Pages: [1]

New Perks for Donators!

Wintermoot
  • Regional Stability Squad
  • The Greyscale Magi-Monk
  • Every month, I post how much I appreciate our donators. They support Wintreath and the work that I do here, and to date they haven't expected anything in return. Because of them, donations have covered the site's monthly expenses for some time, and we're edging toward the day when donators will have covered all of our expenses going back to the beginning of the community.

But I would like to take Wintreath to the next level...there are a lot of projects we could take on to make us stand out so we're not just a NationStates region with a community attached to it. For example, the Werewolf system we're in the process of building that will serve a community where many aren't involved in NS whatsoever. At the same time, I would like to provide perks to the people who have been generous and who haven't expected anything, so they have something to show for it.

So from this point forward, I will be taking some time every month to consider new perks for our donators. We will not be o putting up paywalls behind things everybody can do now. I am not in the business of taking things away from people. Nor will we give donators an advantage in any of our games...we're not doing pay to win. What it will be doing is allowing cool new things to allow our donators to set themselves apart and be noticed! And in consultation with the Joint Moderation Group, I'm happy to announce our new perks for this month:

New Perk: Custom Forum/Discord Roles
    Previously the domain of private servers and the ops' chosen few, donators who contribute $15/month may request a custom role name and colour for the forums and Discord, which will be maintained so long as they continue to donate at that level monthly. Once they have donated $250 in total (we have a few who already have!), this perk will become permanent, subject to their activity and role availability (ie if we're in danger of running out of Discord role slots and someone is no longer on Discord, we may remove the role, then recreate it upon their return).

New Perk: Donator Titles
    Similar to the nobility system for merit, donators will now have a rank of titles they can climb up, based on their total overall donations! We're starting with a few ranks and will add more to them as needed...thanks to Michi for coming up with both the idea and the list of ranks. :)

$25 - Merchant of [location]
    $50 - Magister of [location]
    $100 - Bishop of [location]
    $250 - Archbishop of [location]
    $500 - Cardinal of [location]

How Perks Will Work
    Perks will be given based on the donation amounts shown on the Donate page, which is based on when I receive the funds. For example, Patreon charges Patrons on the 1st of the month, then usually sends the funds to me on the 5th, meaning that perks based on Patron donations would be given ASAP on the 5th. PayPal donations are usually immediately received, but I may need up to a day to process it into our system for it to show up on the donation page, after which you would receive your perk. When donating, please try to use a name or email I will know or PM/DM me with the information you used so I will know who to credit the donation to.

If You Already Qualify For a Perk
    Please contact me to set up your forum role or to set up your donator title. When wanting to set up a title, please let me know what location you want to use. Preferably it would be a name that fits within Wintreath's setting (fantasy/steampunk winter), but this is not an absolute requirement. You may contact me or any Discord op to set up a custom role on Discord.

If You Already Have a Custom Discord Role
    Anyone that currently has a custom Discord role may keep it permanently, regardless of donation status.

I hope that these and future perks will better show my appreciation for the people who support me in building Wintreath, and perhaps entice a few more people to donate as well. ;) Of course, if you have any questions feel free to post them here or contact me. :)
    6 people like this post: Eastern New England, Altrio, Gerrick, Michi, taulover, Red Mones

I went all the way to Cassadega to commune with the dead
    They said "You'd better look alive"
    Wintermoot
    • Weather: ❄️
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation
    taulover
  • Seeker of Knowledge
  • Really cool, but I find the choice of titles to be very odd.

You start with a commerce title, then it shifts to an academic/archaic government one, and then suddenly it's religious titles? Why are we buying religious titles from the government/Administration? How do you deal with existing and new RP religions that also use those titles? This has some really weird flavor/RP implications.
    1 person likes this post: Gerrick
    Résumé
    Wintreath:
    Citizen: 8 April 2015 - present
    From the Ashes RP Game Master: 29 November 2015 - 24 July 2018
    Skydande Vakt Marshal: 29 November 2015 - 28 February 2017
    Skrifa of the 13th Underhusen: 13 December 2015 - 8 February 2016
    RP Guild Councillor: 9 February 2016 - 6 March 2018
    Ambassador to Lovely: 23 February 2016 - 17 August 2016
    Werewolf VII co-host: 11 May 2016 - 5 June 2016
    Skrifa of the 18th Underhusen: 8 October 2016 - 7 December 2016
    Ambassador to Balder: 1 December 2016 - 1 March 2022
    Skrifa of the 19th Underhusen: 7 December 2016 - 9 February 2017
    Ambassador to the INWU: 11 March 2017 - 1 March 2022
    Ambassador to the Versutian Federation: 18 August 2017 - 22 March 2018
    Thane of Integration: 29 September 2017 - 7 March 2018
    Speaker of the 24th Underhusen: 10 October 2017 - 7 December 2017
    October 2017 Wintreath's Finest: 4 November 2017
    Speaker pro tempore of the 25th Underhusen: 9 December 2017 - 7 February 2018
    Wintreath's Finest of 2017: 6 January 2018
    Werewolf XIV host: 20 January 2018 - 23 February 2018
    February 2018 Wintreath's Finest: 5 March 2018
    Thane of Embassy Dispatches / Foreign Releases and Information / Foreign Dispatches: 7 March 2018 - 15 March 2020
    Speaker of the 28th Underhusen: 10 June 2018 - 7 August 2018
    Second Patriarch of the Noble House of Valeria: 10 October 2018 - present
    Arena Game 6 Host: 28 December 2018 - 9 March 2019
    Librarian of the Underhusen: 29 January 2019 - 12 February 2019
    Speaker of the 32nd Underhusen: 12 February 2019 - 8 April 2019
    March 2019 Wintreath's Finest: 4 April 2019
    Librarian of the Underhusen: 12 April 2019 - 23 October 2020
    Commendation of Wintreath: 24 September 2020
    Peer of the Overhusen: 9 December 2020 - 8 February 2021
    Vice Chancellor of the Landsraad: 26 May 2021 - 15 September 2022
    Arena Game 8 Host: 10 June 2021 - 19 July 2021
    June 2021 Wintreath's Finest: 5 July 2021
    Regional Stability Squad: 28 February 2023 - present
    Minecraft Server Admin: 8 March 2023 - present

Aura Hyperia/New Hyperion:
    Plebeian: 16 April 2014 - 21 July 2014
    Patrician: 21 July 2014 - present
    Adeptus Mechanicus: 24 October 2014 - 16 November 2014
    Co-founder of New Hyperion: 29 October 2014 - present
    Lord of Propaganda: 16 November 2014 - present
    Mapmaker for Official Region RP: 27 November 2015 - present
    WACom Delegate: 11 November 2017 - present
    Other positions: Hyperian Guardsman, Hyperian Marine (Rank: Scout)
    taulover
    • Seeker of Knowledge
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    Wintermoot
  • @taulover: I think the main idea was for these titles to be distinct from the nobility titles we confer for merit. @Michi may be able to give more insight though since he put together the list of titles.

Wintermoot
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation
    Michi
  • Level 167 Caticorn God of Destruction
  • Really cool, but I find the choice of titles to be very odd.

You start with a commerce title, then it shifts to an academic/archaic government one, and then suddenly it's religious titles? Why are we buying religious titles from the government/Administration? How do you deal with existing and new RP religions that also use those titles? This has some really weird flavor/RP implications.
    Going back to the old Maintaining Citizenship thread, I had originally suggested Baron/Baroness as a potential, but Moot was talking about adding it to the regular list of noble titles, and he suggested Merchant of ____ instead, and then moving up to Doge at a higher amount.  At first I was actually a bit iffy on that one, and then suggested some other titles:

I think the only issue I have with the title of Merchant is that it suggests that they're selling something (at least, that's what I'd get from it), which is really just a nitpick.

I do, however, love the idea of a Doge/Magister/Magistrate title.  If we're going to do it in a tiered system, we could always go the religious route (especially with Potatoism being a thing recognized in Wintreath).  Start off with Bishop of (insert town) with a donation amount, move up to Archbishop of (insert town) when they hit a higher amount, and then cap off at Cardinal of (insert town) at an even higher amount.

Since it's a charitable cause that they're supporting, and religious figures are supposed to be seen as charitable and selfless figures...I think it'd be a nice tie-in title tier.

Which then went into this discussion:
    And we could make a Pope rank for the highest donator in order to peer pressure Crush! :P

I kid, I kid.

I really like the religious idea too, though I try to make clear that a donation isn't really charitable in the legal sense. When someone donates, the money goes to me...I pay the bills for the website and the MC server, but if there were any surplus (there hasn't been in the long run of things), it would pretty much go to me.
    Well it's more the trickle effect though.  They know it's going to you, but in a way it's still for a good cause because they know that you're using it to maintain the site, Discord, and regional offshoots (such as the MC server).  And if it goes to you directly, then honestly it's still a good cause because it's giving you something back after all that you've put into the region.

No, it's not charitable in the sense that it's not going to some random organization we know nothing about, but that's okay.  I'd rather know exactly what's happening when I donate my money...rather than giving it to some secretive organization that says where your money goes, but in reality it just goes to lining someone's pockets.

You're at least upfront with "Hey, this will be used to maintain the site and various servers...and sometimes will go to me if maintenance for those areas have already been paid for."

So we know much more where our money is going.  If it pays for site bills, fantastic! If those are paid for and it helps with paying some of your own bills, also great! With as much time and money you put yourself into this place, there's nothing wrong with having a bit of help with it sometimes.

So the short version is that because donations are a charitable thing that people do voluntarily to help out the site (and Moot since he puts a lot into this site), it makes sense to give them such titles since religious figures are supposed to be seen as charitable and selfless (even if that's not always the case).
    « Last Edit: February 21, 2022, 07:27:07 PM by Michi »
    My Wintreath Resumé
    Michi
    • Level 167 Caticorn God of Destruction
    • Wintreath's Official Video Game Enthusiast
    • Pronouns
      Any except it/its
      Orientation
      Michisexual <3
      Familial House
      Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    taulover
  • Seeker of Knowledge
  • Ah, it was that discussion. Merchant/Magister/Doge makes sense to me, and the religious titles thing also makes sense in its own way (though to me it is far more reminiscent of buying religious titles and the long history of corruption in the Church). Mixing the two together, though, is really weird, especially since it's, like, getting two completely different hierarchies and placing the religious one above the secular one.
    2 people like this post: Gerrick, Michi
    Résumé
    Wintreath:
    Citizen: 8 April 2015 - present
    From the Ashes RP Game Master: 29 November 2015 - 24 July 2018
    Skydande Vakt Marshal: 29 November 2015 - 28 February 2017
    Skrifa of the 13th Underhusen: 13 December 2015 - 8 February 2016
    RP Guild Councillor: 9 February 2016 - 6 March 2018
    Ambassador to Lovely: 23 February 2016 - 17 August 2016
    Werewolf VII co-host: 11 May 2016 - 5 June 2016
    Skrifa of the 18th Underhusen: 8 October 2016 - 7 December 2016
    Ambassador to Balder: 1 December 2016 - 1 March 2022
    Skrifa of the 19th Underhusen: 7 December 2016 - 9 February 2017
    Ambassador to the INWU: 11 March 2017 - 1 March 2022
    Ambassador to the Versutian Federation: 18 August 2017 - 22 March 2018
    Thane of Integration: 29 September 2017 - 7 March 2018
    Speaker of the 24th Underhusen: 10 October 2017 - 7 December 2017
    October 2017 Wintreath's Finest: 4 November 2017
    Speaker pro tempore of the 25th Underhusen: 9 December 2017 - 7 February 2018
    Wintreath's Finest of 2017: 6 January 2018
    Werewolf XIV host: 20 January 2018 - 23 February 2018
    February 2018 Wintreath's Finest: 5 March 2018
    Thane of Embassy Dispatches / Foreign Releases and Information / Foreign Dispatches: 7 March 2018 - 15 March 2020
    Speaker of the 28th Underhusen: 10 June 2018 - 7 August 2018
    Second Patriarch of the Noble House of Valeria: 10 October 2018 - present
    Arena Game 6 Host: 28 December 2018 - 9 March 2019
    Librarian of the Underhusen: 29 January 2019 - 12 February 2019
    Speaker of the 32nd Underhusen: 12 February 2019 - 8 April 2019
    March 2019 Wintreath's Finest: 4 April 2019
    Librarian of the Underhusen: 12 April 2019 - 23 October 2020
    Commendation of Wintreath: 24 September 2020
    Peer of the Overhusen: 9 December 2020 - 8 February 2021
    Vice Chancellor of the Landsraad: 26 May 2021 - 15 September 2022
    Arena Game 8 Host: 10 June 2021 - 19 July 2021
    June 2021 Wintreath's Finest: 5 July 2021
    Regional Stability Squad: 28 February 2023 - present
    Minecraft Server Admin: 8 March 2023 - present

Aura Hyperia/New Hyperion:
    Plebeian: 16 April 2014 - 21 July 2014
    Patrician: 21 July 2014 - present
    Adeptus Mechanicus: 24 October 2014 - 16 November 2014
    Co-founder of New Hyperion: 29 October 2014 - present
    Lord of Propaganda: 16 November 2014 - present
    Mapmaker for Official Region RP: 27 November 2015 - present
    WACom Delegate: 11 November 2017 - present
    Other positions: Hyperian Guardsman, Hyperian Marine (Rank: Scout)
    taulover
    • Seeker of Knowledge
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    Wintermoot
  • I had forgotten about that thread. :P

I'm not opposed to making changes if it makes more sense...are there even any titles that we could add to Merchant/Magister/Doge? I'm kinda coming up blank.

Wintermoot
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation

Pages: [1]