Pages: [1] 2

The Judiciary

Wintermoot
  • Regional Stability Squad
  • The Greyscale Magi-Monk
  • While we're concluding our discussions on the legislature, I thought it would be a good time to start discussion on how justice will be carried out in our region. I thought these are things we could start by considering:

1) Should a separate branch be created for the purpose of hearing cases and interpreting law, or should that be entrusted to an existing branch, the Executive or the legislature? Some regions leave it to one or the other, and don't have a unique standing judiciary.

2) If it is to be a separate branch, how should members be selected, what qualifications should they have, and what terms should they have if any at all? Additionally, under what circumstances should members be required to recuse themselves?

3) On the other hand, if an existing part of government is entrusted with this authority, which branch will it be? How exactly will they carry out the new authority?

4) What powers are we even considering here? The power to hear cases, to interpret the law and Constitution, to issue advisory opinions, and/or to strike down laws? Anything else?

I went all the way to Cassadega to commune with the dead
    They said "You'd better look alive"
    Wintermoot
    • Weather: ❄️
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation
    Chanku
  • Citizen
  • 1) Yes

2) Members should be appointed, assuming there are three, one by the Underhusen, one from the Overhusen, and one by the executive.

3) This is done by the Jcicary

4) The power to hear cases, to interpret the law and Constitution, to issue advisory opinions, and/or to strike down laws. They can also impeach any member of Underhusen, or Overhusen, they can also stop the impeachment. However if they choose to impeach they must have probable cause, and another judge would have to see the case.
    1 person likes this post: Kanzler95
    See you later space cowboy.
    Old Signature

Current Positions in Wintreath
    Matriarch of House Kaizer
    Speaker of the 29th Underhusen
    Advisor to the Riksråd
    Positions I've held
    Riksrad(1st Jarl of Information, 3rd Jarl of Foreign Affairs, 2nd Jarl of Defense)
    Member of the WHR
    Speaker of the Underhusen (3rd)
    Speaker Pro Tempore of the Underhusen (1st)
    Underhusen Member (1st-3rd)
    Member of the 5th Overhusen
    Chairman of the 5th Overhusen
    6th Underhusen
    Speaker of the 6th Underhusen
    Mandate Holder for Jarl of Defense
    Member of the 8th Storting (Underhusen)
    Royalty of Wintreath
    Ambassador for the Department of Foreign Affairs.
    Underhusen Terms I've been a part of
    1st Underhusen
    2nd Underhusen
    3rd Underhusen
    6th Underhusen
    8th Underhusen
    Overhusen Terms I've been a part of
    5th Overhusen
    Families I've been a part of
    Kaizer - Matriarch (REFORMED)
    Kestar - Child of Wintermoot (REMOVED)
    Chanku
    Ceardia
  • Former Citizen
  • 1) There should be a separate branch for the Judiciary.

2) They should be selected by the King and approved by the Overhusen by a majority/supermajority vote in favor of, and they'll be made a member. However the Underhusen should be able to reject a nomination made by the King even if accepted by the Overhusen if a supermajority of them vote against the appointment.

3) N/A

4) The power to interpret the Constitution and the statutory laws of Wintreath, the power to hear civil cases and criminal charges, the power to issue advisory opinions, the power of judicial review and with that the power to render laws and executive acts in conflict with the Constitution as null and void.
    Ceardia Solstice
    Ceardia
    • Former Citizen
    • Wintreath Nation
    Charax
  • Paragons
  • Relic

2) They should be selected by the King and approved by the Overhusen by a majority/supermajority vote in favor of, and they'll be made a member. However the Underhusen should be able to reject a nomination made by the King even if accepted by the Overhusen if a supermajority of them vote against the appointment.

3) N/A

4) The power to interpret the Constitution and the statutory laws of Wintreath, the power to hear civil cases and criminal charges, the power to issue advisory opinions, the power of judicial review and with that the power to render laws and executive acts in conflict with the Constitution as null and void.
    tl;dr - Spiritus, but siphon power from the monarchy.
    Great success
    Charax
    Paragon of the Realm
    Skrifa of the 40th Underhusen
    Former Prince & Jarl of Foreign Affairs
    Charax
    • Relic
    • Paragons
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Wintreath Nation
    kinxer
  • Former Citizen

3) N/A

This is my preference. Out of curiousity, what is a supermajority? 2/3? 3/4? 137/169?
    kinxer
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Wintreath Nation
    Ceardia
  • Former Citizen
  • This is my preference. Out of curiousity, what is a supermajority? 2/3? 3/4? 137/169?
    A supermajority mainly tends to be either 3/5 or 2/3. Although when I refer to a supermajority, I'm implying 2/3.
    Ceardia Solstice
    Ceardia
    • Former Citizen
    • Wintreath Nation
    Charax
  • Paragons
  • Relic
  • That's a loathsome system, and one that I've always hated about Spiritus. I'm not sure of an alternative, but I'd like to see one presented from elsewhere.
    Charax
    Paragon of the Realm
    Charax
    • Relic
    • Paragons
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Wintreath Nation
    Wintermoot
  • I agree with Charax. I was very unhappy with the Supreme Court in Spiritus, to the point that it became another blowup between Salax and I. In most regions with a separate judiciary, it's easily the most inactive branch in government, and as it is in Spiritus they're usually so insulated that they can do whatever they want, including making ridiculous and political rulings. I'd like to see an alternative as well.

What if we simply separated their responsibilities and gave them away to the legislature? The Overhusen could rule on Constitutional questions, and an appointee of the Monarch (in practice the Jarl of Resolutions) plus two members of the Underhusen could try cases. Any thoughts there?

Wintermoot
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation
    Charax
  • Paragons
  • Relic
  • Looks good to me.
    Charax
    Paragon of the Realm
    Charax
    • Relic
    • Paragons
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Wintreath Nation
    Weissreich
  • Paragons
  • Duke of Wintreath
  • Perhaps it would be best to allow the Monarch to select a member from the upper and the people vote in a member from the lower, each of whom will be entrusted with judicial authority? Depending on the size of the lower, it could be one appointed member from the upper with assistance from the elected lower bestowed with the authority by the monarch with assistance from two lower-house members selected by lower-house vote?
    Duke Klause Edíl-Astos Meindhert
    Archivist Academic

"Not all those who wander are lost."
    Weissreich
    • Duke of Wintreath
    • Paragons
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Meindhert
      Wintreath Nation
    Wintermoot
  • Could you break down that last sentence for me? I don't think I understand. :P

Wintermoot
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation
    Toms
  • Former Citizen
  • What if we simply separated their responsibilities and gave them away to the legislature? The Overhusen could rule on Constitutional questions, and an appointee of the Monarch (in practice the Jarl of Resolutions) plus two members of the Underhusen could try cases. Any thoughts there?

Sounds good to me, though of course you'd have to appoint a Jarl of Resolutions first.
    Toms
    • Former Citizen
    • Wintreath Nation
    Wintermoot
  • Sounds good to me, though of course you'd have to appoint a Jarl of Resolutions first.

* Wintermoot is waiting for someone with experience, talent, and interest to make themselves known

In practice though I could simply appoint myself until the position was filled.

Wintermoot
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation
    Weissreich
  • Paragons
  • Duke of Wintreath
  • Could you break down that last sentence for me? I don't think I understand. :P

Basically, one member of the upper house and one member of the lower house are appointed to the position, then depending on how big the lower house is, another 1 or 2 or 3 members are voted on to fill the remaining positions?

However, I'd go for complete separation of powers if I were you. Have the Monarch/Upper/Lower all have the ability to propose a candidate and then hold a vote on them.
    Duke Klause Edíl-Astos Meindhert
    Archivist Academic

"Not all those who wander are lost."
    Weissreich
    • Duke of Wintreath
    • Paragons
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Meindhert
      Wintreath Nation
    kinxer
  • Former Citizen
  • * Wintermoot is waiting for someone with experience, talent, and interest to make themselves known

What exactly is a Jarl of Resolutions?
    kinxer
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Wintreath Nation

Pages: [1] 2