Pages: 1 ... 4 [5] 6 ... 12

EMPOWERED ISSUE #1: "Innocence Lost"

Cinciri
  • Former Citizen
  • Adate'lore of Yaim Rusur
  • Thurmond chuckled as the girl in the back tried to hand out books, where only one person might actually accept one. "Anyone want any music? I've only got stuff in Icelandic but If any of you know of radio channels you are welcome to turn it on, otherwise I'm playing my music" Thurmond said then let out a laugh.
    Cinciri
    • Munit oyacyir te verda be Wintreath!
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Noble House of Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    Fayt
  • Former Citizen
  • Arcadia looks at Maya "thanks for the book" looking at the book "ah something to hit the guys up front with ahahah"

looking at Thurmond "yes scatman ahahah"
    1 person likes this post: Aethelia
    « Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 07:31:54 PM by Fayt »
    Fayt
    • Former Citizen
    Elbbsas
  • Citizen
  • Optical had taken Thurmond up on his offer and had taken a bottle of water. She gave the other female of the group a warm smile. "No thank you, Ms," Optical said. "I was hoping to organise my notes before we arrived."

She glanced to her right and formed a small mirror barrier, attempting to bend and fold it into a bottle holder. Optical soon banished the mirror and replaced it with four small panes. There we go, she thought, placing the bottle between them. A thought abruptly occured to her, and she looked back at the teen with glasses. "Did you want some water as well, Ms? It... it is in poor health to dehydrate, and we shall be here for some time. In a car. Van. Liquids are generally considered to be good for you." Optical tried not to wince at her own words.
    1 person likes this post: Aethelia
    Elbbsas
    • Citizen
    • Familial House
      Kaizer
      Wintreath Nation
    Cinciri
  • Former Citizen
  • Immediately disregarding the joke statement from Arcadia, Thurmond looked in the rear view just it time to notice the woman in the back utilizing her powers. Figuring that an hour ride would be better spent analyzing what the capabilities were of each of his coworkers, be began talking, "So, Mr, what was it, Arcadia? Has his sword and armor, and you make, rectangles? Is there anyone else here with valid combat powers?" He asked then paused realizing he never quite explained his powers either, "As for me, I am essentially a living generator and conductor of electricity."
    Cinciri
    • Munit oyacyir te verda be Wintreath!
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Noble House of Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    Aethelia
  • Former Citizen
  • Ethereal Dream
  • Excellent, potential friends.

(To Arcadia) "Ah, for that, you'll want this... Advanced Physics. Very thick. Should help you to... do those physics experiments, just as you stated."

(To Optical) "I am Maya. Maya Saraswati. Though perhaps I should go by Mesmer in this group?"
    Maya accepts the water.
    "Dehydration: Symptoms include dry mouth, lack of focus, dizziness, and headaches... can quickly become more severe with time. Something to be avoided. So I thank you for this."
    Overhearing the strong looking guy asking about powers, and mentioning rectangles, gave Maya an idea.
    "I made this for you."
    Maya creates an illusionary thank you card.
    "I'm saving the real deceptions for those I don't like, this is just a small example of what I can do."
    1 person likes this post: Fayt
    Aethelia
    • Ethereal Dream
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      She/Her/Hers
      Familial House
      No
      Wintreath Nation
    Justinian Ezkantion
  • Former Citizen
  • (Not) Not the Fourth King of Ainur
  • Since the introductions among this group were seemingly going like an Alcoholics Anonymous meeting, he figured he should do it in the same fashion.
    "My name's Dan, I blow shit up, and I'm 1 minute sober. Speaking of which..."
    Daniel grabbed another beer out of the cooler and started chugging.
    Justinian Ezkantion
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Wintreath Nation
    Elbbsas
  • Citizen
  • "Good to meet all of you," Optical said formally. "I am Optical: the great producer of 'rectangles.' " In a more cheery voice she added, "They can be larger and make effective shields, and I can throw them at people. Mirrors do enjoy being multipurpose. Though, I feel that that is not quite what you meant by valid for combat." Note to self: find out how conductive my panes are to electricity and if they are a valid target for 'Dan's' explosions.

Optical then reached out to take the card Mesmer offered, pausing at the mention of deceptions. Oh, now that is interesting. A temporary construct, or illusion, or perhaps like a magician she is distracting from the true magic? "Are these deceptions tactile?" Optical asked curiously, and deliberately attempted to tap on the face of the card.
    Elbbsas
    • Citizen
    • Familial House
      Kaizer
      Wintreath Nation
    Fayt
  • Former Citizen
  • "ah thank you Maya" throwing the book at Daniel "Oops sorry"
    Fayt
    • Former Citizen
    Justinian Ezkantion
  • Former Citizen
    the book hit the back of Daniel's seat and fell to the van's equivalent of the ground.
    Daniel was barely controlling his desire to melt this fucker's face off and twist his little pansy ass sword up his ass, but that probably wouldn't be contributing to his salary, so this time he gave Arcadia a warning.
    "Listen up you little shit, if you throw one more fucking thing at me I'll blow your legs off, drive to Nevada, and throw you in the middle of the Mojave, see how far you get before the buzzards peck your eyes out."
    Justinian Ezkantion
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Wintreath Nation
    Fayt
  • Former Citizen
    the book hit the back of Daniel's seat and fell to the van's equivalent of the ground.
    Daniel was barely controlling his desire to melt this fucker's face off and twist his little pansy ass sword up his ass, but that probably wouldn't be contributing to his salary, so this time he gave Arcadia a warning.
    "Listen up you little shit, if you throw one more fucking thing at me I'll blow your legs off, drive to Nevada, and throw you in the middle of the Mojave, see how far you get before the buzzards peck your eyes out."

"ah funny guy" Arcadia laughing hard "Meh you think you would win? I don't need my sword to beat you" Arcadia looking calm as hell "are we there yet?"
    Fayt
    • Former Citizen
    Aethelia
  • Former Citizen
  • Ethereal Dream
  • [I know the original sign-up topic said characters can die, but after these last posts I'm wondering if that can happen before we even encounter any designated NPC enemies.
    If someone manages to die during the character introductions, will the replacement character suddenly appear in the newly free seat in the van? While it's still moving?]
    1 person likes this post: Ashton Mercer
    « Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 09:18:01 PM by Aethelia »
    Aethelia
    • Ethereal Dream
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      She/Her/Hers
      Familial House
      No
      Wintreath Nation
    Justinian Ezkantion
  • Former Citizen

"ah funny guy" Arcadia laughing hard "Meh you think you would win? I don't need my sword to beat you" Arcadia looking calm as hell "are we there yet?"
    "I'd recommend you shut your god damned mouth before I blow a hole in that pretty little costume you've got on."
    Justinian Ezkantion
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Wintreath Nation
    Fayt
  • Former Citizen

"I'd recommend you shut your god damned mouth before I blow a hole in that pretty little costume you've got on."

"Mmm"
    Fayt
    • Former Citizen
    Ashton Mercer
  • Former Citizen
  • icy hot
  • "are we there yet?"
    Yes. Yes you are.

Quicker than some might have expected, the fine city of San Francisco springs up around them. The air is noticeably cooler and the buildings are noticeably nicer than in Sacramento or Vegas, but that was of no importance to our... heroes?

The FBI had arranged to meet whatever menagerie of superhuman mercenaries showed up first at a coffee shop near UCSF Benioff Children's Hospital, where a disguised Knox was supposedly receiving treatment for gunshot wound complications. However, the issue immediately became apparent: an inordinate number of SFPD police cars and armored SWAT vehicles surrounded the buildings and were closing off streets. A number of news crews were also there, and as you crawled by the redirected traffic, you could make out one anchorwoman's sound bite:
    "...as the hostage situation enters its third hour, people inside can still be seen moving, despite police warnings..."

You managed to find some parking near the cafe and entered. The place was dark except for a few table lights and the glow of several computers, and its coffee bar was operating with a skeleton staff. The shop had obviously been commandeered by the FBI as a staging area moments before closing. Agent McGrath and several other agents from the Sacramento meeting were there, along with a stripe-suited man they hadn't seen before, all looming over a laptop.
    "Again, I don't think you understand," McGrath growled into the microphone. "What you are doing here is not just wrong, but it is fucking illegal."
    "And again, I don't think you understand," came a voice from the other line in a snide tone, "we don't care. As long as 'Carter', or whatever this kid is going by now, is alive and not dead or thoroughly incapacitated, he poses a direct threat to our PD and to our city."
    "He wouldn't be nearly as much of a  threat if you would just let us do our damn jobs and get over your insane blue-blood revenge quest."
    "You can bitch all you want," the voice replied smugly. "The fact is, if our lawyers can't block whatever Super Act bullshit you pull to try and punish us, our bloated police fund can take it. We're doing this whether you want us to or not, and we better hear a god damn 'thank you' once we're done."
    The phone clicked, and McGrath gave a long sigh. "Unbelievable. So this is what this god forsaken country has come to..." He looked up at the superhuman squad and gave a sad smile.
    "I never thought I would say this, but thank God you all are here. Please, take a seat. We got a lot to cover and not a lot of time to cover it."

After getting some excellent coffees, McGrath started his briefing.
    "So, we've got good news, bad news, and ugly news. The good news is that we've managed to find Knox and identify his kidnappers."
    Mugshots of two women and a man appeared on the screen they were all viewing.
    "Derek Ortiz, Sandra Gottfried, and Keisha Evans. All terrorists, wanted on numerous charges from petty theft to bombing government buildings and conspiracy to commit treason. Classic domestic rebels, intent on nothing but overthrow and destruction. Ms. Evans is also a superhuman, capable of shapeshifting into a dragon. Yes, that's right, a dragon, complete with leathery wings, bullet-resistant scales, and fiery breath. You can read their dossiers in front of you if you want. Knox apparently had his hair dyed black, and is going under the name of Keisha's long missing son Carter Evans to avoid suspicion. We also know that Knox is alive and, aside from his recent emergency hospitalization, well. Well enough to be taken into stronger police custody, in fact."
    McGrath coughed. "The bad news is that Andrew, now Carter, is apparently now with them of his own accord. We have a source on the inside that has been feeding us this information, and it says that the explosion at the hospital was the result of a brief fight between Keisha and Andrew following a misunderstanding, but after escaping the hospital and having a chat, these terrorists have won him over to their side, at least for now. This could prove to make extracting Andrew and returning him to normal society more difficult. Luckily, we anticipated this, and we asked our CIA liaison to come prepared."
    The man in the striped suit smiled and nodded, exceedingly uncomfortable.
    "Uh, h-hi. T-that's me, Agent Jenkins, CIA. I- I'll be helping you with your g-gear as soon as the, uh, the briefing is done."

McGrath nodded and pursed his lips. "Thank you, Jenkins. And now, on to the ugly news. It seems as though the San Francisco Police Department has gone rouge against the US government. As soon as the local cops figured out that the infamous cop-killer Andrew Knox was in their city, they immediately settled on an illegal 'KOS', or 'kill-on-sight' order on him and his kidnappers. However, Andrew and his compatriots managed to get disguised and into the hospital for treatment before the police could manage to pump them all full of lead, and they can't just stroll into a children's hospital and start a bullet festival without far too many civilians asking questions and filing lawsuits. As such, they've fabricated a hostage situation in order to have an excuse to launch a police raid, where 'Carter' is planned to become 'a tragic casualty of the gun battle between the brave police force and the evil hostage-takers'. Of course, we tried to intervene and take over the situation ourselves, but at the last minute the SFPD chief broke out some obscure state and city laws that allow them to block or ignore federal authority in certain situations, which is exactly what they've done. We would likely win this in court and get the blocks removed, but we don't have the time to get a judge involved. That would take days, and the SFPD are doing their raid tonight, and soon. We need you to go in there before they do, get Knox alive, and apprehend the terrorists, all while keeping the SFPD at bay and out of our hair. If you succeed, you will be rewarded. Of course, if you fail and get killed or arrested, we'll deny any and all involvement and you will be completely on your own, so don't let that happen."
    He nodded to Jenkins. "Before we show you the equipment you are going to be using during your mission, are there any questions?"
    1 person likes this post: Justinian Ezkantion
    « Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 10:07:34 PM by Ashton Mercer »
    Ashton Mercer
    • icy hot
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Wintreath Nation
    Justinian Ezkantion
  • Former Citizen
  • "I got a couple questions: 'who the fuck names their kid Keisha?' and 'how do I piss off the dragonborn?'"
    Justinian Ezkantion
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Wintreath Nation

Pages: 1 ... 4 [5] 6 ... 12