Poll

What is the worst Dragon Age game that has been released so far?

Dragon Age II
Dragon Age: Inquisition

Pages: [1]

Worst Dragon Age game in your opinion?

Justinian Ezkantion
  • Former Citizen
  • (Not) Not the Fourth King of Ainur
  • So I've been thinking about the Dragon Age series lately, and I've been starting to wander about which Dragon Age game I like the least. Origins is obviously the best, and nobody can ever dispute that, but of the two other games, what was the worse one? Both have been praised and criticized, and I feel both are inferior to the original game, but for different reasons. I personally prefer II to Inquisition because I feel the third game betrayed the original's darker theme and presentation in favor of a lighter and softer setting in which we barely see any of the real problems that face the Dragon Age universe. While there are plenty of villains in the game, almost all of them are of the supernatural variety. There is no mortal evil, no Teyrn Loghain in Inquisition (well, metaphorically anyway). The main evil is Corypheus and his demon army, and that simply didn't satisfy me. You were forced into this paragon role as the Inquisitor that I feel betrayed the roleplaying of the series even more than the series' stupid switch to the ME dialogue wheel in II. At least Hawke could make real decisions about what side he wanted to take. I'm sure many disagree with me, though, and I'd like to know your thoughts on the matter.
    Justinian Ezkantion
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Wintreath Nation
    Doc
  • Citizen
  • I never understood any of the hate for 2. As far as I was concerned it was an excellent game hated largely because one group of people, who are admittedly a large part of the demographic, fetishize difficulty to an absurd extent and they scaled it back, while another group of people think any game where you aren't saving the world isn't 'epic' enough.

With Inquisition though, I just have no desire to replay it. I didn't really care about any of the choices, didn't care about most of the characters...really I was into it mostly because I wanted to theorycraft about the history of the setting and it provided oceans of information well-suited to doing so.
    Or maybe it's just because OH GOD I CAN'T GO BACK TO THE FUCKING HINTERLANDS AGAIN
    Proud Burner
    Doc
    • it's karma, man
    • Citizen
    • Wintreath Nation
    Justinian Ezkantion
  • Former Citizen
  • I never understood any of the hate for 2. As far as I was concerned it was an excellent game hated largely because one group of people, who are admittedly a large part of the demographic, fetishize difficulty to an absurd extent and they scaled it back, while another group of people think any game where you aren't saving the world isn't 'epic' enough.

With Inquisition though, I just have no desire to replay it. I didn't really care about any of the choices, didn't care about most of the characters...really I was into it mostly because I wanted to theorycraft about the history of the setting and it provided oceans of information well-suited to doing so.
    Or maybe it's just because OH GOD I CAN'T GO BACK TO THE FUCKING HINTERLANDS AGAIN
    2's hate comes from a complaint that seems kind of silly now that Inquisition is out. It was a complete departure from the more grounded Origins in favor of the "varric's exaggerated storybook" style. People fucking hated it, and they hated the dialogue wheel, and they hated that Anders was different now, and they hated the fact you could only play a human, etc. They saw 2 as being a "sellout" title, much like how some fans thought Mass Effect 2 was casualized compared to the first game. But while just about everyone could agree ME2's gunplay was superior to 1 in every way and EA made some positive changes to the franchise, old RPG fans considered DA2's button mashing to be a stab in the back from one of the oldest and greatest RPG developers of all time. These are the guys that made Neverwinter Nights, Baldur's Gate, and Kotor. And now that they finally had their own properties that weren't Star Wars or D&D settings, they were getting "casualized" by EA for mass market appeal. The fact that some of the senior staff at BioWare left the company due to the changes EA was pressuring them to make to Dragon Age certainly didn't help. Now, though, when you look at 2 it really doesn't seem that bad. Inquisition is a much bigger betrayal of the  setting than 2 ever was. With its MMO quests and philosophy of "quantity over quality" it really is a chore to play through the first time, though in subsequent runs you kind of start to get a hang of what quests are worth doing and what aren't, and on PC mods can quickly stomp out any "power" restrictions. Nevertheless Trespasser was a damn good DLC, and I definitely want to see if Edmonton can redeem themselves with Dragon Age IV. Tevinter has always been somewhere I wanted to see, and with all its machavellian politics and brutal slavery, perhaps it will be the welcomed turned back into a Darker and Edgier setting we've all been waiting for...and for the love of god EA just ditch the fucking Frostbite Engine. It's absolute horseshit for RPGs.
    Justinian Ezkantion
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Wintreath Nation
    Red Mones
  • Citizen
  • Wintreath's Official Money Launderer
  • What's...Dragon Age?
    Red Mones
    • Wintreath's Official Money Launderer
    • Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Burdock
      Wintreath Nation
    Wintermoot
  • Regional Stability Squad
  • The Greyscale Magi-Monk
  • What's...Dragon Age?
    You...did not just ask that. v_v

I haven't played Dragon Age II, but I actually like Inquisition. I'll acknowledge that it's a different feel from Origins, but I thought it was good in its own way...an epic quest to build your forces and save the world, and I actually liked that it really feels like you're building something from the ground up, trying to convince the many factions around to join up with you. And I actually liked the MMO elements...I don't mind MMO-style quests, and at the end of the day almost all of them are optional for those who don't want to do them.

I went all the way to Cassadega to commune with the dead
    They said "You'd better look alive"
    Wintermoot
    • The Greyscale Magi-Monk
    • Weather: ❄️
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation
    Justinian Ezkantion
  • Former Citizen
  • What's...Dragon Age?
    You...did not just ask that. v_v

I haven't played Dragon Age II, but I actually like Inquisition. I'll acknowledge that it's a different feel from Origins, but I thought it was good in its own way...an epic quest to build your forces and save the world, and I actually liked that it really feels like you're building something from the ground up, trying to convince the many factions around to join up with you. And I actually liked the MMO elements...I don't mind MMO-style quests, and at the end of the day almost all of them are optional for those who don't want to do them.
    I dislike it more than 2. Like I said the setting just betrays the series in too many ways. Lore contradictions, locking the actual ending behind paid DLC, etc. You can definitely tell no one working on Inquisition was in the same team as the people who worked on Origins. It's not a shit game by any means. Edmonton made sure it was made at a reasonable pace and built to a high standard. There weren't any glitches I saw and the environments were beautiful. The characters...well that was a little split. Some looked great. Others...well...
    tbh I think it was a conscious decision, not an accident, but she still looks like an inbred freak

A lot of design decisions I disagreed with. A lot of deeply rooted problems with it. Because of the power system, exploring side quests was discouraged because you weren't sure if the investment was worth the outcome. It had the war table missions work like a fucking mobile game. Roleplaying was cut down by the need to force your character into being the Inquisitor, just like how Hawke was forced into a particular role in 2. The character creator was shit imo, but that's mostly the Frostbite Engine's fault. I feel skyhold wasn't as personal as the old Warden camp back in Origins or the character hideouts in 2. I struggled to connect with the companions as a result. I really hope it was just a fluke and the series can go back to its roots when it returns to Tevinter. Inquisition just reminds me too much of everything I hated about gaming circa 2014. The whole "return to hardcore gaming" trend hadn't quite hit full throttle yet and casualization was still a bit corrupting influence on everything. Of course, given what I've heard about BioWare's inner workings, I'm not sure if we'll ever have those glory days back. I'm keeping a close eye on Anthem. It will make or break that company in my eyes. If it turns out to be a piece of shit, I'm giving up on BioWare's Canadian divisions (still hoping Austin will make Kotor 3, no matter how slim a possibility that is now) and I'll move on to Obsidian. Fingers crossed, though, fingers crossed...
    Justinian Ezkantion
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Wintreath Nation
    Aethelia
  • Former Citizen
  • Ethereal Dream
  • What's...Dragon Age?

Definitely not a series. There is only one Dragon Age game, with no expansions or sequels. Just like The Matrix.
    Aethelia
    • Ethereal Dream
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      She/Her/Hers
      Familial House
      No
      Wintreath Nation
    Justinian Ezkantion
  • Former Citizen
  • What's...Dragon Age?

Definitely not a series. There is only one Dragon Age game, with no expansions or sequels. Just like The Matrix.
    Hey, Awakening was alright. Still, there is only one true Dragon Age game, you're quite right about that.
    Justinian Ezkantion
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Wintreath Nation
    Doc
  • Citizen
  • you take that back sir
    merrill is the only waifu i will ever have and i will fight your ass to the death for her
    Proud Burner
    Doc
    • it's karma, man
    • Citizen
    • Wintreath Nation
    Michi
  • Level 167 Caticorn God of Destruction
  • My only complaints with 2 were that it didn't really build much from the first game (actually, it went a completely different direction)...and that there was so much rehashing of environments.  One cave in particular had, if I recall right, over 7+ visits in either specific parts or the entire thing.  If this was supposed to be the same place everytime, then that was alright...but this was supposed to be a completely different location every single time.

That was my biggest gripe.  Some enemy infested areas had variety, while a lot of them didn't...and this was mainly prevalent in sidequests (though I recall some main-quest areas being identical to each other).

Other than that, I thought gameplay-wise that it was an improvement to 1...mainly in the battle mechanics.  Compared to what a chore it felt like to use a mage in DA:O, I actually really enjoyed using them in DAII.
    -----------------------

Dragon Age Inquisition had a decent start, and some good ideas.  I like the whole "wrong place, right time." type of scenario like Skyrim, where your character just happened to be there when action happened, and boom! They end up being the person meant to save the world.  DAI didn't disappoint me in that area.

Even the more open areas caught my interest, as did the more refined character creator (still one of my favorites).  Areas were much more beautiful to go through, and even the main base of operations (not the beginning area) was beautiful to look at.

The War Table bothered me.  Having to wait in real-time as opposed to game time for insignificant side quests that didn't do much was more of an annoyance than anything.  When it was just a couple of minutes, sure...that was alright.  But the further along you were, the longer those times cranked up to the hours mark or even longer than that (if I recall, there was some that hit the 24 hour range).

To me, that bothers me on multiple fronts: It's either forcing you to endure pushing hours into the game just finish that irrelevant quest for a paltry reward...or it's forcing you to remember to even come back to the game after shutting it off for that period of time for the same result.  In reality, the War Table didn't need such a restriction, it was highly unnecessary.  The game even made you grind in areas to gather a certain amount of (the name escapes me right now) to even progress further in the game.  At first, sure...I guess...but then it begins to feel like a chore.

The battle mechanics also seemed like a slight step down in favor of making it a mixture of both 1 and 2's style.  2's was perfectly fine...there was no need to try to tweak it further.  Likewise, even the leveling system felt like a step down as opposed to the 2nd game's mechanics.

And some areas were just downright boring.  Not to mention, for all of the lore that the first game gave, DAI still didn't expand on it very much (we still have yet to visit the often mentioned Tevinter Imperium in the games).  It felt like a semi rushed project to get out there so that it could make it on the PS4's launch list.  The main villain was boring, some of the side characters were forgettable, and some were just not as great as they made themselves to be.  The one that especially comes to mind was Vivienne.  She's supposed to be the First Enchanter and advisor to the empress of Orlais...but I recall her being as strong as Solas and Dorian.

Overall, it was just very "meh" to me.  It wasn't a terrible game, but it wasn't fantastic like the first one.  It improved on some aspects of the 2nd game (I preferred the dialogue setup in this one), but then it went the opposite route in other areas (battle mechanics, the god awful War Table in its entirety).
    My Wintreath Resumé
    Michi
    • Level 167 Caticorn God of Destruction
    • Wintreath's Official Video Game Enthusiast
    • Pronouns
      Any except it/its
      Orientation
      Michisexual <3
      Familial House
      Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    Justinian Ezkantion
  • Former Citizen
  • you take that back sir
    merrill is the only waifu i will ever have and i will fight your ass to the death for her
    Merrill was in Origins, dummy. And I will agree she is true waifu material, though I can't for the life of me understand why BioWare decided the medieval elf mage needed nail polish all of a sudden but whatever you can mod in a new constume. Aveline is also acceptable. Isabela lovers, however, are all degenerate scum that need to be thrown into the deep roads.
    Justinian Ezkantion
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Wintreath Nation
    Doc
  • Citizen
  • Her characterization was also completely different.
    As far as I'm concerned, that Merrill was possessed by Hubris (even though that shouldn't make sense since that timeline would be utterly illogical) and that's why she's so different.

God I hope she doesn't side with [Incredibly Spoilery Character] in DA4. That would break my heart.
    Proud Burner
    Doc
    • it's karma, man
    • Citizen
    • Wintreath Nation
    Justinian Ezkantion
  • Former Citizen
  • Her characterization was also completely different.
    As far as I'm concerned, that Merrill was possessed by Hubris (even though that shouldn't make sense since that timeline would be utterly illogical) and that's why she's so different.

God I hope she doesn't side with [Incredibly Spoilery Character] in DA4. That would break my heart.
    It probably depends on if Hawke is alive and romanced her.
    As for her characterization, I'm not sure. She was barely in the game, and had a completely different VA to boot.
    Justinian Ezkantion
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Wintreath Nation

Pages: [1]