Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Wintreath Goes To The Darkest Dungeon! (The Story)

Arenado
  • Citizen
  • Some Random Guy
  • Its great north. im waiting eagerly for the next part, i just had one question. when does my jester come in? or is it random?

Totally random, up to the game. I'm still waiting for my Leper :]
    I Hope You Have A Nice Day :]
    Arenado
    • Some Random Guy
    • Comfortably Numb
    • Citizen
    • Pronouns
      Any/All or They/Them
      Familial House
      Eske
      Wintreath Nation
    Lord Belmont
  • Former Citizen
  • Belmont Inc. CEO
  • oh ok cool. cant wait for the next part.  :wave:
    Zobek: An unusual hiding place, for the Prince of Darkness. Don't you think?
    Gabriel: Zobek...
    Zobek: Yes, old friend. It is I.
    Gabriel: Where have you been, all this time?
    Zobek: Out there, amongst the living. And what of you? Why have you been hiding all this time... ... Gabriel?
    Gabriel: Don't you dare call me that! Eu sunt Dracul!
    Lord Belmont
    • Belmont Inc. CEO
    • I'm a mirror. If you're cool with me I'm cool with you.
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Wintreath Nation
    Arenado
  • Citizen
  • Some Random Guy
  • Back In The Ruins

Yllia held her giant over sized ax carefully as she led the party down the poorly lit corridor. She put on a brave face but she was scared. She'd never faced an enemy like this. Corrupted horrors.... as her mind wandered, she saw a flash of movement as four skeletal monsters rounded the corner and stopped, a look of shock not on their faces because they had no face. They were surprised though, and so was Yllia. She barely had time to get into a combat stance before she felt something impact her from behind. She turned and saw Gerrick's dog charge at the enemy...

Canine Charge

Gerrick saw the skeletons round the corner and just reacted. He raised his hand and shouted "Go boy!". His trusty companion charged and lunged at the first skeleton, ripping its skull of and killing it. The skeleton at the back hissed and raised his crossbow, fired and struck Gerrick straight in the chest. He felt a flash of pain in his chest and screamed in pain, clutching the bolt. Blood oozed out of the wound and his dog came rushing to his aid. It was the first time in 11 years the veteran lawman had been this injured. He felt doubt begin to rush into his mind. Would he finally become a saint? He certainly did not feel holy unity as the thoughts rushed in his mind. "Why are we here? You'll get yourself killed! And for what? That maniac's estate? SCREW THAT! WE GOTTA GET OUT OF HERE!" Panic swept Gerrick as he felt his resolve being tested. He dug deep, focused hard and found the courage inside to continue, pushing aside the doubt, pushing aside the pain and hollered as he raised his black jack in defiance!

Gerrick is Tested

Sapphiron saw the commotion and was about to provide her healing abilities to Gerrick when she heard a whisper behind her. A small voice. "Sapph....Sapph...." She turned to face the voice. When she saw it, her eyes went wide with fear. It was death, standing there with a scythe. "Its time Sapph. Come with me.... come with me to the light..." Sapph took panicked steps backward. "I'm not ready! I'm not ready to die!" Death slowly glided forward "Pay... pay for your life... prove your worth..." Sapph stared transfixed at the apportion. It couldn't be real! It couldn't be real! It couldn't! Sapph closed her eyes. Her resolve was being tested. She could feel it. She had to reject this shade! She had to! She..... she had to pay for her life! Her resolve had been tested and she broke, becoming selfishly attached to gold.

Sapphiron is tested

Meanwhile, at the front, Yllia kept fighting. Gerrick was wounded, Wintermoot was trying to help him and Sapphiron began shouting at the walls demanding a tithe to "pay for her life" from everyone. She was alone in the front, fighting off the skeletons. She had been grazed by two crossbow bolts, cut by 4 axes and received 1 direct hit from a club. More skeletons came running. She dodged one of the attacks and dissected another crossbowman. An ax sliced her back and she wheeled around and crushed the offenders skull. More skeletons came. Fear began to creep into her mind and she tried to focus on the task of holding them back. She killed two ax skeletons with one blow and amputated the arm of another. She would not give up, she said to herself. Then a crossbow bolt hit her in the neck. She began gargling blood as the red liquid began seeping from her mouth. The fear took over her now and her resolve was broken.

Yllia is Tested

Gerrick saw the bolt strike Yllia. He saw her begin to stumble backward. He pushed aside Wintermoot and barely got to his feet. "Sic em, boy! Sic em!" He shouted at his companion as it growled and charged, taking out a skeleton that was about to strike a death blow to Yllia.

Gerrick saves Yllia

Wintermoot saw Yllia on the ground, desperately trying to hold down the wound. She rushed to Yllia's side with her medicine. "Hang in there, Yllia! You'll be ok!"

Sapphiron continued to shout at the walls. More voices invaded her mind. "Help! Help!" She tried to block them out as she yelled on about death. She tried striking him but the mace just went through his ghostly being. She screamed somemore as tears formed in her eyes. Those voices were getting harder to ignore. "Sapphiron! For the love of god, Help us!" That was another vision, another... wait, that was Wintermoot's voice.... the death in front of her smiled as it faded away. The world faded into view as she saw what was right in front of her. Gerrick and his dog trying to fend off 4 of the skeletons alone. Yllia seeping blood from a neck wound. Wintermoot applying direct pressure as she yelled at Sapphiron. "SAPPHIRON! HELP HIM! NOW!" Sapphiron blinked in confusion before Wintermoot's words clicked. She raised her mace and muttered an incantation. Her mace began to glow. She continued until finally her mace cast a blinding light and lighting strikes shot out and vaporized the remaining skeletons.

Sapphiron's attack

Gerrick scanned the corridor. They had cleared this passage. They had won...

Wintermoot continued to apply bandages and pressure to Yllia's neck. " Stay with me! Stay with me, Yllia!" She reached down for another bandage when Yllia stopped breathing. The blood seeped onto the cold hard floor. She was dead. Nobody moved for a minute. Then Wintermoot looked at her blood soaked hands and began sobbing uncontrollably. Gerrick stared in shocked silence. Sapphiron shook her head in disbelief.

The expedition had been a success. But Yllia had died in the attempt.The remains started the long trek back down....

Results of the Expedition
    2 people like this post: Gerrick, Sapphiron
    Arenado
    • Some Random Guy
    • Comfortably Numb
    • Citizen
    • Pronouns
      Any/All or They/Them
      Familial House
      Eske
      Wintreath Nation
    Aragonn
  • Citizen
  • Aesir Warrior
  • Nooo! My girl :'(

Good story though. Looking forward to reading more.
    Jarl Aragonn
    The Aesir Empire

Aragonn
    • Aesir Warrior
    • To sit back hoping that someday, some way, someone will make things right is to go on feeding the crocodile, hoping he will eat you last - but eat you he will.
    • Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    Arenado
  • Citizen
  • Some Random Guy
  • Nooo! My girl :'(

Good story though. Looking forward to reading more.

You can get another.
    Arenado
    • Some Random Guy
    • Comfortably Numb
    • Citizen
    • Pronouns
      Any/All or They/Them
      Familial House
      Eske
      Wintreath Nation
    Aragonn
  • Citizen
  • Aesir Warrior
  • We were gonna get married and have five kids and move to the countryside and-

I'm just joking. :P Anyway... She died a warrior's death. To Valhalla, she goes.
    Jarl Aragonn
    The Aesir Empire

Aragonn
    • Aesir Warrior
    • To sit back hoping that someday, some way, someone will make things right is to go on feeding the crocodile, hoping he will eat you last - but eat you he will.
    • Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    Arenado
  • Citizen
  • Some Random Guy
  • We were gonna get married and have five kids and move to the countryside and-

I'm just joking. :P Anyway... She died a warrior's death. To Valhalla, she goes.

Hopefully this next one doesn't get an crossbow bolt to the neck on their first mission :]
    1 person likes this post: Aragonn
    Arenado
    • Some Random Guy
    • Comfortably Numb
    • Citizen
    • Pronouns
      Any/All or They/Them
      Familial House
      Eske
      Wintreath Nation
    Gerrick
  • Regional Stability Squad
  • Good writing, as always. Looking forward to the next part. :)

How is it decided which characters participate each round? Like, is it just random which characters the computer chooses, or does a character go until injury or death?

And now I see where your avatar comes from. For some reason I had thought it was from like a death metal band or something :))

Duke of Wintreath and Count of Janth
    Patriarch of the Noble House of Burdock
    Curriculum Vitae
    Citizen: 15 November 2015 - present
    Recruitment Contest Winner: December 2015
    Recruitment Contest Winner: January 2016
    Secretary of the 14th Underhusen: 8 February 2016 - 8 April 2016
    RP Guild Councillor: 9 February 2016 - 24 February 2017
    Recruitment Contest Winner: April 2016
    Wintreath's Finest: April 2016
    Ambassador to Nesapo: 5 July 2016 - 13 March 2017
    Jarl of Culture: 30 November 2016 - 13 September 2019
    Wintreath's Finest: November 2016
    Wintreath's Finest: February 2017
    Count of Janth: 17 September 2017 - present
    Patriarch of the Noble House of Burdock: 17 September 2017 - present
    Recruitment Contest Winner: September 2017
    Duke of Wintreath: 13 September 2019 - present
    Wintreath's Finest: September 2019
    Skrifa of the 37th Underhusen: 8 December 2019 - 8 February 2020
    Wintreath's Finest of the Year: 2019
    Commendation of Wintreath: 27 June 2020
    Citizens' Council Member: 14 September 2020 - 8 March 2021
    Skrifa of the 43rd Underhusen: 9 December 2020 - 8 February 2021 🔥

Alder of the Riksraad: 7 June 2021 - 17 June 2021
    Jarl of Culture: 17 June 2021 - 14 November 2021
    Alder of the Riksraad: 14 November 2021 - 1 March 2022
    Regional Stability Squad: 27 February 2023 - present
    Gerrick
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Bisexual
      Familial House
      Burdock
      Wintreath Nation
    Arenado
  • Citizen
  • Some Random Guy
  • Good writing, as always. Looking forward to the next part. :)

How is it decided which characters participate each round? Like, is it just random which characters the computer chooses, or does a character go until injury or death?

And now I see where your avatar comes from. For some reason I had thought it was from like a death metal band or something :))

No, I pick them based on place, last time that character went out, types of enemies faced and character traits.
    Arenado
    • Some Random Guy
    • Comfortably Numb
    • Citizen
    • Pronouns
      Any/All or They/Them
      Familial House
      Eske
      Wintreath Nation
    Arenado
  • Citizen
  • Some Random Guy
  • Return To The Hamlet

The trek back to the Hamlet was quiet and tense. Gerrick and his dog walked in front, carrying Yllia with barely contained anger in check. Wintermoot and Sapphiron walked behind him, both with shell-shocked expressions. Wintermoot kept staring at her blood soaked hands. Maybe if she tried harder Yllia would still be alive.....

When they finally reached the Hamlet, Gerrick put down Yllia's corpse gently. Then he turned, rushed at Sapphiron, grabbed her tunic and threw her against a wall, shaking her as he did so. "WHAT HAPPENED BACK THERE? YOU COULD HAVE HELPED HER, YOU COULD HAVE SAVED HER! INSTEAD, YOU LET HER DIE WHILE YOU SCREAMED AT NOTHING! WHAT IS WR...." He was cut off by a pair of strong leather clad hands grabbing his back, pulling him off Sapphiron and pinning him against the wall. He couldn't see his attacker but damn, he was strong. His lunatic employer appeared in his limited vision, a look of shock on his face.

"What are you doing? Why were you attacking Sapph? And what happened to Yllia?" He gestured towards the pale, cold and blood soaked corpse. Gerrick struggled mightily against the hands that held him. "GET OFF OF ME RIGHT NOW, GODDAMNIT!" His employer stepped forward and shouted in his face "HEY! Listen to me. Calm down and I'll tell him to let you go. Understand?" Gerrick fought for a second, calmed down, then nodded. The employer gestured toward the Bounty Hunter. "Ok. Let him go, Alestrio."

Alestrio

Alestrio released the angry lawman. It had not been the first time that the Bounty Hunter and that lawman and his mutt had tangled. A professional hazard given his line of work. But only Gerrick and his cohorts had those damn mutts. He hated animals, he was not afraid to say. Gerrick turned around, a look of anger on his face when he recognized the Bounty Hunter. "You! Why am I not surprised? Slinking around in darkness, away from the light you hate so much? I'm only surprised it took you this long to get here, mercenary scum." Alestrio kept his silence. Nothing he said would really change anything so why bother. The crazy man who hired him needed his previous knowledge of the Cove area, even if Alestrio was getting a little slow on the draw. He crossed his arms and let his employer speak.

"Gerrick, we need him and I expect you to work well together, understand? Now, what happened to Yllia was a tragedy. Tensions are high. Lets just take it down a notch, ok? You go and bury Yllia in the cemetery while I talk to Moot and Sapph, ok?" Gerrick looked away, still angry, but did as he was told, taking Yllia away. The employer turned toward Wintermoot and Sapphiron, both of whom hadn't moved and still looked traumatized. "Are you 2 ok? Do you need to sit out the next expedition?" Wintermoot shook her head. "I'm... I'll be ok." Her employer nodded and turned to Sapph. "No. I'm not ok. I don't trust myself out there." The employer sighed and nodded. " Ok. Stay here and recuperate. Winter, I hate to do this, but I need you. Tomorrow, get ready to go back in again." He stopped and turned to face Gerrick. "Goddamn it..." Then he and Alestrio left.

Wintermoot started back towards her room before she was met by a familiar face. The Highwayman had returned from the nearby village and was unnaturally happy as he entered the Hamlet. That happiness went away when he saw Wintermoot covered in blood. He was tough, some said he had a hard noggin (some also said he was quick and a cheat, but thats beside the point), but seeing that much blood on the Doctor made him uneasy. He rushed over. "God, are you ok, Moot? What happened?" Moot took off her mask and ran her hands through her hair. "We went out. Yllia, she..... she didn't make it. Gerrick's burying her over there." She gestured towards Gerrick. The Highwayman stared in silence. More death...always more death. Moot continued on her way, slowly, breaking him from his thoughts. He had no idea what to say so he said the only thing that came to mind. " Hey, Moot... I.... I'm sorry. I never told you my name, did I?" Moot shook her head. "My name is Hydra." She nodded, gave a little smile, then thanked him and left, leaving him to go help Gerrick with Yllia.

Hydra

As Alestrio and the madman walked back to the tavern the lunatic spoke to Alestrio. "Damn, the first casualty. I was hoping it'd take longer. Oh well. We have one more new guy to introduce, but I think that we should do that later, at least for the rest of the team." The entered the tavern where a twitchy and badly scarred man covered in chains sat alone. "Alestrio, this particular Abomination is named Aragonn. Trust me when I say hes more dangerous then he looks."

Aragonn

Aragonn spun around rapidly, clutching his chains. He wasn't very good with them and tended to miss when he did use them but they didn't know that. "Bounty hunter? Why did you bring a Bounty Hunter?" He was already considering escape options. He knew his way around the Weald and he had a healers touch so that area was prime real estate for fleeing. The insane man who brought him here raised his hands in a non threatening way. "Ara, I'm not here to turn you in. This is Alestrio, hes part of the team. Dont worry, as long as I'm here you'll be fine." Aragonn twitched, nervous. But the man had kept his promises....

The next day, a team prepared to go our again. Alestrio the Bounty Hunter led the way, Aragonn stood right behind him, Hydra and his handgun behind him and Wintermoot, as usual, holding down the rear. They prepared one more time to go down into the ruins....

Another Expedition
    2 people like this post: Michi, Gerrick
    « Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 06:16:31 AM by North »
    Arenado
    • Some Random Guy
    • Comfortably Numb
    • Citizen
    • Pronouns
      Any/All or They/Them
      Familial House
      Eske
      Wintreath Nation
    Arenado
  • Citizen
  • Some Random Guy
  • A New Team

Hydra entered the room cautiously, flintlock raised. So far this expedition had been quiet. One pair of spiders and some grave nibblers. Easy stuff, the team hadn't even been hit so far. Hydra was hoping that this streak would continue. Alestrio and Aragonn were in front of him, watching the front, though it kinda looked like Aragonn wasn't watching...A howl of anger grabbed his attention and he barely sidestepped the charge of the brigand that had yelled. He tried to swing at Hydra, missed, and took a tumble. Hydra raised his flintlock and was about to fire when a gunshot behind him made him spin and fire. A brigand screamed as the bullet struck him in the gut.

Hydra's Shot

Unfortunately, when his back was turned, the original bandit jumped to his feet and buried his knife into Hydra's back. He screamed and fell to the floor.

Wintermoot saw the attack begin and fumbled for her grenade. She stood paralyzed when Hydra got stabbed. Yllia's blood soaked and fearful face flashed in front of her for a second. This spurred her on as she wildly threw her grenade, striking one of the bandit gunners.

Wintermoot's Throw

She was panicking now. She saw enemies in every shadow, conspiracy in every action. Paranoia took hold, and though she tried to fight it, her damaged and traumatized psyche was in no shape for such a stressful situation. Her resolve broke and the Paranoia took over her.

Wintermoot's Test

Aragonn saw the bandits continue to assault their position. He saw Hydra go down though the Highwayman immediately got back up again and slashed his attacker's throat open. They kept coming. He had to do it. He had no choice. This was for survival. He closed his eyes, dropped his internal barriers and let his inner monster out. The beast took over and the transformation was complete.

Aragonn's Transformation

The bandits took a look at the monster in front of them and began to retreat. It would not allow that. It chased down the remaining two offenders and grabbed one by his head, crushing his skull with his grip as he screamed in agony. The last remaining bandit fired a shot at the monster. It didn't even flinch. The gunner looked at his rifle in disbelief before Ara, or whatever he had become, grabbed the gunners legs and ripped him onto two, laterally.

The Abomination's Attack

Alestrio stared at the battlefield. A relatively quiet first outing. Hydra had been wounded, Ara had.... done that....thing... and Wintermoot was twitching more that the Abomination was. Not to bad, considering. He gathered the team, consolidated the loot and began the trek down to the Hamlet...
    1 person likes this post: Gerrick
    Arenado
    • Some Random Guy
    • Comfortably Numb
    • Citizen
    • Pronouns
      Any/All or They/Them
      Familial House
      Eske
      Wintreath Nation
    Arenado
  • Citizen
  • Some Random Guy
  • Sorry for the short post, not a whole lot actually happened on this trip besides... well.... read on.
    Arenado
    • Some Random Guy
    • Comfortably Numb
    • Citizen
    • Pronouns
      Any/All or They/Them
      Familial House
      Eske
      Wintreath Nation
    Hydra
  • Former Citizen
  • Hail Hydra!
  • Woah... That got crazy real fast (for my character)! I love it! I'm looking forward to seeing what comes next.
    You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
    - Mae West
    Hydra
    • Hail Hydra!
    • I solemnly swear that I'm up to no good.
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      The Noble House of Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    Aragonn
  • Citizen
  • Aesir Warrior
  • KILL 'EM! KILL 'EM ALL! >:D
    Jarl Aragonn
    The Aesir Empire

Aragonn
    • Aesir Warrior
    • Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    Wintermoot
  • The Greyscale Magi-Monk
  • I keep getting the impression that we're barely making it through these battles for some reason. :P

I went all the way to Cassadega to commune with the dead
    They said "You'd better look alive"
    Wintermoot
    • The Greyscale Magi-Monk
    • Weather: ❄️
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4