Pages: 1 ... 3 [4]

Legislature, Part Duex

Weissreich
  • Paragons
  • Duke of Wintreath
  • Hmm, perhaps use half of all the citizen users on the forum as a basis for it, then?
    Duke Klause Edíl-Astos Meindhert
    Archivist Academic

"Not all those who wander are lost."
    Weissreich
    • Duke of Wintreath
    • Paragons
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Meindhert
      Wintreath Nation
    Charax
  • Paragons
  • Relic
  • But then you have the other half in the executive & judiciary and the ruling class ceases to be a separate entity from the ruled, which defeats the whole point of the monarchy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Charax
    Paragon of the Realm
    Skrifa of the 40th Underhusen
    Former Prince & Jarl of Foreign Affairs
    Charax
    • Relic
    • Paragons
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Wintreath Nation
    Wintermoot
  • Regional Stability Squad
  • The Greyscale Magi-Monk
  • With updates, this is how the legislature officially stands now...

Overhusen - The Upper Branch
    Chaired by Monarch or the Monarch's Representative
    Appointed, members must be in the Riksrad
    3-5 members, at the discretion of the Monarch

Underhusen - The Lower Branch
    Elected to 2 month terms by Citizens
    Members must be Citizens
    4-7 members, the previous legislature will vote on the number of seats for the next term (5 in first session)
    Chairman appointed by the Monarch out of those who win the election

The Process
    All legislation would originate in the Underhusen, by being submitted by any member of the Underhusen. The Underhusen could make modifications, and vote to pass or defeat the bill. Should the bill pass, it is then sent to the Overhusen. Unlike the Underhusen, the Overhusen would not be able to modify the legislation, merely vote to pass or defeat it...essentially serving as a veto. If defeated, the Underhusen could take it back up either modify and repeat the process anew or override the veto with a 2/3 super-majority vote. If passed, the bill would become law.

In the event of Constitutional Amendments, it would need to be approved by the Monarch and the people through election.

The main changes are that members of the Riksrad can now run for election in the Underhusen, and the Underhusen has been granted a veto override from the Overhusen.

I went all the way to Cassadega to commune with the dead
    They said "You'd better look alive"
    Wintermoot
    • Weather: ❄️
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation
    Libetarian Republics
  • Former Citizen
  • Who are the Riksred? I'm trying to get a greater understanding of the proposal at hand. :P
    Libetarian Republics
    Wintermoot
  • In layman's terms, the Riksrad is the Cabinet, made up of the Jarls and Thanes of each ministry. :)

Wintermoot
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation
    Charax
  • Paragons
  • Relic
  • I'm not keen on the Lords needing to be Jarls, truthfully. I know it was originally my idea, but it was an impulsive one and I'm not sure it would be such a great idea in actuality. Also, why can't the Overhusen be allowed to make changes? The House/Senate deadlock wouldn't apply in this instance because the legislature isn't partisan.
    Charax
    Paragon of the Realm
    Charax
    • Relic
    • Paragons
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Wintreath Nation
    Wintermoot
  • As I said before, I feel that having both houses be allowed to make changes would make for a confusing, inefficient process for passing laws, in that both chambers would have to keep track of what the other was doing with which version of which law. I feel that having a one-way process will make the legislature more manageable...additionally, as planned the Overhusen would be populated by members of the Riksråd who would have plenty of power in their own right as heads or deputies of Ministries. Granting them only an up-or-down vote is essentially giving them the veto power that most Executives have, giving a better balance of power between the two branches of government.

Also, if both chambers can essentially do the same thing, then I don't really see the point of a bicameral legislature. We could just as easily have a unicameral legislature with some appointed members. Not that I want to go backwards to that question, just pointing out my thought process. :P

I don't suppose it needs to be explicitly stated that only the Riksråd can sit in the Overhusen, although regardless that's what I would attempt to do in practice, just to keep there from being hordes of appointed officials. With the current Ministries, there could be a maximum of 14 Riksråd members as it is, and then adding a maximum of 5 appointed Overhusen...but yeah, I don't suppose it has to be explicitly stated.

Edit: With election nominations scheduled for tomorrow, I'd like to finalize and lock-in how the legislature is going to be today. Wouldn't do good for us to have elections and then a radical change in the legislature. :P
    « Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 02:26:56 PM by Wintermoot »

Wintermoot
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation
    Charax
  • Paragons
  • Relic
  • Ok, fair enough. I would rather it wasn't written in that lords have to be Jarls or Thanes as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Charax
    Paragon of the Realm
    Charax
    • Relic
    • Paragons
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Wintreath Nation
    Wintermoot
  • Since there's been no further replies in several days, the legislature is Wintreath is now considered locked-in, and not subject to further changes.

Overhusen - The Upper Branch
    Chaired by Monarch or the Monarch's Representative
    Appointed, must be Citizens
    3-5 members, at the discretion of the Monarch

Underhusen - The Lower Branch
    Elected to 2 month terms by Citizens
    Members must be Citizens
    4-7 members, the previous legislature will vote on the number of seats for the next term (5 in first session)
    Chairman appointed by the Monarch out of those who win the election

The Process
    All legislation would originate in the Underhusen, by being submitted by any member of the Underhusen. The Underhusen could make modifications, and vote to pass or defeat the bill. Should the bill pass, it is then sent to the Overhusen. Unlike the Underhusen, the Overhusen would not be able to modify the legislation, merely vote to pass or defeat it...essentially serving as a veto. If defeated, the Underhusen could take it back up either modify and repeat the process anew or override the veto with a 2/3 super-majority vote. If passed, the bill would become law.

In the event of Constitutional Amendments, it would need to be approved by the Monarch and the people through election.

The last change was that members of the Overhusen no longer explicitly need to come from the Riksråd, as per Charax's suggestion.

Wintermoot
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation
    Weissreich
  • Paragons
  • Duke of Wintreath
  • Ok, fair enough. I would rather it wasn't written in that lords have to be Jarls or Thanes as well.

Was this addressed in the final draft?
    Duke Klause Edíl-Astos Meindhert
    Archivist Academic

"Not all those who wander are lost."
    Weissreich
    • Duke of Wintreath
    • Paragons
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Meindhert
      Wintreath Nation