Pages: [1]

The Bestiary

Gerrick
  • Regional Stability Squad
  • The Bestiary is a listing of all creatures, beasts, and monsters that may battle in the Fighting Pits or Arena. These creatures were pulled from the "Oh, the creatures you'll find in Wintreath..." thread. Each entry has a picture, description, and stats for that creature.

Mino

STATS
    HP: 20, Agility: 1d22, Attack: 1d14.

Minos are giant rat-like creatures that roam throughout the sewers and caves of Wintreath. They can vary in sizes: the smallest are about the size of a small child, while the largest are about the size of a large dog.
    Goblinite Salthile

STATS
    HP: 30, Agility: 1d22, Attack: 1d16

Goblinite Salthile are vile creatures that lurk in tombs, ruined houses, and on the highest peaks of the most northern mountains. Their diet mainly consists of bugs, small wolf cubs, and in quite large groups can also feast on an unsuspecting wanderer.
    Wintrean Troll

STATS
    HP: 35, Agility: 1d20, Attack: 1d16

The Wintrean Troll is one of the most common creatures found throughout Wintreath. They often find shelter in caves and can be seen sacrificing animals or indeed humans to their gods. Troll society is primitive and violent and often poses a threat to the more advanced societies that surround them. Their flimsy weapons are often rust-coated, and if any caused injuries are not swiftly treated, they may cause gangrenous infections. Their primitive tribal communities often require that once a young Troll reaches the age of fourteen, their ears are pointed and bound with leather straps. To them, this symbolizes that they are reaching adulthood. There is not much else to comment on these simple beings other than if you are traversing the wilds of Wintreath to listen for the hoot of an ivory horn for this heralds the arrival of the Trolls.
    Wintrean Wolf

STATS
    HP: 35, Agility: 1d24, Attack: 1d20

The Wintrean Wolf is a very feral wolf that won't hesitate to attack. They form groups of over thirty and all hunt together. When a very weak or unhelpful wolf catches some food or meat, then the others will take the food; however, if the weak wolf doesn't want to let go of the meat because he wants it for himself, then the other wolves will most likely eat him as well.
    Rhinotaur

STATS
    HP: 50, Agility: 1d22, Attack: 1d20

Rhinotaurs are peaceful herbivores who live in the Great Wintrean Plains, although they still are tough. Their actions are simple, really. When in danger, these animals ram their enemies to defend themselves. When in peace, they eat and raise their young. These simple beasts can be easily befriended by Wintreans, if they treat them well, that is.
    Sabertooth Lion

STATS
    HP: 40, Agility: 1d26, Attack: 1d24

The Sabertooth Lion is the result of the lion having to adapt to millennia of decreasing temperatures and harsher climates in Wintreath. As the savannas that they used to live in changed to forests, their fur has changed to black and red, allowing them to blend in with the shadows and leaves. Their teeth had adapted to be able to cut through the other animal's thick coats, helping them kill prey more easily. To this day, there are few left, but these animals are some of the most deadly, and they have no hesitation to kill.
    Carniboar

STATS
    HP: 45, Agility: 1d24, Attack: 1d24

The Carniboar is a giant, powerful animal that roams the plains of Wintreath. They are carnivores, and they eat anything that they can kill. Carniboars hunt in packs of 2 to 3, which is plenty to take on most prey. Although they are pretty strong, they can't swim, making only sea creatures that are close to the shore in danger of being eaten by these beasts.
    Carniboars have one main predator: humans. They are commonly hunted as sport by Wintreans. One adult carniboar can provide a hearty meal for a whole family, and their furs are commonly used in most clothing, while their tusks are used as parts of fine jewelry.
    Mountain Jaguar

STATS
    HP: 45, Agility: 1d26, Attack: 1d22

The Mountain Jaguar was the result of the jaguar having to adapt to millennia of decreasing temperatures and harsher climates in Wintreath. Since the rain forests it once lived in had been destroyed by the cold, the jaguars needed to move elsewhere for shelter. This place was the mountains. They adapted to have thicker fur to survive in the freezing temperatures of the peaks. They slept in and raised their young in the caves that could be found on the sides of the mountains. These jaguars hunt whatever they can find up in their habitat and attack anybody or anything that would intrude on their territory, making the Wintreans give them the title of "The Mountain Guardians."
    Snow Tiger

STATS
    HP: 50, Agility: 1d24, Attack: 1d22

The Snow Tiger was the result of the tiger having to adapt to millennia of decreasing temperatures and harsher climates in Wintreath. Instead of finding a place where they could be dominant, they stayed in the plains, facing the tougher competition of stronger animals. These animals adapted to having white fur, allowing them to blend in with their surroundings. This gave them an upper hand against the stronger animals, allowing their packs to get the element of surprise against their enemies.
    Great Wintrean Termite

STATS
    HP: 55, Agility: 1d22, Attack: 1d24

Measuring between 2 and 3 meters in length, warrior termites (pictured) are ferocious adversaries that will engage any threat to the mound by chewing, biting, slashing, and trampling with their enormous mandibles and powerful spined legs. Iron and steel made from the thick metallic underbellies of warrior termites is considered among the finest materials used in the crafting of weapons and armor. Remorseless killers, once deployed from the mound's core a warrior will never return; it will rampage until its warm core has cooled. Likely due to its near brainlessness, it would not remember its way back through the labyrinthine tunnels even if it had the presence of mind to save some warmth for the return journey.

All Creature Stats
                                 HP    Agility   Attack
    Mino                       20       22       14
    Golbinite Salthile      30       22       16
    Wintrean Troll          35       20       16
    Wintrean Wolf          35       24       20
    Rhinotaur                50       22       20
    Sabertooth Lion        40       26       24
    Carniboar                45       24       24
    Mountain Jaguar       45       26       22
    Snow Tiger              50       24       22
    G. Wintrean Termite  55       22       24

Agility and Attack stats are both the number of sides of the dice that are rolled in-game. To put the creatures' stats into perspective, a typical human arena combatant would have stats of 40, 20, 20, respectively.

NOTE: Creatures were made to not have identical stats yet still be relatively accurate. Stats are subject to change. If you would like to offer a change to anything or have any comments, questions, ideas, or general discussion, please post below. Also, if you'd like to add a specific creature, then please post in the creatures of Wintreath thread linked above, unless you'd like to post here first or if it's from another universe.
    1 person likes this post: Lily Polisesul
    « Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 08:12:51 PM by Gerrick »

Duke of Wintreath and Count of Janth
    Patriarch of the Noble House of Burdock
    Curriculum Vitae
    Citizen: 15 November 2015 - present
    Recruitment Contest Winner: December 2015
    Recruitment Contest Winner: January 2016
    Secretary of the 14th Underhusen: 8 February 2016 - 8 April 2016
    RP Guild Councillor: 9 February 2016 - 24 February 2017
    Recruitment Contest Winner: April 2016
    Wintreath's Finest: April 2016
    Ambassador to Nesapo: 5 July 2016 - 13 March 2017
    Jarl of Culture: 30 November 2016 - 13 September 2019
    Wintreath's Finest: November 2016
    Wintreath's Finest: February 2017
    Count of Janth: 17 September 2017 - present
    Patriarch of the Noble House of Burdock: 17 September 2017 - present
    Recruitment Contest Winner: September 2017
    Duke of Wintreath: 13 September 2019 - present
    Wintreath's Finest: September 2019
    Skrifa of the 37th Underhusen: 8 December 2019 - 8 February 2020
    Wintreath's Finest of the Year: 2019
    Commendation of Wintreath: 27 June 2020
    Citizens' Council Member: 14 September 2020 - 8 March 2021
    Skrifa of the 43rd Underhusen: 9 December 2020 - 8 February 2021 🔥

Alder of the Riksraad: 7 June 2021 - 17 June 2021
    Jarl of Culture: 17 June 2021 - 14 November 2021
    Alder of the Riksraad: 14 November 2021 - 1 March 2022
    Regional Stability Squad: 27 February 2023 - present
    Gerrick
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Bisexual
      Familial House
      Burdock
      Wintreath Nation
    Rasdanation
  • Former Citizen
  • The Greatest Link
  • I do feel that the Rhinotaur should have a bit more Hp and attack instead of having speed as it's dominant stat, since it was intended to be something more on the bulky side than the lighter side of animals, just thought I'd let you know

One last question, are these animals going to have sort of ability to make them more unique in their own way? Some examples would be the Rhinotaur getting increased attack once attacked, or the Goblinite having a chance to poison the enemy with it's equipment?
    « Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 08:12:03 PM by Rasdanation »
    T'was the year of Wintreath!
    Rasdanation
    • The Greatest Link
    • To the Glory of Witchmond!
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Danation
      Wintreath Nation
    Gerrick
  • I do feel that the Rhinotaur should have a bit more Hp and attack instead of having speed as it's dominant stat, since it was intended to be something more on the bulky side than the lighter side of animals, just thought I'd let you know

One last question, are these animals going to have sort of ability to make them more unique in their own way? Some examples would be the Rhinotaur getting increased attack once attacked, or the Goblinite having a chance to poison the enemy with it's equipment?
    That's the kind of feedback I'm looking for. Yeah, I wasn't sure what the size the Rhinotaur was as I thought that the picture made it look sorta short and stocky rather than just big. How big is it?

To your second question, they don't currently have abilities, but that's something that can definitely be implemented. If you have any ideas and how they'd affect the gameplay, I'd be happy to hear them. Might have to play around with the stats a bit to balance things, but that's ok.

Your Rhinotaur example ability probably wouldn't work alongside the proposed increased attack as it'll be getting attacked every turn, so it will essentially just be getting an increased attack every turn anyway. The Goblinite one could work, though, probably similar to the Sorcerer's Acid Spray ability.

Curriculum Vitae

Gerrick
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Bisexual
      Familial House
      Burdock
      Wintreath Nation
    Rasdanation
  • Former Citizen
  • The Greatest Link
  • I'll just list the ones abilities I could come up with off the top of my head
    Minos - Has a chance to call other rats to take the hit for it that turn
    Goblinite Salthite - Again what was already mentioned for this creature
    Wintrean Troll - Has a chance to take less damage (because of the armor it has in it's picture)
    Wintrean Wolf - Perhaps it has a chance (say 10%) to go first no matter what
    Rhinotaur - When being attacked, the enemy has a chance to hit it's horns, which would do a bit of damage to the enemy(not too much. perhaps 2 damage)
    Sabertooth Lion - Has a small chance of enemy missing it's attack (maybe 5%)
    Carniboar - If it moves first it does more damage (since if it can charge up it's speed, it does look like it would hurt more than if it hit slowly)
    Mountain Jaguar - Not exactly sure
    Snow Tiger - Chance of doing extra damage from attack (simulating the fact of it trying to sneak up on it's enemy)

Also, they Rhinotaur's are supposed to be about the height of a human (4-5 feet tall) but the reason I was saying that they are supposed to be more bulky is for the fact that their skin looks thicker than most animals, and their horns would provide more attack
    « Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 09:19:00 PM by Rasdanation »
    Rasdanation
    • The Greatest Link
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Danation
      Wintreath Nation
    Gerrick
  • Also, they Rhinotaur's are supposed to be about the height of a human (4-5 feet tall) but the reason I was saying that they are supposed to be more bulky is for the fact that their skin looks thicker than most animals, and their horns would provide more attack
    Ah, so pretty big. How about 50, 22, 20? So I gave them 10 more HP, 2 less agility, and 2 more attack. The reduced agility was because a larger beast like that would be less agile.

For the abilities, I like where your going on most of them, so here's my feedback. Mostly I just tried to up the abilities' effects as if we're going to use them, then might as well make them more likely to have an effect on the game. Also, I used dice rolls to give it more randomness and variability. Feel free (as well as anyone else interested) to give feedback on mine. Also, if anyone comes up with more abilities for each creature, then I could just randomly assign a creature one of its available abilities at the start of each game.
    • Mino: Wasn't sure if you meant more minos or rats. But either way probably not this one as minos are too large to just scurry out from somewhere, while rats wouldn't be large enough to take the damage. Plus, that kinda loses the point of a pit fight when other animals can be called upon to fight as well.
    • Goblinite Salthile: Yup. I'm thinking something like it has a 33% chance to do an extra 1d3 (avg 2) damage for 1d3 turns? This is meant for the poison to have a chance have/not have as much of an effect depending on where it hit or whatever.
    • Wintrean Troll: I tried to account for that by giving it a little more HP than the Goblinite Salthile (which I saw as quite similar), but I suppose that could work. How about a 33% chance to take 1d7 (avg 4) less damage?
    • Wintrean Wolf: I'm good with that, but how about a 20% chance?
    • Rhinotaur: That could work. How about 33% chance for 1d4 (avg 2.5) damage?
    • Carniboar: I quite like that one. How about 1d4 (avg 2.5) damage? It already has the highest attack, though, so I don't really want to give it very much more.
    • For the big cats, I'll need to think on that a little bit.
    1 person likes this post: Rasdanation

Curriculum Vitae

Gerrick
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Bisexual
      Familial House
      Burdock
      Wintreath Nation
    Rasdanation
  • Former Citizen
  • The Greatest Link
  • I'm not the best at seeing what's fair and what's not when it comes to percentages, so I probably shouldn't be the one judging this. Perhaps we could get some other people to check them out/suggest abilities themselves.

Also, I tried to give abilities based on their traits and what could make the playing fields a bit more even. Since the there really is no reason to bet on the mino, since it has  the lowest stats in almost every single category.

Lastly, for the Rhinotaur's new stats, it definetly does make it seem more like the bulky tank of a creature that I originally imagined it to be. If you need to lower it's speed to make it a little less OP, I'm perfectly fine with that.
    Rasdanation
    • The Greatest Link
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Danation
      Wintreath Nation
    Gerrick
  • I'm not the best at seeing what's fair and what's not when it comes to percentages, so I probably shouldn't be the one judging this. Perhaps we could get some other people to check them out/suggest abilities themselves.
    Yeah, that makes sense. Do it, people.
    Also, I tried to give abilities based on their traits and what could make the playing fields a bit more even. Since the there really is no reason to bet on the mino, since it has  the lowest stats in almost every single category.
    Yeah, but I guess each doesn't have to be equal since some creatures are just inherently stronger and more likely to kill another. I might pit 2 minos against a stronger creature or we can just wait until other weaker creatures are created to pit them against.
    Lastly, for the Rhinotaur's new stats, it definetly does make it seem more like the bulky tank of a creature that I originally imagined it to be. If you need to lower it's speed to make it a little less OP, I'm perfectly fine with that.
    Alright, I've updated the stats. :)
    1 person likes this post: Rasdanation

Curriculum Vitae