• Pronouns
      Any/All or They/Them
      Familial House
      Eske
      Wintreath Nation
    Weissreich
  • Paragons
  • Duke of Wintreath
  • I don't know about city and town names, but I do know that in Skyrim they divided the land into nine separate areas called holds, and tried to give each hold a distinct geography and culture, so the northern and central areas were very harsh and wintry, while the southern areas were more temperate, and each area had its own things going on and stuff.
    I'm following a system I derived from TES, actually; we have around 25 to 30 Rides, which are grouped into the 8 Territories - mainly because if I only had one tier each section would cover huge tracts of land and that's kinda infeasible in the setting, so I just made two :p

E: To be a little clearer about this, Wintreath covers an area of a little less than 10,000,000 miles, so having fewer but larger territories wouldn't really work; the nation is far too diverse to classify in less than ten areas. Thus, the 25-30 Rides divided up into 8 or 9 Territories :)

10m sq mi seems way out of proportion. Canada is a bit less than 4m sq mi and it's enormous, not to mention most of it is almost uninhabitable. You're talking about a country as big as Canada + Russia combined.
    It's not meant to be proportionate to anything else. Wintreath exists (in the RP setting I'm discussing) as one of the smaller nations in a world that varies wildly between extremes. Sure, to compare it to real life makes the comparison a ridiculous one, but in setting I need all that space for the diversity Wintreath contains. Read the EoS thread :)

EDIT: Moving past this, the Rides can be and are as different from one another as they can imaginably be, but the Territories group Rides by location and climate into 9 more distinct groups. Within those Territories you might find similar attitudes because of how harsh the winters are or from shared experiences in the deep Past, but hugely different architectural styles and gearwork principles (although they are more unified than they ever have been in the past).

For example, the Erivale Rides is a harsh place to live and gives rise to some of the strongest men and women Wintreath knows, yet as part of the Far Northern Territory it and its sister Rides have a mentality similar to the Starks of GoT. On a singular Ride level you don't get that sort of thing, but when seen as part of a Territory you do. Micro-nations within micro-nations within the nation, if that makes sense.
    « Last Edit: September 05, 2015, 11:56:05 AM by Weissreich »
    Duke Klause Edíl-Astos Meindhert
    Archivist Academic

"Not all those who wander are lost."
    Weissreich
    • Duke of Wintreath
    • Paragons
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Meindhert
      Wintreath Nation
    Arenado
  • Citizen
  • Some Random Guy
  • I don't know about city and town names, but I do know that in Skyrim they divided the land into nine separate areas called holds, and tried to give each hold a distinct geography and culture, so the northern and central areas were very harsh and wintry, while the southern areas were more temperate, and each area had its own things going on and stuff.
    I'm following a system I derived from TES, actually; we have around 25 to 30 Rides, which are grouped into the 8 Territories - mainly because if I only had one tier each section would cover huge tracts of land and that's kinda infeasible in the setting, so I just made two :p

E: To be a little clearer about this, Wintreath covers an area of a little less than 10,000,000 miles, so having fewer but larger territories wouldn't really work; the nation is far too diverse to classify in less than ten areas. Thus, the 25-30 Rides divided up into 8 or 9 Territories :)

10m sq mi seems way out of proportion. Canada is a bit less than 4m sq mi and it's enormous, not to mention most of it is almost uninhabitable. You're talking about a country as big as Canada + Russia combined.
    It's not meant to be proportionate to anything else. Wintreath exists (in the RP setting I'm discussing) as one of the smaller nations in a world that varies wildly between extremes. Sure, to compare it to real life makes the comparison a ridiculous one, but in setting I need all that space for the diversity Wintreath contains. Read the EoS thread :)

EDIT: Moving past this, the Rides can be and are as different from one another as they can imaginably be, but the Territories group Rides by location and climate into 9 more distinct groups. Within those Territories you might find similar attitudes because of how harsh the winters are or from shared experiences in the deep Past, but hugely different architectural styles and gearwork principles (although they are more unified than they ever have been in the past).

For example, the Erivale Rides is a harsh place to live and gives rise to some of the strongest men and women Wintreath knows, yet as part of the Far Northern Territory it and its sister Rides have a mentality similar to the Starks of GoT. On a singular Ride level you don't get that sort of thing, but when seen as part of a Territory you do. Micro-nations within micro-nations within the nation, if that makes sense.

Forgive me if this makes me look like an idiot but what are we talking about?
    I Hope You Have A Nice Day :]
    Arenado
    • Some Random Guy
    • Comfortably Numb
    • Citizen
    • Pronouns
      Any/All or They/Them
      Familial House
      Eske
      Wintreath Nation
    Laurentus
  • Regional Stability Squad
  • Count of Highever
  • We are talking about our RP history, as far as I can tell.

Also, since we've been following Scandinavian conventions for pretty much everything, we should probably continue with that. @Aragonn would be an excellent choice to consult on this.
    In die donker ure skink net duiwels nog 'n dop, 
    Satan sit saam sy kinders en kyk hoe kom die son op. 
    • Count of Highever
    Laurentus
    • Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      The Noble House of Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    Drexyl Nox
  • Citizen
  • Official Unofficial Wintreath Mascot
  • Something must've broken in my brain because I'm losing control a lot faster. It takes a lot of effort to stay even when people are around. I'm glad I'm home alone a lot.
    Drexyl Nox
    • Axolotl Friend
    • Citizen
    • Pronouns
      She/Her/Hers
      Wintreath Nation
    Arenado
  • Citizen
  • Some Random Guy
  • Something must've broken in my brain because I'm losing control a lot faster. It takes a lot of effort to stay even when people are around. I'm glad I'm home alone a lot.

I'm sorry to hear that, Noxy. This might be an issue that is no business of mine but I hope it works out for you.
    I Hope You Have A Nice Day :]
    Arenado
    • Some Random Guy
    • Comfortably Numb
    • Citizen
    • Pronouns
      Any/All or They/Them
      Familial House
      Eske
      Wintreath Nation
    Laurentus
  • Count of Highever
  • « Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 08:05:10 PM by Laurentus »
    • Count of Highever
    Laurentus
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Wintreath Nation
    Wintermoot
  • The Greyscale Magi-Monk
  • =/ Hopefully nothing comes from it...these sorts of warnings go out all the time and usually nothing comes of it.

I went all the way to Cassadega to commune with the dead
    They said "You'd better look alive"
    Wintermoot
    • Weather: ❄️
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation
    Laurentus
  • Count of Highever
  • They never happen in South Africa. That's what's worrying.
    • Count of Highever
    Laurentus
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Wintreath Nation
    Drexyl Nox
  • Citizen
  • I think Salax is on to me, I keep sending him boxes of rat saboteurs in Fallen London, The Rats attack whoever they get sent to, he's started turning them down
    Drexyl Nox
    • Axolotl Friend
    • Citizen
    • Pronouns
      She/Her/Hers
      Wintreath Nation
    Wintermoot
    I think they're happening everywhere now. =/

Wintermoot
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation
    Govindia
  • Former Citizen
    As long as your government is vigilant and as long as the people are as well, that's what matters.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 via Tapatalk

Democratic Republic of South Nivogal
    Citizenship Granted 24 Dec. 2013!

------------------------------------------------
    Other Areas of NS:
    00000 A World Power: 1st Sgt, A World Power Regional Defence Force
    Celtica: Associate Advisor
    The Kodiak Republic: Member, The Kodiak Republic General Assembly

Govindia
    • Jedi Master
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Auditore
      Wintreath Nation
    Wintermoot
  • So my five-day mini-vacation ends today. About a week ago, I realized that I'd just become so fatigued that I couldn't go any longer without a break...taking advantage of the Labor Day holiday, I took two additional days off (Friday and today) to extend it out. I also reduced my day to day activity here in the region, and spent just a lot of time doing nothing...playing games, relaxing, reading.

Now that I am well-rested and going back I'm going to have to figure out what made me so fatigued to begin with and what I'm doing that is bringing me down. I did find out that I still have a joy for development...it has been fun working on the website this weekend, and while most people won't have much cause to celebrate new profiles, I'm happy with how they turned out...same for the law page. To my honest relief, I also realized that I still enjoy many aspects of my job...I did some website work Friday night that had been over my head, and it went well. And of course I still enjoy gaming...there was never any doubt of that beforehand. :P

In terms of the region, I think it's just letting go of things that feel like work...I've discontinued tracking activity in other regions. It served a purpose in that it showed me a lot of regions that we were overlooking, and I'd still like to initiate new relations based on what I found, but it's just not worth the two hours a week I had to put into it. I will also probably discontinue monthly activity stats, and replace it with an automated version. And I won't be doing nearly as much recruitment...I've recruited well over 100,000 nations since the spring, and while it isn't exactly difficult, it is fatiguing when you end up doing hundreds or thousands of nations in a day. I hope eventually we'll have things in place that will encourage others to recruit, or maybe some people will discover their sense of civic duty and do so of their own accord, but I will not carry the weight of recruitment anymore.

And that's what I've came to during my break. :P
    2 people like this post: Arenado, HannahB

Wintermoot
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual