Pages: [1]

Engadget: Google Will Always Do Evil

Wintermoot
  • Regional Stability Squad
  • The Greyscale Magi-Monk
  • Full Article: https://www.engadget.com/2018/05/24/google-will-always-do-evil/

At some point last month, Google removed all but one reference to it's long-standing motto "Don't be evil" from its code of conduct. The article goes on to suggest that in order to do what they do in order to be profitable, big tech companies have to do evil. What say you, on Google, the tech industry, and/or the topic in general?

I went all the way to Cassadega to commune with the dead
    They said "You'd better look alive"
    Wintermoot
    • Weather: ❄️
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation
    Evelynx
  • Former Citizen
  • Queen of Love and Beauty
  • I don't know.. I think there are other reasons for them to change the motto than a business-wide decision that it's okay or necessary to be evil.
    Evelynx
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      She/Her/Hers
      Wintreath Nation
    Wintermoot
  • I don't know.. I think there are other reasons for them to change the motto than a business-wide decision that it's okay or necessary to be evil.
    Like what? They had the motto for 18 years and did just fine with it.

Wintermoot
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation
    Evelynx
  • Former Citizen
    Like what? They had the motto for 18 years and did just fine with it.

For one thing, it would be comical if it were the case, like, you might imagine a man with a mustache twirling it. Companies rebrand all the time, it was a mistake to have a motto that they could never change without seeming evil to begin with. Gotta rip off the bandaid sometime.
    1 person likes this post: taulover
    Evelynx
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      She/Her/Hers
      Wintreath Nation
    Wintermoot
  • But the thing is, it wasn't just a motto, but part of Google's internal culture that promoted and enabled employee empowerment, that was actually promoted in How Google Works by then-CEO Eric Schmidt and Jonathan Rosenberg:
    "He (Eric Schmidt) was in a meeting in which they were debating the merits of a change to the advertising system, one that had the potential to be quite lucrative for the company. One of the engineering leads pounded the table and said, "We can't do that, it would be evil." The room suddenly got quiet; it was like a poker game in an old Western, when one player accuses another of cheating and everyone else backs away from the table, waiting for someone to draw. Eric thought, Wow, these guys take these things seriously. A long, sometimes contentious discussion followed and ultimately the change did not go through.
    When Toyota invented its famous kanban system of just-in-time production, one of its quality control rules was that any employee on the assembly line could pull the cord to stop production if he noticed a quality problem. That same philosophy lies behind our simple three-word slogan. When the engineer in Eric's meeting called the proposed new feature "evil", he was pulling the cord to stop production, forcing everyone to assess the proposed feature and determine if it was consistent with the company's values. Every company needs a "Don't be evil," a culteral lodestar that shines over all management layers, product plans, and office-politics
    In fact, those passages are part of an entire chapter on principles for empowering employees, which the book argues is important because empowered employees drive the innovation that made Google a large company. But obviously this isn't the Google of yesteryear. Where before one employee could force discussion and organizational soul-searching over a profitable but 'evil' change, now thousands of employees are apparently powerless to pull the cord on Project Maven, to the effect that several have quit the company over it. If anything, it seems the change better reflects the company that Google is now.

I think that at some point organizations grow so large that they're beyond our ability to effectively enforce principles or values, especially when those principles interfere with an organization's primary reason for being...in the case of a company, usually to make money for its shareholders. I don't think the top brass at Alphabet, Google, or most companies are mustache-twirling villains scheming to stomp on their employees and customers alike, I just think their companies have grown so large that they can't possibly maintain a corporate culture that's counter to the foundation of what a corporation is, and in Google's case it was finally better to admit as much rather than be mocked and ridiculed with their own motto.

As evidenced by my owning How Google Works and having read many other books about the company, I'm actually a fan of Google's earlier corporate culture, and I use the book as a reference sometimes on how to proceed with things here in Wintreath. But I would guess if Wintreath itself had hundreds of thousands of staff even we would have trouble maintaining our community principles. It's just how organizations are as they grow beyond any one person or group's ability to manage.
    1 person likes this post: taulover

Wintermoot
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation