Pages: 1 ... 342 [343] 344 ... 589

Say What's On Your Mind

Laurentus
  • Regional Stability Squad
  • Count of Highever
  • In die donker ure skink net duiwels nog 'n dop, 
    Satan sit saam sy kinders en kyk hoe kom die son op. 
    • Count of Highever
    Laurentus
    • Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      The Noble House of Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    Wintermoot
  • The Greyscale Magi-Monk
  • Let's peer rank @Evelynx! xD

I didn't mean to imply that Google or any company was great or perfect...different people are suited for different types of workplaces, but I think the ideals of the book are inspirational. I believe in giving the average person the opportunity to jump in and make an impact for themselves and the company, data-driven decision making, and making the company the sort of place that talented, highly motivated people would like to work for. I think in their core, most people want to make their mark on the world...to make a difference somewhere, and the biggest mistake that most companies make is not allowing their employees to do so due to corporate/administrative hubris.

To be fair I hear Valve is a nice play to work at. The employee handbook is online somewhere...

EDIT:found it!
    Thanks for the link! I read through it last night and thoroughly enjoyed it...it gave me inspiration and ideas. :)

Google's (now former) head of HR wrote a book with a lot of detail about how HR at Google is run and some insights into how to run a company. I'd recommend it. I haven't read it myself, but I've read enough of Laszlo's other stuff that I think I have the basics: https://www.amazon.com/Work-Rules-Insights-Inside-Transform/dp/1455554790"
    I actually have this book on my Amazon wishlist...it was the initial book I wanted to read, but it wasn't in the Scribd library and How Google Works was...I hope to be able to pick up that one in the near-future too. :)

This right here is a lot more dodgy, in my opinion.

http://www.cnet.com/news/apple-google-offer-415-million-to-settle-poaching-lawsuit/
    I don't condone this behaviour, but I doubt its purpose was to keep wages low as the article says. There's a lot of competition between tech companies for the best talent, and the companies spend a lot of money to recruit and maintain them, which are investments that they lose if they go to another company. Also, when someone moves to a competitor, there's always the chance they'll bring what they know from their first company with them...non-disclosure agreements may prevent this from explicitly happening, but there's nothing that can stop it from implicitly happening. More than likely, this was done to protect the companies competitive advantages, I would think.

I went all the way to Cassadega to commune with the dead
    They said "You'd better look alive"
    Wintermoot
    • Weather: ❄️
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation
    Laurentus
  • Count of Highever
  • Setting up a soft non-compete policy is dodgy no matter which way you look at it. If a company wants to keep talent, then they should inspire their employees to stay through generating a good work environment, paying them what they're due and so forth.

The federal judge obviously had a reason for rejecting that first offer, and the US Department of justice were investigating them in 2009 already. And despite what the companies may say, I just don't trust them. At least 65 000 of their employees got screwed badly enough to launch a successful class action suit, and it's not often a judge steps in to reject a proposed settlement.

That being said, dig deep enough into any company's history, and you're bound to find some dirt.

EDIT: A complete recounting of events: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-Tech_Employee_Antitrust_Litigation
    « Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 05:45:15 AM by Laurentus »
    In die donker ure skink net duiwels nog 'n dop, 
    • Count of Highever
    Laurentus
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Wintreath Nation
    Govindia
  • Former Citizen
  • One of the best books I've read this year has been "How Google Works" by Eric Schmidt and Jonathan Rosenberg...it was so inspirational I actually purchased the hardback version when it was removed from Scribd. But what I liked so much about it was the section on workplace culture and some of the rules they followed at Google to create a workplace culture that attracted and empowered smart employees and promoted meritocracy. Why can't more business leaders do that? It seems so simple, yet so many places...so many businesses hire good people and then proceed to not give a shit about their input, instead following their own odd, clueless, and unproductive whims.

I just don't get it. >_>

Man, I've heard so many horror stories about working at Google. They do like.. peer ranking. That's where you take all your coworkers, rank them from 1 - x by order of competence, then submit it to your supervisors or you're fired. They are all innovative and stuff but I feel like that kind of thing is a little fucked.

Hi @Evelynx, I'm still around here.

I'm alive, and doing somewhat well, for those who care to find out how I'm doing.  I can be found in the #chronicles channel if people wish to talk to me and stay in touch.

Anyhow, a friend of mine, who is a Test Engineer at Google, had this to say:

"that's an interesting statement you heard

Microsoft used to have a stack rank but they got rid of it. Google explicitly does not have a stack rank and to my knowledge never has had one.

There is a peer review system. You are encouraged to seek peer feedback and also to give it. All feedback (giving and receiving) is optional, however.

Google's (now former) head of HR wrote a book with a lot of detail about how HR at Google is run and some insights into how to run a company. I'd recommend it. I haven't read it myself, but I've read enough of Laszlo's other stuff that I think I have the basics: https://www.amazon.com/Work-Rules-Insights-Inside-Transform/dp/1455554790"

TLDR Evelynx, the horror stories are just stories, not actual stuff, unless you actually know someone at Google who disagrees.

Yeah, my stories are from actual google employees as of 2 weeks ago. Google definitely does do stack ranking. It also depends heavily on where you work in Google.

http://www.25hoursaday.com/weblog/2013/11/11/StackRankingWhyAreAmazonFacebookAndYahooCopyingMicrosoftsPerformanceReviewSystem.aspx

I'm sure some people love it at Google, but some people really really don't.

Did you know them personally?  So far my friend works as a TE he hasn't seen stacked ranking where he works at. He would have known for sure.
    Democratic Republic of South Nivogal
    Citizenship Granted 24 Dec. 2013!

------------------------------------------------
    Other Areas of NS:
    00000 A World Power: 1st Sgt, A World Power Regional Defence Force
    Celtica: Associate Advisor
    The Kodiak Republic: Member, The Kodiak Republic General Assembly

Govindia
    • Jedi Master
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Auditore
      Wintreath Nation
    Wintermoot
  • Setting up a soft non-compete policy is dodgy no matter which way you look at it. If a company wants to keep talent, then they should inspire their employees to stay through generating a good work environment, paying them what they're due and so forth.

The federal judge obviously had a reason for rejecting that first offer, and the US Department of justice were investigating them in 2009 already. And despite what the companies may say, I just don't trust them. At least 65 000 of their employees got screwed badly enough to launch a successful class action suit, and it's not often a judge steps in to reject a proposed settlement.

That being said, dig deep enough into any company's history, and you're bound to find some dirt.
    As I said, I don't condone it, I just thought the article's conclusion that they did it to keep wages low was probably a bit narrow. What you say is true, but I suppose that's true about any organization or group of people...I wonder what the dirt is on Wintreath? =o =P

Wintermoot
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation
    Laurentus
  • Count of Highever
  • The article didn't really draw that conclusion on its own, but it did sensationalise an allegation made by the plaintiffs, somewhat.
    In die donker ure skink net duiwels nog 'n dop, 
    • Count of Highever
    Laurentus
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Wintreath Nation
    Lord Belmont
  • Former Citizen
  • Belmont Inc. CEO
  • hey guys im back! my internet was down for a week...anyhoo back to business as usual  :)
    Zobek: An unusual hiding place, for the Prince of Darkness. Don't you think?
    Gabriel: Zobek...
    Zobek: Yes, old friend. It is I.
    Gabriel: Where have you been, all this time?
    Zobek: Out there, amongst the living. And what of you? Why have you been hiding all this time... ... Gabriel?
    Gabriel: Don't you dare call me that! Eu sunt Dracul!
    Lord Belmont
    • Belmont Inc. CEO
    • I'm a mirror. If you're cool with me I'm cool with you.
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Wintreath Nation
    Wintermoot
  • Welcome back! We wondered in IRC where you'd gone off to. :P

Wintermoot
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation
    Chanku
  • Citizen
  • I've decided to try out some podcasts, normally I find them boring but I figured I might want to try it out. I've started with a few programming oriented podcasts atm though.
    See you later space cowboy.
    Old Signature

Current Positions in Wintreath
    Matriarch of House Kaizer
    Speaker of the 29th Underhusen
    Advisor to the Riksråd
    Positions I've held
    Riksrad(1st Jarl of Information, 3rd Jarl of Foreign Affairs, 2nd Jarl of Defense)
    Member of the WHR
    Speaker of the Underhusen (3rd)
    Speaker Pro Tempore of the Underhusen (1st)
    Underhusen Member (1st-3rd)
    Member of the 5th Overhusen
    Chairman of the 5th Overhusen
    6th Underhusen
    Speaker of the 6th Underhusen
    Mandate Holder for Jarl of Defense
    Member of the 8th Storting (Underhusen)
    Royalty of Wintreath
    Ambassador for the Department of Foreign Affairs.
    Underhusen Terms I've been a part of
    1st Underhusen
    2nd Underhusen
    3rd Underhusen
    6th Underhusen
    8th Underhusen
    Overhusen Terms I've been a part of
    5th Overhusen
    Families I've been a part of
    Kaizer - Matriarch (REFORMED)
    Kestar - Child of Wintermoot (REMOVED)
    Chanku
    NyghtOwl
  • Former Citizen
  • Nocturnus Cantankorous
  • So my friend zack and I are thinking about doing some YouTube let's play videos as our characters linda and jane. Two bored housewives that sound like the Jewish couple from princess bride. Good idea? Offensive? I'm not entirely sure.
    NyghtOwl
    • Nocturnus Cantankorous
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Wintreath Nation
    beautifulthing
  • Former Citizen
  • King of Wishful Thinking, RPGuild Layman, Recruiting Guild
  • I am thinking of you.....
    beautifulthing
    • King of Wishful Thinking, RPGuild Layman, Recruiting Guild
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Wintreath Nation
    Chanku
  • Citizen
  • A podcast  I found that I might have liked turns out to no longer have any episodes online, or at least not the episodes I want to see..
    Old Signature

Advisor to the Riksråd
    Positions I've held
    Riksrad(1st Jarl of Information, 3rd Jarl of Foreign Affairs, 2nd Jarl of Defense)
    Member of the WHR
    6th Underhusen
    Royalty of Wintreath
    1st Underhusen
    2nd Underhusen
    3rd Underhusen
    6th Underhusen
    8th Underhusen
    5th Overhusen
    Chanku
    Arenado
  • Citizen
  • Some Random Guy
  • So my friend zack and I are thinking about doing some YouTube let's play videos as our characters linda and jane. Two bored housewives that sound like the Jewish couple from princess bride. Good idea? Offensive? I'm not entirely sure.

Your friend Zach? Your not Francis York Morgan by any chance, are you?
    I Hope You Have A Nice Day :]
    Arenado
    • Some Random Guy
    • Comfortably Numb
    • Citizen
    • Pronouns
      Any/All or They/Them
      Familial House
      Eske
      Wintreath Nation
    Chanku
  • Citizen
  • I found a podcast I like! Programmer Throwdown. I like that it avoids the seemingly common trend in podcasts/programming podcasts where there are mainly interviews and the like. There is decent humor that works with me too. The episodes tend to drag near the end though. HOWEVER I can deal with the last 10 or 15 minutes dragging.
    Old Signature

Advisor to the Riksråd
    Positions I've held
    Member of the WHR
    6th Underhusen
    Royalty of Wintreath
    1st Underhusen
    2nd Underhusen
    3rd Underhusen
    6th Underhusen
    8th Underhusen
    5th Overhusen
    Chanku
    Wintermoot
  • First day of classes...always a busy day for IT. I believe that all the work I've put into writing scripts to identify and fix things like disabled/expired accounts and making sure students have online classes that they should has helped though. It hasn't been quite as hectic as in years past. :)
    1 person likes this post: Barnes

Wintermoot
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation