Pages: [1]

[DISCUSSION] Judicial Panel Amendment Act

Katie
  • Former Citizen
  • The Cheese
  • Quote from: Judicial Panel Amendment Act
    Title
    1. This act is to be cited as the Judicial Panel Amendment Act.

Amendments
    2. Article III, Section 1 of the Fundamental Laws is amended to read as follows:
    Upon the acceptance of a petition filed to the Storting, the Monarch is to form the Judicial Panel. A Normal Judicial Panel consists of one Peer of the Overhusen and two Skrifa of the Underhusen, with the Chief Justice being the Peer of the Overhusen. A Special Judicial Panel consists of three Citizens of the Realm that have met the requirements to sit as a Justice as established by law with the citizen having held citizenship the longest being Chief Justice. All members of a Judicial Panel must be selected randomly. The Monarch can not sit on a Judicial Panel, nor can any party to the case.

3. Article III, Section 3 of the Fundamental Laws is amended to read as follows:
    Rulings may be appealed to the Monarch, who shall decide to vacate, modify, or uphold the ruling of the judicial panel. The Monarch shall have the authority to define procedures and rules for hearing and deciding upon appeals, as well as to delegate these authorities to other officials or offices. Such an appeal is considered a final appeal, and must occur after any other appeals as permitted in law have been exhausted. This does not apply to situations covered under other sections of this Article.

4. A new Section, numbered as Section 1, is added to Article III with all following Sections renumbered as appropriate. The new Section reads as follows:
    Upon the filing of a case to the Storting, a review is to be conducted to determine the Judicial Panel to occur. The procedures for which are established by the Storting. In the event that no procedure has been established, then all petitions are accepted and the panel is to be a Normal Judicial Panel, except for cases where not enough members of the Storting are available that are not parties to the case in which case a Special Judicial Panel is to be formed.
    Part I of my Judicial Reform is here! This adds in two different Judicial Panels (Normal and Special) for cases. The only major change is that Special Panels have been added, and that petitions are now reviewed upon filing (and such review is up to relevant law as passed by the Storting, with none being that a Panel is immediately formed based upon the requirements set forth). It also permits the addition of additional 'appeals' prior to the appeal to the Monarch. It also rewords a few things as well, but beyond that it doesn't change much.

@Wuufu
    @Wintermoot
    @Aragonn
    @Cinciri
    @trader

for the Overhusen's convenience :)

@North
    @Chanku
    @Elbbsas
    @Gabrielle

so the Underhusen may monitor citizen concerns :)
    1 person likes this post: Arenado
    Lady Katherine Ostergaard
    Countess of Osterfell, Matriarch of the Noble House of Ostergaard

Resumé
    Contact
    Discord: Katie#3933

Wintreath
      • Fmr. Thane of WA Affairs
      • Fmr. Jarl of Foreign Affairs
      • Fmr. Skrifa in the 29th-34th & 36th Sessions of the Underhusen
      • Fmr. Officer of Information in the 29th-34th Sessions of the Underhusen
      • Fmr. Speaker Pro Tempore in the 33rd Underhusen
      • Fmr. Thane of Integration
      • Fmr. Thane of Embassies

Other
    • Fmr. Councillor of World Assembly Affairs in Cynosure
    • Fmr. Outreach Officer of the Rejected Realms
    • Fmr. Kaetunet of the 1st House of Commons of the Holy Reich of Bunicken
    • Fmr. Grand Councillor in Grand Central
    • Fmr. Local Councillor in the South Pacific
    Katie
    • The Cheese
    • hoh
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      She/Her/Hers
      Familial House
      Ostergaard
      Wintreath Nation
    Arenado
  • Citizen
  • Some Random Guy
  • Thank you, Katie :]
    1 person likes this post: Katie
    I Hope You Have A Nice Day :]
    Arenado
    • Some Random Guy
    • Comfortably Numb
    • Citizen
    • Pronouns
      Any/All or They/Them
      Familial House
      Eske
      Wintreath Nation
    trader
  • Former Citizen
  • Wintreath's Unofficial Official Merchant
  • Have we fixed the loophole where you could sue yourself?
    1 person likes this post: taulover
    Remember, there is no reason to panic, nothing is on fire.
    trader
    • Wintreath's Unofficial Official Merchant
    • Mercury 'trader' Kestar
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Kaizer
      Wintreath Nation
    Michi
  • Regional Stability Squad
  • Level 167 Caticorn God of Destruction
  • I feel like that's a pretty valid question...but at the same time, why prevent someone from pursuing the very logical case of suing themselves?
    2 people like this post: Imaginative Kane, Katie
    My Wintreath Resumé
    Michi
    • Level 167 Caticorn God of Destruction
    • Wintreath's Official Video Game Enthusiast
    • Pronouns
      Any except it/its
      Orientation
      Michisexual <3
      Familial House
      Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    Wintermoot
  • The Greyscale Magi-Monk
  • What are some cases where one of these special panels would be used, and what happens if a selected Citizen is inactive or just doesn't want to be on a panel? The bill points to a future procedure that I'm guessing would answer these things, but I'd like to have a better understanding of what that procedure would be.

I went all the way to Cassadega to commune with the dead
    They said "You'd better look alive"
    Wintermoot
    • Weather: ❄️
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation
    Chanku
  • Citizen
  • Have we fixed the loophole where you could sue yourself?
    I would say it's already not allowed, however that would be more-so procedural than anything else.

What are some cases where one of these special panels would be used, and what happens if a selected Citizen is inactive or just doesn't want to be on a panel? The bill points to a future procedure that I'm guessing would answer these things, but I'd like to have a better understanding of what that procedure would be.
    Special Panels would be used explicitly when there are not enough members of the Storting to comprise a Judicial Panel impartially, specifically if the case is against the Storting/one of the Houses, if the case is over a law that had been passed by that session (or if the session was comprised of primarily the same people as the session that passed it), and so on.

Additionally, things like Citizens going in active or not wanting to be on a panel is a procedural matter which would be addressed in the Procedural Code I plan on introducing. Inactive Citizens would be removed and replaced, and a Citizen could resign at any time. There would be requirements for being among the Citizens that can be selected for a Special Panel, so that this would be unlikely. So you are right when you say this would be addressed by a future act which I've been in the process of writing. 
    2 people like this post: taulover, trader
    See you later space cowboy.
    Old Signature

Current Positions in Wintreath
    Matriarch of House Kaizer
    Speaker of the 29th Underhusen
    Advisor to the Riksråd
    Positions I've held
    Riksrad(1st Jarl of Information, 3rd Jarl of Foreign Affairs, 2nd Jarl of Defense)
    Member of the WHR
    Speaker of the Underhusen (3rd)
    Speaker Pro Tempore of the Underhusen (1st)
    Underhusen Member (1st-3rd)
    Member of the 5th Overhusen
    Chairman of the 5th Overhusen
    6th Underhusen
    Speaker of the 6th Underhusen
    Mandate Holder for Jarl of Defense
    Member of the 8th Storting (Underhusen)
    Royalty of Wintreath
    Ambassador for the Department of Foreign Affairs.
    Underhusen Terms I've been a part of
    1st Underhusen
    2nd Underhusen
    3rd Underhusen
    6th Underhusen
    8th Underhusen
    Overhusen Terms I've been a part of
    5th Overhusen
    Families I've been a part of
    Kaizer - Matriarch (REFORMED)
    Kestar - Child of Wintermoot (REMOVED)
    Chanku
    Wintermoot
  • Special Panels would be used explicitly when there are not enough members of the Storting to comprise a Judicial Panel impartially, specifically if the case is against the Storting/one of the Houses, if the case is over a law that had been passed by that session (or if the session was comprised of primarily the same people as the session that passed it), and so on.

Additionally, things like Citizens going in active or not wanting to be on a panel is a procedural matter which would be addressed in the Procedural Code I plan on introducing. Inactive Citizens would be removed and replaced, and a Citizen could resign at any time. There would be requirements for being among the Citizens that can be selected for a Special Panel, so that this would be unlikely. So you are right when you say this would be addressed by a future act which I've been in the process of writing.
    If a case was brought against the Storting, and it wanted to tip the scales in its favor, it could simply change the procedural rules to either allow it to judge the case itself as a normal panel. Because of possibilities like that, I would recommend adding a provision to the amendment that changes to the procedures take effect the term after they're passed, so they can't be changed to apply to a current case.

And because of things like this, I think we need to see the procedural piece before we vote on the amendment piece. We need to see the whole package and how it will work together.

I went all the way to Cassadega to commune with the dead
    They said "You'd better look alive"
    Wintermoot
    • Weather: ❄️
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation