Pages: [1] 2 ... 4

Ask the candidates! (AKA Candidate debate topic)

Chanku
  • Citizen

• The candidates go to their podiums as they get ready to be asked questions and to enter a debate. Pictured are most of the current candidates running for office.

Ladies, Gentlemen, Penguins, and Toucans it is that time of the elections again! It is the debate time. In this thread any citizen can ask a question, which is to be assumed to go to all of the candidates, who then may answer them. Please note that, questions on a candidate's general policy should probably be put in their campaign topics unless it is clarification on an answer posted here.

Usually the person opening the thread will ask a starter question, but seeing as I am a candidate I don't feel it would be appropriate for me to ask any questions, at least any starting questions.
    « Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 03:56:44 AM by Chanku »
    See you later space cowboy.
    Old Signature

Current Positions in Wintreath
    Matriarch of House Kaizer
    Speaker of the 29th Underhusen
    Advisor to the Riksråd
    Positions I've held
    Riksrad(1st Jarl of Information, 3rd Jarl of Foreign Affairs, 2nd Jarl of Defense)
    Member of the WHR
    Speaker of the Underhusen (3rd)
    Speaker Pro Tempore of the Underhusen (1st)
    Underhusen Member (1st-3rd)
    Member of the 5th Overhusen
    Chairman of the 5th Overhusen
    6th Underhusen
    Speaker of the 6th Underhusen
    Mandate Holder for Jarl of Defense
    Member of the 8th Storting (Underhusen)
    Royalty of Wintreath
    Ambassador for the Department of Foreign Affairs.
    Underhusen Terms I've been a part of
    1st Underhusen
    2nd Underhusen
    3rd Underhusen
    6th Underhusen
    8th Underhusen
    Overhusen Terms I've been a part of
    5th Overhusen
    Families I've been a part of
    Kaizer - Matriarch (REFORMED)
    Kestar - Child of Wintermoot (REMOVED)
    Chanku
    Wintermoot
  • Regional Stability Squad
  • The Greyscale Magi-Monk
  • Should Wintreath join the FRA?

I went all the way to Cassadega to commune with the dead
    They said "You'd better look alive"
    Wintermoot
    • Weather: ❄️
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation
    Chanku
  • Citizen
  • Personally I don't think we should. The FRA is a nice organization, however both as a legislator and the Jarl of Defense, I find it something Wintreath should not join. Further Wintreath gains no real benifit from joining the FRA besides being apart of some 'defender club'. Further we would be somewhat restricted by the FRA as well in some ways.

Generally speaking we gain nothing by joining the the FRA and we loose a bit.
    Old Signature

Advisor to the Riksråd
    Positions I've held
    Riksrad(1st Jarl of Information, 3rd Jarl of Foreign Affairs, 2nd Jarl of Defense)
    Member of the WHR
    6th Underhusen
    Royalty of Wintreath
    1st Underhusen
    2nd Underhusen
    3rd Underhusen
    6th Underhusen
    8th Underhusen
    5th Overhusen
    Chanku
    Michi
  • Level 167 Caticorn God of Destruction
  • I won't say we should or shouldn't, since I don't know the complete details of what joining the FRA entails.  But I'd want to see just that: the complete list of exactly what we'd be doing, what we'd have to change in our policies, or anything that could potentially and negatively affect us in the long run before saying we should.  If we're essentially just a glorified group that just gets together, then I don't see the harm.  If we have to change things about our structure or whatnot to accommodate our new "friends," then I'd say we're better off being a more independent defensive force that willingly teams up with other people.
    My Wintreath Resumé
    Michi
    • Wintreath's Official Video Game Enthusiast
    • Pronouns
      Any except it/its
      Orientation
      Michisexual <3
      Familial House
      Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    Wintermoot
  • Another question...should Wintreath remain defender, switch to some other alignment, or withdraw from R/D entirely?

Just to make it interesting. :P

I went all the way to Cassadega to commune with the dead
    They said "You'd better look alive"
    Wintermoot
    • Weather: ❄️
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation
    Chanku
  • Citizen
  • Well as I do have a Conflict of Interest in this, as I am the Jarl of Defense, personally I think Wintreath should stay in R/D. However if we were to change alignments I would prefer to be imperialist at most instead of swapping to the other side. However I believe we should remain defender at this time.
    Old Signature

Advisor to the Riksråd
    Positions I've held
    Member of the WHR
    6th Underhusen
    Royalty of Wintreath
    1st Underhusen
    2nd Underhusen
    3rd Underhusen
    6th Underhusen
    8th Underhusen
    5th Overhusen
    Chanku
    Crushita
  • Citizen
  • The Potato Pope
  • On the first question. It all depends really, we should look at it from more then a military standpoint. If we don't have to change, or the changes are cosmetic/painless, then sure we  should join, why? Because it can help us further our influence in foreign affairs by giving us a link to other regions.

On the second question, it all really depends on the amount of interest in the region, and how much the administration is willing to support it. If its more of a drain and time and resources to set it up then its giving to Wintreath, we might as well scrap it entirely, on the other hand, if the benefit to Wintreath is more then the cost, we should keep it. The problem comes from how hard it is to gauge this. If we do keep it however, I would support keeping us as defender.
    Spoiler
    Held Positions
    Wintreath
    Skirfa of the 12th, 17th, 18th, 19th, 20th, 21st, 22nd, 23rd, 25th, 26th, 27th and 29th Sessions of the Underhusen
    Former Thane of Information
    His Majesty's Court Pet
    Kingdom of Great Britain
    Former Privy Councilor
    Former Prime Minister of the Kingdom of Great Britain
    Former Deputy Prime Minister of the Kingdom of Great Britain x2
    Former Member of Parliament of the Kingdom of Great Britain x4
    Former Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Kingdom of Great Britain x2
    Former Lord of Parliament of the Kingdom of Great Britain x4
    Formerly His Royal Highness, the Viscount Telcontar of Whitby
    Ainur
    Former King of Ainur
    Former Minister of Culture of Ainur x2
    Former Minister of Foreign Affairs of Ainur x2
    Former Senator of Ainur x2
    Former Deputy Speaker of Ainur
    Other Regions
    Former Prime Minister of the British Isles
    Former Prime Minister of the New United Kingdom
    Former Culture Minister of the New United Kingdom
    Former Member of the Parliament of the Canadian Kingdom
    Former Privy Councillor in the Canadian Kingdom
    Former Member of Parliament of the United Kingdom
    [/center]
    • The Potato Pope
    Crushita
    • Historically Accurate
    • Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      The House of Lancaster-Stuart
      Representing
      Wintreath Nation
    Michi
  • Like Chanku, I have a conflict of interest being as I come from a Defender background.  I think to satisfy being a region that actually does shit and as far as wanting to keep our allies, we should stay in the R/D business.  That also being the case, since our mission is more about being a welcoming force the embraces everyone even if they were shunned by other regions, I think we should stay as being Defenders.  I have nothing wrong with Raiders (if they do it fairly), or anyone that is within that spectrum...but I feel like defending is something that falls more within Wintreath's mission.  Defenders help people.  Wintreath helps people.  It's pretty much a given if we stay in the R/D business.
    My Wintreath Resumé
    Michi
    • Wintreath's Official Video Game Enthusiast
    • Pronouns
      Any except it/its
      Orientation
      Michisexual <3
      Familial House
      Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    PB
  • Paragons
  • One of our region's greatest strengths is our firm relationships with allies. As strong as those bonds are, our enemies' (and Wintreath does have enemies) disdain is just as strong. We would need to ensure that joining the FRA is in our best diplomatic interests before proceeding in any visible way. The same goes for changing our R/D alignment. We have allies that count on us for military aid, and we were recently reminded of the reality of the treaties we've signed. I would hate to offend long time allies and friends because we decided to become more aggressive in R/D.
    PB
    • Paragons
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Wintreath Nation
    Laurentus
  • Count of Highever
  • I despise defenderdom, so I don't think we should have any involvement whatsoever with the FRA. The behind-your-back intrigue and drama just isn't worth it. I like this region specifically because, even though it's a defender, it just wants to get shit done and leave politics and intrigue at the door. This region's isolated stance allows it to actually maintain the moral high-ground that other fendas *claim* to have.

Also, since I'm not involved with the R/D system at all here, my opinion on which alignment we should have doesn't really matter. I am a steadfast supporter of Imperialism, however, so were this my region, I'd have us become imperialists in a heartbeat, to bring our stability and friendliness to countless other regions. Not through force, either.
    In die donker ure skink net duiwels nog 'n dop, 
    Satan sit saam sy kinders en kyk hoe kom die son op. 
    • Count of Highever
    Laurentus
    • Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      The Noble House of Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    HannahB
  • Former Citizen
  • Nuclear Soldermancer
  • Personally I an not a fan of gameplay in general, but that being said I realise it is quite popular here and many of Wintreath's friends and ally's like Wintreath because of it's stance and alignment. In that case going with my gut would not be beneficial to the region, as such I will agree with many of the other candidates here in saying that: in my opinion Wintreath should probably remian involved in R/D as a defender, I agree when they say it best reflects Wintreath's values.
    HannahB
    • Nuclear Soldermancer
    • "You can not fight for Peace, you can only fight for War"
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      She/Her/Hers
      Familial House
      Everden
      Wintreath Nation
    Emoticonius
  • Former Citizen
  • Supreme Grand Admiral of The Emoticonian Army
  • 1.) I believe Wintreath should not join the FRA. Wintreath has a founder. The FRA is for regions that need a little extra security. We have all the security we need. While I support the FRA, being part of 2 member regions, it simply is not for us.

2.) I'm a defender, always have been. An alignment change could potentially bring new citizens no matter which side of the R/D spectrum but at the same time it could cost us citizens. If anything the best options for Wintreath are either to stay defender or get out of R/D and focus on culture. I support both options.
    “I support anyone’s right to be who they want to be. My question is: to what extent do I have to participate in your self-image?” - Dave Chappelle
    7:42 PM <Govindia> eh, i like the taste of nuts in my mouth

Potential clients should PM or Query Emoticonius
    Emoticonius
    • Crasher Endorsed, Native Approved
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Kaizer
      Representing
      Wintreath Nation
    BraveSirRobin
  • My Dear Jean-Luc!
  • 1) I don't think that Wintreath should join the FRA, but that we could cooperate more closely with such organisations. I might be in favour of entering the FRA as an observing region, but certainly not a fully vested member.

2) If we were to switch classifications, I believe imperialist is the way to go. Raider nations are so inefficient about the whole thing and just rack up enemies. Imperialist nations are far better at increasing influence. But for now, I don't see why we should switch away from being a defender region at this time.
    Sir Robin of Camelot

"Whilst the men of Caenia were scattered far and wide, pillaging and destroying, Romulus came upon them with an army, and after a brief encounter taught them that anger is futile without strength."  -Titus Livius, Ab Urbe Condita

(Ravenclaw is the best!)

Résumé/A History of Robin on NationStates
    Wintreath:
    Citizen: 4 June 2015 - present
    Member of the Hvitt Riddaral: 21 August 2015 - present
    Strifa of the 12th Underhusen: 8 October 2015 - 13 December 2015
    Speaker Pro Tem of the 13th Underhusen: 13 December 2015 - 8 February 2016
    Speaker Pro Tem of the 14th Underhusen: 8 February 2016 - 8 April 2016
    Speaker of the 16th Underhusen: 10 June 2016 - 11 August 2016
    Ambassador to Europeia: 5 December 2016 - present
    RP Guild Councillor: 23 February 2017 - present
    Ambassador to The North Pacific: 11 March 2017 - present
    Speaker of the 21st Underhusen: 10 April 2017 - 10 June 2017
    Delegate of Wintreath: 10 June 2017 - 15 March 2020
    Strifa of the 23rd Underhusen: 10 August 2017 - 10 November 2017
    Thane of Ambassadors: 10 October 2018 - 10 December 2018
    Commendation of Wintreath: Sept 24 2020

New Hyperion:
    Citizen: 27 November 2015 - present
    Patrician: 12 January 2016 - present
    Lord of Development: 5 February 2016 - present

(I stole this format from tau, but who am I not to copy a great system? :-) )

Ne Crustumini quidem atque Antemnates pro ardore iraque Caeninensium satis se impigre movent; ita per se ipsum nomen Caeninum in agrum Romanum impetum facit. Sed effuse vastantibus fit obvius cum exercitu Romulus levique certamine docet vanam sine viribus iram esse.
    BraveSirRobin
    • My Dear Jean-Luc!
    • We Meet Again, Mon Capitaine!!
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      The Noble House of Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    Govindia
  • Former Citizen
  • Should Wintreath join the FRA?

Firstly let me say thank you Wintermoot for your questions and thanks to everyone for responding so far in this debate.  It's good to see a strong presence of candidates here.

I do not believe that Wintreath should join the FRA.  We have an active founder, as mentioned, and the FRA have shown to be slightly manipulative at times, in one instance they did attempt to manipulate the elections and/or policy in the British Isles so that BI would be pro-FRA, or at least stay defender in their organisation.  BI left soon afterward and Sauron / Wopruthien apologised for it.  I believe that joining the FRA would restrict our abilities to choose whom we wish to have diplomatic relations with, or even allies. 

If nothing else, we should at least allow them to have diplomatic relations with us, but no membership in either the FRA or the UDL.  Both have shown to be restrictive and in some cases, interfering with regions' politics.

I may be slightly also biased here, but since 00000 A World Power, one of the FRA member regions, has gone inactive, very little has been done to help bring back activity to the region, except to help take care of the forum after Wibblefeet was outed as an invader plant.   AWP is supposedly an FRA protectorate now, but not much else has been done from the FRA to help revive the region IMO, and I'm saying this as a citizen of that region.

Another question...should Wintreath remain defender, switch to some other alignment, or withdraw from R/D entirely?

Just to make it interesting. :P

I believe we should stay defender.  We are one of the few organisations that actively do our best to help others  in need, and we should be able to help other regions when they are invaded against their will.  Every region has a right to determine its own sovereignty.  I firmly support Wintreath staying as a defender.
    Democratic Republic of South Nivogal
    Citizenship Granted 24 Dec. 2013!

------------------------------------------------
    Other Areas of NS:
    00000 A World Power: 1st Sgt, A World Power Regional Defence Force
    Celtica: Associate Advisor
    The Kodiak Republic: Member, The Kodiak Republic General Assembly

Govindia
    • Jedi Master
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Auditore
      Wintreath Nation
    Emoticonius
  • Former Citizen
  • With all due respect Govindia, since when is it the FRA's duty to maintain the activity of its member regions? The sovereignty of its member regions has always been of the utmost importance to the FRA. That is one of its core values. AWP is responsible for its own activity, as with every other member region.
    “I support anyone’s right to be who they want to be. My question is: to what extent do I have to participate in your self-image?” - Dave Chappelle
    7:42 PM <Govindia> eh, i like the taste of nuts in my mouth

Potential clients should PM or Query Emoticonius
    Emoticonius
    • Crasher Endorsed, Native Approved
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Kaizer
      Representing
      Wintreath Nation