Orientation
      Michisexual <3
      Familial House
      Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    Arenado
  • Citizen
  • Some Random Guy
  • Damn bloody insomnia kicking in again. These blasted dreams. Fuck it, I'm asking for sleeping pills.
    I Hope You Have A Nice Day :]
    Arenado
    • Some Random Guy
    • Comfortably Numb
    • Citizen
    • Pronouns
      Any/All or They/Them
      Familial House
      Eske
      Wintreath Nation
    Weissreich
  • Paragons
  • Duke of Wintreath
  • Gotta be careful with the sleeping pills, especially when trying to combat insomnia. A friend of mine was on prescribed 'safe' medication and ended up attempting suicide twice before finally going into our local hospital and telling them he wasn't mentally fit to be alone whilst on the pills. They took him off but it's fucked him up a bit since.

Best advice I ever received in relation to dealing with sleeplessness is setting alarms in the morning and getting up when they go off. Might seem like a pretty dumb thing to say, but it effectively hard resets your circadian rhythms if you get up at the same time every day. It might take a few weeks for things to settle back into a normal routine, but definitely worth it. Also, see if you can get your hands on some melatonin supplements (naturally occurring hormone in the human body), as that really helps regulating sleep patterns.

@North.
    Duke Klause Edíl-Astos Meindhert
    Archivist Academic

"Not all those who wander are lost."
    Weissreich
    • Duke of Wintreath
    • Paragons
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Meindhert
      Wintreath Nation
    Arenado
  • Citizen
  • Some Random Guy
  • At this point I just need some sleep. It's tough to patrol and be this tired.

Though I appreciate the concern Weiss :]
    I Hope You Have A Nice Day :]
    Arenado
    • Some Random Guy
    • Comfortably Numb
    • Citizen
    • Pronouns
      Any/All or They/Them
      Familial House
      Eske
      Wintreath Nation
    Drexyl Nox
  • Citizen
  • Official Unofficial Wintreath Mascot
  • I give up, I'm done
    Drexyl Nox
    • Official Unofficial Wintreath Mascot
    • Axolotl Friend
    • Citizen
    • Pronouns
      She/Her/Hers
      Wintreath Nation
    Weissreich
  • Paragons
  • Duke of Wintreath
  • Never such a thing as done.
    Duke Klause Edíl-Astos Meindhert
    Archivist Academic

"Not all those who wander are lost."
    Weissreich
    • Duke of Wintreath
    • Paragons
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Meindhert
      Wintreath Nation
    Wintermoot
  • Regional Stability Squad
  • The Greyscale Magi-Monk
  • I often wonder how such clueless people often wind up in charge of things...I really do...>_>

I went all the way to Cassadega to commune with the dead
    They said "You'd better look alive"
    Wintermoot
    • Weather: ❄️
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation
    Laurentus
  • Count of Highever
  • Oodles and oodles of confidence and boundless, ruthless ambition. Since they overestimate their abilities, and since people are more likely to listen to someone who's sure of himself than someone who sounds unsure, well... I'm sure you can see what happens.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DunningKruger_effect

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."
    « Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 10:05:11 PM by Laurentus »
    In die donker ure skink net duiwels nog 'n dop, 
    Satan sit saam sy kinders en kyk hoe kom die son op. 
    • Count of Highever
    Laurentus
    • Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      The Noble House of Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    Wintermoot
  • One of the best books I've read this year has been "How Google Works" by Eric Schmidt and Jonathan Rosenberg...it was so inspirational I actually purchased the hardback version when it was removed from Scribd. But what I liked so much about it was the section on workplace culture and some of the rules they followed at Google to create a workplace culture that attracted and empowered smart employees and promoted meritocracy. Why can't more business leaders do that? It seems so simple, yet so many places...so many businesses hire good people and then proceed to not give a shit about their input, instead following their own odd, clueless, and unproductive whims.

I just don't get it. >_>

Wintermoot
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation
    Laurentus
  • Count of Highever
  • Do those businesses still make money? If yes, then they reach the only goal they care about.

Forgive me, I'm extra cynical this week.
    In die donker ure skink net duiwels nog 'n dop, 
    Satan sit saam sy kinders en kyk hoe kom die son op. 
    • Count of Highever
    Laurentus
    • Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      The Noble House of Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    Wintermoot
  • If it's anything like the place I work, no...they're losing money. =/

Wintermoot
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation
    Evelynx
  • Former Citizen
  • Queen of Love and Beauty
  • One of the best books I've read this year has been "How Google Works" by Eric Schmidt and Jonathan Rosenberg...it was so inspirational I actually purchased the hardback version when it was removed from Scribd. But what I liked so much about it was the section on workplace culture and some of the rules they followed at Google to create a workplace culture that attracted and empowered smart employees and promoted meritocracy. Why can't more business leaders do that? It seems so simple, yet so many places...so many businesses hire good people and then proceed to not give a shit about their input, instead following their own odd, clueless, and unproductive whims.

I just don't get it. >_>

Man, I've heard so many horror stories about working at Google. They do like.. peer ranking. That's where you take all your coworkers, rank them from 1 - x by order of competence, then submit it to your supervisors or you're fired. They are all innovative and stuff but I feel like that kind of thing is a little fucked.
    Evelynx
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      She/Her/Hers
      Wintreath Nation
    Govindia
  • Former Citizen

I just don't get it. >_>

Man, I've heard so many horror stories about working at Google. They do like.. peer ranking. That's where you take all your coworkers, rank them from 1 - x by order of competence, then submit it to your supervisors or you're fired. They are all innovative and stuff but I feel like that kind of thing is a little fucked.

Hi @Evelynx, I'm still around here.

I'm alive, and doing somewhat well, for those who care to find out how I'm doing.  I can be found in the #chronicles channel if people wish to talk to me and stay in touch.

Anyhow, a friend of mine, who is a Test Engineer at Google, had this to say:

"that's an interesting statement you heard

Microsoft used to have a stack rank but they got rid of it. Google explicitly does not have a stack rank and to my knowledge never has had one.

There is a peer review system. You are encouraged to seek peer feedback and also to give it. All feedback (giving and receiving) is optional, however.

Google's (now former) head of HR wrote a book with a lot of detail about how HR at Google is run and some insights into how to run a company. I'd recommend it. I haven't read it myself, but I've read enough of Laszlo's other stuff that I think I have the basics: https://www.amazon.com/Work-Rules-Insights-Inside-Transform/dp/1455554790"

TLDR Evelynx, the horror stories are just stories, not actual stuff, unless you actually know someone at Google who disagrees.
    Democratic Republic of South Nivogal
    Citizenship Granted 24 Dec. 2013!

------------------------------------------------
    Other Areas of NS:
    00000 A World Power: 1st Sgt, A World Power Regional Defence Force
    Celtica: Associate Advisor
    The Kodiak Republic: Member, The Kodiak Republic General Assembly

Govindia
    • Jedi Master
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Auditore
      Wintreath Nation
    Chanku
  • Citizen
  • To be fair I hear Valve is a nice play to work at. The employee handbook is online somewhere...

EDIT:found it!
    1 person likes this post: Wintermoot
    « Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 11:00:31 AM by Chanku »
    See you later space cowboy.
    Old Signature

Current Positions in Wintreath
    Matriarch of House Kaizer
    Speaker of the 29th Underhusen
    Advisor to the Riksråd
    Positions I've held
    Riksrad(1st Jarl of Information, 3rd Jarl of Foreign Affairs, 2nd Jarl of Defense)
    Member of the WHR
    Speaker of the Underhusen (3rd)
    Speaker Pro Tempore of the Underhusen (1st)
    Underhusen Member (1st-3rd)
    Member of the 5th Overhusen
    Chairman of the 5th Overhusen
    6th Underhusen
    Speaker of the 6th Underhusen
    Mandate Holder for Jarl of Defense
    Member of the 8th Storting (Underhusen)
    Royalty of Wintreath
    Ambassador for the Department of Foreign Affairs.
    Underhusen Terms I've been a part of
    1st Underhusen
    2nd Underhusen
    3rd Underhusen
    6th Underhusen
    8th Underhusen
    Overhusen Terms I've been a part of
    5th Overhusen
    Families I've been a part of
    Kaizer - Matriarch (REFORMED)
    Kestar - Child of Wintermoot (REMOVED)
    Chanku
    Evelynx
  • Former Citizen

I just don't get it. >_>

Hi @Evelynx, I'm still around here.

I'm alive, and doing somewhat well, for those who care to find out how I'm doing.  I can be found in the #chronicles channel if people wish to talk to me and stay in touch.

Anyhow, a friend of mine, who is a Test Engineer at Google, had this to say:

"that's an interesting statement you heard

Microsoft used to have a stack rank but they got rid of it. Google explicitly does not have a stack rank and to my knowledge never has had one.

There is a peer review system. You are encouraged to seek peer feedback and also to give it. All feedback (giving and receiving) is optional, however.

Google's (now former) head of HR wrote a book with a lot of detail about how HR at Google is run and some insights into how to run a company. I'd recommend it. I haven't read it myself, but I've read enough of Laszlo's other stuff that I think I have the basics: https://www.amazon.com/Work-Rules-Insights-Inside-Transform/dp/1455554790"

TLDR Evelynx, the horror stories are just stories, not actual stuff, unless you actually know someone at Google who disagrees.

Yeah, my stories are from actual google employees as of 2 weeks ago. Google definitely does do stack ranking. It also depends heavily on where you work in Google.

http://www.25hoursaday.com/weblog/2013/11/11/StackRankingWhyAreAmazonFacebookAndYahooCopyingMicrosoftsPerformanceReviewSystem.aspx

I'm sure some people love it at Google, but some people really really don't.
    « Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 09:04:28 PM by Evelynx »
    Evelynx
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      She/Her/Hers
      Wintreath Nation

Pages: 1 ... 341 [342] 343 ... 589