Pages: [1]

One Trick To Improve Your Worldbuilding

Kiddian
  • Citizen
  • Flag Designer; Pop Culture Connoisseur
  • Hello! I’m going to give you my advice for worldbuilding. The best advice I can give is to think cause and effect.
    To break it down better, let’s take the pretty common example of a medieval setting, but dragons are common.
    The cause would be that dragons exist in great numbers. The effect is where things get tricky. From here, you need to think about what you introduced on a logic basis. What would logically happen if x happened? In my example, some good effects might be that dragon meat is sold in the markets. If the dragons are really deadly, then maybe the meat is very expensive and/or a delicacy. Maybe killing a dragon is a rite of passage for boys transitioning into manhood, or warriors use dragonscale armor.
    5 people like this post: Svipjoth, Wintermoot, TGN, taulover, Icebergia
    Kiddian
    • Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Straight (I think)
      Wintreath Nation
    Kiddian
  • Citizen
  • If this is overwhelming, then it might help to break it up into categories. For example:

Militarily: what about x could nations use to better fight each other? In my example, perhaps a flamethrower using stuff from dragons

Economically: what could people sell? I’ve already mentioned a few examples here.

Religiously: how does x affect how/what people worship? For example, maybe the antagonist deity is a dragon, or there is a god of dragons.
    3 people like this post: Svipjoth, TGN, taulover
    Kiddian
    • Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Straight (I think)
      Wintreath Nation
    Svipjoth
  • Former Citizen
  • For the Honor and the Glory
  • Kiddian, this is excellent advice and a really good way to not only keep continuity with your nation's cultural aspects (linguistics, environment, social practices, etc), but also make nation creation more engaging.

To further extend onto Kiddian's wisdom, however, this same "cause and effect" rule can also be applied to constructing your nations history, its present, and its future. For instance, consider a nation that is xenophobic; what event(s) caused this shift, and when did this shift occur in history? What's the reason for this xenophobia and are there any exceptions? How would your nation's citizens/leadership act if there was a push to eliminate xenophobia?

Happy Worldbuilding!
    4 people like this post: Wintermoot, TGN, taulover, UMF
    Svipjoth
    • For the Honor and the Glory
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      She/Her/Hers
      Familial House
      Kasten
      Wintreath Nation
    Kiddian
  • Citizen
  • It should be said that this trick doesn’t only apply to national rping, but to all writing/world building 
    2 people like this post: TGN, taulover
    Kiddian
    • Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Straight (I think)
      Wintreath Nation

Pages: [1]