Pages: [1] 2 ... 9

Werewolf Theme and Role Ideas

Michi
  • Regional Stability Squad
  • Level 167 Caticorn God of Destruction
  • Hey there everyone, Pengu here!

Now I know that many of you have taken part in Werewolf and have gotten a taste for the different styles that it can take.  From roles to themes, it's a pretty open and neverending series that can always change and adapt to whatever the person hosting it wants to do with it.

This thread is to list potential theme ideas for future hosts.  If you have a theme idea that you'd like to see in a future game (whether hosted by you or another person), please feel free to share them in here.

Themes based on Genre
    *Standard Fantasy (dungeons, fairies, dragons, etc...)
    *Standard Sci Fi (futuristic, robots, outer space, etc...)
    *Standard horror (Haunted house, cabin in the woods, serial killers)
    *Standard Mystery (Typical "Who did it?" set up)
    *Standard Western

Themes based on popular media (books/TV/Movies)
    *Supernatural
    *Marvel/DC Superheroes/villains
    *Sherlock Holmes
    *Harry Potter
    *Star Wars/Star Trek
    *Futurama
    *Monty Python
    *Ghostbusters
    *Scooby Doo
    *The Bachelor
    *Survivor
    *American Idol
    *Iron Chef
    *Pokemon
    *Town of Salem (various tellings)

Themes based on popular board/video games
    *Clue
    *Warcraft
    *Elder Scrolls
    *Silent Hill
    *Dragon Age
    *Legend of Zelda
    *Chess
    *Final Fantasy
    *Fallout
    *Undertale
    *Town of Salem (video game)
    *Warcraft III
    *Parasite Eve

Themes based on original ideas
    *The Werewolf Reality Show
    *The Dreamer Trials
    *Opposite Day

As I said, free to list your ideas for themes as well, and I'll add them to the list.  No idea is too silly, unless you want it to be silly...which that can be done too! :)
    « Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 03:15:32 AM by Pengu »
    My Wintreath Resumé
    Michi
    • Wintreath's Official Video Game Enthusiast
    • Pronouns
      Any except it/its
      Orientation
      Michisexual <3
      Familial House
      Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    Michi
  • And what is a werewolf game without the various roles that can take place?  Here are the most common roles in Werewolf:

Villager - Villagers are the normal players that vote during the day, and have no special night powers.

Wolf - Wolves will pretend to be villagers during the day and vote alongside the rest.  During the night, they'll choose a target to kill.

Defender - Defenders are villagers that will choose to protect someone during the night phase.  During the day, they'll vote alongside the rest.

Seer - The seer is the eyes of the villagers.  During each night, the seer will inquire about a player, and will be told that player's role.

Now, many a great game can be played with these main roles, and there's rarely been a game without a defender or a seer.  But here's some roles that help spice things up a bit if you feel the common roles are a bit stale:

Elder - The elder has 2 lives.  This role serves as the life energy for the power roles.  If the Elder dies, then the Seer and Defender both lose the ability to use their powers.  Some games allow the elder the option to scan or defend a player as well.

Assassin - Like the wolves, the Assassin will find someone to attack for up to 3 nights.  The assassin will share the win with either team if they're still alive.

Gambler - The gambler is a tricky role in that it relies on pure luck for the other players.  The Gambler is the role version of the Wheel of Penalties in which they'll have many different powers they can use during the night.  The catch is that the power they can use will be decided by a dice rolled by the host.  These powers can range from role reveal, to lynching if someone says the censored word, to giving someone an extra vote during the day, to many other possibilities.

Witch - During each night, she chooses one person and one word.  If the person says that word during the day, they die.  The word has to be 4 or more letters long, and cannot be "lynch," "Vote," the name of a role, or a person's name.

And these are just a few of the well known special roles.  There are many others that can be included in the game.  Know any roles that you'd want to see in a future game?  Feel free to list them in here!
    My Wintreath Resumé
    Michi
    • Pronouns
      Any except it/its
      Orientation
      Michisexual <3
      Familial House
      Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    Reon
  • Former Citizen
  • I will die by the hand of God to see a yu-gi-oh werewolf occur here...
    Other than that I have always loved the gambler role and would love to see it in the game... It muddles up the other roles and makes the game more interesting to figure out... I kind of love it.
    Face the facts of being what you are, for that is what changes what you are.
    Reon
    • Follow the Truth, whoever that may be.
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Wintreath Nation
    Michi
  • Saboteur - The Saboteurs love to cause chaos in a game of Werewolf, though they hold no claim to being good nor evil.  Saboteurs come in many forms:

-The Negator: The Negator will use their power to stop the usage of powers for a night phase.  Which powers depends on the usage of the role and who they choose to help.  For some who use the Negator, they may choose to have them negate ALL powers for a set number of nights.  For some others, they might limit it to one role per night.  And for others, they may choose to have it be a gambling role to where the Negator has to choose someone by name and HOPE that person had a power (which they'll never know).

