Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Krone Brainstorming Session

taulover
  • Regional Stability Squad
  • Seeker of Knowledge
    Let me ask you a question, @Chanku...so, I'm the leader of a great nation (not to mention a great region!), and I want an avatar befitting of my status...what's to stop me from getting an avatar that I think represents my character from anywhere and using it like we do now? Would we be getting rid of the forum avatars we use now? If not, where would the avatars you suggest be displayed? My concern is that to get the level of customization needed to get people interested in the system, you're going to need alot alot alot of graphics done, especially if it also competes with the general avatars we use now.

As for shops, I like the idea, but shops require things for people to sell...I can think of a few niche uses, like @Gerrick maybe having a shop for items to use in his Arena games, but I'm not sure beyond that. How will items take damage over time...Wintreath is not a RPG at the moment. :P
    Well ideally the old system would be removed, at least for new accounts. I have a proposal I am wititng that addresses this.
    Ah. Let me revise my statement.
    I'd like to once again state my position that I currently do not see a point for a regional currency, particularly since some appear to actively harm the forum community, though if someone comes up with a compelling and useful system, I will support it.
    1 person likes this post: HannahB
    Résumé
    Wintreath:
    Citizen: 8 April 2015 - present
    From the Ashes RP Game Master: 29 November 2015 - 24 July 2018
    Skydande Vakt Marshal: 29 November 2015 - 28 February 2017
    Skrifa of the 13th Underhusen: 13 December 2015 - 8 February 2016
    RP Guild Councillor: 9 February 2016 - 6 March 2018
    Ambassador to Lovely: 23 February 2016 - 17 August 2016
    Werewolf VII co-host: 11 May 2016 - 5 June 2016
    Skrifa of the 18th Underhusen: 8 October 2016 - 7 December 2016
    Ambassador to Balder: 1 December 2016 - 1 March 2022
    Skrifa of the 19th Underhusen: 7 December 2016 - 9 February 2017
    Ambassador to the INWU: 11 March 2017 - 1 March 2022
    Ambassador to the Versutian Federation: 18 August 2017 - 22 March 2018
    Thane of Integration: 29 September 2017 - 7 March 2018
    Speaker of the 24th Underhusen: 10 October 2017 - 7 December 2017
    October 2017 Wintreath's Finest: 4 November 2017
    Speaker pro tempore of the 25th Underhusen: 9 December 2017 - 7 February 2018
    Wintreath's Finest of 2017: 6 January 2018
    Werewolf XIV host: 20 January 2018 - 23 February 2018
    February 2018 Wintreath's Finest: 5 March 2018
    Thane of Embassy Dispatches / Foreign Releases and Information / Foreign Dispatches: 7 March 2018 - 15 March 2020
    Speaker of the 28th Underhusen: 10 June 2018 - 7 August 2018
    Second Patriarch of the Noble House of Valeria: 10 October 2018 - present
    Arena Game 6 Host: 28 December 2018 - 9 March 2019
    Librarian of the Underhusen: 29 January 2019 - 12 February 2019
    Speaker of the 32nd Underhusen: 12 February 2019 - 8 April 2019
    March 2019 Wintreath's Finest: 4 April 2019
    Librarian of the Underhusen: 12 April 2019 - 23 October 2020
    Commendation of Wintreath: 24 September 2020
    Peer of the Overhusen: 9 December 2020 - 8 February 2021
    Vice Chancellor of the Landsraad: 26 May 2021 - 15 September 2022
    Arena Game 8 Host: 10 June 2021 - 19 July 2021
    June 2021 Wintreath's Finest: 5 July 2021
    Regional Stability Squad: 28 February 2023 - present
    Minecraft Server Admin: 8 March 2023 - present

Aura Hyperia/New Hyperion:
    Plebeian: 16 April 2014 - 21 July 2014
    Patrician: 21 July 2014 - present
    Adeptus Mechanicus: 24 October 2014 - 16 November 2014
    Co-founder of New Hyperion: 29 October 2014 - present
    Lord of Propaganda: 16 November 2014 - present
    Mapmaker for Official Region RP: 27 November 2015 - present
    WACom Delegate: 11 November 2017 - present
    Other positions: Hyperian Guardsman, Hyperian Marine (Rank: Scout)
    taulover
    • Seeker of Knowledge
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    Emoticonius
  • Former Citizen
  • Supreme Grand Admiral of The Emoticonian Army
  • We could utilize it the same way Equinox used their Pokepets feature. They were displayed underneath the forum avatar. We could display these alternative avatars in the box that's beneath our avatars. Maybe it could even tie into RP somehow.
    “I support anyone’s right to be who they want to be. My question is: to what extent do I have to participate in your self-image?” - Dave Chappelle
    7:42 PM <Govindia> eh, i like the taste of nuts in my mouth

Potential clients should PM or Query Emoticonius
    Emoticonius
    • Crasher Endorsed, Native Approved
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Kaizer
      Representing
      Wintreath Nation
    Gerrick
  • What I've been having a hard time with though is with the substance of the system...I think that buildings need to serve some purpose to get people to by them, but on the other hand by doing so we could be driving the whole community in a new direction. If we presume people are buying land and raising buildings as nations, then we could do things like allow people to build military structures, raise armies, and fight each other, becoming a competitive nation game unto ourselves. On the other hand, if we presume people are buying land and raising buildings as individuals, we can do things like encourage people to come together to build cities, let people have businesses where they can provide services and homes to customize and store things in, and from there do things like crafting, resource gathering, etc...we would go in a more RPG route that would encourage people to develop individual characters.

I feel like if adopt this, it'll be bigger than a mini-game, and the choices we make in developing it will have an impact on how we develop as a site and a community.
    Personally, I'd prefer the latter. Or do both: where you could buy and improve lots in a city with other people; and then rather than creating a whole nation in the first, you start with a plot of land in the country, then upgrade buildings to become a hamlet/village/town, and you could then raise armies depending on buildings and settlement size. We wouldn't need detailed graphics for this, though I'm sure people would pay someone (Emoticonius) to create them for them.

We could then implement Chanku's avatar feature to be your character in all this. As others have said, though, the actual graphics for that would be difficult. Then again, it could just be abstract like the land feature, then people could pay someone to create them for them. And as Wintermoot said, I could develop a system where you can buy things for your personalized character that you can use in the Arena.
    1 person likes this post: Wintermoot

Duke of Wintreath and Count of Janth
    Patriarch of the Noble House of Burdock
    Curriculum Vitae
    Citizen: 15 November 2015 - present
    Recruitment Contest Winner: December 2015
    Recruitment Contest Winner: January 2016
    Secretary of the 14th Underhusen: 8 February 2016 - 8 April 2016
    RP Guild Councillor: 9 February 2016 - 24 February 2017
    Recruitment Contest Winner: April 2016
    Wintreath's Finest: April 2016
    Ambassador to Nesapo: 5 July 2016 - 13 March 2017
    Jarl of Culture: 30 November 2016 - 13 September 2019
    Wintreath's Finest: November 2016
    Wintreath's Finest: February 2017
    Count of Janth: 17 September 2017 - present
    Patriarch of the Noble House of Burdock: 17 September 2017 - present
    Recruitment Contest Winner: September 2017
    Duke of Wintreath: 13 September 2019 - present
    Wintreath's Finest: September 2019
    Skrifa of the 37th Underhusen: 8 December 2019 - 8 February 2020
    Wintreath's Finest of the Year: 2019
    Commendation of Wintreath: 27 June 2020
    Citizens' Council Member: 14 September 2020 - 8 March 2021
    Skrifa of the 43rd Underhusen: 9 December 2020 - 8 February 2021 🔥

Alder of the Riksraad: 7 June 2021 - 17 June 2021
    Jarl of Culture: 17 June 2021 - 14 November 2021
    Alder of the Riksraad: 14 November 2021 - 1 March 2022
    Regional Stability Squad: 27 February 2023 - present
    Gerrick
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Bisexual
      Familial House
      Burdock
      Wintreath Nation
    Emoticonius
  • Former Citizen
  • Sure we don't need graphics for this, but that doesn't necessarily mean we can't have it. The land itself is easy to make. Here's an admittedly deformed prototype I made.

This too was hastily made but I can definitely get it done right.

Structures would of course take much more work but it is within the realm of possibility for us. I think we really should have graphics for it. Sure I'm no professional but I am confident that I can make great contributions to it.
    “I support anyone’s right to be who they want to be. My question is: to what extent do I have to participate in your self-image?” - Dave Chappelle
    7:42 PM <Govindia> eh, i like the taste of nuts in my mouth

Potential clients should PM or Query Emoticonius
    Emoticonius
    • Crasher Endorsed, Native Approved
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Kaizer
      Representing
      Wintreath Nation
    taulover
  • Seeker of Knowledge
  • Suggestion if we do go down this path: use isometric tiles.
    4 people like this post: Elbbsas, BraveSirRobin, Gerrick, Emoticonius
    Résumé
    Wintreath:
    Thane of Embassy Dispatches / Foreign Releases and Information / Foreign Dispatches: 7 March 2018 - 15 March 2020

taulover
    • Seeker of Knowledge
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    Chanku
  • Citizen
  • Krone Implementation Plan

This document specifies how the Krone would be best implemented, along with how the Economy and it's systems should be managed. This will not include anything directly related to programming, but may include things related to how the system may be programmed or certain values to be used in the program.

Part I - Addressing Definitions
    • Sink: A way for currency to be removed from the economy and thus destroyed.
    • Faucet: A way for currency to enter the economy.
    • Destroy: To have a given amount of currency no longer be part of the economy, thus ceasing to exist. If an individual has that amount and can spend it, it is not destroyed.
    • Bank: The Wintreath Website itself and the economy system.
    • Currency: A monetary unit. In this case it is the Krone.
    • Currency Neutral Activity: An Activity that does not increase or decrease the supply of Krones in the economy.

Part II - Sinks and Faucets
       In order to have a healthy economy, we need to have ways for the money to enter and leave the economy. In order for this we need to have sinks and faucets, and then have those sinks be meaningful while having the faucets be not too difficult to get. First let us address the easiest option, Faucets.

In my opinion, the best idea we could use is using the Gaia Online system, with some modifications. With the Gaia online system users earn Gold, their currency, as they browse, post, play games, vote in polls, participate in various events and contests, a battle system, along with random gold (or items) from a lottery-like system. In this system, we could use the posting, voting in forum polls, and events/contents. With the posting, we should remove its usage in the Spam area, as opposed to Gaia Online. Further, it should be noted, that in Gaia online posting has a diminishing return effect, where the more posts you make over a period of a day, the less money you make, with certain amounts being added back on to the amount of money you make for a longer period in between posts. This also somewhat applies to voting in polls, except it goes down each time. Events/Contests would be done later, ideally a few months after the introduction and management of the Krone. Further, posting should get more value than voting due to the fact that posting requires someone to actually respond and think.

Now, in order to curtail inflation, to prevent massive devaluation of the Krone, and to avoid hyperinflation measures must be made to remove the krone from the economy to act as a 'valve'. I propose that we, once again, borrow from Gaia online in a sense and introduce similar sinks. These are things such as shops and items, events, account changes, and inventory space. I will also be adding a small battle system into this (For more information about this See Part III - Forum Changes and Implementation and the section on the battle system). Now in order to make things like items, inventory space, and shops to be considered valuable, we must introduce a new system, which is also inspired by Gaia Online, an avatar that is customizable, but in a different way. To better understand this proposed system, see Part III - Forum Changes and Implementation. Shops would sell an item for a certain amount of gold, the item could be cosmetic or serve a function. If it serves a function, then it should be either single-use (for items such as consumables, like potions and food) or have durability (for items such as swords). Note that a function can also, ultimately, be cosmetic as well (such as a gender-change potion). With items that have durability, every day they will lose a small amount of durability, even if not in use. Items that can be in use, such as in the battle system, will lose durability based upon how it is used, and the system that uses it. For events, it could be something like Gaia Online's Save our Shops event, in which gold needed to be donated to protect the shops due to 'tax issues'. Account changes would include things like Name Changing and Changing the Gender of your Avatar (Not the gender listed on your account), which could cost a set amount of Krone to change it, although we could give one or two times free. I will also add that I think a good idea is to have things like joining guilds or registering families to cost a small, flat fee. I will be going over this a bit more in Part IV of this document.

