Pages: [1]

Magical May #2: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

Michi
  • Regional Stability Squad
  • Level 167 Caticorn God of Destruction
  • Hello and welcome to Magical May #2: Electric Boogaloo!  Today we’re going to be talking about the second game in the adapted Harry Potter franchise, and the final game for two of the versions (the PS1 and GBC): Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets.

Naturally, I got both of these games side by side on the PC, and enjoyed both.  As true sequel fashion goes, it was a completely different game as far as gameplay adjustments, story, and some minor graphics tweaks and location changes went…but nothing dramatic in either category to call it drastically different from the previous title.  This is something that would amusingly enough follow the different versions as well, with even the PS2 title being a somewhat odd duck despite it coming out earlier than the same version of Sorcerer’s/Philosopher’s Stone.  So what worked? What didn’t work? Which version is the best? Let’s explore all of this and more in the familiar style of the last review!

Story
    If you’ve read the book or watched the movie, you know the basics of this.  Harry Potter is thinking about his summer while spending time in his room before he meets a curious creature named Dobby the House Elf.  Dobby warns him not to go back to Hogwarts out of concern for his safety, but naturally after overcoming some slight obstacles in his way he does in fact go back…only to find that once again Hogwarts is under attack by a mysterious threat that looms somewhere in the school, making threatening messages and petrifying any who come into contact with it.  Can Harry Potter figure out and rid Hogwarts of the threat once and for all?

So once again, each of the versions of the game follow the basic plotlines of the book/film pretty well.  Though there are definitely instances where liberties are taken, certain parts are glossed over or skipped, and others may be omitted completely in favor of adding in some new material.  Which got it best?

PC version
    The PC version of the game does a similar thing as the last with some narrative exposition to get the players familiar with the beginning. Unlike the last game, this is done through continuous cutscenes rather than illustrations in a book, as the game skips past everything pre-Hogwarts and once again starts you in Hogwarts itself, this time at the Whomping Willow scene.  Like the previous title, this one kind of jumps in and out of full book immersion and slight hurrying along to get to the gameplay once you get to that area.  Surprisingly, some characters such as Neville (whom apparently was in the last game) are completely absent from this game. Overall aside from some slight changes and mistakes, this one tries to stick with the overall story while rushing past certain areas.

PS1 Version
    The PS1 version of the game, however, took a different route than the PC game.  While the game does start with some mild narrative exposition from a “book” with images, the game actually surprisingly starts things off in the Burrow, with some events from the book making a nice appearance.  However, it takes some liberties such as adding a “find Ginny” quest before you can even leave for Diagon Alley, and the game completely skips over Diagon Alley itself and leaves it as more narrative exposition.  Though it then adds in the train chase before you’re dropped at Hogwarts…and apparently Diagon Alley makes a secondary appearance later on similar to how it was thrown in a bit later into the SS/PS PS1 game.  Again, much like the PS1 version of SS/PS, you’d see a lot more liberties with material in this game, though once again it does very much do its best to follow the events of the book/movie.

GBA version
    This one is slightly confusing, though arguably this is also me coming from playing the PS2 version of SS/PS and seeing some weird similarities that were obviously taken from this game…such as having to avoid disturbing Percy so you could check out Fred and George’s shop.  Naturally, this would be a somewhat recurring theme of this game in a few ways such as the story…which is very haphazardly thrown at you at points rather than naturally sprinkled in.  Characters will at times regurgitate unnecessary amounts of plot as if the game itself is on some kind of strict time limit to be over with…though I will say that even story wise it feels like it’s a step up from the last game, so…kudos? This along with the next 2 versions actually does follow events such as Diagon Alley as they go in the book/film (with some minor differences) compared to the rest of the versions, so there’s definite kudos in that.

PS2/GC/Xbox version
    Despite being the earlier game versus the same version of Sorcerer’s Stone, weirdly I felt as if the story was a bit better handled in this one.  While this is the only version that completely skips over the Dobby introduction, the game starts you off at the Burrow, and transitions over to Diagon Alley which, like the above and below versions, lets you actually walk around and explore the events more organically instead of them being told in exposition.  This would be of course a trend that follows in the rest of the story itself, while also again taking some minor liberties and adding some bits here and there compared to the normal story.  In actuality, outside of the intro area, I’m having a difficult time thinking of whether anything else was actually omitted versus just slightly changed as well as extra bits added in, and the pacing itself was pretty well done.  Still not the most 100% faithful since, again, the intro omission as well as some slight tweaks here and there, but still well done.

GBC version
    Once again though, speaking of the most faithful adaptation, this honor goes once again to the GBC version of the game.  Coming in swinging once more, this game starts you right off with Harry contemplating at his window, introducing you to Dobby, and getting you right into the game at the very beginning without relying once again on much narrative help at all.  Once again you get to actually visit the Burrow, you get to visit Diagon Alley, and overall you’re getting to actually act out the story in its entirety versus having parts told to you.  Like the previous title, it’s incredibly faithful to the source material, and though there are some side things that you can do, any changes to the source material are minor at best compared to the other titles, and I’m having a difficult time thinking of anything that was omitted completely since this game really takes its time, but in a good way.

Gameplay
    As you’d expect and as I mentioned earlier, for the most part these games are virtually identical to their previous versions except for new spells for more interesting puzzles, the addition of dueling which was a thing all across the board for each version, and side content is definitely still a thing across the board, though a bit more varied in this game.  So let’s go into the specifics of what made each game still unique despite those similarities.

PC Version
    The most notable change in this version is the inclusion of the Bonus Bean room.  Every so often, you’ll be treated to a scene in the Great Hall where Dumbledore would tally your total house points so far.  If Gryffindor was in the lead, you’d get the chance to visit the Bonus Bean room where you just run around collecting as many Bertie Botts Every Flavor Beans as you can within the time limit (determined by the total house points) and you could access new/secret parts of it with different spells you learn.  If you fell short, Draco instead would get the honor as Slytherin would always be in the lead otherwise.  Likewise, similar to other versions of this game, you also would get access to new spells such as Spongify, which you could use on carpets for an extra leap.  Aside from new (and arguably more difficult at times) locations, these were the big changes that really hit this version, while still keeping the spirit and feel of the previous game intact.

PS1 Version
    This game had quite a few changes, most notably the amount of mini games tossed in such as collecting the pipes that the ghoul throws in the attic of the Burrow…as well as the train chase.  Likewise, dueling is a much bigger emphasis in this game compared to the other versions, to which one of the most notable side quests is finding each of the duelists in the Founder towers.  Gnome tossing (which would be in the GBC and PS2/GC/Xbox versions) makes an appearance here as well, and can net you Wizard Cards for doing well.  And before you ask: Yes, the gripe I had with the spells that do the mini cutscenes is still a problem here.  There’s also a bit more emphasis on fully charging spells to do things…but not as much as:

GBA Version
    After the ugliness and somewhat blandness of the previous game, I was actually very curious if the 2nd title was just going to be more of the same.  I’m actually very surprised to say that it wasn’t, and that in ways this one improved in some aspects including Gameplay…though it was definitely lacking a bit as well. First off, rather than the top down style of the last game, this one took on more of a Spyro: Seasons of Ice/Fire approach of being a little closer perspective and actually trying to utilize environments more.  Harry can now jump (and he does it a lot), climb, still cast spells obviously, open chests, collect keys, learn unique spells to open special doors, and all that jazz.

These changes however don’t come without their share of problems.  As I said, jumping is a big thing in this game since many times you’ll come across stationary floating platforms as well as moving ones, as well as ones that will crumble when you touch them.  It is absolutely not a perfect mechanic since movement at times can be somewhat janky, and much like the GBA Spyro games it does a lot of weird angling of where the platform is you need to jump on, and likewise the timing isn’t 100% precise so you could very likely jump at a platform too early or too late.

