Pages: [1]

FAILED(1-3): Right of Repeal Amendment

Wintermoot
  • Regional Stability Squad
  • The Greyscale Magi-Monk
  • The Right of Repeal Amendment has passed the Underhusen, and is now presented to the Overhusen for its review and consideration. Peers may vote Aye, Nay, or Abstain, and while it isn't necessary it is requested that Peers give the reasoning behind their vote when they make it. You may also be interested in viewing the Underhusen's debate topic on this if you haven't already here: http://wintreath.com/forums/index.php?topic=600

1. Title
      1.1 This shall be called the Right of Repeal Amendment.
    2. Provisions
      2.1 This shall add Article VIII - Repealing the Fundamental Laws
      2.2 Article VIII section 1 shall read, "Repealing or invalidating the fundamental parts or any singular part of
           the fundamental laws shall be considered an amendment to the fundamental laws and shall be treated 
           as such.”
    1 person likes this post: Govindia
    « Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 03:20:28 PM by Denth Kasten »

I went all the way to Cassadega to commune with the dead
    They said "You'd better look alive"
    Wintermoot
    • Weather: ❄️
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation
    Butterspring
  • Former Citizen
  • As you said, Moot, this is truly a pointless amendment. Nay.
    Butterspring
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Wintreath Nation
    A. Pierangelli
  • Former Citizen
  • I would have liked seeing it further discussed at the Underhusen, especially a clarification of the circumstances that caused it to be written, but as it stands, I don't quite see how it is a useful amendment. Nay.

Thane of Foreign Affairs
    Thane of Information
    Delegate of the Kingdom of Routelairoux
    A. Pierangelli
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      She/Her/Hers
      Wintreath Nation
    Wintermoot
  • As I understand it, this started when Charax stated on our IRC channel that if he were to assume the throne he would repeal the Fundamental Laws. I'm pretty sure that he was joking, considering that many of his ideas ended up in the Fundamental Laws and he even gave it its name and preamble, but nonetheless some people felt that we needed a "legal" process to keep a future Monarch from simply repealing them on their own.

That's all well and good if they only hold the throne since they wouldn't have the power to enforce that decision irregardless of this amendment, but what if they also hold the founder account and root admin on the forums? If such a person were to simply state that the Fundamental Laws are no longer in effect, what could anyone do about it? The fact of the matter is, when you get involved in a foundered region, you're essentially trusting that the founder will keep his word, and if he doesn't there's not much that can be done about it.

At the end of the day, a Monarch without the founder account couldn't repeal the Fundamental Laws as it is, and no amendment would prevent one with the founder account from doing so if they really wanted. Therefore, this amendment wouldn't accomplish anything so I must vote Nay.

Furthermore, it is now impossible for this Act to garner the votes required for passage, and is thus defeated. However, I will hold the voting open so that Reon may add his vote on the record if he wishes.

I went all the way to Cassadega to commune with the dead
    They said "You'd better look alive"
    Wintermoot
    • Weather: ❄️
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation
    Reon
  • Former Citizen
  • Let's not make this a repeat of my first standing in RA, shall we?

I see more use for this then you guys do, I believe... But it is defeated and so be it.

I vote Aye.
    Face the facts of being what you are, for that is what changes what you are.
    Reon
    • Follow the Truth, whoever that may be.
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Wintreath Nation

Pages: [1]