Pages: [1]

Moments That Made You Rage-Quit

Marzipan
  • Former Citizen
  • Oh to be awake but still blissfully dreaming
  • Hey nerds! Thinking back on the games I’ve played over the years and the moments that made me say f*ck this! got me curious…

What are some moments that made you rage-quit a game? Was it mechanics, story, a bug?

I could take the easy route out and say the existence of Bloodborne. That was one of my *first* games on the PS4 after years of PC gaming. I don’t remember who recommended that to me as an intro to controller play but like… AH!

Alternatively, once I got used to rage games and kinda liked the irritation… NieR: Automata. Who TF decided to make the camera change angles when you’re jumping ledges?!? What kind of a sociopath?!

Story wise was a game I didn’t play but had the pleasure of watching my best friend play and it made me wary of the rest of the series (not an issue anymore): Red Dead Redemption. I’ll keep this spoiler free but the fucking ending. THE ENDING?!
    1 person likes this post: Imaginative Kane

Regional Resume
    Citizen: June 28, 2019-  the Schism and then March 4, 2022 to Present

Member of the Noble House of Eske
    Operator: December 30th, 2022 - Present
    Jarl of Culture: September 15th, 2022 - Present
    Ambassador to Forest and Europeia (since Sept 2022)
    Creator of the Dungeon Masters (Est. April 2022)
    Creator and Co-Host of the Dungeon Tourneys (CAHpocalypse - May 2022)
    Wintreath's Finest x5 (July 2019, March 2022, April 2022, Mid-Year 2022, Year 2022)
    Wintreath’s Most Mentioned
    Spirit of Wintreath Mid-Year 2022 and Year 2022

Formerly:
    Hearthkeeper: March 12, 2022 - December 28th, 2022
    Thane of Foreign Releases: September 8th, 2022 - December 8th, 2022
    Thane of Gaming: March 20th, 2022 - September 15th, 2022
    Co-Host of Werewolf XXVII: A Golden Affair
    Skrifa/Speaker Pro Tempore of the 36th Underhusen
    Former Ambassador to Sonindia and the Kingdom of Great Britain
    Former Member of the Noble House of Kaizer and the joint Noble House of Valeria-Jormunr
    Marzipan
    • Wintreath's Official Julia Child
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      They/Them/Theirs
      Orientation
      Bisexual
      Familial House
      The Noble House of Eske
      Wintreath Nation
    Michi
  • Regional Stability Squad
  • Level 167 Caticorn God of Destruction
  • Thankfully, this is not something that happens extraordinarily common.

However, one particular example that comes to mind is from the game Oddworld: Abe's Exodus.

There's one particular area outside of the mines but in a different type of cave area populated by what I'll just call hand monsters (since their name escapes me at the moment).  In one part of it, you're essentially being chased by a bunch of them and have to escape, otherwise you're overrun and instantly killed (though any failure in that game is an insta kill).  During my first play through, I couldn't for the life of me figure out how I was supposed to get out of that situation and kept dying over and over until I eventually rage quit and threw my controller at my PS1 (and is the only time I've ever gotten that upset at a game).

Eventually I went back to it and figured it out, and yes before you ask it was an incredibly stupid and obvious method which somehow didn't cross my mind.

But yeah, that was the only time I had ever gotten that upset over a game.  Normally if I get frustrated I just find a spot to save, turn it off for the moment, and come back to it the next day to try (and normally succeed) to figure it out again...or later in the same day if I figure it out then.
    My Wintreath Resumé
    Michi
    • Level 167 Caticorn God of Destruction
    • Wintreath's Official Video Game Enthusiast
    • Pronouns
      Any except it/its
      Orientation
      Michisexual <3
      Familial House
      Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    ☆ Princess Abigail ☆
  • Former Citizen
  • 沈黙した
  • Anytime I've ever played overwatch ever...
    ❤️ Caitlin ❤️
    I want you to fall hardest of all saying my name or nothing at all.
    "Neon is genuinely exhausting to read"
    ☆ Princess Abigail ☆
    • 沈黙した
    • International Trans Girl Icon
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      She/Her/Hers
      Orientation
      People
      Wintreath Nation
    Chebikitty
  • Former Citizen
  • I was playing Death End ReQuest and doing pretty good and then I came up against a particularly hard boss for the area. I died my first attempt and then realized you don't just respawn somewhere it has you reload your last save. My last save had been at the start of the part the boss was in and there was no visible save spot near the boss. I turned the game off for the night because I had just lost like 2 hours of gameplay due to just barely dying to the boss. I would have one if they hadn't ok'd my main tank halfway through and I was out of revives.
    Chebikitty
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      They/Them/Theirs
      Orientation
      They are all hot
      Wintreath Nation
    ☆ Princess Abigail ☆
  • Former Citizen
  • 沈黙した
  • To expand. Overwatch is a team game and I struggle to contain my "rage" when I'm going 60 and 3 on Dva and we are still losing. 

I'm likely doing something wrong and should be critical of myself but we should've one like at least 1 team fight by pure dumb luck right now

WHAT DO YOU MEAN I HAVE GOLD DAMAGE...

WHERE'S MY DPS!

AAAAAAAA

if you've played league you understand my frustration at least kind of lol
    ❤️ Caitlin ❤️
    I want you to fall hardest of all saying my name or nothing at all.
    "Neon is genuinely exhausting to read"
    ☆ Princess Abigail ☆
    • 沈黙した
    • International Trans Girl Icon
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      She/Her/Hers
      Orientation
      People
      Wintreath Nation
    TGN
  • Former Citizen
  • CoD Zombies Fan
  • When I first found out lava doesn’t work like water with a fire resistance potion in Minecraft 
    I’m probably on NS lol
    • CoD Zombies Fan
    TGN
    • Greenlandic
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Kasten
      Wintreath Nation
    Marzipan
  • Former Citizen
  • When I first found out lava doesn’t work like water with a fire resistance potion in Minecraft
    The fact that this never occurred to me… that’s some BS! 

To expand. Overwatch is a team game and I struggle to contain my "rage" when I'm going 60 and 3 on Dva and we are still losing.

I'm likely doing something wrong and should be critical of myself but we should've one like at least 1 team fight by pure dumb luck right now

WHAT DO YOU MEAN I HAVE GOLD DAMAGE...

WHERE'S MY DPS!

AAAAAAAA

if you've played league you understand my frustration at least kind of lol
    Or DOTA. Honestly, any MOBA OR team game >_<

Regional Resume
    Citizen: June 28, 2019-  the Schism and then March 4, 2022 to Present

Member of the Noble House of Eske
    Operator: December 30th, 2022 - Present
    Jarl of Culture: September 15th, 2022 - Present
    Ambassador to Forest and Europeia (since Sept 2022)
    Creator of the Dungeon Masters (Est. April 2022)
    Creator and Co-Host of the Dungeon Tourneys (CAHpocalypse - May 2022)
    Wintreath's Finest x5 (July 2019, March 2022, April 2022, Mid-Year 2022, Year 2022)
    Wintreath’s Most Mentioned
    Spirit of Wintreath Mid-Year 2022 and Year 2022

Formerly:
    Hearthkeeper: March 12, 2022 - December 28th, 2022
    Thane of Foreign Releases: September 8th, 2022 - December 8th, 2022
    Thane of Gaming: March 20th, 2022 - September 15th, 2022
    Co-Host of Werewolf XXVII: A Golden Affair
    Skrifa/Speaker Pro Tempore of the 36th Underhusen
    Former Ambassador to Sonindia and the Kingdom of Great Britain
    Former Member of the Noble House of Kaizer and the joint Noble House of Valeria-Jormunr
    Marzipan
    • Wintreath's Official Julia Child
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      They/Them/Theirs
      Orientation
      Bisexual
      Familial House
      The Noble House of Eske
      Wintreath Nation
    Imaginative Kane
  • Citizen
  • Wintreath's Unofficial King of Command & Conquer Single Player and Skirmish vs Easy Opponents as any Faction and against any Faction
  • I often get frustrated but only a couple of times have I gotten frustrated enough to basically give up on a game.

GTA I have pretty much given up on because of this. I aimed to get full completion but could never seem to come anywhere near passing the 4x4 challenges in GTA 3. Those are challenges where you have to drive to checkpoints except you generally only start with thirty seconds, there are more than forty to reach, and each checkpoint only adds one second to your time left. In Vice City, I could not seem to complete emergency vehicle challenges since tricks that worked in GTA 3 generally were not working there. Also the cops seemed to be much faster in that game. Without completing the side quests first, messing around seemed less worthwhile and not as fun. Also the games overall were not as fun to me as others I had played.

Starcraft is a game I understood some of the mechanics but never could seem to figure out how to do well in. I just gave up there. Plus the game was not that fun either, especially with the population cap. Some Command & Conquer mission levels have triggered similar reactions but I have managed to persevere through most of them despite those.

Town of Salem has definitely provided plenty of rage quit moments because of the futility of defending myself from the other players accusations and frequently foiled attempts to make use of some of their own strategies.
    « Last Edit: June 10, 2022, 06:59:12 AM by Imaginative Kane »
    Peace through Power!!!
    One Vision, One Purpose!!!!!!!!!
    Oldies are goodies.
    Travel the world
    Orca.
    Meow

Let us not repeat the mistakes of history.

Now tell me.  What do you see?
    Imaginative Kane
    • Wintreath's Unofficial King of Command & Conquer Single Player and Skirmish vs Easy Opponents as any Faction and against any Faction
    • Young pessimistic technologically challenged somewhat ignorant animal and especially cat loving idiot.
    • Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His/It/Its/Their
      Familial House
      Burdock
      Wintreath Nation
    Arenado
  • Citizen
  • Some Random Guy
  • I'll avoid spoilers but suffice to say the ending of Mass Effect 3 made me rage quit.
    I Hope You Have A Nice Day :]
    Arenado
    • Some Random Guy
    • Comfortably Numb
    • Citizen
    • Pronouns
      Any/All or They/Them
      Familial House
      Eske
      Wintreath Nation
    Wintermoot
  • The Greyscale Magi-Monk
  • The only game I can remember making me frustrated to the point of anger is Hearthstone...it would be incredibly frustrating when you had a great deck of cards out, and then have it completely undone because the other player had just the right card to do away with them all. And when this would happen over and over again...

I eventually quit the game permanently because I didn't like feeling like that, but since then apparently it's become more of a pay to win game and that makes me even less interested in playing it again.

I went all the way to Cassadega to commune with the dead
    They said "You'd better look alive"
    Wintermoot
    • The Greyscale Magi-Monk
    • Weather: ❄️
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation
    Waggleton
  • Former Citizen
  • Retribution!
  • Hey nerds! Thinking back on the games I’ve played over the years and the moments that made me say f*ck this! got me curious…

What are some moments that made you rage-quit a game? Was it mechanics, story, a bug?

I could take the easy route out and say the existence of Bloodborne. That was one of my *first* games on the PS4 after years of PC gaming. I don’t remember who recommended that to me as an intro to controller play but like… AH!

Alternatively, once I got used to rage games and kinda liked the irritation… NieR: Automata. Who TF decided to make the camera change angles when you’re jumping ledges?!? What kind of a sociopath?!

Story wise was a game I didn’t play but had the pleasure of watching my best friend play and it made me wary of the rest of the series (not an issue anymore): Red Dead Redemption. I’ll keep this spoiler free but the fucking ending. THE ENDING?!
    Payday 2 lab rats on death wish

I was going for the death wish achievement on payday 2, and I had one heist I postponed till the very end, Lab Rats. To call this horrifically bad is a massive understatement. Constantly spams enemies (especially headless titan bulldozers because it's a halloween heist) in small choke points makes you instantly die, this plus not much cover means you get shot really no matter where you are. I did this with either a Sociopath explosive build or a ultra meta LMG Stoic build (I forgot) and took me at least 20 hours worth of attempts with multiple groups of people and by myself. I quit the game for a week because of that heist, came back, and completed it. Next week I'd get the achievement I've been trying so hard to get. I also raged a bit on the goat sim heist (which is debatably worse) but not enough to quit. Safe House Nightmare I did rage quit on because that heist is also just enemy spam (literally just cloakers and titan dozers).

to this day I have never played that heist again
    Today's post is sponsored by Raid Shadow Legends, one of the biggest mobile role-playing games of 2019 and it's totally free! Currently almost 10 million users have joined Raid over the last six months, and it's one of the most impressive games in its class with detailed models, environments and smooth 60 frames per second animations! All the champions in the game can be customized with unique gear that changes your strategic buffs and abilities! The dungeon bosses have some ridiculous skills of their own and figuring out the perfect party and strategy to overtake them's a lot of fun! Currently with over 300,000 reviews, Raid has almost a perfect score on the Play Store! The community is growing fast and the highly anticipated new faction wars feature is now live, you might even find my squad out there in the arena! It's easier to start now than ever with rates program for new players you get a new daily login reward for the first 90 days that you play in the game! So what are you waiting for? Go to the post description, click on the special links and you'll get 50,000 silver and a free epic champion as part of the new player program to start your journey! Good luck and I'll see you there!
    Waggleton
    • Retribution!
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Wintreath Nation

Pages: [1]