Part III - Forum Changes and Implementation Details
       Before I move on to other parts of the system and it's arguments, I'm going to go over how certain systems should be, ideally, implemented at the beginning.

Battle System
       First, the Battle System. In this system a person could battle another Wintrean, or Monster. The reason why they would do this is that a small amount of gold might be awarded to a player for defeating a monster. For battling other Intrans, both players would (willingly) pay an amount of gold, and then they can battle, the winner gets some Krones, and may also get an item (such an item should be bound and cosmetic only. It must be cosmetic only if it may provide any advantage in the battle system.). Battling would be similar to what you think of in a JRPG, in players select their decision, and then they are acted upon at the same time. Items with durability would also loose a larger portion of their durability, but would be able to affect a stat. Certain Consumables may also help with this, by providing temporary buffs. There would also be a general 'stamina' stat, which would decrease with each battle and would need to be restored by eating or by waiting. Stats like Stamina, and Health, would regenerate over time (Health would regen at a faster rate than Stamina) however consumables such as certain foods would restore one of the two, or both.

Over time the battle system could grow into a larger system entirely. It should be noted this purpose is to help act as a sink primarily, in order to help remove durability items. Ideally this could also be worked into the Arena Forum Game as well.

Durability System
       I will be going over how durability should work. As stated previously items that have a function in the battle system, beyond a one-time use, would have a durability, with it going down a small amount each day. Usage in the battle system would decrease its durability more, and also quicker, however it would provide a benefit within the battle system. Durable items may also have the daily durability removal be based upon how new it is, with newer items loosing less durability than those that are old. Durable items should also require to be repaired before being sold, as a way to further make this act as a sink.

The avatar system would, ideally, allow a small 'chibi' character that can be customized in 'parts'. As such this section is further divided into categories: Non-Item Customization, Item Customization, and Consumable Customization.

Non-Item Customization
       Non-Item customizations are things that are applied upon being bought. As they are not items, they are untradable, and thus act as a sink. These items are things like Hair and Eyes are in this category. Under the category of hair it is hair styles and color, under the category of eyes it is eye shape, general expression, and eye color.

Item Customizations are simply accessories and clothing that can be used on an avatar to customize it. These are items and as such may be traded or sold by the players. They may be attached or removed at any time as well. Degradable items are also classified under this category. Most of these only affect some stats or are cosmetic only. These can be divided up into further categories, but for the sake of this document, it does not divide these categories. However, it does suggest that if Wigs are to be a thing, that they be treated similar to hats. Further it is HIGHLY suggested that Wigs are more expensive than actual hair changing, in order to make that sink more useful.

Consumable Customizations are those that are items, but upon being used are consumed for an effect. These items may be sold or traded by players. These can be things such as Gender Change Potions, or other kinds of potions. For example Gaia Online has a consumables that make you a Vampire or change your skin tone. These items act as sinks, but as minor sinks.

Shop System
       The shop system is where users BUY things, users may not sell things to the stores, in order to keep the amount of Faucets lower and to add more discretion in how the economy works. Ideally there would be multiple 'shops', which would act as item categories so users can more easily find what they are looking for, however for the start of it we can just place everything in one shop, please note that from this point onwards I will be using the singular, shop, to refer to either the one shop or multiple shops that may be used. The Majority of items would need to be bought from a store, with some items being given away in contests/events ands some items may be obtained from the battle system (See the Battle System section for more information.). All the items would cost an amount of Krones, with the amount being determined by general inflation, and how easy and cheap the item should be, especially starting out. For example a plastic braclet may only cost 10 krones at the start and a diamond braclet may cost about 100 Krones at the start. At the start of this, each month inflation would be calculated and then the prices adjusted accordingly. After a year of doing this we would then only update it every six (6) months to one (1) year to keep up with the inflation. There would be no tax on shop transactions. Ideally we should also have some minor supply and demand effects here, and if something is in low demand potentially offering a sale, while if something is on high demand potentially raise the price up a little.

Trading System
       The Trading system goes over things such as Gifting, Item trading, and player 'stores'. As such I've divided it up into three categories and will be addressing this in that order as well, under those categories. Also, notes this is a Currency Neutral Activity

Gifting
       Gifting is basically giving the user an item or Krones, without getting something in return as part of a trade (for that see the Item Subsection.). A user would be able to either buy something from the store and give it to a user (potentially a user could also have a wish list as well), or could just send them Krones. This allows players to sell non-item goods, such as services, and still get Krones for them. This allows users to sell things such as Proof Reading Services, Legal Services, Images, and things like that, which may not have a tangible item that can be used on the avatar or in the battle system, but instead for whatever want they have. Krone sent through this system have the same tax as the tax on Krones in Item Trading (See the Item Trading Subsection), in order to prevent this from being used to bypass the Taxes on Item Trading.

Item Trading is where users trade items directly, this allows for players to trade items both have, instead of having to use Krones. This allows items themselves to have a value, however trades must be agreed upon by both players, in this system they could also use Krones as an item, however the tax should be either equal too or double the tax of the Player stores. This is to decentivize the use of Krones to circumvent the Player Store prices or the Player store taxes. This also allows some bartering and negotiation.

Player Stores are not actual, stores. Instead, a player may sell an item for a price that they choose, and it may be more than or lower than what you can get in the actual store. However, an item, upon being placed within this may be bought by anyone who can pay the cost. You can change the price as you wish, however you can not limit someone from buying it unless you remove it from sale. The items are also non-negotiable and are final as well (similar to actual stores). This is not grouped in with the actual store system as well. All transactions taking place here should have about a small tax on all sales, with a suggested tax of 2%, with it only being raised due to potential economic issues.

Also since we are ripping up the old systems and implementing new ones, we should allow the new system to be optional for members that have already signed up, potentially backdating it by a little to get people into this system already. However, make it so that once they opt-in to the new system they can not opt back out. This way people aren't forced into a system they don't want to use, however the trade off should be that name changes cost a bit more than it would on the new system, they can only earn a limited amount of Krones within a time frame, they can't use any of the new systems, and that the cap would be limited to the amount needed for a name change. If they do move to the new system, they do get to keep any Krones they have earned. This way we allow people to use the old system if they want too, while encouraging users to use the new system. Also, the cap of Krones that a person in the new system should be able to get should be limited to the highest bounds of a 32-Bit Integer, which is 2,147,483,647. The reason for this is two fold, one because it is high enough that it shouldn't be hit for a long time, and the second because it is low enough that if we ever have large masses of players needing to actually get past this, then we will probably have inflation issues at that point that we need to address.

Inventory System
       With items, there needs to be something for people to hold them in, as such there needs to be an inventory system. With this, it's a simple idea everyone starts off with X amount of slots to hold all items that you have, even equipped ones. As this space is finite, there will be 'upgrades' that can be bought, which would expand the inventory by a number of slots. These upgrades are permanent, they also act as a sink in order to remove money from the Economy without having to worry about that much added value. Ideally, upgrades would get more expensive each time, with a limit. I would suggest every starts with a few slots in total, which may be upgraded later.

Part IV - Addressing Criticisms from an economic Standpoint.
       I will also address the issues that have been brought up with some systems I have suggested, such as the fee for guilds and families or getting Krones by posting, in this section.

