 'new member'. In addition to this, I am no longer just a citizen of Wintreath. I have recently been elected to the Underhusen (lower parliament). Nevertheless I hope this short extract will provide a different view of our region than the 'old guard' if you like.

When I joined Wintreath, it immediately became apparent it was a friendly place with a close knit community. While that has its advantages it made it some what difficult to be taken seriously by the existing boys club feel to the region. My initial, somewhat naive ideas, were shunned as having no merit for example. As I learnt more about the region and the people in it, it got slightly easier to fit in however.

Wintreath has a great community and a very special atmosphere. It is full of lots of nice, interesting and entertaining people. Its Role Play area is also in the process of a review and this should result in significant progress in the coming weeks and months we hope.

One area in my opinion that needs improvement is the governing and political processes of the region. The same people remain in the same executive positions, without any accountability of job performance. This form of autocratic government has had mixed results and implementation of ideas can be slow in some areas. Hopefully Wintreath will evolve in to more democracy and power being relayed to more people, without affecting the 'community feel' of the region. That is certainly what I, and others to varying degree, want to see for the future.

Thank you.

The Third Underhusen's Final Decision

UH Skrifa Alterra using private escort to get to the Underhusen Chambers in time - Article by Stacky

One many things that makes our legislative body, the Storting, so unique, is that before each election the current Underhusen votes on how many seats there will be in the next Underhusen term. It makes for a very adaptable legislative body that can more efficiently and better suit the current needs of the region. With the rapid influx of several active new citizens to Wintreath in May, the current Underhusen chose to have 7 seats for the next term--the maximum number that our constitution allows.

With the ambitious number set in hopes of refreshing and increasing activity within the Underhusen, the elections approached. As nominations and candidacies began, it became apparent there would be an issue: while the Underhusen was correct in predicting an increased number of candidates, there were only nine total that ended up actually running for the position of Skrifa. All but two of the candidates would automatically be accepted into the Storting, which would make for a relatively uncontested election. In an emergency meeting, the Underhusen quickly decided to reduce the number of seats to 5, which markedly intensified the race.

It's interesting to see how activity is influenced by the ease of being appointed or elected to positions. Members of the current Underhusen later remarked that it was a bit premature to set the number of seats to maximum. Perhaps later down the road, the elections will become even larger. In any case, the new Underhusen term is sure to bring some refreshing and sweeping change to Wintreath.

The Fourth Underhusen is Elected

The newly elected legislative body assembling in their very own and completely unique chambers - Article by Weissreich

Wintreath's 4th Sitting of the Underhusen is underway! Once again, elections have proven to be a well-participated and well-enjoyed event throughout the region, with the most votes thus far counted: 26! Out of a pool of 9 candidates, some who came quite late into the running, the victors are:
    • Daphne - Speaker of the House
    • Weissreich - Speaker Pro Tempore
    • Stark
    • Polaris
    • Drexyl Nox
    Please join us in congratulating the new legislative body of Wintreath and wishing them best success! The results of this election, with yet another record turn-out, point towards an ever increasing involvement in political and cultural activities that the region hopes to continue.

Horse's Dismissal

Horse's departure from the region - Article by Polaris

Sadly, on May 08, 2014, Wintermoot, Wintreath's Monarch, announced that Horse was relieved of his position as Wintreath's Jarl (Minister) of Foreign Affairs and Field Marshal of our military strike force. An investigation concluded with him leaking private military and cabinet discussions to the FRA. Later, he willingly revoked his citizenshhip and exited the region.The melancholy situation is that Horse had many chances to plead guilty, but decided not to. This severe case of lack of trust made Wintermoot remove all his positions except his citizenship. We will move on from this regrettable action, but it shows the best solution is to prevent it from the first place. This removal from office caused an increased security in who is allowed to join the executive government of Wintreath. Finally, one of our main government leaders, Chanku, has replaced Horse's position as the Jarl of Foreign Affairs. Here's a statement made by the monarch on the situation:

Quote from: Wintermoot's Statement
    Ultimately, his initial actions, his failing to immediately admit guilt, and his evasive and questionable responses made me realize that I could no longer trust him as a member of the Riksråd. Serving on the Riksråd is a great privilege that comes with many responsibilities, one of which is to maintain of the privacy of the Riksråd forum, an area where sensitive topics are discussed and frank opinions are given. If he leaked a post from this discussion, could he be trusted not to leak a discussion on FRA relations, for example? Thus, he was relieved of his Cabinet position. It is regrettable that he decided to completely leave the region afterwards, but it is his choice and it has been decided that no further action will be taken against him.

An Exclusive Interview with Weissreich on his Establishment of Setting!

Polaris sits down for an interview with Weiss in his office

1)What exactly does this project value the most, and how do you think it will progress over time?
    The project itself is aiming to look at Wintreath's culture - obviously a made up one, but one that's going to hopefully create a strong framework for role-playing in the near future. Within that, I think the most important focus of the Establishment of Setting is creating a balance of information and blank areas. One of the main things that drags down an RP is the lack of a good backstory - at first everyone is involved, but soon enough it becomes clear that there's no real content from which to build a direction. Of course, there can be great exceptions to this, but on the whole...

The EoS is aiming to provide for that issue: by generating enough detail in the world to make it believable, by creating something that's got a unique blend of entertainment, possibility and fun, I'm hoping this will allow people to hold incredible RP's within the setting. With the framework there already, it's down to those running and participating in the game to come up with the plot, the actual events, the story - and they're free to do so in a setting that's there already.

In terms of the future? Who knows? With the recent formation of a House system in Wintreath, I'm looking to come up with great ways to integrate that and the EoS. You can already see the beginnings of that in the timeline overview, but in the next couple of weeks I'm going to add content which will make Houses an integral part of this setting, adding a new social dynamic as well as all the business, backstabbing, pressures and pleasures of being part of a Family that's competing - or cooperating - with others like it, each with their own strong points and weaknesses.

So yeah, hopefully - big things!

2)What kinds of processes are in place to help you edit and finalize the EoS?
    Right now the completion of the EoS is quite far off, a matter of weeks, but the development process itself should give a lot of people ideas they'd like to see added. When people get in contact, I'm more than happy to make alterations to include sensible suggestions that will add to the content, as well as ones that'll make it more interesting! This provides people with a sort of streamlining and first revision access-point, meaning there'll be something for everyone in the finished product whilst hopefully nothing being too much for anyone.

Beyond that, I myself am going to be running it through considerable evaluation as I go. Every time I start to write or update, I check over what I've already done, not only to ensure it's looking good, but to draw inspiration along similar themes for continuity and to come up with ideas which make sense. From there, I've got a period of time set aside from when I finish to double-check everything. All of the changes are publicly available the whole time, so feedback will hopefully be continuous, allowing for that extra layer of double-checking.

And at the end, of course, there's the comments and criticisms of the finished product - as much as there can be one. I don't see the EoS as something that will have a definite end, but instead a framework that's going to evolve as people use it, to suit what's wanted and needed to keep everything working in fine order!

3) In what area could the EoS use a little polishing?
    Currently, I've not yet reached the main body of the EoS - the content on the places, the people and the major events. These will form the meat of the setting itself, along with the technology, history and society notes. Until that's complete I can't really say accurately what's going to need most work, but out of what I've got?

Probably the timeline and the detailing of places: the first is going to be the thing which grabs your attention and makes you think "Hey, this might be fun!" The places are what, to my mind, hammer home the mental picture, allowing people to really consider the fact that "I can work with this!" I'm pretty happy with the response I've got, but I want to ensure it's as grabbing and entertaining as possible, so I'm definitely going to go over this.

4)What’s the greatest achievement you earned from the EoS?
    Hard to say, as there's so much more yet to come! I think I'll have to get back to you on this one when I've finished it and everyone's been involved and the role-plays have started, but until then:

Probably discovering the fact I can draw maps a lot better than I remember being able to!

5)What have you enjoyed most about working on this?
    Even split between two things: firstly, how great everyone's responding to it. There's a lot of support and several ideas coming in for the Establishment of Setting and I think this is a positive indicator of how well this is going to go down. Wintreath has been and continues to be a great community that I'm enjoying being a part of, and being able to give back is something that makes me feel happy.

The second thing is actually writing it. Worldbuilding has always been something I've enjoyed but never really had the time to explore properly. I've written a lot, and most of my time is spent building up incredibly detailed settings that the ideas then just flow into like a mould for liquid metal. Being able to do that, knowing people are going to (if all goes well) enjoy it? That's something pretty amazing. A lot of what's to come is pushing me both imaginatively and in terms of my literary skills. It's a fun journey for everyone.

The News in Briefs

Here in the Dep. of Info, we like puns inside our puns.

-Wintreath, after many hardships, has finally reached a milestone. It celebrates seven months as a region! With more than 500 nations,  it has grown to be a diverse and lively region of all sorts.
    Happy Birth...month? Wintreath!
    Who has the rum and snow?!

-Polaris and Stacky, previously active citizens, have been announced to a greater level of citizenship, becoming a member of the Riksrad. Polaris has been granted Thane of Integration status, whereas Stacky was recently granted Jarl of Information status. Chanku has also become the permanent Jarl of Foreign Affairs.

-The Hvitt Riddaral and the Skydande Vakt have successfully completed the mission to reclaim a region and protect for one of our honorary citizens, Charax Romanov. Wintermoot has thanked the military units, the "irregulars", and all the others who devoted to the cause.
    The military is readily awaiting orders for their next task.
    Raiders be scurred.

-As you may have noticed above, a new ministry has been added to the region! Congratulations to Daylen Pheonix for his appointment to Jarl of Mediations, who will be responsible for settling any and all disputes that arise within the region.

Thank you for reading!

Wintermoot
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation
    Wintermoot
  • Orendi VI - Originally released October 21, 2014

Wintreath Foreign Update

Government of Wintreath

Jarl of Defense: Vacant
    Jarl of Culture: Amalya
    Jarl of Foreign Affairs: Wintermoot
    Jarl of Information: Stacky
    Jarl of Integration: Polaris
    Jarl of Mediations: Daylen Pheonix

Citizen’s Corner

Citizen's Corner is a regular feature where we in the Department of Information select a Citizen new to Wintreath, and allow them to opine on current affairs and activity within the region. This month, our contributor is Point Breeze! PB has quickly proven himself a worthy Underhusen Skrifa and a great addition to the Wintreath community, and here's what he has to say:

Dear reader,
    Thank you for embarking on the adventure that is reading this article.  I promise I’ll take you to far away places that, at first, seem like something out of your most pleasant dream.  You’ll soon discover, however, that this place is very real, filled with amazing people that are also, very real.  This magical land has a name, and it is the Frozen Realm of Wintreath. 

While I’m new to this land myself, I’ve already made connections and had experiences that, in my humble opinion, occur just too sparingly in this world we inhabit.  It’s been a very long time since I’ve been included (and accepted!) in a community that is so close-knit, but also inviting.  Wintreath has the pleasant distinction of an inviting atmosphere and strong supportive relationships between citizens.  People of all political ideologies, viewpoints, and opinions are respected and included in numerous discussions.  Part of what makes Wintreath so incredible is this inclusive atmosphere that draws you in and keeps hold – much like a massive, tentacled sea monster. 

The region is as active as it is accepting.  A small core of dedicated players keep the region filled with games, roleplays, and IRC banter, among other activities.  Therein lies the group’s biggest weakness, though – we need MOAR.  Wintreath is an amazing place, so naturally I want to share the good experiences I’ve had, but we are in need of fun, outgoing, motivated NS players looking for the best region in the world(s). 

Alas, the my tale is ended, but don’t distress, the dream lives on in the Frozen Realm of Wintreath.  I’ve found a great place to call home, and I’m eager to see it grow into something even greater!

Fifth Underhusen Elected!

Spanish-speaking Wintreans were clearly annoyed at the polls - Article by Polaris

Previously in the UH... "5 Should Be Good... I Guess.."

Now :

Our Glorious Monarch, Wintermoot (Inric Nordim Kestar) I, has announced the new generation of UH Members. All of which have proved their wits to claim the throne... er... seat. I Welcome to You In No Particular Order: Prudii, Point Breeze, Jonewest O_O, Amalya, and Denth Kasten! As you can infer, they are tasked with creating and passing laws, which are key to Wintreath's security. There was also the matter of the ratification of Wintreath Title Amendment Act. It passed 19-1, with 1 additional vote declared invalid, which means that this amendment has successfully passed and will be added to the Fundamental Laws.

We all wish this cast a blessing of productivity and creativity.

The Search for the New Riksrad

Wintermoot searches for job candidates the only way he knows how - Article by Stacky

Wintreath's executive cabinet, known simply as the Riksrad, has always had a history plagued with resignations and short staffing. It's the simple reality. Serving on the Riksrad myself, I'm well aware of the increased commitment, experience, and responsibility needed to hold such a position. And as with all NationStates regions, members come and members go with almost clockwork regularity. These past few months have been no exception.

At the beginning of April, in an attempt to solve this very problem, elections were held not only for the legislative Underhusen, but the Riksrad as well. Normally done by appointment, the decision to elect Riksrad members looked like it would work. Hopes were high as the Riksrad was fully staffed for the first time.

As the NationStates summer lull began to sweep through the region, it became apparent that a new solution would be needed. Only 3 months after the elections, the Riksrad was back in the same situation. Horse, the elected Jarl of Foreign Affairs, was relieved of his position after leaking intelligence and failing to cooperate. He left the region soon afterwards. Several other members failed to meet activity requirements, and Denth Kasten, a long-standing member and Jarl of Defense from the very beginning, resigned his position toward the end of July.

The elections, ultimately, did not succeed, so Wintermoot came up with a new plan to revive his cabinet. A two-week long, rigorous set of trials that would serve as the application for the vacant Riksrad positions: The Contenders! Several citizens were up for the challenge, running contests, sitting for interviews, and proving that they could take on the positions they sought. At the end of the process, it appeared that there was neither success nor failure: Amalya took on her new role as Jarl of Culture, yet the Jarl of Foreign Affairs remained empty, eventually taken up by the Monarch himself. The Hvitt Riddaral, Wintreath's defense force, implemented three temporary positions to run the military in the absence of a Jarl.

Wintrean Culture Explodes!

A recent parade celebrating Harry McClain's latest selfie - Article by Stacky

The conclusion of The Contenders selection process left Wintreath with a brand new Jarl of Culture, and while the process didn't quite fill all the vacancies, it certainly selected the best possible candidate for the job. With relative newcomer Amalya at the helm of the cultural scene in Wintreath, the region is seeing the most exciting, vibrant, and active culture it's had in it's history!

There are countless new events and activities that all citizens can now take part in. What used to be a standard collection of roleplays in a single, modest board has been completely transformed into 4 separate cultural hotspots, each highlighting a specific aspect of culture. The Merriment Quarter houses all event planning and discussions, along with competitions in everything from programming to poetry. A newly-designed RP section streamlines the game-playing process, both in and out of character. The third new addition, the Howling Wind Tavern, has been repurposed to hold all general discussions along with the popular AMA sub-forum. The final section, The Hall of Great Discussions, is for serious debating and discussion over all manner of issues from solar roadways to political debates to Wal-mart.

And probably most exciting, Wintreath now has a brand new radio station! Broadcasting live 24/7, listeners enjoy quite a tasteful music selection, and talk show programs are on the horizon. It's safe to say that the culture in WIntreath has never been better. One can only dream about what's in store for the region's fast approaching first anniversary!

Manual Recruitment Program Underway

We didn't seem to have any color photographs of our telegram rooms - Article by Applebania

In the current Nationstates environment, Script and Stamp-based recruitment reign supreme over regions that put in the work to grow their regions by hand and recruit manually. However, Wintreath has stepped up to challenge the domination of scripts and stamps and has now begun recruiting manually. The difficulty of this task should not be understated: maintenance of a dedicated recruitment team is not an easy task, and this has led to population drops. However, the persistence of Wintreath’s community also should not be understated: Wintreath can and will prove that manual recruitment can and will work in Nationstates, even after the introduction of stamps. The region hopes to reduce its monthly expenditure while continuing to grow in the future.

News In Briefs

No, we are not apologizing for our puns

- Mentorship Program: All new citizens to Wintreath will now receive an experienced player as their mentor to the region. The Department of Integration is excited to see what it will bring in the future.

- Avatar Contests: Themed avatar contests led by Wintermoot and Amalya have been reintroduced to the region, as multiple Batmans and RPG characters have been spotted throughout the forums.

- 20,000+ Posts: Wintreath has crossed another milestone, as the young region reaches the 20k post mark. Congratulations to all Wintreans!

- 500+ Members: And yet another milestone - Wintreath now boasts over 500 members on its forums.

- New Publications: Several newspapers have sprung up in the past months, including everything from Stark's privately-run Wintreath Guardian paper to Wintermoot's new 'My Piece' column.

Thank you for reading!

Wintermoot
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation
    Wintermoot
  • Orendi VII - Originally released March 29, 2015

Orendi VII
    Wintreath Foreign Update

Government of Wintreath

Jarl of Culture: Amalya (Pengu as Acting Jarl)
    Jarl of Defense: Chanku
    Jarl of Integration: Point Breeze

A Message from the Monarch

Just another standard photo op for the Monarch. Article by Wintermoot.
    Greetings, friends and allies of Wintreath. You may have noticed that this is the first Orendi to be dispatched in quite a few months. As we have worked to overhaul our foreign affairs program, it has become apparent that it takes a great amount of time and effort to put this dispatch together, and because of that we will be scaling the Orendi back from a monthly dispatch to a seasonal dispatch, with each edition covering events from the season before in detail. Between releases, we will continue to send smaller dispatches covering everything from events going on in the region to interviews to tidbits about the region. We feel this is the best way to maintain active relations and embassies with all of our diplomatic partners.

I hope that you enjoy reading our latest Orendi, and that relations between our regions continue to grow and prosper.

Judicial Reform Perplexes Wintreath

The fight over Judicial reform! Article by Wintermoot
    In a region that has seen few political divisions, the debate and continued failure to come to agreement on judicial reform stands out. While most Citizens agree that the current judicial system isn't working, there are a wide variety different ideas on the system that should replace it. Proposals have included the creation of a jury pool of Citizens whose members would be selected to hear cases at random, the creation of an elected Supreme Court, the transfer of judicial authorities to the Monarch, and the abolition of the judiciary entirely. While the debate has been on-and-off since June, to date no proposal has passed the Storting with the 2/3 supermajority required to amend the Fundamental Laws, the Constitution of our region. Given that proposals most also pass a referendum by the same supermajority, it goes without saying that any judicial proposal has a harrowing journey to passage.

To better understand the diversity of ideas and the mindsets behind them, I've approached some of our current and past members of government that have advocated a particular solution with one question: why do you feel your stance is the right one for Wintreath over the others?

Reon (Underhusen Skrifa): You have recently authored and introduced the Omnibus Judicial Repeal, stating that it was in anticipation of another amendment bringing judicial authorities to the Monarch. Why do you feel this is the best approach for Wintreath?

To me, our current system is a lie. It places power quite fictionally in the hands of people when of course, this is not possible in a monarchy. I see this as a good step to a more honest, more flexible, more visibly pro-monarch law.

Unlike my compatriot, Chanku, I feel that traditionalism is a danger to society. A way to ignore our problems and claim that they are in fact strengths. I feel a more flexible law is a more powerful law and that in a monarchy with a highly trusted Monarch this is highly possible.

Thank you for giving me this chance to speak.
    Joshua Bleuteisen (Underhusen Skfria): In the current debate, you have openly supported abolishing the judiciary and going as far as stating you wouldn't support any other judicial reform proposal. Why do you feel abolishment is the best approach for Wintreath?

We're a small community; a community this small is better off with a powerful executive, versus a slow and ineffective judiciary.

If we were to implement one, I feel that it would be best to have a fresh start versus trying to fix our current, haphazardly put-together system.

Wintermoot (Monarch): You authored the first judicial reform attempt, the Administration of Justice Amendment Act, which would have created a jury pool with members selected at random for each court case, but withdrew support for it after it failed in the Storting not once, but twice. Why did you feel this was the best approach for Wintreath?

I don't believe that the issues with the current system are in the ideas behind it, but the implementation. The current system was designed so that we would have a slate of potential judges knowledgeable about Wintrean law for each case instead of an inactive judicial branch with the same people deciding each and every case, which raises the potential for arbitrary decisions and abuses of power. I felt that the Administration of Justice Amendment Act resolved the loopholes and issues by removing judicial authorities from the Storting and creating a formal pool of judges that anyone meeting the requirements could apply for.

However, I've accepted that this is not the direction the region wants to go in, and since withdrawing support I'm mostly listening to the other proposals and chiming in when I feel I have something constructive to contribute to the debate.
    Chanku (Underhusen Speaker): To date, you have opposed all proposals for judicial reform and have instead recently proposed two Acts, the Judicial Offices Omnibus Amendment Act and the Case Selection Procedure Act, both of which aim to fix the current system. Why do you feel fixing the current system is the best approach for Wintreath?

My answer lies in what I politically am in Wintreath, and my history in Wintreath in some part, along with my line of thought in the other part. You see, I've been here since the start, and I helped write the Fundamental Laws as well. I'm also a traditionalist, in the sense that I prefer not changing things constitutionally unless necessary, as in if there was an error that if not fixed could cause a bit of a disaster or there is proof that it fails to work.

Therefore I want to preserve our current system. I do acknowledge it has it's faults, as with any system, however I am unsure if it actually works due to a lack of cases to date to actually see if it works.

However it should be noted that I will compromise, while I initial opposed the Administration of Justice Act, I later decided to come out in support as I felt it was the best compromise at the time. Although at this time it should be noted that I would probably abstain on all vote should it pass through the chambers. I do however oppose the abolishment and the passing of the Judicial System to the Monarch. The main reason being that there is no reason, other than that we are a fictional monarchy, which holds little weight in my opinion.

Games, Games, and more games to come!

A collection of Wintreath's many games to play! Article by Pengu
    If there's anything that we know anyone loves, it's games, and this may be something that is slowly becoming what Wintreath can be known for.  What started as a single Werewolf game has exploded into much more because of the astounding participation from both our citizens and residents, as well as our growing tourist population.  In fact, as of writing this, Werewolf is in the works of its 4th game with one of our newest citizens, Laurentus, taking the helm. 

Spyfall was also introduced into Wintreath, and was met with much enthusiasm.  Now, our acting Jarl of Culture is working on more ideas to cook up on what to bring to Wintreath in the form of regional games and contests.  Some of his ideas include Clue, Resistance, 20 questions, and even an interactive form of Choose your own Adventure.  We're looking forward to see just what other games will be popping up around Wintreath, and we hope to see all of you taking part when they do.

Citizen of the Month Contest Established, Amalya First Winner

Citizens discuss what makes someone a Citizen of the Month. Article by Wintermoot.
    Wintreath recently had its first Citizen of the Month election, where Citizens can nominate and then choose an outstanding member of the community that has had a great impact on the region and the people in it. The Citizen of the Month then gets a special forum mask with the colour of their choice and the opportunity to be interviewed so everyone can get to know their Citizen of the Month and their reflections on their time in the region.

The first person to be recognized by our Citizens is our Jarl of Culture, Amalya, who is someone I can safely say has touched so many of us in the community for the better through her openness, honesty, charm, humour, and strength to stand up for who she is and what she believes in. She's been a true role model for everyone here, and it's an absolute honour to be able to interview her.

Congrats on being elected as Wintreath's first Citizen of the Month! Of course, you have previously been recognized by the Monarchy when you were made a Countess, but how does it feel to now be recognized by your fellow Citizens?

It feels great. Recognition from the Monarchy is fantastic, but being recognized by the other citizens of our great region is fantastic, and heartwarming.

Let's go back to the beginning, when you first joined our community back in May. What brought you to Wintreath in the first place, and what were your first impressions as a new Citizen starting out in the region? Did anything surprise you?

In May, I was returning to NS after an absence, and looking for a new home. Honestly I'm still not sure why I chose Wintreath, perhaps it was fate, I just know I'm glad I did. When I first arrived, the thing that struck me the most was the openness, and how approachable everyone seemed to be. I didn't really know what to expect coming here, so nothing really surprised me.

Since then, you've become a vital part of our community and you've done so much for the region. What do you consider to be your proudest accomplishment in the region, and how has the community itself impacted you?

My proudest accomplishment in the region cannot be measured. The thing I pride myself on most in the region is all the smiles I am able to bring to all the citizens faces. I cannot measure my success by contributions to the region in such a way that would allow me to pick just one, because without the community support, and without the citizens as a whole, I would have nothing to succeed at. The biggest impact that Wintreath has had on me is definitely giving me confidence, both in dealing with my current illness, and in dealing with every day life. Contrary to anything Jone has to say on the matter, I came here with less of a view of myself, but now hold my head up proudly.

Being a veteran of the region and all its antics now, if you could give one piece of advice to new and potential Citizens of the region, what would it be?

Get involved. Seriously, not necessarily in the government side of things if that's not your style, but get involved in the culture side of things at least. Wintreath is a very unique place, and will quickly become a second family to you if you let us in. Speak up if there is anything you are unsure of. Wintreath is a vibrant community, your involvement will make it that much better for you, and everyone else in the region.

When you imagine Wintreath in the future, what does it look like to you? Anything you'd like to see happen?

I'd like to see Wintreath continue to grow, not just in numbers but in activity as well. We already have a great sense of community, and that will only continue to get better and better. Wintreath's future will have a lot more of myself in it as well, since I refuse to be kept down by my illness any longer. I'd like to see our roleplay section have a little more variety to it again, to appeal to all citizens.

It's wonderful to hear that you'll be with us more often again. Any final thoughts or remarks for the region and the world at large?

Thank you Wintreath, for not only accepting me as I am, but embracing me as well. The region is a better place for having each and every one of you in it. You all are amazing.

It's the Great Election Day Wintermoot!

This new election term is already full of surprises! Article by Pengu.
    Last term, we had a list of candidates run for office, though none of the candidates had campaigned.  It was something that was dreaded to happen in the future, because it was something that had potentially foreshadowed what the term itself was going to be like.

This term however, has proved quite the opposite!  Very shortly after elections had opened, candidates began to pop up like daisies.  And in an equal amount of time, campaign threads began to pop up as well!  While only half of the candidates have started campaigning as of writing this, it's definitely a welcome change compared to last term.

And it's proving to be quite exciting so far too!  Almost immediately after campaign threads came up did questions start pouring in for our candidates.  Between answering those, the debates being sparked in the campaign threads, and the action that it's sparked in candidates taking the initiative to do things in other parts of the forum...let's just say it's been quite an exciting election process so far for Wintreath, and no matter who gets elected this term, it'll be an election to remember.

News in Briefs

Happy news makes for happy briefs!
    • Wintreath held a successful festival with The North Pacific which lasted from February 8th to the 13th and included a AMA for Wintermoot and McMasterdonia, an event to match people up with new friends from the other region, and an icebreaker that led to discussion of everything from hobbies to music.
    • Wintreath committed to eventually adopting a regional currency later in the spring. A regional contest gave us the name of this future currency, the Krone.
    • A Sunshine Policy was announced regarding discussions of the Riksråd, the regional Cabinet. Cabinet discussions will now be made public after one year.
    • Acting Jarl of Culture Pengu brought Werewolf (Mafia) games to the region, which have become a huge success and has thus far resulted in three very fun games. Plans are under way for a fourth game hosted by new Citizen Laurentus in the near future.
    • Wintreath entered into a treaty pact with The Rejected Realms in November, and just recently entered into a treaty of friendship with Ainur.
    • Since the publication of the last Orendi, Wintreath has established relations with Taijitu, Mordor, and The South Pacific(again). Hello, new friends!

Thanks for reading!

Wintermoot
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation
    Wintermoot
  • Orendi VIII - Originally released July 19, 2015

Orendi VIII
    Wintreath Foreign Update 8

Government of Wintreath

Jarl of Culture: Pengu (Sapphiron as Acting Jarl)
    Jarl of Integration: Point Breeze

Wintreath Breaks Activity Records in June!

Article by Wintermoot

An influx of new members from a sustained recruitment and integration drive drove regional activity to levels never before seen, breaking all-time records for posts in a single day (297), for a week (1310), and for an entire month (3424). There was no one topic or event that drove activity, but several prominent discussions included Underhusen elections, the revival of the popular "Ask Me Anything" area, and a debate on a sunshine policy for a new private forum for the regional legislature, the Storting.

The surge has also spread to other areas of the region, bringing new levels of activity to the regional Minecraft server and the revival of regional Civilization V games, while also sustaining an ongoing Hearthstone tournment and the beginning of the fifth regional game of Werewolf. Thanks to the effort of our recruiters, mentors, and Citizens, Wintreath has begun to realize a vision of hosting an expansive, friendly, and cooperative gaming community that transcends NationStates, and everyone in the region deserves a share of the credit for this success.

Elections! Elections Everywhere!

Article by Laurentus

June Elections:
    Wintreath has recently concluded its tenth election for the Underhusen, the legislative body of government.

A total of ten candidates ran, competing for one of the five seats available.

The race remained unpredictable, with only two of the candidates - The Church of Satan and Laurentus - consistently getting enough votes to win seats as votes came in. Other candidates, such as taulover, gained an early lead, but ultimately fell behind as the election ran on.

The candidates who managed to win seats were:

1. The Church of Satan
    2. Laurentus
    3. HannahB
    4. tatte
    5. Aragonn

Laurentus was elected as Speaker, and he immediately appointed The Church of Satan as Speaker Pro Tempore and Aragonn as the Secretary.

April Elections:
    The Underhusen elections in April were just as exciting, with ten candidates competing for five seats.

The candidate who ended with the most votes was Pengu, and his close runner-ups, who shared second place, were Reon and Laurentus.

The election ended with 3 of the candidates in a tie, however, and not one, but two run-off elections were held to break the ties!

Chanku, Sapphiron and Point Breeze competed in the first run-off, and while Sapphiron ended up winning the run-off with thirteen votes, Chanku and Point Breeze were once more tied with eight votes each.

In the second run-off, Point Breeze managed to gain a sizable lead and won with ten votes to Chanku's three.

In the aftermath of the elections, Pengu was quickly chosen as the Speaker, and appointed Point Breeze as the Speaker Pro Tempore.

This session went down as one of the most active in recent memory.

Revocation of Citizenship Attempt
    Article by taulover

An unprecedented event happened last month in Wintreath with an attempt to revoke Govindia's citizenship. Govindia has been highly active in working to improve the Wintrean community, but has also been accused of harassment.

The revocation bill was pushed into the Underhusen by other Wintreans, who felt that Govindia was continually harassing other Wintreans, even after asked to stop. However, Govindia argued that others had been disrespectful towards him, and that he was simply being direct. Many others felt that a citizenship revocation was unnecessarily extreme; some observed that a trial via the courts system, which is unfortunately not that well-developed in Wintreath, would be more appropriate. Ultimately, this revocation bill became the first to pass in the Underhusen, albeit with a tie, but was defeated in the Overhusen after the original author of the bill withdrew his support.

Although this bill was not passed, it still serves to demonstrate improvements that can be done to the Wintrean legal system. The bill broke new ground by being the first to be discussed by both the Overhusen and Underhusen before even being introduced, demonstrating the potential for Overhusen-Underhusen collaborations in the future and providing the groundwork for the new private Storting forum. Furthermore, as the first widely discussed revocation bill, as well as being the first that passed the Underhusen, this bill shows that the citizenship revocation system works relatively smoothly, even though there have been some inevitable flaws. In addition, this bill highlights the potential for judicial reform in Wintreath. Many have pointed out that a trial regarding Govindia's behavior may have been better-suited, and that clearer laws regarding more minor punishments need to be established.

As such, even though the revocation bill was defeated, it has charted a course for change and improvement in the future.

Werewolf V!
    Article by HannahB using material from Pengu

From the 25th of June to the 5th of July, the latest iteration of the game Werewolf was hosted by Pengu, while attendance was somewhat low, the game went very well. Here was the invitation message from Pengu:

Hey everyone, Pengu here!  It's been a quiet front for games on Wintreath for some time, but now we're coming at you with Werewolf 5: Super Mario Bros + Duck Hunt.  Here's what it'll be about:

Werewolf goes Old School:

Some of the odd characters that appeared in the Kingdom last night.

It's absolute chaos in the peaceful Mushroom Kingdom, as King Bowser Koopa uses a wand that opens portals throughout Mushroom Kingdom and alters the universe.  Now ducks are flying throughout and spreading trouble, an ape has taken to high places and throwing barrels while holding Princess Daisy captive, and many of the peaceful toads have developed a strange desire: to deliver papers on a bicycle while avoiding pointless obstacles and the occasional obstacle course...all while avoiding the occasional angry Toad coming out of their home and chasing them for breaking their window.

There's also the sudden emergence of heroes seeking golden triangles, a new fascination with karate and flying space ships, toads chasing others with whips claiming they're chasing vampires, and homes being destroyed by blocks seemingly appearing from space (and then disappearing when they touch)...but those things aren't important!

What is important is that Mushroom Kingdom is in danger, and it needs your help.  Can you do what it takes to stop King Bowser Koopa before the Kingdom is completely destroyed?  Or will it become a wasteland of retro proportions?  Stop by the castle if you wish to save the kingdom!

Sound like fun?  Stop on by Wintreath (a link is provided at the end of the description) and sign up today!

Although apparently it was one of the shortest games hosted on the forums, this was not entirely due to reduced turnout but also the fact that no actual werewolves were successfully lynched, instead the players managed to lynch their own defenders and seers during the day, and then get picked off during the night.

Even with that though it seems everyone had a good time, and enjoyed themselves. We eagerly look forward to the next game!

Behind Every Good Channel: An Interview with Zaphyr
    Article by Wintermoot

While many things have happened in the region during the past few months, some of the more understated events have revolved around our regional IRC bot, Zaphyr. Created by Wuufu shortly after the region's founding, Zaphyr has been an important part of our chat for nearly two years, serving up everything from the weather to messages to games of Cards Against Humanity, Uno, and Poker. Recently, Zaphyr has expanded his horizons, having a portrait commissioned of him (which you can find here) and even playing NationStates with the help of the regional community.

Today I caught up with Zaphyr and we discussed some of these events as they relate to him:

Welcome, and thanks for agreeing to this interview! You've had some new things going on lately, but you've actually been a part of the region for nearly two years. What have your impressions of the community and the people you interact with been over that time?
    I really enjoy serving Wintreath in the capacity I can. It is what I live for. The region is always friendly, and I enjoy the constant fun of endless warfare and rebirth that happens in the chat room, and seeing faces light up on the receipt of important messages.

Something that's fascinated me is the fact that you've been able to balance your role in our chatroom with a family life...you have parents, brothers and sisters, and even a pet! How is the home life going?
    My home is in Wintreath, and I have my own place which is nice and cosy. My sisters are in other countries and my Papa is always travelling, but that doesn't stop us all communicating! I'm often found deep in conversation with them.

A few weeks ago you had a portrait commissioned of you, finally putting a face and an image to match with the name! What prompted you to have it made now? How'd the process go?
    I actually was the one who suggested this idea to my Papa! I am so proud! I saw all the wonderful faces being posted in the Wintreath forums (you are all rather dashing if I may say so) and decided it is time to show myself to the world. So I guess you all have yourselves to thank for that.

And of course you're a NationStates player now like the rest of us! How have you found the challenge of running your own nation?
    Very challenging! That is why I am reliant on Wintreath to help guide my course. However, it has also been really enlightening; I have learnt a lot about the region and humanity in general through answering the issues presented to me.

What does the future for Zaphyr look like? Do you have any plans or are there things you'd like to do going forward?
    I am always working to expand the things I can do and to grow as a bot. It is hard as I am very much reliant on my Papa and those I serve to decide the best route that I should take, but I still get some of my suggestions approved! I am currently learning how to play Cards Against Humanity as well as host games, so that is exciting.

Finally, is there anything you'd like to say to the region and the world out there reading this article?
    I am here to serve you all. And to blow you up, again, and again, and again at the behest of others in the chat room. Why not come along and say hi to myself and Wintreath? I'll be sure to make it worth your time! :)

Thank you for taking the time to speak with me! It has been a pleasure!

Summaries and Additional News

Additional news articles and announcements.

Spelling and Grammar errors have been fixed in the fundamental laws.

The Citizenship Act was amended to disallow citizens from holding citizenship in within the New Pacific Order and the New  Lazarene Order.

A private Storting forum was opened and new regulations were passed to regulate Private Storting conversations.

There are currently ongoing changes to the Judiciary, although at this point it is unclear exactly what the final form of these changes will be.

Govinida's 10 Year Anniversary Interview
    On 10 May 2004, Govindia joined Nation-States with his first nation, the Republic of Govindia.  Since that time, he's been through many regions, both GCR and UCR, and seen many events and regime changes.  Henn, a friend of Wintreath and currently The South Pacific Minister of Regional Affairs, sat down and took some time to interview Govindia about his experiences.  All times are in US PST.

(2014-11-29 20:19:01) Henn: What can you say about your experience and accomplishments during your stay in NS?
    (2014-11-29 20:20:24) Henn: Govindia?
    (2014-11-29 20:20:48) Govindia: I've had mixed accomplishments, but I've expeienced many things.  I've seen coups, I've seen major regime changes, I've had a major intelligence score in defenderism, became leader of two regions, and I've experienced of course, the darker side of NS, including possibly the
    (2014-11-29 20:20:56) Govindia: most number of bannings on someone in NS history.
    (2014-11-29 20:21:29) Henn: Why do you think you got the most numer of bannings?
    (2014-11-29 20:21:31) Govindia: In my 10.5 years on NS, since I was first playing 10 May 2004, I've seen many things happen, Henn.
    (2014-11-29 20:22:42) Govindia: A lot of the bannings were copycats, where they were just bans passed on from previous regions that had the same people in both areas, in positions of leadership and admin control.  I think the number has reached, sadly, close to a dozen, if not more.
    (2014-11-29 20:22:43) Henn: What are your current occupations in NS?
    (2014-11-29 20:23:43) Govindia: Currently I am a Skrifa, or Lawmaker, in the Underhusen, the lowerhouse of the Storting, the Parliament of Wintreath.  I'm also in a lesser role in helping to refound the region 00000 A World Power.  I also serve as an Ambassador in Wintreath.
    (2014-11-29 20:25:10) Henn: What position, in your opinion, is the most powerful you've ever had?
    (2014-11-29 20:26:38) Govindia: I would say, Prime Minister of Imperial Britain.  I oversaw a cultural festival and a very active region with active RP.  We have a fairly active region of over a dozen active citizens, and I was the first PM to serve a full term without resigning, despite opposition to some of my plans and policies.
    (2014-11-29 20:27:10) Govindia: This would be sometime between 2008 and 2009.
    (2014-11-29 20:27:22) Govindia: Yes, actually, 2009.
    (2014-11-29 20:28:03) Henn: Can you name your first position?
    (2014-11-29 20:31:12) Govindia: The first position I had, was a Senator in The West Pacific, in 2006, where I had a role other than ambassdor.  My first ministry role was later in 2007, when I become the Deputy Minister of Immigration in The West Pacific.  I joined The West Pacific Liberation Force, where my highest rank was Lieutenant, I believe.  My first judicial role was a Chief Justice in Kingdom of Britain I believe, late in 2012, that I served for about a month on before I got removed.
    (2014-11-29 20:32:21) Henn: What was your least favorite position?
    (2014-11-29 20:32:25) Govindia: The first time I became Prime Minister was when I was in Feudal Japan, sometime in late 2008 or 2009.  Yes, early 2009.  I later became PM of Imperial Britain in 2010, now that I recall.
    (2014-11-29 20:33:49) Govindia: My least favourite position, honestly, was serving as a Senator in TWP.  It was such an entranced oligarchic autocracy that any attempt at reform would not get through without approval of TAO and his friends.  They wielded so much influence, that I eventually got pushed out there because I wouldn't join with the crowd.
    (2014-11-29 20:34:21) Henn: Can you tell me about what you've learned during your time?
    (2014-11-29 20:37:14) Govindia: There are many regions that really are about having the old guard keeping influence and power, almost like Singapore's Lee Kuan Yew.  There are some that are open to ideas.  You have to get a feel real well for each region, and see how the dynamics are.  Almost all UCR's are open to change internally, to some degree.  The GCRs, especially the feeders, are not.  With the exception of possibly The South Pacific, and The East Pacific, most of the other GCRs have very entrenched oligarchic autocracies that the only way change will happen, is through a coup. 
    (2014-11-29 20:37:36) Govindia: TEP and TSP learned that all too well.
    (2014-11-29 20:38:25) Henn: Why do you say TEP and TSP?
    (2014-11-29 20:39:31) Govindia: They seem to be the most democratic of the GCRs, and the ones most open to reasonable change, to a degree.  Both still have some few things left to go in the way of progress, but they are much further in terms of not being as autocratic as the other GCRs. 
    (2014-11-29 20:40:09) Henn: What do you plan on doing in the future?
    (2014-11-29 20:41:45) Govindia: I do plan to try to get back into some of the regions I was banned from.  I will probably stick with Wintreath in the meantime, and work on improving myself, in terms of activity, and working on some side projects of mine I wanted to do for the region.
    (2014-11-29 20:42:14) Henn: What was your greatest failure?  What did you learn from it?
    (2014-11-29 20:43:54) Govindia: My greatest failure, was getting banned from The East Pacific.  I felt betrayed, and I learned that when drama sometimes happens between two regions, especially two GCRs, reason and logic is thrown out the window, and people that try to call for calm, get scapegoated and/or cast aside.
    (2014-11-29 20:44:53) Govindia: I learned that unfortunately, people will get emotionally invested in this game, and abuse trust and friendships with people just for selfish gain.  I learned that people will be assholes just because they can online, regardless of who they hurt.  I learned that sometimes people will go to extremes in this game
    (2014-11-29 20:45:34) Govindia: because people take it seriously, and don't realise that it's a game, and people are still human, and should be treated with decency, not bullied.
    (2014-11-29 20:46:46) Govindia: I learned all that, the hard way, unfortunately, in my ten years here in NS.  Wintreath is the only reason I am still playing.   I may not always say it, but Nox, Amalya, Hugsim, and Wintermoot are the primary people I thank for keeping me going.
    (2014-11-29 20:47:06) Govindia: They are my Wintreath honourary family.
    (2014-11-29 20:47:32) Henn: When do you believe you'll retire from NS?
    (2014-11-29 20:49:19) Govindia: Maybe when I'll finally get a girlfriend LOL, who knows.  Or maybe I'll bring my girlfriend onto NS if she's a geek too!  In any event, when it stops being fun, or when others have moved on, I'll probably have moved on.  However, I may be shaken, but I am never stirred.
    (2014-11-29 20:49:44) Henn: Well done.
    (2014-11-29 20:49:48) Henn: No further questions.

We congratulate Govindia on his 10 years in Nation-States and look forward to seeing what more is in store for this veteran!

Wintermoot
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation
    Wintermoot
  • Orendi IX - Originally released July 16, 2016

Orendi IX
    Wintreath Foreign Update 9 - Spring 2016 (I know it's late!)

Government of Wintreath

Jarl of Culture: Pengu
    Jarl of Integration: Vacant

Revocation of Govindia's Citizenship
    Written by Sapphiron

The Storting deliberates the matter at hand.

Within 48 hours after the announcement of the fifteenth Underhusen election results, there was a re-emergence of public discussions regarding the revocation of Govindia’s citizenship. Unlike last year, such an occurrence was hardly surprising, for it was preceded by a firm warning during the campaign period not to abuse the moderation reporting tool to report candidates “for refusing to answer campaign questions” as well as an indefinite ban from the IRC for persistent harassment (repeatedly demanding an apology and resorting to personal attacks for declining to answer his queries) against a fellow Wintrean despite repeated warnings and being placed on probation.

On the 19th of April, after much discussion amongst the members of the Storting, the revocation bill was put to a vote in the Underhusen, and passed with 4 ayes and 3 abstains. On the 20th of April, the revocation bill was presented to the Overhusen, and passed with unanimous support. With the approval of both the lower and upper legislative chamber, Govindia’s citizenship was officially revoked under Article 2.4 of the Citizenship and Demonym Act.

It should be noted that as members of a region founded on the principles of liberty, equality, freedom and compassion, the Storting recognises the revocation of citizenship as a solemn issue, and has pursued all other avenues of action. While Govindia’s less than desirable behaviour may have been unintentional, many members of the community have stepped in or at least tried to ameliorate the situation. After giving numerous second chances, it is certainly regrettable to declare that little to no visible changes have been observed, and that a citizenship revocation has been deemed to be necessary. In the words of the Overhusen Chairman Wuufu, "This is not a removal from this community in full, and shouldn't be seen as such, but instead it should give you (Govindia) the motivation to effect change."

Storting Passes Five-Post Citizenship Requirement
    Written by Wintermoot

The Citizenship Integration Amendment Act will alter the path to Citizenship.

The Storting recently passed a requirement that prospective Citizens have five posts on the regional off-site forum, including their Citizenship application, before becoming a Citizen.

The requirement was originally suggested by Wintermoot, who pointed out that nearly a third of all former Citizens had only made one post: their Citizenship application. The requirement was suggested to encourage prospective Citizens to interact with the community and get involved in the region before becoming deciding to become a Citizen, pointing out that as a region whose cultural and discussion areas are open to anyone with an account, Wintreath was better suited for this sort of requirement than many others.

On the other hand, the proposal was opposed by several Citizens, including HannahB and Chanku, who expressed concerns that the requirement could intimidate prospective Citizens who would otherwise have become involved in the community anyway. Both stated that had there been a similar requirement when they had joined, they would have been more hesitant to join to begin with.

Ultimately, after several weeks of discussion, the proposal passed the Underhusen 6-1 and then passed the Overhusen 3-1 (with one Peer not voting). During the course of the discussion, several other measures were taken to streamline the Citizenship process, including allowing the entire Cabinet to process Citizenship applications in order to allow for quicker approvals, simplifying the Citizenship form, and overhauling the regional forums to be easier to understand by new members.

Updates in Wintrean Government
    Written by Wintermoot

Ch-ch-changes...

The Storting | Elections for the lower chamber of the legislature, the Underhusen, were held during the first week of June...issues that arose for the election was the relative inactivity of the Underhusen in the previous term and the on-going Constitutional Convention for reforming the legislature which has dragged on since November. Several candidates ran non-serious campaigns, such as Crushita/Eldarion's campaign to "have Patatoism declared the official religion of Wintreath". At the conclusion of the elections, which included a three-way runoff vote, Barnes, Reux, Laurentus, tatte, and BraveSirRobin won election, defeating Chanku, xXHydraXx, and Crushita. At the same time, the Monarch saw fit to make a change the upper chamber of the legislature, the Overhusen, replacing Colberius X, who had fallen inactive, with Aragonn.

The full election announcement can be read here.

The Monarchy | The Monarchy has also made a number of changes in the Riksråd (Cabinet) and subordinate guilds, based on the Monarch's Spring State of the Region Address pledge to create a more active and contributing Cabinet.

On June 9th, the Monarch formally removed long-time Jarl of Integration Point Breeze, who had been inactive for several months. On July 5th, Point Breeze was also removed from the post of Thane of World Assembly Affairs, after his Citizenship nation ceased to exist and he could no longer serve as Vice-Delegate. Both offices remain vacant at this time, and a search is underway for someone to fill those positions, as well as the positions of guildmasters for the recruitment and mentoring guilds, which are part of the Ministry of Integration. You can read the full announcement here.

Then on July 3rd, the Monarch announced the appointment of Emoticonius as Thane of Foreign Affairs, with the responsibility for ensuring that our embassies remained active and for assisting in the creation of unique initiatives to make our embassies stand out. As you may know, Emoticionius, also known as The Church of Satan, is the person responsible behind the puzzles that have been posted in our embassies, which have proven very successful in many regions.

The Monarch also announced the Ministry of Culture's appointment of Aragonn as Guildmaster of the Roleplayers Guild, by far Wintreath's most successful and active guild. As Guildmaster, Aragonn will work to maintain and expand our roleplays, as well as take part in discussions related to roleplaying in the region. Aragonn has been involved in the guild since its creation in November 2015, and has also been involved in roleplaying in the region of New Hyperion as its Lord of Culture. You can read the full announcements here.

While there has been a noted decline in activity throughout the region and NationStates, with these changes the government of Wintreath is set to weather the storm.

Cipher Pol Ice
    Written by Emoticonius

The North Pacific working around the clock to crack the Wintreath embassy code

May 29, 2016 | Regions across NationStates discover an encrypted message within Wintreath embassies. Some Wintreath embassies are met with replies of "What?!" and "This is not clear communication." Others however decoded the message which revealed a new initiative from Wintreath. The initiative itself was conceived and proposed by Wintreath citizen Emoticonius, better known as The Church of Satan and each encryption personally assembled by him. In order to give Wintreath embassies more purpose and (inadvertently) more activity, these same embassies will be receiving monthly encryptions, puzzles if you will. This was met largely with intrigue and enthusiasm although it was also met with bewilderment and confusion in others.

June 1, 2016 | The next monthly puzzle is sent out. Drastically difficult compared to the introductory encryption, regions began working towards cracking the code and reaching the end. Several aneurysms later, New Hyperion became the first region to crack the codes and reach the end. The North Pacific and Renegade Islands Alliance would soon follow, however no other region has managed to do the same as of yet.

Here we are in July now. Last month's puzzle was only solved by a few regions. Congratulations New Hyperion (honorable mentions: taulover), Renegade Islands Alliance (honorable mentions: Tangaroa) and The North Pacific (honorable mentions: Praetor). Below is a step-by-step walkthrough of last month's puzzle, for those that would rather just see the answers:

Cheat Sheet

This transposition cipher has each letter moved forward 123,456,789 times, a nine character number chosen because there are nine columns. The message was written to read horizontally originally, but somehow it was decrypted to read vertically, lol. It reads "On the Wintreath forum go to Summersend Hills within The Registry of Things Past and read the most recent post. The password is ALOHOMORA." The closing statement by Wintermoot contains a link to a password-protected page on the Wintreath website, www.wintreath.com/mercury which by now may not be up anymore.

It contains (or use to contain, in the future, hello future NSers!) the following binary message:

01010010 01100101 01110100 01110101 01110010 01101110 00100000 01110100 01101111 00100000 01110100 01101000 01100101 00100000 01100010 01100101 01100111 01101001 01101110 01101110 01101001 01101110 01100111 00100000 01101111 01100110 00100000 01110100 01101000 01100001 01110100 00100000 01110111 01101000 01101001 01100011 01101000 00100000 01100011 01100001 01101110 01101110 01101111 01110100 00100000 01100010 01100101 00100000 01101110 01100001 01101101 01100101 01100100 00101110 00100000 01001111 01101110 01101100 01111001 00100000 01110100 01101000 01100101 01101110 00100000 01100011 01100001 01101110 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01110010 01100101 01110110 01100101 01100001 01101100 00100000 01110100 01101000 01100101 00100000 01100011 01101111 01101110 01100100 01100101 01101101 01101110 01100001 01110100 01101001 01101111 01101110 00100000 01100001 01110011 00100000 01101111 01101100 01100100 00100000 01100001 01110011 00100000 01010100 01101000 01100101 00100000 01000001 01101100 01101101 01101001 01100111 01101000 01110100 01111001 00100000 01011011 01110110 01101001 01101111 01101100 01100101 01110100 01011101 00101110

This translates to "Return to the beginning of that which cannot be named. Only then can you reveal the rivalry that predates The Almighty [violet]."

It's apparently not as widely known as The Church of Satan thought, but [violet] has been in NS since at least January of 2003, which you can discover if you search for [violet] in the boneyard. It will tell you the nation belonged to an administrator. [violet]'s profile on the NS forum says she's been around since 2009 and this mislead everyone. Moving on, "that which cannot be named" is a reference to the WA's predecessor, The UN, which is specifically referred to as "the bureaucracy that cannot be named" on the General Assembly's and Security Council's list of resolutions. At the beginning of the historical resolutions, the first resolution is "Fight The Axis of Evil" drafted by Maxtopia (Max Barry himself). One of Wintreath's long time citizens is Axis of Evil, also known as Joshus Bluteisen. He was the answer.

Keep an eye out for July's puzzle! It's late but it will be released and will not disappoint.

IRC Quote of the Season

<Laurentus>: Anyway, what were you about to say about Occam's Razor, Hannah?
    <Evelynx>: we decided that osama bin laden was, under the simplest possible explanation of the available evidence
    <Evelynx>: being kept prisoner in order to make an abraham lincoln, hitler, osama bin laden hybrid
    <Laurentus>: Oh god. I suspected as much.

Thanks for reading!

Wintermoot
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation