Pages: [1] 2

Gayming

NyghtOwl
  • Former Citizen
  • Nocturnus Cantankorous
  •  So I guess this is as good a spot as any to discuss the relationship between the queer community and the gaming get industry. Things like representation, our relationship to the gaming community, which characters you think are hot. Idk.
     I'll open up with a question? Who is your favorite queer character? Mine is probably Flea from Chrono Trigger. It's one of the first times I remember seeing a Trans character in any game and they weren't just a cheap joke.
     So how about you?
    1 person likes this post: Aethelia
    NyghtOwl
    • Nocturnus Cantankorous
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Wintreath Nation
    Wintermoot
  • Regional Stability Squad
  • The Greyscale Magi-Monk
  • I don't really have a favourite queer character per say, but I like that as I guy I can marry Farkas in Skyrim...now there's one sexy god of a man/werewolf. ^-^

I went all the way to Cassadega to commune with the dead
    They said "You'd better look alive"
    Wintermoot
    • Weather: ❄️
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation
    Arenado
  • Citizen
  • Some Random Guy
  • Let's see, I like Zevran from Dragon Age. The mix of vulnerability and cocksure attitude is nice, along with his voice and face :]

Fallout 4 is also a nice touch, I like MacCready and Preston (though I prefer MacCready).

Honestly, Gay options are relatively new, you must admit.
    I Hope You Have A Nice Day :]
    Arenado
    • Some Random Guy
    • Comfortably Numb
    • Citizen
    • Pronouns
      Any/All or They/Them
      Familial House
      Eske
      Wintreath Nation
    Wintermoot
  • Ooo...I'd forgotten about Zevran. A shame there isn't an option for a more...obscene version of that game. :P

Wintermoot
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation
    Michi
  • Level 167 Caticorn God of Destruction

• Honestly, Gay options are relatively new, you must admit.

New-ish.

In Star Ocean 2 (back in 1999), whichever character you chose (Claude or Rena), it was possible to build up your romance level and date one of your team members of the same sex.

In the Sims series since 1, you could have relationships with the same sex if you wanted to.  They even allowed marriage to where they would both dress in groom/bride outfits (depending on their sex) when the time for marriage came.

Likewise, the Fable series has always allowed the player to choose the person they wanted to be in a relationship with, regardless of their sexuality.  They're actually one of the first I recall that even introduced STDs into the mix if you didn't wear a condom when you went to have sex.

In the game Bully, the main character had a plethora of options to choose from when it came to the women, but there were options available for males to make out with if you wanted (though actual relationships were a different story).  Down the road you could earn a skill that would make it so you didn't have to buy the women anything if you wanted to make out with them...however, it didn't apply to the guys (you'd always have to buy them something).

It's just in newer games it's become more...prominent.  Though I feel like it's also become a bit constricting as well.  Whereas in games like The Sims and Fable to where options are vast and practically endless for anyone (the sexuality of most NPCs in Fable since II change with each new game, and practically anyone can be swayed for either sex in the Sims, you can marry practically anyone in Skyrim and Dragon's Dogma)...games like Bully, Dragon Age, Mass Effect, and Fallout are restricted to list.   Gay options exist, but the list is just a bit slimmer.
    « Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 02:31:52 AM by Pengu »
    My Wintreath Resumé
    Michi
    • Wintreath's Official Video Game Enthusiast
    • Pronouns
      Any except it/its
      Orientation
      Michisexual <3
      Familial House
      Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    Michi
  • Also, for anyone wanting a bit of LGBT gaming history, while I don't normally use Wiki that often, they do have a pretty up to date list of LGBT+ related material when it comes to games:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_characters_in_video_games
    My Wintreath Resumé
    Michi
    • Wintreath's Official Video Game Enthusiast
    • Pronouns
      Any except it/its
      Orientation
      Michisexual <3
      Familial House
      Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    Wintermoot
  • I think he meant that it's only recently become mainstream and mostly non-controversial to have gay options. :P

I think having specific characters be gay/bi/straight options is valid for series like Fallout and Dragon Age where the games, including character relations, are more scripted than games like Skyrim which are a bit more open box. Then again, I played a female Inquisitor just to get with Cullen, so...:P

Wintermoot
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation
    NyghtOwl
  • Former Citizen
  • Nocturnus Cantankorous
  • Oh Cullen...He's dreamy lol. But Bioware has been on the rainbow train since all the way back to Jade Empire where you could have a same sex romance for either gender. I think it was one of the firs big games to do so. I remember it ruffled quite a few feathers.
    NyghtOwl
    • Nocturnus Cantankorous
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Wintreath Nation
    Gattoartico
  • Former Citizen
  • Idk tbh
  • I have always thought Roxas from Kingdom Hearts was hot...

The games Fallen London and Sunless Sea let you go with either gender regardless of the gender of your character. A mechanic I hope Failbetter decides to keep in Sunless Skies.
    End of Time

I remember there in the dawn,
    When the suns rose and rose,
    That never could I know,
    A sight more grand than this.

Now I sit here in the dusk,
    While the suns die and die,
    That never will I see a sight more sad,
    Or a sight more beautiful.
    Gattoartico
    • Idk tbh
    • Never did we fear the sun, for we were the heathen kings of old.
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Wintreath Nation
    NyghtOwl
  • Former Citizen
  • Nocturnus Cantankorous

The games Fallen London and Sunless Sea let you go with either gender regardless of the gender of your character. A mechanic I hope Failbetter decides to keep in Sunless Skies.

Don't get too mad, but, I've never played the kingdom Hearts series. I just couldn't get into em. That and they bastardized quite a few final fantasy characters I liked.
    NyghtOwl
    • Nocturnus Cantankorous
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Wintreath Nation
    Gattoartico
  • Former Citizen
  • Idk tbh

Don't get too mad, but, I've never played the kingdom Hearts series. I just couldn't get into em. That and they bastardized quite a few final fantasy characters I liked.

'Sall right, only ever played one Kingdom Hearts game myself

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    End of Time

I remember there in the dawn,
    When the suns rose and rose,
    That never could I know,
    A sight more grand than this.

Now I sit here in the dusk,
    While the suns die and die,
    That never will I see a sight more sad,
    Or a sight more beautiful.
    Gattoartico
    • Idk tbh
    • Never did we fear the sun, for we were the heathen kings of old.
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Wintreath Nation
    NyghtOwl
  • Former Citizen
  • Nocturnus Cantankorous
  • So I'm quite looking forward to seeing if Bio ware keeps up its trend of Queen inclusion in Mass Effect Andromeda. I was reading an article the other day where they said the crew relationships are a big part of the game and more complex than previous installments.
    NyghtOwl
    • Nocturnus Cantankorous
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Wintreath Nation
    NyghtOwl
  • Former Citizen
  • Nocturnus Cantankorous
  • So today I was reading an article about how Riot games is planning on adding an LGBT character to its roster. They've said they don't know when and don't know how, but that it will happen at some point. Designers say they want it to be a part of the character and for it to arise organically. What I find funny is that they specifically said they don't want to tell the design team, "Hey, next champ needs to be a lesbian!"

Does it seem to anyone else that the default representation of the LGBT community in video games is "hot lesbian?" Bio ware certainly bucks this trend but a lot of the time I feel like when companies add LGBT characters they are still operating under the, what will a straight white guy be okay or approve of standpoint. It bothers me. Thoughts?
    NyghtOwl
    • Nocturnus Cantankorous
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Wintreath Nation
    Idolian
  • Former Citizen
  • I don't really play RPG video games; I prefer table top. That being said, Tracer from Overwatch is an excellent character, and although she could be considered a stereotype of a 'hot lesbian', I don't think that was Blizzard's goal.
    Idolian
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      She/Her/Hers
      Wintreath Nation
    NyghtOwl
  • Former Citizen
  • Nocturnus Cantankorous
  • I don't really play RPG video games; I prefer table top. That being said, Tracer from Overwatch is an excellent character, and although she could be considered a stereotype of a 'hot lesbian', I don't think that was Blizzard's goal.

I'm not sure I agree. They definitely went for one of the girls with the most sex appeal among their ranks. I think they knew that it'd be an easy sell for it to be Tracer because straight guys already fantasize about her and making her a lesion won't stop that at all. It seems like they picked a character that would still attract the straight male gaze one way or the other.
    NyghtOwl
    • Nocturnus Cantankorous
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Wintreath Nation

Pages: [1] 2