Pages: [1]

[PASSED] Grammar Amendment Simplification Act

Arenado
  • Citizen
  • Some Random Guy
    Title
    1. This act shall be cited as the Grammar Amendment Simplification Act.

Legislation
    2. Errors of punctuation, capitalization, and formatting in statutory and procedural legislation may henceforth be amended at the discretion of the Speaker of the Underhusen and Chairperson of the Overhusen subject to the restrictions outlined below.
         2.1 Formatting is defined as precedent-defined layout of legislation, limited to numbering, section titling, and citations of other laws.
         2.2 Correction of these errors may not alter the plain meaning of the legislation.
         2.3 This power does not extend to Constitutional Law, which shall continue to only be amendable pursuant to Section VII of the Fundamental Laws.
         2.4 The Speaker of the Underhusen may only amend statutory and Underhusen procedural legislation.
         2.5 The Chairperson of the Overhusen may only amend statutory and Overhusen procedural legislation.
    3. The Speaker or Chairperson must report any proposed changes to both their respective chamber and Monarch and must ensure a minimum of 48 hours passes between making the report and making any such changes.
    4. Where either the Monarch or a member of the Storting should dispute the change, the Speaker or Chairperson may either explain their changes or present the amendments as proposed legislation to the appropriate chamber.
         4.1 Should there be no dispute for the minimum 48 hours, or should all disputation be withdrawn, the Speaker or Chairperson may make their amendments.
         4.2 All members of the Storting, as well as the Monarch, reserve the right to contest any changes made at any time within the session during which the legislation was considered, so long as the legislation is not an amendment to the procedural rules of another chamber.
         4.3 Should a dispute still exist after 48 hours the Speaker or Chairman must bring the amendment to a vote.

This is now at a vote, Skrifa may vote Aye, Nay or Abstain. @Chanku, @Elbbsas, @Katie, @Gabrielle
    « Last Edit: June 28, 2019, 08:08:08 AM by North »
    I Hope You Have A Nice Day :]
    Arenado
    • Some Random Guy
    • Comfortably Numb
    • Citizen
    • Pronouns
      Any/All or They/Them
      Familial House
      Eske
      Wintreath Nation
    Katie
  • Former Citizen
  • The Cheese
  • Aye
    Lady Katherine Ostergaard
    Countess of Osterfell, Matriarch of the Noble House of Ostergaard

Resumé
    Contact
    Discord: Katie#3933

Wintreath
      • Fmr. Thane of WA Affairs
      • Fmr. Jarl of Foreign Affairs
      • Fmr. Skrifa in the 29th-34th & 36th Sessions of the Underhusen
      • Fmr. Officer of Information in the 29th-34th Sessions of the Underhusen
      • Fmr. Speaker Pro Tempore in the 33rd Underhusen
      • Fmr. Thane of Integration
      • Fmr. Thane of Embassies

Other
    • Fmr. Councillor of World Assembly Affairs in Cynosure
    • Fmr. Outreach Officer of the Rejected Realms
    • Fmr. Kaetunet of the 1st House of Commons of the Holy Reich of Bunicken
    • Fmr. Grand Councillor in Grand Central
    • Fmr. Local Councillor in the South Pacific
    Katie
    • The Cheese
    • hoh
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      She/Her/Hers
      Familial House
      Ostergaard
      Wintreath Nation
    Elbbsas
  • Citizen
  • No problems here. Aye.
    Elbbsas
    • Citizen
    • Familial House
      Kaizer
      Wintreath Nation
    Chanku
  • Citizen
  • Nay

I've been considering how I wanted to vote in this, and I will be honest I haven't been that much of a fan of this bill for a variety of reasons. I dislike giving anyone the power to alter laws in any capacity without a review by the Storting. As such this was not likely to get my vote as an Aye due to that. I also am concerned about potential constitutional issues, but it could easily be argued that the edit was to fix clerical issues, therefore I don't necessarily view this as that strong.

My main issue involves 4.2 and 4.3. 4.2 is worded incredibly vague and is somewhat confusing, I assume it is referring to the bringing of amendment legislation to the Storting, which if I am reading it right, means that any member of the Storting (or the Monarch) can contest the changes at any time if made through legislation.  Additionally, I have two issues with 4.3. The first being that do the changes only get voted on by one chamber or by both? If it's only one chamber, that effectively means the other chamber gets no input as well, if it's both it might want to be clarified in the law. Additionally, this would mean that changes by the Overhusen Chairperson would only be voted on by the Overhusen, and be introduced in the Overhusen -- which would somewhat violate the non-introduction restriction of the Overhusen. I also worry that it gives the monarch undue influence in the chambers, as it gives them more control over legislation -- especially in the Underhusen, however it is limited to changes so I am less worried about it.
    See you later space cowboy.
    Old Signature

Current Positions in Wintreath
    Matriarch of House Kaizer
    Speaker of the 29th Underhusen
    Advisor to the Riksråd
    Positions I've held
    Riksrad(1st Jarl of Information, 3rd Jarl of Foreign Affairs, 2nd Jarl of Defense)
    Member of the WHR
    Speaker of the Underhusen (3rd)
    Speaker Pro Tempore of the Underhusen (1st)
    Underhusen Member (1st-3rd)
    Member of the 5th Overhusen
    Chairman of the 5th Overhusen
    6th Underhusen
    Speaker of the 6th Underhusen
    Mandate Holder for Jarl of Defense
    Member of the 8th Storting (Underhusen)
    Royalty of Wintreath
    Ambassador for the Department of Foreign Affairs.
    Underhusen Terms I've been a part of
    1st Underhusen
    2nd Underhusen
    3rd Underhusen
    6th Underhusen
    8th Underhusen
    Overhusen Terms I've been a part of
    5th Overhusen
    Families I've been a part of
    Kaizer - Matriarch (REFORMED)
    Kestar - Child of Wintermoot (REMOVED)
    Chanku
    Gabrielle
  • Former Citizen
  • I’m so sorry! I could’ve sworn I voted on this sooner, but I was wrong.

Aye!
    ~Gabriella Eydís Ostergaard~
    ~ Matriarch of House Ostergaard ~
    Résumé
    Wintreath

• Skrifa in the 34th Session of the Underhusen

Discord: Gabrielle#3670
    Gabrielle
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      She/Her/Hers
      Familial House
      Ostergaard
      Wintreath Nation
    Arenado
  • Citizen
  • Some Random Guy
  • And I shall vote nay. Chanku's reasoning swayed me though I do wish that had been brought up earlier. With that I declare that the Ayes have it, the Ayes have it.

Final Vote
    Ayes: 3
    Nays: 2
    Abstain: 0
    1 person likes this post: Katie
    I Hope You Have A Nice Day :]
    Arenado
    • Some Random Guy
    • Comfortably Numb
    • Citizen
    • Pronouns
      Any/All or They/Them