Pages: [1]

Resignation and Indefinite LOA

Ashton Mercer
  • Former Citizen
  • icy hot
  • I have decided that I am going to rapidly reduce my activity in Wintreath and NS in general starting immediately. This may sound crass and careless, but my real life has become not only more busy than it used to, but more fulfilling as well, and I find myself really unable to think of a good reason to work to maintain my online presence. TL;DR: The way my life is going, I simply do not see myself spending loads of time here, if any at all, in the future.

I don't know if this is the right place to do this, but I hereby resign as Underhusen. Sorry if I caused any inconvenience or disappointments. Leadership of my Super RP can be left to whoever is interested.

I wish you all well. You are all amazing and wonderful people, but it is time for me to go.

(And, to any Ainurian reading this, yes I do mean it this time.)
    3 people like this post: Laurentus, Hydra, Caddy
    Ashton Mercer
    • icy hot
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Wintreath Nation
    Wintermoot
  • Regional Stability Squad
  • The Greyscale Magi-Monk
  • Wow, this is really sudden. =/

I think that most people can maintain at least some online presence even when they become busy in real life...even if it's just a post or two a day. The fact that you haven't been able to think of a good reason to maintain a presence here leads me to think that you haven't found the region to be fulfilling, and for that I apologize. For what it's worth, I don't think the region has been as engaging as it could be as of late, and ultimately that comes down to me as leader.

I hope that you remain in some capacity, or return in the future, but ultimately it's your decision, and either way I wish you the best. Be well, Ashton.
    5 people like this post: Laurentus, Hydra, taulover, BraveSirRobin, Caddy

I went all the way to Cassadega to commune with the dead
    They said "You'd better look alive"
    Wintermoot
    • Weather: ❄️
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation
    Laurentus
  • Count of Highever
  • But now we'll have no Egyptians in our new RP! :o
    3 people like this post: taulover, Ashton Mercer, BraveSirRobin
    In die donker ure skink net duiwels nog 'n dop, 
    Satan sit saam sy kinders en kyk hoe kom die son op. 
    • Count of Highever
    Laurentus
    • Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      The Noble House of Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    Ashton Mercer
  • Former Citizen
  • icy hot
  • Wow, this is really sudden. =/

I think that most people can maintain at least some online presence even when they become busy in real life...even if it's just a post or two a day. The fact that you haven't been able to think of a good reason to maintain a presence here leads me to think that you haven't found the region to be fulfilling, and for that I apologize. For what it's worth, I don't think the region has been as engaging as it could be as of late, and ultimately that comes down to me as leader.

I hope that you remain in some capacity, or return in the future, but ultimately it's your decision, and either way I wish you the best. Be well, Ashton.
    Its not at all your fault or even the fault of the region, although perhaps the lull in activity spurred this thought. I believe I've said this before, but I'll reaffirm it: I simply do not know of a region where there is a better admin leadership or a more engaged community. All forums have their slump seasons, so it would be pretty dumb to take my departure as a sign of the end times.

The truth is, it's my problem. I basically am struggling with an addiction to NS. The way I see it (again, this sounds heartless when considering the community but it's my feelings), the RP, Nationstates, the endless chatting and the shitposting, it's very much enjoyable. However, it is all standing in my way of enjoying and exploiting real life to the absolute maximum. I feel like there's simply no point to me being here. From a productivity standpoint, from a creativity standpoint, even from a social standpoint when considering my RL friends, it's all doing little but holding me back.

This isn't a new feeling or reaction either, so please don't be upset or insulted. I've tried to leave NS in general at least twice now in the past four and a half years (yes I've been playing for about that long), and once I was successful in doing so for nearly four months. Over the summer I came back and I came back hard, eventually culminating in my joining Wintreath. All was "well" until I realized over the weekend that I simply couldn't afford to continue in the community in the same way that I have been because of my work, I asked myself a simple question:

"Well, what are you doing there, then? What's the concern?"

When I couldn't answer the question in a satisfactory way even after some introspection, I knew it was time for me to leave. Hopefully this is a better explanation than my first hastily written post. I don't expect you to necessarily be happy with my decision as it is rather selfish and very sudden, but I at least want you to understand it. This action is a reflection on me and me alone, not at all on any of you.

I'll try and stick around for this week to resolve the loose ends around Super and to fulfil any further Underhusen obligations I need to (unless my resignation is tendered immediately), and I may be on the RMB from time to time, but other than that I am simply done. Once again, you all are wonderful and amazing people, this is a wonderful and amazing community, and I wish absolutely nothing but the best for Wintreath. :)

But now we'll have no Egyptians in our new RP! :o
    They've basically been hiding and struggling while everyone was throwing potatoes around. I doubt they'll be missed. :P
    2 people like this post: Gerrick, Caddy
    Ashton Mercer
    • icy hot
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Wintreath Nation
    Wintermoot
  • For what it's worth, I had these concerns before you announced your departure, but you say it yourself...you have no satisfactory reason to be here, no area where being here would be more appealing or rewarding than spending more time in real life. I'm not angry or upset or disappointed that you feel that way, I just think fewer people would feel that way if we were closer to what we aspire to be: a community where people can be themselves on a personal level and make friends with people that accept them for who they are, weirdness and all.

Maybe we're best known for our sexual IRC chats or the adult area, but being more personable doesn't require delving into sexual topics...it just requires getting to know each other as people and as friends. I can't help but wonder if that's where we've gone off the trial. We don't have many personable chats, and I don't know that people really get to know each other here as friends anymore. We have new people join the community on occasion, but we don't make much effort to get to know them or usually even to welcome them. We actually don't even have an active IRC most of the time anymore...it's like we've all gone off and sheltered ourselves in our own things on here.

Again, my concern isn't based just on your departure, it's been a concern for some time now. Maybe you'd still be leaving if we were the most personable community ever and you'd made a bunch of close friends here, but I feel that maybe not as many people would...more people would at least keep in touch.

I hope that you will keep in touch. :)

I went all the way to Cassadega to commune with the dead
    They said "You'd better look alive"
    Wintermoot
    • Weather: ❄️
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation
    Michi
  • Level 167 Caticorn God of Destruction
  • In the end, you caught us at a terrible time.  If you had joined during our crazy-active periods, I have a feeling that you would feel much more at home here.  But you have to go with what you feel, and I respect your choice and wish you a happy and safe life offline...though I do hope you return someday so we know how you're doing.  :)
    My Wintreath Resumé
    Michi
    • Level 167 Caticorn God of Destruction
    • Wintreath's Official Video Game Enthusiast
    • Pronouns
      Any except it/its
      Orientation
      Michisexual <3
      Familial House
      Valeria
      Wintreath Nation