The Wintrean Games: Soccer (IC)

Arenado
  • Citizen
  • Some Random Guy
  • DIVISION 4

Division 4, Round 3

Luskan Lunatics VS Penguinia Patriots

The Match
    This is it, everyone, the final match, the end goal, the last of the qualifiers! I'm Andy O'Brian here at the Letterman Stadium with the match to end Division 4. The Luskan Lunatics face off against the Penguinia Patriots as the patriots attempt to qualify for the semi-finals! The Lunatics, on the other hand, cannot qualify and are simply hoping for a decent performance before bowing out of the tournament. Who shall proceed and who shall emerge victorious?

The game begins with a pretty cautious Luskan approach, after their last game, the team seems to be a lot more careful and meticulous in their attack. The Patriots are being the exact opposite with a incredibly aggressive as they try to win the ball back and dominate possession but the more controlled team before them is making any chance of advancement slim to none! It's going to be a deadlock unless someone breaks through...

.....with the whistle blowing its half time and nil all! It's the classic match of aggression versus a carefully planned game. Neither side seem set to break this deadlock yet which is bad news for the Patriots. Victory needed to be swift and merciless for them to proceed. And now, a word from our sponsor, McDaniels!....

....It's been 76 minutes played and no goals, both teams are fatigued at this point and it shows plainly now, sloppy mistakes on both sides and one in particular on the Luskan side as the Patriots launch a fast attack, halfway to the goal before the Lunatics know what happened! The defenders are trying to close the gap but the Patriots take the shot at distance! The Goalkeeper is there, however, and its out for a corner kick!

....The players are jostling next to goal as both sides try to find an advantageous position as the Patriot player shoots into the mess....the Luskan defender manages to head it away but its now in possession of a Patriot who shoots and scores! Its 0-1 for the Patriots!

...But alas, to little to late as the game ends at 0-1 for the Patriots. Even though victory was achieved on the pitch it was not overall as they are knocked out. A splendid match from all sides but with that, the Semi-Finals are now in play!
    Luskan Lunatics:0 Penguinia Patriots:1
    1 person likes this post: Elbbsas
    I Hope You Have A Nice Day :]
    Arenado
    • Some Random Guy
    • Comfortably Numb
    • Citizen
    • Pronouns
      Any/All or They/Them
      Familial House
      Eske
      Wintreath Nation
    Arenado
  • Citizen
  • Some Random Guy
  • SEMI FINALS BRACKET 1

Semi-Finals Bracket 1

New Konstantinopolis Komodos VS Snow Turnips

The Match
    Welcome to the Semi-Finals! Its been a long road from where we began, 12 teams, 4 Divisions and now only 4 left, trying to reach the Finals! Today we have the New Konstantinopolis Komodos facing off against Idantir's best, the Snow Turnips! I'm Adachi Shido here at Shibuya Stadium. The Turnips made it here by the skin of their teeth, barely beating out the Penguina Patriots on Goal Differences. The Komodos, however, were Division Champions, winning both of the matches they played in. Today is going to be quite the match as both sides know that with a winner take all attitude, no mercy will be given today.

...match begins with the Komodos launching a lighting attack down the right wing, something the Komodos are known for, and with a lob to the center the attacking midfielder manages to head it into goal! 10 minutes in and the Komodos scores! They look pleased as they retreat back to their half and the crowd certainly is happy! The Snow Turnips line up in the center as the ref blows and they come back at the Komodos equally hard! It is a spectacular attack as the Komodos defenders race to try and block the Snow advance but fails to intercept in time as the Snow Turnips are past the defense! Nothing except the goal keeper in the way! The striker stops, points at a corner in the net and absolutely slams it home, a goal for the Turnips and an equalizer! This is becoming quite the match!

...half time comes with the Turnips having scored twice more, bringing the score to 1-3! They have been dominating possession as the Komodos struggles to intercept masterful passes from the Turnips! Lets see what the 2nd half will bring....

.....and the ref blows for full time! With another 2 goals in the second half the Turnips bring their lead up to 1-5! They have sealed their place in the Finals and done it in style to!

New Konstantinopolis Komodos:1 Snow Turnips:5
    Arenado
    • Some Random Guy
    • Comfortably Numb
    • Citizen
    • Pronouns
      Any/All or They/Them
      Familial House
      Eske
      Wintreath Nation
    Arenado
  • Citizen
  • Some Random Guy
  • 2ND SEMI FINALS

Semi Finals Bracket 2

North Gralend Gold Hawks VS Skyhelm Mountaineers

The Match
    Welcome to the 2nd and final Semi Finals! This will be the final match before the Finals, the one that will decide who goes home and who gets the glory! I'm Gary Garrettson here at Garrus Stadium. This match will have the North Gralend Gold Hawks up against the Skyhelm Mountaineers! Both these teams clawed their way out of the qualifiers and now eye the Finals hungrily! Who will go forth and who will go to face the Komodos for the 3rd place position?

The ref blows his whistle and the game begins in earnest! The Gold Hawks move the ball around the midfield, hoping for a quick and easy way through but ohhh! Interception by the Mountaineers! They have the ball and are making a break for it! The Gold Hawk Defense closes ranks and blocks all advancement! This is looking to be a stalemate as the Mountaineers maintain possession while the Gold Hawks block their probes!

....finally, at last, the Mountaineers break through and go for goal, they make a play for a short pass to the center but an interception by the central defender puts possession back with the Gold Hawks! They shoot deep into the midfield and manage to find their mark as attacking midfielder Tohru Bosun makes a break through the thin Mountaineer defense! He weaves around the resistance and its him and the goalkeeper! He shoots...back of the net, score for the Gold Hawks!

The Mountaineers attempt a counter attack but the wind has been knocked out of their sails as they lose possession again! The Gold Hawks shoot down the center like a missile as they leave the Mountaineer defense scrambling! It's a repeat as its down to the Striker and the Goalkeeper! He shoots...he scores! The Gold Hawks have scored again leaving the scoreline at 2-0!

And the final whistle of the final Semi-Final blows bringing this bombastic battle to a brave end! With a score of 2-0 the Gold Hawks take home the victory and proceed to the Finals to face the Snow Turnips! Thank you for watching and for out sponsors.....

North Gralend Gold Hawks:2 Skyhelm Mountaineers:0
    2 people like this post: Gerrick, Elbbsas
    Arenado
    • Some Random Guy
    • Comfortably Numb
    • Citizen
    • Pronouns
      Any/All or They/Them
      Familial House
      Eske
      Wintreath Nation
    Arenado
  • Citizen
  • Some Random Guy
  • 3rd Place Finisher tomorrow!
    2 people like this post: Mathyland, Elbbsas
    Arenado
    • Some Random Guy
    • Comfortably Numb
    • Citizen
    • Pronouns
      Any/All or They/Them
      Familial House
      Eske
      Wintreath Nation
    Arenado
  • Citizen
  • Some Random Guy
  • 3RD PLACE FINISHER

3rd Place Finisher

New Konstantinopolis Komodos VS Skyhelm Mountaineers

The Match
    All the preamble, all the excitement and all the fanfare has led us to this point, the penultimate showdown for 3rd place! I'm Magnolia Kleo here in lovely Tropico Stadium and we have the Komodos facing off against the Mountaineers! They were defeated by the Turnips and the Gold Hawks respectively but both know well enough there is still glory to be had. Neither side seems willing to go down without a fight!

....after the unexpected defeat of the Komodos they most certainly have stepped up their game! An aggressive attack has given them a goal in the first 15 minutes and having reclaimed possession from the Mountaineers they begin again as they press down the field. The Mountaineers seem more subdued today as their style is decidedly less aggressive then previous games. The Komodos push down the left wing, a rare move for the team usually stronger on the right, as they masterfully set up a shot on goal and....carry it through! Its a goal for the Komodos!

....with the end of the first half of the match setting the score at 3-0 for the Komodos they seem poised to claim victory from the Mountaineers. Will the Mountaineers push back in the next 45 minutes and level the playing field or even snatch victory from the Komodos?

.....the final whistle blows, bringing the 3rd Place Finisher to a close! With the score at 5-0 for the Komodos they have taken the 3rd place podium, not a minor accomplishment with 12 other teams vying for that position! Now, only one match remains, one final battle, coming up soon.....

New Konstantinopolis Komodos:5 Skyhelm Mountaineers:0
    Arenado
    • Some Random Guy
    • Comfortably Numb
    • Citizen
    • Pronouns
      Any/All or They/Them
      Familial House
      Eske
      Wintreath Nation
    Arenado
  • Citizen
  • Some Random Guy
  • The Finals are...tomorrow....
    Arenado
    • Some Random Guy
    • Comfortably Numb
    • Citizen
    • Pronouns
      Any/All or They/Them
      Familial House
      Eske
      Wintreath Nation
    Arenado
  • Citizen
  • Some Random Guy
  • THE END

The Finals

Snow Turnips VS North Gralend Gold Hawks

The Match
    This is it! 15 Matchs, 15 games, 12 teams and it all comes down to this! The Finals of The Wintreath Games! The Idantir Snow Turnips versus The North Gralend Gold Hawks! I'm Tohru Adachi and this is Wintreath Stadium! Both teams are taking to the pitch now as they prepare for the fight of their lives!

The Snow Turnips begin the game with a slow and steady approach as they masterfully pass the ball down field. The Gold Hawk defense attempts to intercept but the Turnips just pass the ball away, beautiful gameplay as the Snow Turnips try and find their mark and...oh! The Gold Hawks intercept, they charge down the field as quickly as they can, attempting to get to to goal as soon as possible! The striker makes a shot at distance, its off the crossbar for a goal kick!

Half time now with the score static at 0-0! Will we decide this match on penalties? Only one way to find out!

The Gold Hawks attempt another bum rush to goal as the second half begins, a very quick offensive style for the Gold Hawks and a more measured approach for the Turnips. An interception by the Snow Turnips, I guess a measured approach has advantages! The Snow Tunips now take the chance to charge as they get to goal in close to a minute! It's just the striker and the goalkeeper! He shoots and the goalkeeper has it out for a corner kick!

The Snow Turnips preparing for the corner, all hands on deck now. The ball is kicked into the frenzy next to goal, a rush of heads and hands and there it is, the ball, its struck.........

.......into the back of the net! Goal for the Snow Turnips! Goal for the Snow Turnips! The score now at 1-0! Can the Gold Hawks equalize?

...with 90 minutes played, the match, the tournament and the Wintreath Games are over! The Idantir Snow Turnips stand victorious at 1-0, beating out all competition to claim the title as the best in Wintreath! What an amazing journey!

Snow Turnips:1 North Gralend Gold Hawks:0
    1 person likes this post: Commander_Zemas
    Arenado
    • Some Random Guy
    • Comfortably Numb
    • Citizen
    • Pronouns
      Any/All or They/Them
      Familial House
      Eske
      Wintreath Nation
    Arenado
  • Citizen
  • Some Random Guy
  • And that was the Wintreath Games! I hope you enjoyed!
    5 people like this post: Elbbsas, Commander_Zemas, Mathyland, Wintermoot, Gerrick
    Arenado
    • Some Random Guy
    • Comfortably Numb
    • Citizen
    • Pronouns
      Any/All or They/Them
      Familial House
      Eske
      Wintreath Nation
    Wintermoot
  • Regional Stability Squad
  • The Greyscale Magi-Monk
  • Best in Wintreath! That's me my team! Yay! ^-^
    1 person likes this post: Commander_Zemas

I went all the way to Cassadega to commune with the dead
    They said "You'd better look alive"
    Wintermoot
    • Weather: ❄️
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation
    Aethelia
  • Former Citizen
  • Ethereal Dream
  • Interesting how much was random vs. how much was determined by the skill inputs.
    A table of all 16 games, by difference in input skill, and difference in points, with a negative value being an "upset", would look like this:

0.29 +7
    0.25 -1
    0.21 +1
    0.15 +5
    0.14 +4

0.11 -1
    0.11  0
    0.09 -4
    0.09 +1
    0.08 +1
    0.08 +1

0.08  0
    0.05 -1
    0.03 -4
    0.03 -2

0.03 +3

Multiple upsets when there was little difference, and a few even when there were. 6 out of 16 games were won by the team with a lower skill input, only 8 out of 16 were won by the team with higher skill, with no games where there was no skill difference as the Hinton Hounds and Luskan Lunatics never played each other.
    « Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 03:15:37 PM by Aethelia »
    Aethelia
    • Ethereal Dream
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      She/Her/Hers
      Familial House
      No
      Wintreath Nation
    Wintermoot
  • Sometimes the underdog just gets lucky, or the team you expect to win has a bad day. I've watched enough professional League of Legends games to see that happen more often than I would have otherwise thought.

But I guess that's what keeps people excited. :P
    2 people like this post: Aethelia, Commander_Zemas

I went all the way to Cassadega to commune with the dead
    They said "You'd better look alive"
    Wintermoot
    • Weather: ❄️
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual