Pages: 1 [2]

Laurentus' Convention Proposal 1.0

Laurentus
  • Regional Stability Squad
  • Count of Highever
  • Sounded like it to me. Which in essence would end up meaning the OH wouldn't have the same purpose anymore either.

EDIT: Also, in any GCR, the possibility exists for someone who is good at playing to the crowd to depose whatever WA Delegate has taken power. Therefore, it's a bit silly to proclaim oneself as the master for life, for the same reason it's silly not to expect a founder to have complete power.

Were I in command of a GCR, I'd subtly use my various manipulative techniques to get my way, while making people think they had complete power. :P
    « Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 02:54:13 AM by Laurentus »
    In die donker ure skink net duiwels nog 'n dop, 
    Satan sit saam sy kinders en kyk hoe kom die son op. 
    • Count of Highever
    Laurentus
    • Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      The Noble House of Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    Wintermoot
  • The Greyscale Magi-Monk
  • I have to admit I don't understand the purpose of just leaving the Overhusen...simply by the virtue of being appointed by the Monarch, the purpose of the Overhusen would be to represent the Monarchy, whether it's 'supposed' to be that way or not.

Edit: The NPO has been in power for 12 years...I don't see that changing anytime soon. At the end of the day it's endorsement caps and influence that matters when it comes to controlling a GCR. :P
    « Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 02:57:30 AM by Wintermoot »

I went all the way to Cassadega to commune with the dead
    They said "You'd better look alive"
    Wintermoot
    • Weather: ❄️
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation
    Bodobol
  • Former Citizen
  • Yeah, I was proposing dissolving the UH, since there's not much left for it to do IMO. I was thinking the OH could be granted the ability to draft legislation themselves. A legislative body would still be good to have, since situations will inevitably arise which require their attention; there's just not enough of these situations to really warrant division of powers between multiple houses.

In my experience, no one bothers to call recall elections solely for unpopular but ultimately benign opinion/actions. A 75% majority in a recall election would be representative of nearly universal, absolute disapproval of a government member. Which usually comes from knowingly committing actions that are directly harmful to the community as a whole. The OH would still be able to represent the Monarchy, only getting recalled in the instance that a member has been flagrantly and severely abusing their powers.

I'm not against the concept of the Overhusen representing the Monarchy's interests. The check I proposed would only be utilized in extraordinary circumstances, like what I've outlined.
    Bodobol
    Wintermoot
  • I guess what I don't understand is why retaining the appointed chamber is better than retaining the elected chamber, especially since I could be directly given the Overhusen's veto power.

I went all the way to Cassadega to commune with the dead
    They said "You'd better look alive"
    Wintermoot
    • Weather: ❄️
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation
    Sapphiron
  • Scarlet Petal Floats
  • If the Overhusen's veto power is passed on to the Monarch, what would happen during citizenship revocations?

Edit: Let's say the Underhusen is still there. The Declaration of Rights allow citizens whose citizenship are revoked to appeal that decision. If the revocation is passed through the Underhusen, and as the Monarch agreed to it, doesn't that mean the appeal was doomed before it was even made? From my point of view, the Overhusen is there to agree or disagree, after which the Monarch can entertain the appeal if the revocation act passed through the Storting.
    « Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 07:53:45 AM by Sapphiron »
    Sapphiron
    • Scarlet Petal Floats
    • Audi alteram partem
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    Bodobol
  • Former Citizen
  • I guess what I don't understand is why retaining the appointed chamber is better than retaining the elected chamber, especially since I could be directly given the Overhusen's veto power.

My view was that while a legislative body still has purpose, there's not enough to necessitate all of the business that goes along with elections every two months, when a smaller group is just as capable of doing the needed work.

If the Overhusen's veto power is passed on to the Monarch, what would happen during citizenship revocations?

Edit: Let's say the Underhusen is still there. The Declaration of Rights allow citizens whose citizenship are revoked to appeal that decision. If the revocation is passed through the Underhusen, and as the Monarch agreed to it, doesn't that mean the appeal was doomed before it was even made? From my point of view, the Overhusen is there to agree or disagree, after which the Monarch can entertain the appeal if the revocation act passed through the Storting.

This is a concern I admittedly haven't considered. You have a point.
    Bodobol
    HannahB
  • Former Citizen
  • Nuclear Soldermancer
  • Okay here is my new new idea, basically exactly the same as Laurentus' except instead of removing the UH and giving all its tasks to the OH, you go the other way around. Dismantle the OH and leave the UH, Wintermoot would have the Personal veto power the OH currently has, and we would still have an elected legislature... Also any of the plans Laurentus has for the Overhusen just apply to this UH body instead.

Also doubling the term time to 4 months, to reduce the amount of elections, and lowering the min and Max Skrifa to 3 and 5 respectively...

Basically instead of completly destroying the Legislative branch, massively downsizing it...

If it would be preferred, one of the members of this branch could also be selected by Wintermoot...

While it won't necessarily solve the activity issues, I think it would mitiage its effects.

This just occurred to me reading through here, but I think it provides the best of both worlds here... I mean if you think the UH has been inactive the OH has been way more as it relies on the other, and it satisfies me because we would still have both a legislative and elected group in the government...

Also I should probably make my own topic about this, but what do you think at first?

(Sorry Laurentus if this hijacks your topic,  :-\ just say and I'll move this pronto)

Edit: Hell if necessary the Cabinet could take over most of the function of the OH fairly easily...

Also this acts as a nice stepping stone if you do want to fully destroy all of the legislature...
    1 person likes this post: Barnes
    « Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 09:33:32 PM by HannahB »
    HannahB
    • Nuclear Soldermancer
    • "You can not fight for Peace, you can only fight for War"
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      She/Her/Hers
      Familial House
      Everden
      Wintreath Nation
    Laurentus
  • Count of Highever
  • Hmm, I think I'll reserve judgment until we gain a better idea of how well 7 Skrifa work.

I think I liked another idea where people get both elected and chosen by the monarch, and the total number of seats are ten, consisting of 5 elected people and 5 appointed ones. I can't remember who proposed this.

And also, yes, it would be better if you started your own topic. Not because you're jacking mine, but because it's more organised. :P
    In die donker ure skink net duiwels nog 'n dop, 
    Satan sit saam sy kinders en kyk hoe kom die son op. 
    • Count of Highever
    Laurentus
    • Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      The Noble House of Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    Gerrick
  • I think I liked another idea where people get both elected and chosen by the monarch, and the total number of seats are ten, consisting of 5 elected people and 5 appointed ones. I can't remember who proposed this.
    That was me 8)

Duke of Wintreath and Count of Janth
    Patriarch of the Noble House of Burdock
    Curriculum Vitae
    Citizen: 15 November 2015 - present
    Recruitment Contest Winner: December 2015
    Recruitment Contest Winner: January 2016
    Secretary of the 14th Underhusen: 8 February 2016 - 8 April 2016
    RP Guild Councillor: 9 February 2016 - 24 February 2017
    Recruitment Contest Winner: April 2016
    Wintreath's Finest: April 2016
    Ambassador to Nesapo: 5 July 2016 - 13 March 2017