Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Ask the candidates! (AKA Candidate debate topic)

Chanku
  • Citizen
  • Yes, however Gov as has been explained to you before, that's for a democratic government...we are far from a democratic government. We are more of a dictatorship with Democratic Elements. Hell only one part of our government is even elected...
    See you later space cowboy.
    Old Signature

Current Positions in Wintreath
    Matriarch of House Kaizer
    Speaker of the 29th Underhusen
    Advisor to the Riksråd
    Positions I've held
    Riksrad(1st Jarl of Information, 3rd Jarl of Foreign Affairs, 2nd Jarl of Defense)
    Member of the WHR
    Speaker of the Underhusen (3rd)
    Speaker Pro Tempore of the Underhusen (1st)
    Underhusen Member (1st-3rd)
    Member of the 5th Overhusen
    Chairman of the 5th Overhusen
    6th Underhusen
    Speaker of the 6th Underhusen
    Mandate Holder for Jarl of Defense
    Member of the 8th Storting (Underhusen)
    Royalty of Wintreath
    Ambassador for the Department of Foreign Affairs.
    Underhusen Terms I've been a part of
    1st Underhusen
    2nd Underhusen
    3rd Underhusen
    6th Underhusen
    8th Underhusen
    Overhusen Terms I've been a part of
    5th Overhusen
    Families I've been a part of
    Kaizer - Matriarch (REFORMED)
    Kestar - Child of Wintermoot (REMOVED)
    Chanku
    Govindia
  • Former Citizen
  • That may be so, but it doesn't have to be that way, and there is always room to reform and improve.  @Aaron Specter brought up a specific point about reforming the Fundamental Laws.  They are not perfect and there is always room for improvement.
    Democratic Republic of South Nivogal
    Citizenship Granted 24 Dec. 2013!

------------------------------------------------
    Other Areas of NS:
    00000 A World Power: 1st Sgt, A World Power Regional Defence Force
    Celtica: Associate Advisor
    The Kodiak Republic: Member, The Kodiak Republic General Assembly

Govindia
    • Jedi Master
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Auditore
      Wintreath Nation
    Admirable though checks and balances are, I think they are largely foreign to Wintreath's system. As far as I know, it was explicitly set up with certain powers reserved to the Monarch exclusively. Therefore (and I hope Wintermoot will forgive the comparison!) we should be thinking more along the lines of Saudi Arabia's political system rather than the USA's.

If the Executive is the dominant branch and that is entrenched in the Fundamental Laws, then you need to get the executive branch to audit itself rather than waste political capital on forcing it through the legislature against the wishes of the executive.
    Augustus Anumia
    Govindia
  • Former Citizen
  • Admirable though checks and balances are, I think they are largely foreign to Wintreath's system. As far as I know, it was explicitly set up with certain powers reserved to the Monarch exclusively. Therefore (and I hope Wintermoot will forgive the comparison!) we should be thinking more along the lines of Saudi Arabia's political system rather than the USA's.

If the Executive is the dominant branch and that is entrenched in the Fundamental Laws, then you need to get the executive branch to audit itself rather than waste political capital on forcing it through the legislature against the wishes of the executive.

I never envisioned reform to be cookie cutter (although I do love cookies), and I believe reform should be modifiable like cookie dough instead. 

I am open to suggestions and I'm willing to work with anyone and everyone in a reasonable manner on this. 
    Democratic Republic of South Nivogal
    Citizenship Granted 24 Dec. 2013!

------------------------------------------------
    Other Areas of NS:
    00000 A World Power: 1st Sgt, A World Power Regional Defence Force
    Celtica: Associate Advisor
    The Kodiak Republic: Member, The Kodiak Republic General Assembly

Govindia
    • Jedi Master
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Auditore
      Wintreath Nation
    Wintermoot
  • Regional Stability Squad
  • The Greyscale Magi-Monk
  • I do believe there does need to be some reform in that area at best, yes.  However, keep in mind that it also depends on the Overhusen willing to accept said reform.

For example, this region still does not have citizens protected against either ex post facto laws or bills of attainder.  In addition, I would like to amend the Sunshine law, to allow for the declassification for the first six months of Riksrad discussions since Wintreath was founded. 

I also want to have it required for Riksrad members to submit department reports every month, or two months depending on tenure, as to what has been going on, to monitor the activity of their Jarlships, since there has been concern about Jarlships being active.

Chanku is correct in this matter, the Riksråd is accountable only to the Monarch by intention. Unlike most other regions, our government wasn't designed for checks and balances that would insert politics into the region. It's designed for the branches to conduct their own affairs as they please, and occasionally to require that both branches agree on a course of action, such as a revocation of Citizenship. Other than the indirect role of the Overhusen in representing the Monarchy, there is little to no crossover between the branches. This allows the Storting to take the lead in some issues of community affairs, such as Citizenship requirements, while the Monarchy is free to lead the region in a unified direction without the bickering and politics that are rampant in many other regions.

Further, there's never been any need for oversight into the Monarchy's affairs...we're lucky that we have a wonderful Cabinet that's one of the most active in NationStates. I work my ass off every day for this region, and I expect my Cabinet to do the same. Outside of these sorts of thought exercises during elections, the lack of need for such a thing has never been questioned. I've made it clear from the day the region was founded that I would head a strong, centralized Monarchy, and I hope that the progress the region has made shows that it was the right way to go.

Additionally, the Sunshine policy is not a law, but a royal decree. The ability for the Storting to amend royal decrees was removed when the Clarification of Royal Decrees Amendment Act was ratified.

With all due respect Govindia, since when is it the FRA's duty to maintain the activity of its member regions? The sovereignty of its member regions has always been of the utmost importance to the FRA. That is one of its core values. AWP is responsible for its own activity, as with every other member region.

In fairness, as I pointed out during the recent FRA debate in Lazarus, the FRA does promise prospective members that joining will make them more active and relevant...they promise that they will assist in the development of their member regions along with their military forces. That's why they have a regional development officer. I know this because I've been the recipient of three FRA invites...two for Spiritus when I was its President and one for Wintreath.

I went all the way to Cassadega to commune with the dead
    They said "You'd better look alive"
    Wintermoot
    • The Greyscale Magi-Monk
    • Weather: ❄️
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation
    Michi
  • Level 167 Caticorn God of Destruction
  • Alright, I'll think of some questions to ask the other candidates individually, but I do have a typical political question to ask each of you in here:

*What makes you the ideal candidate?  What are some personal goals that you hope to accomplish as a Skrifa?

To answer my own question, I think I'm an ideal candidate because I'm an active member that really cares about Wintreath as a whole.  I'm exceptionally patient and civil, and I do my best to get along with everyone in a group, while still holding my own opinions.  I own up to the mistakes that I make and do everything in my power to correct those mistakes in the best way possible.  I also attempt to go the route that is the most fair for everyone, and with the best interests of everyone in mind.  I take others opinions and thoughts into account before making a decision on something.  If someone has a better alternative to something than I've come up with, I highly encourage them to explore it a bit more so that we can use it.

Some personal goals I hope to accomplish are seeing the Judicial system perfected.  As I stated before, I think we're very much on the right path with getting it the way it needs to be, and I'd like to see it perfected very soon.  I'd also hope for getting any other discrepancies and loopholes in procedural affairs and laws fixed up so that the wording is more clear cut rather than ambiguous and open to interpretation...which is still a slight issue in certain areas.
    My Wintreath Resumé
    Michi
    • Wintreath's Official Video Game Enthusiast
    • Pronouns
      Any except it/its
      Orientation
      Michisexual <3
      Familial House
      Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    Drexyl Nox
  • Citizen
  • Official Unofficial Wintreath Mascot
  • This is the MOST IMPORTANT question you will ever have to answer....

FISH?
    Drexyl Nox
    • Official Unofficial Wintreath Mascot
    • Axolotl Friend
    • Citizen
    • Pronouns
      She/Her/Hers
      Wintreath Nation
    Michi
  • It depends on what kind of fish.
    My Wintreath Resumé
    Michi
    • Pronouns
      Any except it/its
      Orientation
      Michisexual <3
      Familial House
      Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    Emoticonius
  • Former Citizen
  • Supreme Grand Admiral of The Emoticonian Army
    *What makes you the ideal candidate?  What are some personal goals that you hope to accomplish as a Skrifa?

Depends on how you define "ideal". I am by nomeans perfect. I am...adequate. That seems the best choice of words. Right now, I am what Wintreath needs me to be.

FISH?

Fish are good.
    “I support anyone’s right to be who they want to be. My question is: to what extent do I have to participate in your self-image?” - Dave Chappelle
    7:42 PM <Govindia> eh, i like the taste of nuts in my mouth

Potential clients should PM or Query Emoticonius
    Emoticonius
    • Crasher Endorsed, Native Approved
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Kaizer
      Representing
      Wintreath Nation
    Michi

Depends on how you define "ideal". I am by nomeans perfect. I am...adequate. That seems the best choice of words. Right now, I am what Wintreath needs me to be.

Please elaborate.  Why are you a better choice for a candidate than anyone else here?  What separates you and makes you more unique compared to the others running?

Why should people vote for you?  What kind of candidate would they be voting for?
    My Wintreath Resumé
    Michi
    • Pronouns
      Any except it/its
      Orientation
      Michisexual <3
      Familial House
      Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    BraveSirRobin
  • My Dear Jean-Luc!
  • FISH?

Salmon? Or Trout?

And Pengu, honestly I'm not sure I would say I'm the ideal candidate. I'm a greenhorn, so I guess the pros would be that I've got a completely open mind, I could think outside the box easily and can learn quickly. Cons would be I am not that experienced in Wintreath politics, but I like to look at it as having a clean canvas to work with, and I hope my fellow citizens agree. :)
    1 person likes this post: Michi
    Sir Robin of Camelot

"Whilst the men of Caenia were scattered far and wide, pillaging and destroying, Romulus came upon them with an army, and after a brief encounter taught them that anger is futile without strength."  -Titus Livius, Ab Urbe Condita

(Ravenclaw is the best!)

Résumé/A History of Robin on NationStates
    Wintreath:
    Citizen: 4 June 2015 - present
    Member of the Hvitt Riddaral: 21 August 2015 - present
    Strifa of the 12th Underhusen: 8 October 2015 - 13 December 2015
    Speaker Pro Tem of the 13th Underhusen: 13 December 2015 - 8 February 2016
    Speaker Pro Tem of the 14th Underhusen: 8 February 2016 - 8 April 2016
    Speaker of the 16th Underhusen: 10 June 2016 - 11 August 2016
    Ambassador to Europeia: 5 December 2016 - present
    RP Guild Councillor: 23 February 2017 - present
    Ambassador to The North Pacific: 11 March 2017 - present
    Speaker of the 21st Underhusen: 10 April 2017 - 10 June 2017
    Delegate of Wintreath: 10 June 2017 - 15 March 2020
    Strifa of the 23rd Underhusen: 10 August 2017 - 10 November 2017
    Thane of Ambassadors: 10 October 2018 - 10 December 2018
    Commendation of Wintreath: Sept 24 2020

New Hyperion:
    Citizen: 27 November 2015 - present
    Patrician: 12 January 2016 - present
    Lord of Development: 5 February 2016 - present

(I stole this format from tau, but who am I not to copy a great system? :-) )

Ne Crustumini quidem atque Antemnates pro ardore iraque Caeninensium satis se impigre movent; ita per se ipsum nomen Caeninum in agrum Romanum impetum facit. Sed effuse vastantibus fit obvius cum exercitu Romulus levique certamine docet vanam sine viribus iram esse.
    BraveSirRobin
    • My Dear Jean-Luc!
    • We Meet Again, Mon Capitaine!!
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      The Noble House of Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    Emoticonius
  • Former Citizen
  • Please elaborate.  Why are you a better choice for a candidate than anyone else here?  What separates you and makes you more unique compared to the others running?

Why should people vote for you?  What kind of candidate would they be voting for?

Well I have more experience both with legislation and Wintrean politics than the "greenhorns". As for the other candidates, they are either more experienced in Wintrean politics or in the case of Chanku, a far better legislator than I. Though all of the candidates, myself included, are not without their flaws. I will admit that I am a better choice than some candidates (better qualified) but I can admit that some of the candidates are better than me (better qualified.)

I could not hope to claim to be a better choice than some of my opponents. I run an honest campaign. Always have, always will.
    1 person likes this post: Michi
    “I support anyone’s right to be who they want to be. My question is: to what extent do I have to participate in your self-image?” - Dave Chappelle
    7:42 PM <Govindia> eh, i like the taste of nuts in my mouth

Potential clients should PM or Query Emoticonius
    Emoticonius
    • Crasher Endorsed, Native Approved
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Kaizer
      Representing
      Wintreath Nation
    Laurentus
  • Count of Highever
  • I am not "more ideal" than any members. I will not be arrogant enough to say that I am.

I will say that I am an experienced member, and I still have a few useful ideas to contribute. I'm also one of the few not so preoccupied with the judicial system, with an emphasis on the warning system.
    In die donker ure skink net duiwels nog 'n dop, 
    Satan sit saam sy kinders en kyk hoe kom die son op. 
    • Count of Highever
    Laurentus
    • Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      The Noble House of Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    Michi
  • I am not "more ideal" than any members. I will not be arrogant enough to say that I am.

I will say that I am an experienced member, and I still have a few useful ideas to contribute. I'm also one of the few not so preoccupied with the judicial system, with an emphasis on the warning system.

I guess I should have said "an" ideal candidate.  :P
    My Wintreath Resumé
    Michi
    • Pronouns
      Any except it/its
      Orientation
      Michisexual <3
      Familial House
      Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    Chanku
  • Citizen
  • FISH?
    Depends on what is being done with the fish. If it's eating, no thanks, otherwise sure.

*What makes you an ideal candidate?  What are some personal goals that you hope to accomplish as a Skrifa?
    Well while I may not be the ideal candidate, as I can get passionate when it comes to law, I know how to draft good laws, at least in design (Grammar wise they could be a bit better). I also seem to have the most knowledge on Wintrean Law, and this past session I've been asked by the Underhusen the legality of certain laws and improvements to them. I've also written, helped write, or influenced most of the laws passed, and I've been called the  one of the best legislators by Emoticonus/CoS and tatte several times, once by CoS in this thread.
    See you later space cowboy.
    Old Signature

Current Positions in Wintreath
    Matriarch of House Kaizer
    Speaker of the 29th Underhusen
    Advisor to the Riksråd
    Positions I've held
    Riksrad(1st Jarl of Information, 3rd Jarl of Foreign Affairs, 2nd Jarl of Defense)
    Member of the WHR
    Speaker of the Underhusen (3rd)
    Speaker Pro Tempore of the Underhusen (1st)
    Underhusen Member (1st-3rd)
    Member of the 5th Overhusen
    Chairman of the 5th Overhusen
    6th Underhusen
    Speaker of the 6th Underhusen
    Mandate Holder for Jarl of Defense
    Member of the 8th Storting (Underhusen)
    Royalty of Wintreath
    Ambassador for the Department of Foreign Affairs.
    Underhusen Terms I've been a part of
    1st Underhusen
    2nd Underhusen
    3rd Underhusen
    6th Underhusen
    8th Underhusen
    Overhusen Terms I've been a part of
    5th Overhusen
    Families I've been a part of
    Kaizer - Matriarch (REFORMED)
    Kestar - Child of Wintermoot (REMOVED)
    Chanku