Likewise, spellcasting in this game puts a large emphasis on always being a full charge.  Whether you want to burn a web with incendio, destroy a barrel or other obstacle, open a lock, or kill an enemy, a full charge is really the only way to get things done.  I get the mechanic to an extent, but I don’t see the point of having it when you’re always just going to be holding down and charging versus getting anything out of not going that route.  Not to mention, you can only have one spell equipped at a time, and will more than likely have to pause the game and change it that way since I’ve yet to recall a way to switch it on the fly.

I should also mention that the way spells are learned is different in this game, as they’re learned via books.  Two of the spells are learned in classes, while 1 is learned through story events, 1 is learned through a possible sidequest, and 1 is learned via collecting all Witches and Wizard cards of a specific category…so it’s a bit different than the previous title.

Outside of that though, I mentioned how the reading room bit with Percy was strange to see here, and that remains.  It was a baffling decision to say the least to have it be a thing originally in this version of CoS, but to toss it into the PS2/GC/Xbox version of SS/PS later on since it seems rather inconsistent.  But yes, sneaking past Percy, the use of Stink Pellets/Dungbombs to do so, that came from here.  Likewise, also oddly enough, the idea of collecting bean sets for passwords (something that was in the PS1 version) also makes an appearance here in the form of completing Bean Challenge rooms in which you go through trials to collect full sets of beans, which you of course exchange to the twins for passwords to different portraits.

Overall though, quite a few gameplay changes to match the new style…some good, some bad, some questionable as to why they either took from a previous game (in the case of PS1 SS/PS) or why a later game took from them (in the case of PS2/GC/Xbox SS/PS).

PS2/GC/Xbox
    As mentioned, the gameplay here is what was mixed into the later release of Philosopher’s/Sorcerer’s Stone on the same consoles.  Spell charging, calling on Hedwig for help, learning spells from books, sneaking, targeting specific opponents the way PS/SS on those consoles did it, all of that was pulled from this version of Chamber of Secrets.

That being said though, I will say that the later PS/SS version is a bit more refined, so to speak.  That’s not to say it’s bad in this version at all, since the gameplay in this version is also very well done.  But there’s points when the movement/camera feels slightly janky compared to the later PS/SS game, and even the UI seems just mildly less stellar…which is 100% understandable since this game came before that version of PS/SS, so it’d be like knocking Kingdom Hearts I for not looking as good as Kingdom Hearts 2…although there’s something about this version of Chamber of Secrets that surprisingly it does a lot better than the later version of PS/SS which kind of makes that argument a little moot…the graphics.

GBC Version
    This is that game where very little has changed, and that’s totally cool since the gameplay of the last game was pretty solid.  Turn based battles are still the same with a slightly changed menu that actually shows you which spells have multiple levels.  You now are much more likely to have secondary helping characters, such as getting Ron very early into the game as a secondary party member.  Duels, of course, are also still a thing…though they’re much more just another turn based battle.

But again, that’s fine though.  The GBC version of PS/SS was such a refreshing change up in gameplay and it was neat to play a HP game in a full RPG style.  Chamber of Secrets for the GBC definitely kept that charm and added some little tweaks and sidequests here and there.

Graphics
    So as I mentioned in general, much stuff was largely unchanged between the versions.  I won’t dive into the general broad notes too much, so let’s just dive right into the specifics.

PC version

You’ll be mostly happy to know that the graphics haven’t changed aside from some minor tweaks here and there.  It’s still atmospherically my favorite of the bunch, though the PS2/GC/Xbox version is definitely pretty high up there as well.  Locations still look absolutely lovely, and the particle effects still look nice.  Overall, despite any hints of looking dated, graphically the settings are still 100%.

Characters, however, are still unfortunately looking incredibly dated.  Aside from of course Harry himself, other characters still seem to feel like more of an afterthought…but definitely not as much as:

PS1 Version

Oh goodness.  Let me take a moment to once again repeat what I said in my last review and say that this version confuses me.  Once again, there’s a surprising amount of brightness to this game which seems even less fitting in this version.  I don’t mean the beautiful bright skies and literal brightness so much as the color choices…they just feel too vibrant.  That being said, Hogwarts itself still looks fine, and some of the locations look overall fine, with the Chamber itself looking great, albeit pixelated of course since it’s the PS1.

Characters still look absolutely horrendous.  I’m actually surprised that it doesn’t seem like they really fixed up this one at all, but instead just added even more characters that look just as awful.

Likewise, for the narration scenes with the book, they for some reason switched out from using those decent illustrations and instead opted for using pixelated images from the PS2/GC/Xbox entry.  Why? I have no idea, since they definitely don’t look as good as the illustrations.  Overall, it’s a confusing mess.

GBA version

This version, surprisingly, is actually one I enjoy looking at for the most part.  The color styles were an interesting choice, the overall style change is very welcome after the ugliness of the last game, and overall I actually found myself digging it quite a bit more to where it’s almost a favorite of mine of the versions.

Almost.  One thing I have to continue to critique is the character portraits, which are still not at that good place they should be at.  They’re a little better than the GBC ones…but that’s really not saying much since the GBC is much more limited on what they can do within their…well, limitations.  However, both the new look and overall theme/style was very much welcome after the garbage look of the first game on the GBA.

PS2/GC/Xbox version

Overall, I’d say this is the best version of the console games.  The PC version definitely nails the atmospheric feel the best, but this one of course nails the characters the best, and the overall look of everything else is still perfectly great as well even if style wise it’s just below PC.  But in the overall sense I feel like it kinda edges the PC version out just a bit more because the characters actually have distinct looks.  Their mouths move with the words when they talk.  Creatures themselves still look wonderful, and overall there’s just a bit more going on beyond the atmosphere aspect.

It’s funny because this game still looks better overall than the same version of PS/SS, which actually seemed like there were upgrades in some areas (the UI, opening chests), while there were slight downgrades in others compared to this game (character models look just slightly noticeably worse in the same version of PS/SS versus this game, overall environments have a semi lack of polish compared to this game).  And I say it’s funny because the same version of PS/SS came out a year after the PS2/GC/Xbox version of Chamber of Secrets.  So it’s funny to think that CoS in ways looks way better than a later game to where I wonder if that was intentional to make this version of PS/SS look less refined and thus “older” than the same version of CoS.

GBC version

As you’d expect, this game is probably going to come off as “more of the same” because virtually all the assets are the same.  However, you’d be somewhat wrong since areas such as Diagon Alley are very much improved versus the previous title.  It looks less like a town with so much sandy roads, and very much looks more like an actual town with cobblestone roads.  Likewise, areas such as the Burrow are still brimming with personality, and overall the look of the game is very much still pretty excellent considering the version and the limitations of the GBC.

That being said, I wasn’t digging the new UI as much.  Whereas the first game kept it to a turn-based traditional list, the second changes the menu to something more akin to the secondary menu of Golden Sun: You now have colorful icons for your actions, and when you choose to cast a spell, you likewise have colorful icons for your spell, as well as icons for each spell’s level when you choose your spell (which is literally the same icon with 1, 2, 3 on each).  It just felt kinda…eh, I can’t think of the word, but I greatly preferred the first game’s approach.

Likewise, it’s weird saying this…but playing the two versions in comparison I feel like the character portraits had a slight downgrade compared to the first game.  They’re nothing major like, say, PS/SS on the GBA awful, but it’s still a surprise to say the least.

All in all though, I will say the good outweighed the bad heavily.  Environments including revisited areas are still absolutely lovely, enemies of new and old still are pretty varied and look as good as they can on a turn-based GBC game, spells still look great, and overall it’s still a good looking GBC title.

Music/Sounds
    Alright, so rather than splitting it for each version again since it’s going to be more of the same like the last game, let me get into the overall generals.

PS1, PS2/GC/Xbox, and PC versions all still have great soundtracks.  Again, nothing hugely memorable aside from of course the Hogwarts theme (which hasn’t changed), but the music, spell effects, and overall environmental sounds are still pretty well done.

GBA version I’m incredibly surprised with, in a very lukewarm way.  For the positives, the sounds for this game are still very well picked…and thank goodness they removed the voices from spell casting since hearing downgraded voices for spells wasn’t enjoyable when it happened often.  So it was a really nice change to say the least.

The downside is that the music quality for some reason feels like it was downgraded to GBC midi quality.  The music in the last game was nothing special, though it was pretty unique in areas compared to the other versions and sounded overall pretty good.  The music in this game much of the time is downgraded versions of the regular soundtrack which is totally fine…but it’s not even GBA quality so much as, again, GBC quality…and it’s weird because even the GBC version tends to sound surprisingly better enough times despite having that definite midi 8-bit sound.

Also, the GBC sounds were a little off.  Sounds when choosing your actions in battle seemed far too beepy and intrusive sounding versus the old sounds, so I wasn’t digging that.

So overall, fine across the board for the most part, great changes in sounds for the GBA version, confusing choice in music changes.

Voices
    Still overall “ehhhh” across the board of games that had voice acting.  Saying the spells was still definitely a thing in the PS1 and PC versions at a full charge (And Harry's audio saying "Flipendo" was horribly choppy in the PS1 game), and again…PS1 had those annoying mini-cutscenes if you casted certain spells such as Wingardium Leviosa.

They thankfully changed the narrator for the new game, and once again Dumbledore doesn’t have that cringeworthy voice that he had in the PS1/PC versions of SS/PS.  Overall across the board, it was better…but still not fantastic.

Oh, except for Dobby.  Why they chose the most grating voice for Dobby, I don’t know…but it was awful.

Replayability
    So as I mentioned, plenty of these versions added new content or sidequests to keep the games engaging.  PS1 added secret Founder Tower duels, GBC added certain sidequests to learn a specific spell or two as well as a Dueling Championship type of thing, PS2/GC/Xbox added its own amount of content and sidequests such as Degnoming, duel-related sidequests and whatnot, and the PC also added its own special content such as the Bonus Bean Room and other things to keep folks busy.

Quidditch is still unfortunately mostly shafted depending on the version played, and is mainly kept to story-related things.  But again, Harry Potter: Quidditch World Cup would come out a year later in 2003, so it very much solved that problem.

But like the last game, there’s still a lot in Chamber of Secrets to satisfy that 100% gamer in you, such as the re-emergence of the Famous Witches and Wizards card collecting (which yes, it still serves the same purpose in the GBC game to make them worth getting even more).  So yes, if you’re looking for extras…these games will have stuff to fulfill that.

Overall
    Overall I’d argue Chamber of Secrets had the better set of games than Sorcerer’s/Philosopher’s Stone, and was probably overall the best set in the series depending on the version.  Though really every version had its quirks, and every version had its flaws…so I can’t really say one was exceptionally worse than the other.  But I can say that the GBC and PS2 versions arguably had the least amount of flaws to where I recommend them just slightly more.  But that doesn’t mean I don’t recommend the other versions though, because all 5 of the versions had their own charms to make them a mostly enjoyable experience.
    My Wintreath Resumé
    Michi
    • Level 167 Caticorn God of Destruction
    • Wintreath's Official Video Game Enthusiast
    • Regional Stability Squad
    • Pronouns
      Any except it/its
      Orientation
      Michisexual <3
      Familial House
      Valeria
      Wintreath Nation