First off let me address the Fee for Guilds and Families. The cost for this should be about one post worth of Krones, or lower (ideally a bit lower). This shouldn't add too much of a disincentive to doing this, as it will be easy to recover the loss. However, to counter this and to make joining Guilds and having Families worth it, we could add incentives. For example guilds could easily give people a small amount of money for participating in guild activities or helping out with the guild. This incentivizes people to join guilds, however the money made out of this shouldn't be generated, but instead given from the guild itself. This would be done with people joining the guild, most of that money goes to the guild (with around a small portion being deducted for 'taxes'), which then can be payed out to members, this also must ONLY be available for guilds with fees, and no guild should be given any actual starting money. It should also be set at or around the fee itself. It should also be up to the guild if they charge a fee, if they get any money from the fee, and if they pay members (should they have a fee). For families, we could incorporate that into our system itself by having familial trades have a slightly lower tax than non-familial trades. However, joining and leaving families would have to be restricted and would require more lock-down in order to prevent abuse of this system.

Now to address the issue of the faucets in this system. You see, the concern arises from what most other regions do, however the issue isn't in the Faucets themselves, but the implementation of them, and the lack of sinks. Those with a concern over this faucet do, in fact, address the fact that most of the time the system have little to no meaningful sinks. However, that is one of the main issues in this. In fact for those systems meaningful sinks, which give value to people, would help alleviate those issues. However, the other issue is the exact implementation of said faucet. With the diminishing return used here, it doesn't exactly incentivize spamming, but does incentivize long, and hopefully more thoughtful, posts. This way, people not only are more likely to participate in discussions, but are more likely to contribute to those discussions. This also prevents the Krone from being too scarce, but also helps slow down inflation and helps prevent hyperinflation. We need to keep in mind that a leaky faucet can help cause, or speed, inflation up, however it is the lack of a drain that works which causes it to eventually overflow into economic devaluation and hyperinflation. We also should keep in mind inflation of around 2-4% is considered stable and good for the economy, so it is inflation greater than that, which causes economic issues.

Part V - Addressing the other proposals
       Now, I do wish to address some other proposals for the implementation. This will mainly go over faucet implementations.

A suggestion has been to avoid giving Krones out for posting and the like, but instead have it through creating topics and having people respond to topics. This isn't necessarily a good idea, because you aren't giving incentive for people to actually post a response to threads, nor are you incentivizing good posts. You are, however directly incentivizing people paying those to respond to their topics and more spammy responses. You are also encouraging the creation of low-value and more short-lived topics which fragments some discussions and the like. Further there is the issue of how do you handle split topics and discussions, and how that is handled within this system. You also make Krones too scarce, and may cause over-valuation or the formation of a bubble to form. It would also be harder to hit a target inflation rate, make the economy grow slower than it should, and would inevitably create a large wealth gap between new and old people, and those who post more topics and the like, and those that lurk more.

Another suggestion has been to give payment out to government officials and those who do extra work, is nice. However only doing this only makes it too scarce, and doing it in addition to the above only makes it harder for new people to get involved and find their niche. This has an effect to where there will, once again, be a difference between new users and old ones, which will only grow more over time. This gap will ultimately decentivize people from participating in any case.

A final idea I will touch upon, aside from something I haven't already addressed above, is that is to give money to government officials as a payment. Again, there is the issue of it being too scarce and over-valuation with this being the only form of faucet. When combined with the above, it may make it slightly more distributed, however we still need to keep in mind that Wintreath is, largely, a meritocracy, meaning that ultimately money will mainly go to those at the top, and less will go to those at the bottom. Older users will have an advantage, as they are more likely to be government workers in higher positions and also have lower positions as well. Even if lower positions are opened up deliberately for new users, it will still be lower paying positions, thus meaning that the older users, who already know what they like to do and already have proven themselves, will more than likely still get more money. When combined with the above system, you risk over inflation and having too many faucets. Further, early in the system, we need the money to get to people first, and then we can look at adding more ways to earn, without affecting the economy or inflation too much.

Part VI - How this should be rolled out
       This should be rolled out at once, however certain things could be teased before they are released. In addition to this we should focus on getting the systems in place first, and then get the art in place prior to release. It doesn't matter if the art is done days before, or a few hours before release. What does matter is that the system works and can handle things being added to it on a semi-regular basis.

Also, for things like the decrease on getting Krones through posting and voting, it should not go below zero, ever. Doing so will disincentivize posting. I will note that this will take a bit of time, and a lot of effort. However, in order to create a robust, stable, and functioning economy, one that is unlike anything else any region in NationStates has, we need to be willing to put this forward. I know I am asking for a lot, however we don't need to do anything super big either. Everything can be minimalistic as we tweak things and fix things. So long as they are implemented in an ideal fashion, we can build upon these systems later.

Part VII - On the Economy, Politics, and the Storting
       I felt like I should go over this topic briefly, in order to discuss this and get this point out of the way. Please note this is not about the economics or implementation itself, more so it's about the political side of things.

At this time I recommend keeping this away from the Storting/Underhusen or any elected member of Government. We do not need to introduce politicization, insecurity, and popular will to the system until later on, if ever. Further, allowing the Storting to get say over important things this early in the development then it threatens the existence and stability of the economy we are planning. It will increase politicization as well, something we are not too keen on doing. I also highly suggest keeping decisions away from the Government in general, as having it is more administrative than governmental. However, I do suggest creating a Ministry of Economics in order to help manage the economy and provide suggestions. This will allow for someone, who knows what they are doing, to better manage and recommend changes and improvements, while not allowing them from going overboard.

Part VIII - Ending Arguments
       The systems I have proposed here are non-exclusive and may be implemented with other ideas. However, interactions between them must be considered. Adding new Faucets or sinks must be considered and looked at from the question about how they will potentially affect the economy, especially if the economy is stable. This is not an all-or-nothing proposal either, you may choose what systems you want and don't want. However, be careful in doing so, I have created this with the idea that it will be all balanced, and removing or changing a sink or faucet could have drastic effects on the economy in the future. We must remember that we are not only implementing a currency, but creating an economy, and in order for this to work we must do work, we must look at potential interactions and look at this through the lens of economics. Failing to do so will lead to the failure of our economy before it begins. I have attempted to do just that in this proposal. This proposal is not perfect, but it is the best that I believe will work, with the most minimal amount of effort. Rome was not built in a day, and neither will our economy, our working economy.
    2 people like this post: taulover, Gerrick
    See you later space cowboy.
    Old Signature

Current Positions in Wintreath
    Matriarch of House Kaizer
    Speaker of the 29th Underhusen
    Advisor to the Riksråd
    Positions I've held
    Riksrad(1st Jarl of Information, 3rd Jarl of Foreign Affairs, 2nd Jarl of Defense)
    Member of the WHR
    Speaker of the Underhusen (3rd)
    Speaker Pro Tempore of the Underhusen (1st)
    Underhusen Member (1st-3rd)
    Member of the 5th Overhusen
    Chairman of the 5th Overhusen
    6th Underhusen
    Speaker of the 6th Underhusen
    Mandate Holder for Jarl of Defense
    Member of the 8th Storting (Underhusen)
    Royalty of Wintreath
    Ambassador for the Department of Foreign Affairs.
    Underhusen Terms I've been a part of
    1st Underhusen
    2nd Underhusen
    3rd Underhusen
    6th Underhusen
    8th Underhusen
    Overhusen Terms I've been a part of
    5th Overhusen
    Families I've been a part of
    Kaizer - Matriarch (REFORMED)
    Kestar - Child of Wintermoot (REMOVED)
    Chanku
    taulover
  • Seeker of Knowledge
  • Interesting and thought-provoking plan, Chanku. I have one question, though: by "Name Changing," are you suggesting changing the name of your RP character, or your username?

Still, I don't see the need for a Wintrean currency or working economy, and as such I'm not sure it'd be worth the effort involved. I do like your point that something on this level would be unprecedented, though, and consequently I might be able to get behind something similar to this plan, if only because it's interesting.
    Résumé
    Wintreath:

taulover
    • Seeker of Knowledge
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    Michi
  • Level 167 Caticorn God of Destruction
  • Since Chanku keeps bringing it up and insisting that we borrow from it, I'd like to actually encourage people to check out Gaia Online to see what exactly he's proposing.

The Avatar he's referring to is a character that you create when you join.  You decide the hair and eye color and style (from a set list of starter styles) as well as the skin color and gender.  As he mentions, it replaces the typical avatar, so every time you'll post, you'll see your character where a normal avatar would be.  As per later updates, you also get to choose a starter set of clothes to wear (compared to the older version that only allowed peasant starter clothes).

As he stated, you can post around, play games, make topics, participate in events/Avatar contests, or play the Marketplace game to earn yourself gold.  It's essentially a massive messageboard with other features that has gained a huge mass of members (total and active) since its inception.

Likewise, you can buy clothes/items from the shops or marketplace, buy the right to change your username (it increases in price every time you want to change your name), use the gold for "gambling" or as an entry fee to those same contests/events, setting up a guild, and other features.

Now...

*puts on logic cap*

There's several things wrong here, that won't/don't translate ideally for Wintreath.

1) As I stated before, Gaia actually has a TEAM of designers for their items.  Everything that is released (especially the evolving/multi use items) are carefully made by artists.  These artists are actually paid (and not in Gaia gold, but actual money) for their creations...after all, art, even little item customizations, take quite a bit of time...and you're not really going to find many people that dedicated without some kind of actual incentive behind it.  As we stand right now, the best we can do is steal others' work and use it for our own, which is something I wouldn't support.  We can also go the simple route and make crude bits and pieces...but if we don't go balls to the wall with it and make it WOW worthy, then it's not something people are really going to get into.

2) Again, as I mentioned, Gaia's economy is far from perfect.  In fact, inflation has been so terrible that its essentially fallen on it's head. They've had to release more and more versions of the same items just to bring down the outrageously high prices for "legendary" items such as the Angelic Halo and Demon Horns (which amusingly, they try to counter by jacking the price of those items up by making them super rare items that you may get from a chance item that you buy with cash/from the marketplace)...but even then prices have still skyrocketed through the roof from people making bank from the Marketplace.  As I mentioned, in its early stages, you'd get a simple 25-50 for making a post, and it'd go down each time per post.  I just made a second post on there, and went from 967,204,678 gold to 967,212,556.  That's 7,878 gold...and that's my second post.  A third post?  8,612 gold.  Here's things to keep in mind:  It's not descending anymore, but set on a random amount in that area.  All three of those posts were one word posts.  So someone could do that for 3 posts (or even just an emoticon) and earn that much per post...keeping in mind that in 2005, again, you'd start with at most 50 with a descending amount per post, with you at most earning 25 per post after a set amount.

And that's just posting around the forums.  Items have had to increase in price to meet that change, with items that were 300 gold now costing 3,000,000, some common items even hitting the billion marker.  Legendary items (which normally ranged from the triple thousand to millions range because of their age and rarity) now figure into the trillion gold range (some even hitting the triple digits in the trillions).

In short, it's increased dramatically...and this is after starter sets and animated items were introduced.

3) by "later" real money options were introduced 4 months after its inception, in the form of the still-existing Monthly Collectibles.  Ideally it was taking the place of what Wintreath's donations area is for...but again you're talking G.O has to cover not only site costs...but also paying its artists and other staff, so there was a bit of incentive there to make it much more appealing so that a mass amount of people would "donate."

4) Again, one reason this even works for G.O is their massive user base.  It also has a massive list of active users, and even in its older days had no problems with activity.  Heck, to give an idea today, here's what you're looking at: