Pages: 1 [2] 3 ... 12

EMPOWERED ISSUE #1: "Innocence Lost"

Elbbsas
  • Citizen
  • "We'll cut right to the chase," the head agent at the door said. "I'm afraid we are short on time."
    "Yesterday morning, a young superhuman disappeared violently from a hospital in Las Vegas," the other agent said. "We are assembling a team of superhumans to find this person of interest before he dies or vanishes for good, and the information he could have provided goes to waste. We would be willing to pay you handsomely for your service to society. Are you interested?"
    Emme raised her eyebrows. ‘Pay you handsomely’? They didn’t even need to add that -- a missing person, violent circumstances, information that risks being lost to the aether? Fascinating.

“Succinct,” she complimented, “and intriguingly presented. A fine elevator pitch. Color me with interest, sirs. Where do I sign, and where do I go to meet the rest of this team? Las Vegas?”
    Elbbsas
    • Citizen
    • Familial House
      Kaizer
      Wintreath Nation
    Aethelia
  • Former Citizen
  • Ethereal Dream
  • I can't make such references, I haven't read that series, though I remember considering trying years ago...
    The agents both hesitated when they saw Mesmer. They nodded at her invitation and quickly shot words at each other under their breaths.
    "It's her alright, but I wasn't told we would be drafting an invalid for this kind of work," one of the agents muttered to his coworker. "Are we wasting our time with her?"
    "I wasn't told about this either," said the other agent, pursing her lips. "I think something's not right. Let's see this through."
    They entered the room and stopped where Maya stopped. "We were wondering if you would be willing to help us solve a certain case," the female agent said. "We need your help to find a young superhuman person of interest that has gone missing. We have reason to believe that his life is in danger, and if we don't get him back, thousands of others may be in danger too. We would be willing to pay you very generously. Would you like to join?"
    Mesmer knew immediately after 'life is in danger' that she was going to go along with them. Perhaps that could have been her... she reacted strongly to discovering her powers as well, but fortunately didn't have any especially dangerous abilities... she had to help this person, not just for the thousands who may be hurt, but for the one you must be hurting right now.
    The mention of pay brought her back out of a trance, thinking about how confused the poor boy must feel right now.
    "Well, if I'm going to be paid... I could use some money for college, moving out of my parent's house... potential medical expenses..."
    Mesmer dismisses the illusions to reveal herself to be physically able.
    "Sorry about the deception, I just prefer to avoid being used and didn't know you came with a just cause. I will join you."
    Aethelia
    • Ethereal Dream
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      She/Her/Hers
      Familial House
      No
      Wintreath Nation
    Ashton Mercer
  • Former Citizen
  • icy hot
  • 8/8 gr8 b8 m8
    Emme raised her eyebrows. ‘Pay you handsomely’? They didn’t even need to add that -- a missing person, violent circumstances, information that risks being lost to the aether? Fascinating.

“Succinct,” she complimented, “and intriguingly presented. A fine elevator pitch. Color me with interest, sirs. Where do I sign, and where do I go to meet the rest of this team? Las Vegas?”
    The agents smiled. One of them handed her a small stack of paperwork. "Sign here. These papers will explain what steps you need to take next. You'll be meeting us at our facility in Sacramento, California. We look forward to seeing you there."
    The agents left, allowing Emme to prepare herself.
    I wonder if they're worth a re-read...
    Mesmer knew immediately after 'life is in danger' that she was going to go along with them. Perhaps that could have been her... she reacted strongly to discovering her powers as well, but fortunately didn't have any especially dangerous abilities... she had to help this person, not just for the thousands who may be hurt, but for the one you must be hurting right now.
    The mention of pay brought her back out of a trance, thinking about how confused the poor boy must feel right now.
    "Well, if I'm going to be paid... I could use some money for college, moving out of my parent's house... potential medical expenses..."
    Mesmer dismisses the illusions to reveal herself to be physically able.
    "Sorry about the deception, I just prefer to avoid being used and didn't know you came with a just cause. I will join you."
    The agents were startled by the transformation, one of them even flinching toward their gun, but once Mesmer explained herself they seemed to relax.
    "Ah, good. I was hoping our agency wasn't trying to recruit someone as injured as you look..."
    "As for payment," the male agent said, handing Mesmer the paperwork, "here's the contract. $500,000 guaranteed, between $1 and $5 million if we like the results."
    "Meet us at our offices in Sacramento, and you can start from there."
    The agents departed into the night.
    Ashton Mercer
    • icy hot
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Wintreath Nation
    Elbbsas
  • Citizen
  • The agents smiled. One of them handed her a small stack of paperwork. "Sign here. These papers will explain what steps you need to take next. You'll be meeting us at our facility in Sacramento, California. We look forward to seeing you there."
    The agents left, allowing Emme to prepare herself.
    The moment the men were gone, Emme rapidly flicked through the papers. These certainly appear legitimate, she thought. Let us see… California, California, that is certainly a trip. I wonder why there, when the event itself occurred in… hm. Perhaps it is simply a matter of better facilities? No matter -- more accurate conclusions can be gathered once I am there.

She checked each line, signing as she went. Once the papers were in order she went to pack her bags, let the family know she was heading out for “extracurricular activities” for a time, and find a flight.
    « Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 04:35:31 AM by Elbbsas »
    Elbbsas
    • Citizen
    • Familial House
      Kaizer
      Wintreath Nation
    Aethelia
  • Former Citizen
  • Ethereal Dream
  • text
    The agents were startled by the transformation, one of them even flinching toward their gun, but once Mesmer explained herself they seemed to relax.
    "Ah, good. I was hoping our agency wasn't trying to recruit someone as injured as you look..."
    "As for payment," the male agent said, handing Mesmer the paperwork, "here's the contract. $500,000 guaranteed, between $1 and $5 million if we like the results."
    "Meet us at our offices in Sacramento, and you can start from there."
    The agents departed into the night.

Mesmer thought about analyzing the pros and cons about accepting these jobs... paperwork, con; reimbursement, pro; satisfaction at doing the right thing, probably about the same, will verify later.
    Packing a few books to read on the bus ride over, choosing at least one that takes place in Sacramento, Mesmer finds a bus she can take to answer the call.
    Aethelia
    • Ethereal Dream
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      She/Her/Hers
      Familial House
      No
      Wintreath Nation
    Ashton Mercer
  • Former Citizen
  • icy hot

• FBI regional offices, Sacramento CA

A large conference room had been reserved for the occasion. At the end of a large oak table was a screen, lit up by a projector, displaying the seal of the Bureau. A diverse group of about a dozen or so people were seated around the table, dressed in different levels of formality and expressing different amounts of stress. These people were the superhumans that the FBI was contracting. The agents from before were all standing or seated at the edges of the wall, chatting with each other and discussing the strange happenings of Power Crimes in the same overwhelmingly bored tone you would expect water cooler discussion at IBM. Security agents, brandishing assault rifles, stood at the doors and in the corners of the room, waiting for something to happen.

Finally, after what seemed like an eternity, something did happen: a grey-haired man in a black suit and tie entered the room and cleared his throat. The agents sat at attention.
    "Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen. I'm Special Agent McGrath, head of the Bureau's Power Crimes division for the state of California. I'm assuming you've all done the paperwork, so if you haven't, please talk to one of us after the briefing and we'll be happy to help you."
    No response came from the peanut gallery. None was supposed to, yet it seemed that he was expecting a response. McGrath coughed awkwardly. "Alright, well, let's start."

The agent pressed a button on a remote and a silent video of the CCTV footage. Police, pistols drawn, approach a child who appears to be sobbing over a pile of flames. The video paused, and a laser pointer from McGrath circled the image of the boy.
    "This video was taken about two months ago. That kid right there, his name is Andrew Knox. That lump of fire he's grieving over was previously his adoptive mother, Eva Sterling, an exotic dancer who was also known by her stage name 'Krystal'. We believe she was killed by a superhuman we have been tracking who is a regular of organized crime. But that's not important to our situation, because he's not a suspect for our concerns and there's another investigative team on that front anyways. We are concerned with Andrew here."
    The screen switched to something that looked like a color school photograph. A boy with short dark blond hair, green-opal eyes, and freckles was smiling into the camera.
    "Eight years old, Caucasian, blond hair, green eyes, four feet and three inches tall and fifty-two pounds. Now, at first glance 'Andy', as his classmates and teachers called him, might not seem like someone of interest to law enforcement, except maybe as a witness to his own mother's murder. That's certainly what the LVMPD believed, anyways."
    The screen switched to the CCTV again. Smoking wreckage from a number of squad cars was strewn across the scene. A long smear of blood was all that remained of one police officer. Another rolled on the floor in extreme pain, clearly wounded. Another had been knocked on his back and was staring dumbfounded at the scene, but was holding a gun in the direction of Andrew. Andrew himself was lying face down and still, in a slowly expanding pool of his own blood.
    "Guess again. Not only was his mother's murder super-related, but little Andy here is a very powerful super himself. If that officer hadn't managed to get a shot off, the story here might be different."
    The picture changed to a mug shot of sorts, taken while Andrew was sedated and recovering from surgery. He looked more or less the same, minus the smile and plus an oxygen mask and dark circles under his closed eyes.
    "Luckily, he survived. While he was recovering at AMG Specialty Hospital, though, this happened."
    A picture of Andrew's destroyed hospital room appeared. Police and firemen observed the damage, taking notes and pictures of the evidence.
    "Early on Tuesday morning, there was an unexplained explosion, and Andrew Knox disappeared without a trace. We want you to find him and bring him into federal custody."

The screen went black, and Agent McGrath took a position at the head of the table.
    "Now, I know the two questions that should be on everyone's mind here. 'Why are we going after him, and why did you drag us along for this?'

Well, the reasoning for the first question is simple: Andrew and his powers still pose an unacceptable threat to public safety. We need to make sure that he won't be hurting anyone else. On top of that, we also need to make sure he isn't being hurt himself. Our bureau has reason to believe that his vanishing act at the hospital was not an escape but a kidnapping, as hard as it may be to believe. If someone, particularly someone related to the ongoing investigation into Eva's murder, has decided to take Andrew hostage or kill him to remove a crucial witness, we would need to get him back ASAP. And since he was still recovering at the hospital when he departed, Andrew might not have much time left before he succumbs to his injuries, for good this time.

As for why you all are here? Well, we needed contractors for this one. Everyone knows the only reliable counter for a superhuman is another superhuman, but since this kid ended up killing a cop in his rage, we would have a hard time finding someone in a reputable superhero group who would quietly take the case for us. It's also imperative that we get to Andrew before the CIA or local police departments do, as the former would steal all the glory (and probably start conducting illegal experiments on him), while the latter would illegally kill him on sight after what he did to the LVMPD. We believe that both of these options are wrong, but we certainly can't challenge them publicly on this. We need to simultaneously distance ourselves from this case while ensuring that it gets solved. How do we do that? By buying out a group of superhumans, of course."

Agent McGrath nodded. "So, there you have it. You all are our secret weapons, and your task is to save Andrew's life. Now, any questions?"
    « Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 09:23:31 PM by Ashton Mercer »
    Ashton Mercer
    • icy hot
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Wintreath Nation
    Elbbsas
  • Citizen
  • Info Dump
    =Photo=
    FBI regional offices, Sacramento CA

A large conference room had been reserved for the occasion. At the end of a large oak table was a screen, lit up by a projector, displaying the seal of the Bureau. A diverse group of about a dozen or so people were seated around the table, dressed in different levels of formality and expressing different amounts of stress. These people were the superhumans that the FBI was contracting. The agents from before were all standing or seated at the edges of the wall, chatting with each other and discussing the strange happenings of Power Crimes in the same overwhelmingly bored tone you would expect water cooler discussion at IBM. Security agents, brandishing assault rifles, stood at the doors and in the corners of the room, waiting for something to happen.

Finally, after what seemed like an eternity, something did happen: a grey-haired man in a black suit and tie entered the room and cleared his throat. The agents sat at attention.
    "Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen. I'm Special Agent McGrath, head of the Bureau's Power Crimes division for the state of California. I'm assuming you've all done the paperwork, so if you haven't, please talk to one of us after the briefing and we'll be happy to help you."
    No response came from the peanut gallery. None was supposed to, yet it seemed that he was expecting a response. McGrath coughed awkwardly. "Alright, well, let's start."

The agent pressed a button on a remote and a silent video of the CCTV footage. Police, pistols drawn, approach a child who appears to be sobbing over a pile of flames. The video paused, and a laser pointer from McGrath circled the image of the boy.
    "This video was taken about two months ago. That kid right there, his name is Andrew Knox. That lump of fire he's grieving over was previously his adoptive mother, Eva Sterling, an exotic dancer who was also known by her stage name 'Krystal'. We believe she was killed by a superhuman we have been tracking who is a regular of organized crime. But that's not important to our situation, because he's not a suspect for our concerns and there's another investigative team on that front anyways. We are concerned with Andrew here."
    The screen switched to something that looked like a color school photograph. A boy with short dark blond hair, green-opal eyes, and freckles was smiling into the camera.
    "Eight years old, Caucasian, blond hair, green eyes, four feet and three inches tall and fifty-two pounds. Now, at first glance 'Andy', as his classmates and teachers called him, might not seem like someone of interest to law enforcement, except maybe as a witness to his own mother's murder. That's certainly what the LVMPD believed, anyways."
    The screen switched to the CCTV again. Smoking wreckage from a number of squad cars was strewn across the scene. A long smear of blood was all that remained of one police officer. Another rolled on the floor in extreme pain, clearly wounded. Another had been knocked on his back and was staring dumbfounded at the scene, but was holding a gun in the direction of Andrew. Andrew himself was lying face down and still, in a slowly expanding pool of his own blood.
    "Guess again. Not only was his mother's murder super-related, but little Andy here is a very powerful super himself. If that officer hadn't managed to get a shot off, the story here might be different."
    The picture changed to a mug shot of sorts, taken while Andrew was sedated and recovering from surgery. He looked more or less the same, minus the smile and plus an oxygen mask and dark circles under his closed eyes.
    "Luckily, he survived. While he was recovering at AMG Specialty Hospital, though, this happened."
    A picture of Andrew's destroyed hospital room appeared. Police and firemen observed the damage, taking notes and pictures of the evidence.
    "Early on Tuesday morning, there was an unexplained explosion, and Andrew Knox disappeared without a trace. We want you to find him and bring him into federal custody."

The screen went black, and Agent McGrath took a position at the head of the table.
    "Now, I know the two questions that should be on everyone's mind here. 'Why are we going after him, and why did you drag us along for this?'

Well, the reasoning for the first question is simple: Andrew and his powers still pose an unacceptable threat to public safety. We need to make sure that he won't be hurting anyone else. On top of that, we also need to make sure he isn't being hurt himself. Our bureau has reason to believe that his vanishing act at the hospital was not an escape but a kidnapping, as hard as it may be to believe. If someone, particularly someone related to the ongoing investigation into Eva's murder, has decided to take Andrew hostage or kill him to remove a crucial witness, we would need to get him back ASAP. And since he was still recovering at the hospital when he departed, Andrew might not have much time left before he succumbs to his injuries, for good this time.

As for why you all are here? Well, we needed contractors for this one. Everyone knows the only reliable counter for a superhuman is another superhuman, but since this kid ended up killing a cop in his rage, we would have a hard time finding someone in a reputable superhero group who would quietly take the case for us. It's also imperative that we get to Andrew before the CIA or local police departments do, as the former would steal all the glory (and probably start conducting illegal experiments on him), while the latter would illegally kill him on sight after what he did to the LVMPD. We believe that both of these options are wrong, but we certainly can't challenge them publicly on this. We need to simultaneously distance ourselves from this case while ensuring that it gets solved. How do we do that? By buying out a group of superhumans, of course."

Agent McGrath nodded. "So, there you have it. You all are our secret weapons, and your task is to save Andrew's life. Now, any questions?"
    Emme, or rather, Optical, was feeling somewhat out of place in the conference room. Likely it was an illusion brought on by the agents around the walls. She tried to avoid letting it get to her, keeping her gaze fixed on the screen to the exclusion of everything else. The security agents at the door kept stealing her attention. But that makes sense, Optical reasoned. After all, they have guns and can likely fire them faster than my reaction time.

Several hypotheses jumped into mind as Agent McGrath reached his conclusion. Some were absurd, some were tentatively plausible, but all required further evidence before stepping from thought to theory. But first things first….

Optical leaned forward onto the table and raised her voice.

“I have three. First, do we know the exact nature of Mr Knox’s abilities, and have there been other documented incidences of his abilities prior to these incidences? Second, do we know why ‘your bureau’ believes this to be a kidnapping and not a runaway, or is that classified information? Finally, what are the abilities of the superhuman that killed Ms Stirling?”

Three seems a sufficient number, for now, Optical thought, folding her arms and waiting for an answer.
    Elbbsas
    • Citizen
    • Familial House
      Kaizer
      Wintreath Nation
    Aethelia
  • Former Citizen
  • Ethereal Dream
  • Mesmer had questions alright... but didn't expect honest answers. They seem to have a habit of keeping a lot of guns around special people. The purely altruistic intent was doubtful, and if a more dangerous person was free, their priorities were wrong. There may be a time to free the boy from his captors, the police, and the FBI. They did get one thing right, sending in more men in guns to point at his face will only make this worse, maybe if they'd stop trying to solve their problems with weapons we wouldn't be here right now.
    But this was the time for information gathering, the ideal solution is not known, and it's not known who else can be trusted. The FBI has been given a chance, time to stay quiet and observe the others in the room.
    Even in the time it took to think, the other woman in the room began to speak.*

May as well fit this "Warning - while you were reading a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post." into it.
    « Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 11:30:35 PM by Aethelia »
    Aethelia
    • Ethereal Dream
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      She/Her/Hers
      Familial House
      No
      Wintreath Nation
    Fayt
  • Former Citizen
  • Arcadia looking around at the other supermans not sure what to think "So you want us to find a kid? I can do that myself half of these guys I would happily fight not work with HaHahAha, is this a joke? you aren't telling me everything are you?" keeping his sword in hand, thinking this is a joke some of these supermans are dangerous would kill for fun.
    Fayt
    • Former Citizen
    Ashton Mercer
  • Former Citizen
  • icy hot
  • optical observation
    Emme, or rather, Optical, was feeling somewhat out of place in the conference room. Likely it was an illusion brought on by the agents around the walls. She tried to avoid letting it get to her, keeping her gaze fixed on the screen to the exclusion of everything else. The security agents at the door kept stealing her attention. But that makes sense, Optical reasoned. After all, they have guns and can likely fire them faster than my reaction time.

Several hypotheses jumped into mind as Agent McGrath reached his conclusion. Some were absurd, some were tentatively plausible, but all required further evidence before stepping from thought to theory. But first things first….

Optical leaned forward onto the table and raised her voice.

“I have three. First, do we know the exact nature of Mr Knox’s abilities, and have there been other documented incidences of his abilities prior to these incidences? Second, do we know why ‘your bureau’ believes this to be a kidnapping and not a runaway, or is that classified information? Finally, what are the abilities of the superhuman that killed Ms Stirling?”

Three seems a sufficient number, for now, Optical thought, folding her arms and waiting for an answer.
    Agent McGrath shifted in his seat. "Let's start with your first question. No, we don't know the full extent of his power. We simply don't. The Vegas Diner Incident is the only such situation where we have evidence of power use by Andrew Knox. He wasn't in the American Super Act Register, and he personally had no run-ins with the local, state, or federal police before that day. It's possible that the trauma awoke something within him, or that he had been hiding his capabilities since his birth. We simply can't answer that. The only thing we know about his powers is that Andrew is super strong, super fast, his powers aren't ranged and he is not bulletproof. That's all we know.

On your second question, we aren't one hundred percent sure on that point, but it's a strong suspicion among many of our investigators. He had been awake and cognizant of his situation for the past two weeks prior to the incident, his mood was improving, and he was actually even talking to the nurses about the incident and his life. If he had wanted to escape from the hospital, he could have done so much earlier than he did. We don't know whether he is being held against his will or if he just has an accomplice, but we highly suspect that there is someone else in the picture, someone who may not have good intentions for Andrew. Besides, even if Andrews kidnappers were 'pure of heart', there's still the fact that he was recovering from surgery. Unless they took him straight to another hospital, it's likely that he's suffering immense pain at best, or at worst he's dying. If Andrew understood this, it's unlikely he would have gone without a fight, which is what the explosion may have been. That is why we are treating this as a potential kidnapping. As for Ms. Stirling's murderer, Agent Waldo has that information."

Another agent stood up. "He used pyrokinesis to commit his crimes," he said, adjusting his clip-on tie. "I'm not supposed to divulge much information on this, but I can tell you a few things. The FBI now knows who this individual is, but he managed to flee the country before we could set the law on him. He hasn't been in America for nearly a month. We knew his exact whereabouts at the time of the explosion, and considering he was snoring the morning away thousands of miles away in a certain Central American nation that I can not disclose to you, we are not considering him a suspect in this situation. We are currently working on an extradition order, so chasing after Ms. Stirling's murderer would be a waste of your time, cause an international scandal, and put you in unnecessary danger."

Agent McGrath nodded in approval. "Thank you, Waldo. Now, any other questions?"
    Arcadia looking around at the other supermans not sure what to think "So you want us to find a kid? I can do that myself half of these guys I would happily fight not work with HaHahAha, is this a joke? you aren't telling me everything are you?" keeping his sword in hand, thinking this is a joke some of these supermans are dangerous would kill for fun.
    The security guards noticed the sword and raised their assault rifles at Arcadia in anticipation of a bloodbath. Agent McGrath put up a hand.
    "Easy, take it easy! I don't want any shooting going on here! Those damn AR-15 bullets are expensive!"
    This elicited a nervous laugh from some of the agents, who slowly and stealthily drew their service pistols and prepared to eliminate the mad swordsman if they had to.
    "I'm glad you are confident in your ability to find Andrew, although I shudder to think what would happen if you got to him first alone. We have told you everything that we know about this case, and if our answers to your questions aren't enough for you, you are free to walk out that door. We'll shred your contract, and pretend like we never spoke. If you want to stick around and if you value your own life at all, here's what you should do: sit down, shut up, and lose the damn sword."
    He walked up and stood face to face with Arcadia with a  snarl. "And no, I am not fucking joking. Are we clear on this, or are you and I going to keep having problems?"
    Ashton Mercer
    • icy hot
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Wintreath Nation
    Fayt
  • Former Citizen
    The security guards noticed the sword and raised their assault rifles at Arcadia in anticipation of a bloodbath. Agent McGrath put up a hand.
    "Easy, take it easy! I don't want any shooting going on here! Those damn AR-15 bullets are expensive!"
    This elicited a nervous laugh from some of the agents, who slowly and stealthily drew their service pistols and prepared to eliminate the mad swordsman if they had to.
    "I'm glad you are confident in your ability to find Andrew, although I shudder to think what would happen if you got to him first alone. We have told you everything that we know about this case, and if our answers to your questions aren't enough for you, you are free to walk out that door. We'll shred your contract, and pretend like we never spoke. If you want to stick around and if you value your own life at all, here's what you should do: sit down, shut up, and lose the damn sword."
    He walked up and stood face to face with Arcadia with a  snarl. "And no, I am not fucking joking. Are we clear on this, or are you and I going to keep having problems?"

Arcadia backs down and drops the sword on the ground keeping the attitude that he's right still but not sure on the enemies ahead "Mmm I guess if thats all you know" thinking about why did they ask me to come there, "ok we'll do it your way" sits down but feeling lied too....
    Fayt
    • Former Citizen
    Aethelia
  • Former Citizen
  • Ethereal Dream
  • The others are suspicious too... this is good. Though Mesmer's approach may be different, perhaps these people will do the right thing after all. But first, she must appear compliant, this seems like the right time to reduce the tension of the room.

"Seems straightforward enough to me, I don't have any questions."
    Mesmer casts an unnoticeable illusion after she has the attention of the room.
    "I can guess why you chose me: I prefer to do things non-violently. When we find Andrew, I will help keep him calm, so that he may be brought into safe custody."
    Mesmer gives a quick look towards Arcadia, intended to be interpreted by the FBI as reassurance that Mesmer will try to keep him in line, but which actually has another purpose...

In front of the eyes of Arcadia, too small for anyone else to notice, a tiny line of text appears: "We will find him, but we do not have to do it their way."
    ...and disappears as Mesmer looks over to let him know that the message is from her.

Edit: Lol, Agent Waldo. Just makes me think that the only reason this NPC has a name is that we'll have to find him later, ie "Where's Waldo".
    2 people like this post: Ashton Mercer, Fayt
    « Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 01:00:44 PM by Aethelia »
    Aethelia
    • Ethereal Dream
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      She/Her/Hers
      Familial House
      No
      Wintreath Nation
    Justinian Ezkantion
  • Former Citizen
  • (Not) Not the Fourth King of Ainur
  • Arsonist? Check.
    Pyrokinesis? Check.
    Kills people all the time? Check.

The odds aren't looking good Daniel thought to himself That guy is probably me
    When the Agent mentioned Central America, though, a sweet sigh of relief could be audibly heard coming from Daniel's mouth. Nevertheless, a little extra stress-killing couldn't hurt, so he got out his pack of cigarettes and started smoking. That fine taste of American tobacco could always ease the worries, and today was no exception.
    "So," he began, the smoke pouring out of his mouth, "Obviously the kid is off limits, but what about his 'kidnappers'? Fire coming out of your hands isn't exactly something you use to save people. Can we kill them if we want?"
    1 person likes this post: Ashton Mercer
    Justinian Ezkantion
    • (Not) Not the Fourth King of Ainur
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Wintreath Nation
    Ashton Mercer
  • Former Citizen
  • icy hot
  • be humble
    Arcadia backs down and drops the sword on the ground keeping the attitude that he's right still but not sure on the enemies ahead "Mmm I guess if thats all you know" thinking about why did they ask me to come there, "ok we'll do it your way" sits down but feeling lied too....
    The security guards lowered their guns and the agents relaxed a little bit. McGrath bowed his head. "It is all we know. Thank you for your cooperation."
    "wHERE IS HEE?"
    The others are suspicious too... this is good. Though Mesmer's approach may be different, perhaps these people will do the right thing after all. But first, she must appear compliant, this seems like the right time to reduce the tension of the room.

"Seems straightforward enough to me, I don't have any questions."
    Mesmer casts an unnoticeable illusion after she has the attention of the room.
    "I can guess why you chose me: I prefer to do things non-violently. When we find Andrew, I will help keep him calm, so that he may be brought into safe custody."
    Mesmer gives a quick look towards Arcadia, intended to be interpreted by the FBI as reassurance that Mesmer will try to keep him in line, but which actually has another purpose...

In front of the eyes of Arcadia, too small for anyone else to notice, a tiny line of text appears: "We will find him, but we do not have to do it their way."
    ...and disappears as Mesmer looks over to let him know that the message is from her.

Edit: Lol, Agent Waldo. Just makes me think that the only reason this NPC has a name is that we'll have to find him later, ie "Where's Waldo".
    "Absolutely," Agent McGrath said with a smile. "We're glad to have you on board."
    uh sir
    Arsonist? Check.
    Pyrokinesis? Check.
    Kills people all the time? Check.

The odds aren't looking good Daniel thought to himself That guy is probably me
    When the Agent mentioned Central America, though, a sweet sigh of relief could be audibly heard coming from Daniel's mouth. Nevertheless, a little extra stress-killing couldn't hurt, so he got out his pack of cigarettes and started smoking. That fine taste of American tobacco could always ease the worries, and today was no exception.
    "So," he began, the smoke pouring out of his mouth, "Obviously the kid is off limits, but what about his 'kidnappers'? Fire coming out of your hands isn't exactly something you use to save people. Can we kill them if we want?"
    When Daniel lit up his cigarette, pretty much every human in the room stared at him like he was from Mars. One agent attempted to speak up.
    "Sir, there's no smoking in... ah, forget it."
    Agent McGrath seemed unfazed. Perhaps he was a relic of the days where smoking was very commonplace.
    "That's a very good point, Mr. Morris. As a general rule, we would like to urge restraint. The accomplices or kidnappers would be of no use to us dead, from an intelligence perspective, so we very much would prefer to keep them alive. For you in particular, I would recommend sticking to using your powers on vehicles, structures, that sort of thing. However, lethal force is authorized in your contract, so if you get shot at or threatened with a lethal weapon, feel to neutralize your assailant in whatever way you think is best."

McGrath sat up. "Any other questions before we break?"
    Ashton Mercer
    • icy hot
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Wintreath Nation
    Elbbsas
  • Citizen
  • McGrath sat up. "Any other questions before we break?"
    Optical had flinched as the tension in the room rose, and remained tense as it fell. The guns had all too easily rippled from ‘nonthreatening’ to ‘why hello, yes I am able to shoot you in the face.’

Thankfully nobody began to shoot one another, so Optical reframed from cocooning herself in shields. No sense pushing the situation further on edge. As the other woman spoke, and then the man with a cigarette, Optical went back to taking her notes.

Hypothesis one is inoperable. As is five, while six is exceedingly unlikely given the agent’s reaction to the fellow with the sword, and they are the ones who gave the contract so it wouldn’t even matter -- though it would be an unsatisfying conclusion. I do hope that the display here hasn’t lowered our eventual payment. Two, three, and four are all still within the realm of possibility, though it may come to pass that it is a seventh or eighth possibility that I haven’t considered... hold on.

Optical leaned forward to catch everyone’s attention again. Her brow was creased in an uncertain frown.

“I would like some clarification. You stated that all you know of Mr Knox’s abilities is that he gains super speed and strength. You outright stated that his abilities are… not ranged, I believe were your words. So then… are explosions part of Mr Knox’s abilities? I would have thought those would count as ‘ranged.’ I truly am sorry, I believe I misunderstood something, and that we cannot have.” Optical gave the agent a cheerful smile. “A mirror desires accurate reflections, after all!”
    Elbbsas
    • Citizen
    • Familial House
      Kaizer
      Wintreath Nation

Pages: 1 [2] 3 ... 12