Pages: [1]

The Lore of Royan

Gattoartico
  • Former Citizen
  • Idk tbh
  • So with the thread and encouragement from Crushita I have decided to start a thread for my books. So, without further ado I present the world of Royan!

Royan is a world similar in size to Old Earth with just as diverse a clime. Just not as orderly as Old Earth's. It has two major continents, Ecranti and Shang-li, as well as five smaller continents, Suthin, Horgarrsh, Tura, Tormenca, and Pindar.

Five Empires and thirty-one Kingdoms share this world. The Empires are as follows: The Immortal Empire, The Shang-tau, The Vena, The Seyon, and The Broken Empire.
    Each Empire is a powerful force that commands vast swathes of land and numerous legions to project their influence.

The Immortal Empire:
    Capital: High Town
    Government: Imperial Democracy
    Chief Warbeast: The Warden's Constructs(hellish, undead fiends made from the worst prisoners the Oarthank Prison has ever held)
    Elite Unit: Imperial Guard, Impassables, Knights Teutonic, Tembla's Battle-Brothers

Blurb: Most of the books are set here, the birthplace of gods and Emperors. Controlling some of the mightiest divine relics, The Empire's Western border has never been breached due to both The Black Gate and the mountain range known as the Impassables.
    Relic Constructs:
    The Black Gate
    The Tower of the Oarthank
    The Great Pyramid
    The Walls of High Town
    The God-Forge
    Frostholm Fortress

The Broken Empire:
    War-Capital: The Burning Keep
    Government: Fuedal Democracy
    Chief Warbeast: Firelord(dragon)
    Elite Unit: Burning Guard(fire based weapons)

Blurb: A bordering Empire to the Immortal Empire, it has a system of government similar to the Immortal with the main differences being that there is no Emperor except in times of war.
    Relic Constructs:
    The Burning Keep

Will add more as I dig through my written stuff for the other three empires. In the meantime enjoy some of my other works on wattpad. https://www.wattpad.com/user/Travaller
    4 people like this post: Fortis Scriptor, Elbbsas, Gerrick, Crushita
    « Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 01:00:37 AM by Gattoartico »
    End of Time

I remember there in the dawn,
    When the suns rose and rose,
    That never could I know,
    A sight more grand than this.

Now I sit here in the dusk,
    While the suns die and die,
    That never will I see a sight more sad,
    Or a sight more beautiful.
    Gattoartico
    • Idk tbh
    • Never did we fear the sun, for we were the heathen kings of old.
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Wintreath Nation
    Fortis Scriptor
  • Former Citizen
  • Writing Addict and Sadistic God of Mithra
  • Very interesting! I'll have to explore your stories on wattpad  8)
    1 person likes this post: Gattoartico

Fortis Scriptor
    • Writing Addict and Sadistic God of Mithra
    • Big fan of good conversation
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Wintreath Nation
    Gattoartico
  • Former Citizen
  • Idk tbh
  • Very interesting! I'll have to explore your stories on wattpad  8)

Thanks Fortis! I hope you enjoy what I have over there, it's not much since most of my time is devoted to world building, but it's something!
    1 person likes this post: Fortis Scriptor
    End of Time

That never could I know,

Gattoartico
    • Idk tbh
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Wintreath Nation
    Elbbsas
  • Citizen
  • Well, there's not really enough there for me to form an opinion. =D I guess Royan is a fantasy world (building off of the mentions of fiends, gods, and dragons)? Until otherwise stated, I'm gunna picture D&D.

Be careful not to burn yourself out in working on fiddly details. (Ignore how this is coming from someone who very much enjoys fiddly details more than actual writing). I'd recommend avoiding making a map if you have not done one yet. Maps tend to artificially constrain things.

I'm curious as to what the Relic Constructs are. The more I look at this, the more it looks like city outlines for a video game. ("Elite Units" is what's provoking that idea, I think).
    Elbbsas
    • Citizen
    • Familial House
      Kaizer
      Wintreath Nation
    Gattoartico
  • Former Citizen
  • Idk tbh
  • Well, there's not really enough there for me to form an opinion. =D I guess Royan is a fantasy world (building off of the mentions of fiends, gods, and dragons)? Until otherwise stated, I'm gunna picture D&D.

Be careful not to burn yourself out in working on fiddly details. (Ignore how this is coming from someone who very much enjoys fiddly details more than actual writing). I'd recommend avoiding making a map if you have not done one yet. Maps tend to artificially constrain things.

I'm curious as to what the Relic Constructs are. The more I look at this, the more it looks like city outlines for a video game. ("Elite Units" is what's provoking that idea, I think).

I made a map so that I wouldn't forget the actual arrangement of things and to avoid breaking my own rules...

The Relic Constructs are split into two groups, Precursor and Nathurian. Precursor constructs were there before humanity was while Nathurian Constructs were built by the Immortal Empire's Founder Old Lord Nathuri Tyrannous, who also is one of the Gods of the Empire.

Precursor Constructs are often ruins with some strategic or economical importance. Nathurian Constructs are mostly fortresses or mystic relics filled with immense power.

Elite Units are just best troops an Empire has to offer(I didn't intend for a video game feel but I do intend on making Civ mods for them). Often the elite unit is tied to a god since they actively involve themselves with mortals.(and that all but two of them were human once[Nathuri is a primordial God born from the condensed storms of Chaos while his husband Talcung was a king of the Nūlshtaval, an ancient humanoid species that once ruled over mankind, Nathuri made him into a god])

My next post should be on the main gods, explaining their importance, powers, and relations.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    1 person likes this post: Elbbsas
    End of Time

That never could I know,

Gattoartico
    • Idk tbh
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Wintreath Nation
    Gattoartico
  • Former Citizen
  • Idk tbh
  • The Gods of the Immortal Empire(Emelnÿa Eganÿama in Imperial Standard)

Originally they were not worshipped as gods. Nathuri insisted that the Empire know them only as Immortals and its defenders. But during the Sundered Years these Immortals became worshipped by lesser men to the point where even the Grand Master could not stop it. This post will list only the Ten Kings, the major gods. Some are Keepers of one of the Sixteen Sacred Flames, something another post will be devoted to.

Old Lord Nathuri Tyrannous, The Father of Empire, Keeper of Druidsfire: He was ancient when Talcung was born in 70,000 BCE. Nathuri is the last born son of Chaos and the Primordial Truth of Nature. Known as the Weaponsmith of the Gods he forged all of the God Weapons as well as designed and built a majority of the Relic Constructs on Royan. He married his oldest love Talcung and helped father most of the Imperial gods.

Talcung the Thrice-Woken, Keeper of Frostfire, Lord of Frostholm: Talcung was a Nūlshtaval King born in 70,000 BCE in what would become Norway, he married the only being that ever caught his attention and saw the good buried in his foul heart. When he died Nathuri caught his soul and kept it from truly severing its bonds with his essence, effectively cheating death in a way that even the Lord Reaper can't oppose. Now an immortal God of ice and snow he was the first elected Emperor and currently guards it's northern borders from the Nathurian Relic Construct Frostholm. Fathered most of the Imperial gods with Nathuri.

Lord Tembla, Warmaster of Empire, Keeper of Dragonsfire: born in 1999 CE, he is not the youngest of the gods but not remotely close to the oldest. Nathuris' blood flows in his veins and turned him from a man into a god. He is the eternal Warmaster of the Empires armies and is the Imperial God of War. One of the few gods to not have married he is known to enjoy the company of the Warden, if only to sooth the Wardens' insanity. He and the Warden fathered two Imperial war gods, Anguish and Torment.

Lord Warden, the mad Titan, the final punishment: Born in 1998 CE he is marginally older than Tembla. He rules the prison fortress of the Oarthank, an isolated tower that eventually drove him mad with solitude. For centuries he has taken the worst criminals the Empire can give him and the foulest souls Hellstorm can send him, all to experiment and reconstruct the poor beings into horrid monstrosities of flesh and dark magic. These things serve as his unwavering and undying legions on the battlefield. He possesses one of the fifty wolfstones known as the Demons' Heart. Mothers use stories of his evils to scare children into doing what they're told. Fathered Torment and Anguish.

Lord Hellstorm, King of the Afterworld, Keeper of Hadesfire: Born in 2000 CE. The horned and winged God of the Imperial Afterlife he is seen as a kind yet stern being with only the best in mind for the souls in his care. He dwells within the Gilded Temple, a structure he and the Lord Reaper built for themselves. Fathered the Collector and the Phantom with the Lord Reaper.

Lord Reaper, Angel of Death, Reaper of Gods: born 2000 CE. He is the Imperial God of death and guide of souls to the Afterworld. Men sacrifice to him only when they are in dire need of divine intervention, something he is known to give but harsh in his delivery. He is one of the Imperial Angels, a group of the gods that have wings. Dwells in the Gilded Temple. Fathered the Collector and the Phantom.

Lord Captain, master of the Inland Sea, lord of the waves: Born in 1999 CE. The Imperial God of the sea and all its inhabitants. He is known for his eternal vigil in the Watch waiting for any foe of Empire to come his way. No significant other but he did father the Navigator and the Fisherman with Nathuri when he wanted to save two humans from death.

Lord Skyfire, Lord of the Impassables, Keeper of Skyfire: Born in 1998 CE. Imperial God of the sky and the storm. He rules the mountain range that defines the Empires' Western border. Known to be a wild and unpredictable deity he fathered two gods on accident when he was drunk and cloaked himself in Talcung's form. Nathuri was not pleased. The gods were Meltōm Vashin and Sevck Khan.

Lord Treasurer, Master of the Vaults, Keeper of memory: born in 1999 CE. He is a God of money and mathematics. He alone knows and recognizes every single Imperial coin in circulation for they all have made their way to him at some point. He has prevented the Empire from going bankrupt numerous times due to his habit of stashing large amounts of wealth in the deep vaults, a place doesn't normally go.

Grand Master Tomas, Defender of the faiths, Keeper of Heavensfire: Born in 1999 CE. He is the Imperial God of religion. He exists to make sure no one faith gains too much power in the Senate or Imperial Court(that was his duty before worship as a god). His Order of the Knights Teutonic are devoted to maintaining religious equality and act as a police force. He is the only immortal to have lost his sight during the transition from man to God. He uses the very fires of heaven to see.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    1 person likes this post: Fortis Scriptor
    End of Time

That never could I know,

Gattoartico
    • Idk tbh
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Wintreath Nation
    Gattoartico
  • Former Citizen
  • Idk tbh
  • Look guys I did a thing.

Over the next few weeks I do plan on releasing the Formative Years of the Immortal Empire. So hopefully y'all will get to see that. So it may only be 36 years of history but it is jam-packed. For now though enjoy the speculations of The Fall by Razkell Lurinius, one of the foremost Imperial Historians.

Spoiler
    There are many stories of The Fall, of which are true none can say. Such things have been lost to us. Some say Tyrannous knows the truth of The Fall. If he does I doubt he would ever say. As he is known to say: “What good is a truth which sounds more fanciful than the things born out of dreams?”

The Fall has many names in many lands. The term The Fall has become universal more than anything else. For every story is different, The Shang-Tau claim that the Great Creator grew angry with man and cast us from the Heavens. In our descent they say that a child of creation followed us. His mercy let us survive The Fall. To the Shang-Tau that child is Tyrannous. To them he is what gave life to a barren rock. He is what makes our exile from Heaven bearable. To them he is Life. So also do they say that one day the Great Creator will show mercy. That mercy will take the form of a fiery bridge to the Heavens.

The Seyon have a different story. They say that we did not fall. That we are descended from a race which conquered the stars. To them that ancient race lost their dominion. Ushering in an age of darkness. That the ashes of the past is what defines us now. Our civilizations are nothing compared to the achievements of our ancestors. They say that we will only be whole when the Long Night ends and the peoples of our ancestral home come again.

The Vena have only a grim outlook. To them this our eternal punishment. That nothing will ever let us leave. They speak of the gods as nothing but cruel tyrants. They view this world as a prison, and the gods as our wardens. They speak of The Fall as a primal war that damned us all. That we, as the descendants of those who lost must serve out the punishment of our ancestors. All together I can say little towards the Vena. There is little proof that any of the Imperial Vena have survived this most recent influx of the Horgarrshii.

The Broken Empire shares much the same view as the Immortal Empire. The Fall is seen as our banishment from Old Earth. They speak of the gods as divine guardians who seek only to reconcile us with Old Earth. To them The Fall is far less important than the feats of the gods and the history of our world.

~ Razkell Lurinius, Treatise on the Mythology of Royan, circa 2468 YE
    2 people like this post: Gerrick, Fortis Scriptor
    End of Time

That never could I know,

Gattoartico
    • Idk tbh
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Wintreath Nation
    Elbbsas
  • Citizen
  • Hm. Interesting! I love me some in-universe world building.

So, The Fall is a creation myth, right? Since it's a story and All Myths Are True, these are some unsettingly implications for the people of this story. Excellent.

I can't help but notice that little "YE" marker for the year. Any particular meaning behind that, or is it something we shall learn over upcoming posts? After all, you used what I presume is Common Era and Before Common Era previously.
    Elbbsas
    • Citizen
    • Familial House
      Kaizer
      Wintreath Nation
    Gattoartico
  • Former Citizen
  • Idk tbh
  • Hm. Interesting! I love me some in-universe world building.

So, The Fall is a creation myth, right? Since it's a story and All Myths Are True, these are some unsettingly implications for the people of this story. Excellent.

I can't help but notice that little "YE" marker for the year. Any particular meaning behind that, or is it something we shall learn over upcoming posts? After all, you used what I presume is Common Era and Before Common Era previously.

YE is Year of Empire, and when I start with Imperial history I'll explain what The Fall fully is and as to why the switch from CE and BCE to YE. Because nothing clears things up better than Audio Files from the Dawn Forge. As an addendum for Chun Res' Codex Imperius.

I like in-universe world building too but sometimes the people are a bit misleading. Razkell and Chun Res are Imperial historians while Tyrannous is as I mentioned earlier a god. When I post history it will either be written by Razkell or Chun Res. Occasionally to clarify something obscure a transcript of an Audio File from the Dawn Forge will supplement it.

Also the Seyon version is a loving nod to 40k.
    2 people like this post: Fortis Scriptor, Elbbsas
    End of Time

That never could I know,

Gattoartico
    • Idk tbh
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Wintreath Nation
    Gattoartico
  • Former Citizen
  • Idk tbh
  • Ah, the beauty of not having eaten anything other than a bowl of goldfish crackers on top of being sleep deprived.

Have some fun with the first part of the work of Chun Res, the man who wrote the Codex Imperius and managed to compile in that volume the full breadth of Imperial history. Truly I applaud him.

Warning in docs this thing is like two paragraphs over three pages.

If there are any misspellings or missing spaces/punctuation I will fix them later but again, I haven't eaten real food all day and I have like no sleep. Btw my hands were shaking as I wrote most of this. Lol. The things I do for you guys.

So enjoy!

Spoiler
    My compatriot Razkell Lurinius has already spent many years and many pages recording what little is known of the Fall so I shall not put shame to his work by dwelling on it here. Rather I urge you to read his delightful Treatise on the subject. So we shall here discuss what occurred immediately after the Fall.

The first known collection of men appeared at The City in the Clouds, deep in the heart of the empire of the Shang-Tau. For here we find the oldest structures and the most history collected. Next I have been led to believe was the settlement based out of the Great Pyramid itself. This group was led by a cruel tyrant who named himself Drake, Lord of the Jungle. He reached out his corrupting wrath in an effort to conquer and rule the lands around him. Quickly he subjugated the High Jungle, next to fall was the North Plains and the North-Western Marches. His forces never ventured far enough north to stumble into the frozen realms lorded over by Frostholm. His largest challenge in these early days was the attempted vassalization of the City-upon-the-Alfurin. Several times his forces tried to cross the half moon of mountains that protected it, Eventually they crossed in the month of Malyas in the first year. Once they secured the pass did the self proclaimed King Drake the First enter. There he found the immense valley and the City held against him. For by this time the Old Lord Tyrannous had awoken the Captain and forged him into a god.

The battle was short yet decisive, thirty of Drake’s men lay dead while only two on the other side were wounded. These two wounded were given godhood and became the Lords Alec and Atua. Gods of the Hunt and Navigation respectively. Tyrannous left the Captain and his two new gods to protect the city and raise an army while he pursued Drake back over the mountains. Tyrannous found himself locked in battle at Gaia’s Pass and forced south. While he could have won he did not intend to risk himself. Fleeing south he reached the foothills of the High Mountains and took shelter in Triumvirate. In this day we now know the city as bearing the name High Town, the seat of Empire.

Drake held his forces at the pass for the remainder of Malyas as well as through much of Junos before pushing south after Tyrannous. During this time Tyrannous had united the warring factions of Triumvirate and created four new gods. He also fashioned the guardsmen of the settlement into a somewhat respectable fighting force that managed to hold the walls with enough zeal to push Drake’s forces back as far as the jungle itself. Tyrannous managed to establish contact with the Captain after his newly built army returned to Triumvirate. He summoned the Captain as well as Sandra Grimlock, Queen of Sandolin, a fortress buried in the mountains north of the City-Upon-The-Alfurin.

These two leaders met with Tyrannous within Triumvirate in the month of Julnar until the end of the month . On the fourteenth day the three leaders signed what would become known as the Pact of Realms, the precursor to the Imperial Charter. Unified, Tyrannous trained their forces and equipped them with arms befitting a proper army. He organized mines and forges. In the month of Augorus Drake advanced his army south towards Triumvirate. They were halted at the narrow strip of land between the thick growth of the North Marsh and the Half-Moon Mountains known as Gaia’s Pass.

The difference between the two armies was stark. Drake moved up a force of infantry, armed with crude spears and clubs, armoured with thick plates of woven grass. Tyrannous commanded the first proper army to have ever walked the surface of Royan. Armed with steel tipped spears, steel swords, and armoured in the golden sheened Divinium alloy that Tyrannous had devised. They formed a bristling golden wall of spears and blocked the pass. When the two armies clashed victory went very clearly to one side.

Tyrannous had won the first military engagement with the troops that would form the core of the Imperial Guard. By the middle of Decembros Drake had been pushed back to the sloping sides of the Great Pyramid. The dense jungle prevented Tyrannous from using his newly designed and built siege engines. He was forced to utilize only infantry in the assault on the Great Pyramid. On the 15th of Decembros the final assault was launched, spearheaded by the Lord Talcung. Legends claim Drake was slain by the axe of Talcung. The truth of the matter is unknown, I asked the Lord Talcung to clarify on this matter and all he gave me was “Let men believe what they believe, I will not speak either way on the matter. It was three thousand years ago in the middle of a battle, I will leave the outcome up to your imagining.”

On the 25th of Decembros the army had returned to the city of Triumvirate. From that day through the month of Anber the gods present and the leaders of various cities and groups in the region gathered and debated. By the close of the year did all members sign the newly drafted Imperial Charter. On the first of Januaros the leaders voted an Emperor to the throne. The Lord Talcung was first to sit upon the Throne of Empire and rule as its leader. He ordered the construction of three of the greatest structures on the Empire. The first was the fortress of High Town, built around old Triumvirate only the uppermost layers are composed of the old city. Second was the Black Gate, a massive wall that plugs the only gap in the mountains of the Impassables. The Third was Talcung’s personal fortress, Frostholm Castle.

The other notables about the rule of the Emperor Elect was the early formations of the then fledgling Empire. He united the Imperial Heartlands officially on Oçtuma 30th in the first Year of Empire. The Heartlands consist of the High Plains, the City-Upon-The-Alfurin, Sandolin, Lord Urn’s keep and the Southern Jungle, the Mid-Plains, the Southern Marches ruled by the Caliphs of the House of Dagher, the North Marsh, the High Jungle, the Great Jungle, the North Plains, and the North Wastes ruled over by Frostholm. He also organized the expeditions into the Ironstone Fangs in Anber. Rounding out his reign was the War With Bitterfields from 3 YE to 5 YE, resulting in the ennoblement of the House of Chevaux and the beginnings of the Wars of Abundance.

From 7 YE to 18 YE the Old Lord Tyrannous was elected to the Throne. He led the Empire to victory during the three Wars of Abundance and managed to keep the fragile Empire from collapsing. During this time he showed himself to be a brilliant tactician, general, and inventor. He invented a vast selection of the Imperial Armory and equipment. He also organized the Imperial forces into the distinct classes of Guard and Army. Amongst his other accomplishments were the expansion of the Imperial borders almost to their present state. He built the Iron City, the Crag Port, Scorpion Mountain, Dragonhold, and Castle Wasteburg. It was he who put the Lord Tembla as Warmaster of Empire, as well as the creation of the position of Imperial Champion. As well as establishing the Imperial Tongue of Old Salterian. Teaching it to every people the Empire absorbed he managed to unite the Empire even in language.

Politically he organized the Senate and assigned its various seats. He also created the Order Templar to act as ambassadors and delegates to foreign powers. He is also credited with the creation of the Shang-Tau Empire in the west, as well as laying the groundwork for the Broken Empire.

Up until now you must understand dear reader that the only full gods present were the Old Lord Tyrannous, the Lords Talcung, Tembla, Treasurer, Warden, Captain, Fisherman, Navigator, and the Grand Master Tomas. As well as the children of Tyrannous and Talcung from Old Earth, Elia, Raudh, Tarn, Tulas, and Raudh’s husband Seyn.

During his reign as Emperor he drastically increased this number. For the Empire he created the Lords Hellstorm, Reaper, Skyfire, Torment, Anguish, Collector, Phantom, Natasha, Silence, Deaf, Blind, and the Guardian. He also blessed the births of the three children of the Navigator; Helm, Alaric, and Laura, the two sons named after two of the Empire’s finest explorers.

For the rest of Royan he made many other gods, for the Shang-Tau he gave them their Immortal Cloud Emperor, as well as Luphares, Steelheart, and Shang-Li. From those four would descend the many gods of the Shang-Tau.

The Vena were given Hurgrama, Rhiksha, Sevama, and their chief god, Grundarum Valcumasta. Tyrannous helped them create the document that acted as the structure for their empire.

The Seyon were given the gods Semna, Somnus, Argyn, Wulst, and they shared their chief god with the Empire, for theirs was Seyn, the god of Sorcery. Seyn and Raudh would together build the vast empire that dominates the south eastern continent of Royan.

The Broken Empire would share many gods with the Empire but would have some of their own. Primarily the Broken Steward, the Night Queen, Ramnusmus, Serytis, and Ravenus. Many other kingdoms of Royan would have their own gods, some were faiths brought over from Old Earth, others were stories and myths gathered and compounded over time until gods were birthed from those faiths.

Tyrannous is credited with shaping the world into a place habitable for man. He has been seen even in the farthest reaches. Every town and village has a legend of him, the Grey Pilgrim or  the Wandering Pagan. His accomplishments during his reign as Emperor are enough to fill a separate book. I shall not dwell too much more on them here.

By the time his reign was over he had greatly increased the size of the Empire, given it a well established infrastructure and a booming economy. The Imperial army had been structured into the deadliest force in its day and perhaps even today. He helped draft and establish nearly a thousand pages of laws and rules to accompany the Charter. He left behind a permanent legacy in Imperial architecture as well. He had designed the Walls of High Town, the Citadel at its peak, the High Preceptory, the City-Upon-The-Alfurin, Frostholm, the Black Gate, Last Hold, and Castle Wasteburg.

Imperial Calendar: 396 day year, 13 months. All months have the same number of days as their gregorian counter part, with the addition of 31 days at the end of the year that form the month of Anber.

Months: Januaros, Filmoren, Marçols, Aprilis, Malyas, Junos, Julnar, Augorus, Sultu, Oçtuma, Novoma, Decembros, and Anber.
    2 people like this post: Gerrick, Fortis Scriptor
    End of Time

That never could I know,

Gattoartico
    • Idk tbh
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Wintreath Nation

Pages: [1]