-The Blocker: The Blocker is someone that, at first glance, may seem like a good guy.  This is because during each night, they'll choose someone to use their power of total defense on, much like how a defender will do it.   The person chosen will be protected from any type of oncoming attack from Werewolf, Assassin, Negator, Witch, and whatnot.  However, what this also means is that the person protected will also be shielded from scans by the Seer.  If they're a good guy, that will be one player that the seer won't be able to contact until they scan when the player isn't protected.  If they're a bad guy, this means the seer will not know until they're able to get a successful scan.  The only person the Blocker cannot use their power on is themselves.

-The Bodyguard: The bodyguard is essentially the Blocker's day-phase brother.  For a set number of day phases (or every day phase, depending on the host), the Bodyguard will choose someone at the very beginning who they will use their power one.  The person chosen will be completely immune for the day phase, meaning people won't be able to vote for them for that day.  The Bodyguard cannot use their power on themselves.

-The Thief: The Thief is another type of Saboteur, mimicking the Negator in a way.  The Thief will have a set number of nights to where they may "kidnap" a specific role assigned to them.  When that role is "kidnapped," their power is negated.
    « Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 04:03:21 PM by Pengu »
    My Wintreath Resumé
    Michi
    • Pronouns
      Any except it/its
      Orientation
      Michisexual <3
      Familial House
      Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    Anneliese
  • Former Citizen
  • It's pronounced ah-nuh-LAY-zuh.
  • Given the amount of interest I've seen here for Game of Thrones, I think that could make for a very interesting basis of werewolf.
    Anneliese
    • I don't want to be a queen. I want to be The Queen.
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      She/Her/Hers
      Familial House
      Everden
      Wintreath Nation
    Michi
  • I'm not the biggest into GoT myself, so I wouldn't know anything about it for setting up an effective game.  That's definitely an idea for anyone wanting to host a future game, though!  I think taking part in a GoT Werewolf game could be fun.
    My Wintreath Resumé
    Michi
    • Pronouns
      Any except it/its
      Orientation
      Michisexual <3
      Familial House
      Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    Anneliese
  • Former Citizen
  • I'm basically a walking GoT encyclopedia, though my werewolf experience will only begin with the current one.
    Anneliese
    • I don't want to be a queen. I want to be The Queen.
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      She/Her/Hers
      Familial House
      Everden
      Wintreath Nation
    Wintermoot
  • The Greyscale Magi-Monk
  • I have an idea I've been thinking about the last few days...

Raiders vs Defenders

This would kind of simulate a peaceful founderless region with natives (villagers), defenders (uhr...defenders), and raiders (wolves). Depending on how many people joined, defenders and raiders would have roles such as spotters (seers), but there would also be a special role that would change hands throughout the game, the Delegate. ???

Each day, players would vote for Delegate along with who they want to lynch, and players would receive an amount of "influence" equal to the number of votes that they got. The delegate would be immune to attacks that night, and would have the opportunity to expend influence to eject or banject someone from the region the next day, if they have the influence to do so. Ejecting would prevent a player from doing being involved in the game during the next night and day, while banjecting would remove them entirely from the game. I'm thinking ejecting would cost 15% of influence everyone has in the game while banjecting would cost 30%, which would give more power to delegates voted in by higher margins or had consistently received a lot of votes throughout the game.

This is just an idea I had though. :)

I went all the way to Cassadega to commune with the dead
    They said "You'd better look alive"
    Wintermoot
    • Weather: ❄️
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation
    Laurentus
  • Count of Highever
  • That sounds very interesting, and I'd like to see that.

With activity in such a lull, I do believe that it would be best to resort to a casual game of werewolf. Perhaps it could even be set in Morrowind (in which case vampires) or Skyrim (in which case both werewolves and vampires would work). I hate Cyrodiil, but if someone wants it set there...
    1 person likes this post: Imaginative Kane
    In die donker ure skink net duiwels nog 'n dop, 
    Satan sit saam sy kinders en kyk hoe kom die son op. 
    • Count of Highever
    Laurentus
    • Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      The Noble House of Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    Michi
  • I love the idea of an EoS themed game, actually.  I do agree that a casual style would be better given that we're in a lull right now.  I think one could gauge it on the attendance in signups, though.  Example being the last game had ideas for if the attendance was high, but could pull off casual if attendance was minimal/basic.  I don't think more complex ideas should be discarded just yet since you might get lucky and get a game with 15-20 people if people from other regions flock in.

On a different note, it was brought up before by you in doing a game based on Clue, but I've been getting ideas for games based on other board games out there, such as Candy Land, Monopoly, and Life.
    My Wintreath Resumé
    Michi
    • Pronouns
      Any except it/its
      Orientation
      Michisexual <3
      Familial House
      Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    Aaron Specter
  • Former Citizen
  • Black Reaper
  • I have an idea I've been thinking about the last few days...

Raiders vs Defenders

This would kind of simulate a peaceful founderless region with natives (villagers), defenders (uhr...defenders), and raiders (wolves). Depending on how many people joined, defenders and raiders would have roles such as spotters (seers), but there would also be a special role that would change hands throughout the game, the Delegate. ???

Each day, players would vote for Delegate along with who they want to lynch, and players would receive an amount of "influence" equal to the number of votes that they got. The delegate would be immune to attacks that night, and would have the opportunity to expend influence to eject or banject someone from the region the next day, if they have the influence to do so. Ejecting would prevent a player from doing being involved in the game during the next night and day, while banjecting would remove them entirely from the game. I'm thinking ejecting would cost 15% of influence everyone has in the game while banjecting would cost 30%, which would give more power to delegates voted in by higher margins or had consistently received a lot of votes throughout the game.

This is just an idea I had though. :)

This looks pretty sweet as an idea but very technical. Figures like 15% and 30% of votes will be very difficult to do with figures like 10 or 11 players.

It did remind me of an existing forum mafia idea though, that of the Kingmaker setup. Basically on day 1 the host randomly chooses one villager (so a native) to be the Kingmaker. This player chooses the King (the equivalent of your Delegate), usually on the advice of other villagers (natives) at the start of the day. The King (Delegate) is the person who selects the execution (your banjection) for the day - votes from other players do not count at all, though it is expected that the King will listen to the villagers. After the King makes the choice for execution (banjection) the game goes to night and the Assassins (Raiders) get to choose a kill. The next day, if the Kingmaker is still alive, they get to choose the King again, and the cycle continues until all Assassins (Raiders) are dead or the Assassins win with the usual win condition. The King could be a villager or Assassin.

The significant differences between your idea and the existing setup I'm quoting are your ejection feature and your election feature.

For the ejection feature, I think such an idea would only be suitable for a much larger game than we're used to for it to have any effect. From what I've seen our day phases here are only 3 or 4 max. I'm not sure if under such circumstances the feature would be worth using for the Delegate. For the election, I think it would probably work if we removed the idea of the Kingmaker and instead have the King/Delegate be completely elected every day. 

Another key difference is that in the setup I'm quoting, the only town power roles are Heroes. Heroes are admired by villagers (aren't Defenders admired by natives?) and if they're chosen to be executed by the King then the King himself dies. In our game, Defenders could similarly cause the Delegate to die if they're chosen for the banjection. Defenders should not have this immunity at night though, for obvious reasons.

I won't comment on the Influence feature... I'm not sure how you could implement that in a way that's easy to understand and fun to play with in the way you're suggesting. I'll try to think on it.

Sorry, I intended for this to be a much shorter post than it is now. My hope is that using some of the ideas in an existing setup will make your suggested game more enjoyable and playable.
    We understand how dangerous a mask can be. We all become what we pretend to be. We all wear masks, and the time comes when we cannot remove them without removing some of our own skin.

Aaron Specter
    • Black Reaper
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Wintreath Nation
    Drexyl Nox
  • Citizen
  • Official Unofficial Wintreath Mascot
  • Angels vs Demons
    Drexyl Nox
    • Official Unofficial Wintreath Mascot
    • Axolotl Friend
    • Citizen
    • Pronouns
      She/Her/Hers
      Wintreath Nation
    Wintermoot
  • Thanks for the suggestions!

Like most themes, some of the ideas I have would have to be scaled down for games with lower players...for example, maybe delegates could eject but couldn't eject and ban, since that would make the game go VERY fast with few players. I imagine we would need at least 12 active players to make it work as I imagine it, to be split into 8 villagers, 2 wolves, and 2 defenders, with 1 wolf and 1 defender being seers. The percentages may need to be fixed as well...I wanted to make it so that delegates that had many votes voted in could utilize the eject and ban ability.

Alternatively, the people would vote for the Delegate and the delegate alone would determine who is lynched, presumably based on input since they would have to be reelected every day phase.

As an aside, defenders are far from admired, lol. Some believe that defenders are just as bad because by participating in R/D they're enabling defenders, and in some cases defender opportunism and failure to abide by their supposed morals have alienated people too.
    1 person likes this post: Michi

Wintermoot
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation
    Michi

• As an aside, defenders are far from admired, lol. Some believe that defenders are just as bad because by participating in R/D they're enabling defenders, and in some cases defender opportunism and failure to abide by their supposed morals have alienated people too.

What Mooty said.  They're admired by other defenders to an extent, but that's really it. There's a reason the derogatory term "Fenda" exists (normally seen in the phrase "dirty fenda.")  Both imperialists and (of course) raiders don't like them at all, and even some types of defenders can't stand other types. Example being, there are defenders that will help anyone being raided regardless of which regions they may be friends with, and those that are completely opportunistic or will only help those that follow in agreement with everything they go for, and won't help regions with allies they don't like...which obviously creates tension between those two groups specifically.
    « Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 06:20:00 PM by Pengu »
    My Wintreath Resumé
    Michi
    • Pronouns
      Any except it/its
      Orientation
      Michisexual <3
      Familial House
      Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    Wintermoot
  • And that doesn't even include the personal politics and the influence of the 'elites'. Suffice to say there's are good reasons there aren't very many defenders outside of TITO these days.
    1 person likes this post: Michi

Wintermoot
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation