Pages: [1]

Your Wintreath Family Experience

Wintermoot
  • Regional Stability Squad
  • The Greyscale Magi-Monk
  • As part of reforming the RP and government forums, I'd like to also look at how we can make the family system better.

Right now, families are very informal...you register your family in one topic, and announce you've joined a family or would like to join one in another. Beyond that, I don't know how most families function or what people get out of them. So I'm asking you...if you're in a family, what do you get out of being part of it? Is there something you enjoy about being in your family? And if not, what kind of experience would you imagine having with your Wintreath family? And beyond that, how do you think families could be better used in general? If you have any ideas that involve families, feel free to post them here too.

Thanks for your input in advance! :D
    1 person likes this post: taulover

I went all the way to Cassadega to commune with the dead
    They said "You'd better look alive"
    Wintermoot
    • Weather: ❄️
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation
    Svipjoth
  • Former Citizen
  • For the Honor and the Glory
  • Personally, I know nothing about families in Wintreath or how they function. However, I do know that as a monarchy (to put it very, very loosely), our people take pride in the Ljufving royal family. It is something of a national identity, a mark of who Fylkir Pjotur or Heir Apparent Beinlaus us and where they come from. I think that families could function as sources of political power, and thereby political competition, within both the Landsraad and the Riksraad, if it gets to be that serious of course. Just my two cents :)
    Svipjoth
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      She/Her/Hers
      Familial House
      Kasten
      Wintreath Nation
    Michi
  • Level 167 Caticorn God of Destruction
  • The only problem I have with political families is the same with political parties, in that while it's a competition for people in those families, it becomes a sort of unfair area for people who want to participate in elections but don't want to join whatever two families end up as the most popular (which will most likely be what happens) or worse...we have a massive mega family that just ends up dominating every single election since they have the most power due to their massive size/popularity.

I personally think families should be kept strictly to RP and out of politics to avoid building resentment, for one.  RP family feuds are fine, potential feuds between members in families because of political reasons strike me as infuriatingly annoying as the RL political divide we see in places like the US between the two major political parties.
    3 people like this post: Svipjoth, Red Mones, W Amadeus
    My Wintreath Resumé
    Michi
    • Level 167 Caticorn God of Destruction
    • Wintreath's Official Video Game Enthusiast
    • Pronouns
      Any except it/its
      Orientation
      Michisexual <3
      Familial House
      Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    Svipjoth
  • Former Citizen
  • Imagine the Wintreath equivalent of the Habsburgs, lol.

I get your point though and I think that you bring up a lot of interesting points. Only reason I mention families with politics is because a while ago, I remember Wintermoot mentioning that he wanted to turn the "town" concept of Wintreath into an actual government body or something along those lines.
    Svipjoth
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      She/Her/Hers
      Familial House
      Kasten
      Wintreath Nation
    taulover
  • Seeker of Knowledge
  • Valeria came out of the Hyperians who joined Wintreath, and then the surrounding social group which we absorbed. It's worked very well in that regard, as a social group going back to a certain time and age with a set of shared experiences. We also have a shared lore and family tree which fit into Weissreich's Wintreath lore which was nice, and also have had some collaboration in Minecraft.
    1 person likes this post: Red Mones
    Résumé
    Wintreath:
    Citizen: 8 April 2015 - present
    From the Ashes RP Game Master: 29 November 2015 - 24 July 2018
    Skydande Vakt Marshal: 29 November 2015 - 28 February 2017
    Skrifa of the 13th Underhusen: 13 December 2015 - 8 February 2016
    RP Guild Councillor: 9 February 2016 - 6 March 2018
    Ambassador to Lovely: 23 February 2016 - 17 August 2016
    Werewolf VII co-host: 11 May 2016 - 5 June 2016
    Skrifa of the 18th Underhusen: 8 October 2016 - 7 December 2016
    Ambassador to Balder: 1 December 2016 - 1 March 2022
    Skrifa of the 19th Underhusen: 7 December 2016 - 9 February 2017
    Ambassador to the INWU: 11 March 2017 - 1 March 2022
    Ambassador to the Versutian Federation: 18 August 2017 - 22 March 2018
    Thane of Integration: 29 September 2017 - 7 March 2018
    Speaker of the 24th Underhusen: 10 October 2017 - 7 December 2017
    October 2017 Wintreath's Finest: 4 November 2017
    Speaker pro tempore of the 25th Underhusen: 9 December 2017 - 7 February 2018
    Wintreath's Finest of 2017: 6 January 2018
    Werewolf XIV host: 20 January 2018 - 23 February 2018
    February 2018 Wintreath's Finest: 5 March 2018
    Thane of Embassy Dispatches / Foreign Releases and Information / Foreign Dispatches: 7 March 2018 - 15 March 2020
    Speaker of the 28th Underhusen: 10 June 2018 - 7 August 2018
    Second Patriarch of the Noble House of Valeria: 10 October 2018 - present
    Arena Game 6 Host: 28 December 2018 - 9 March 2019
    Librarian of the Underhusen: 29 January 2019 - 12 February 2019
    Speaker of the 32nd Underhusen: 12 February 2019 - 8 April 2019
    March 2019 Wintreath's Finest: 4 April 2019
    Librarian of the Underhusen: 12 April 2019 - 23 October 2020
    Commendation of Wintreath: 24 September 2020
    Peer of the Overhusen: 9 December 2020 - 8 February 2021
    Vice Chancellor of the Landsraad: 26 May 2021 - 15 September 2022
    Arena Game 8 Host: 10 June 2021 - 19 July 2021
    June 2021 Wintreath's Finest: 5 July 2021
    Regional Stability Squad: 28 February 2023 - present
    Minecraft Server Admin: 8 March 2023 - present

Aura Hyperia/New Hyperion:
    Plebeian: 16 April 2014 - 21 July 2014
    Patrician: 21 July 2014 - present
    Adeptus Mechanicus: 24 October 2014 - 16 November 2014
    Co-founder of New Hyperion: 29 October 2014 - present
    Lord of Propaganda: 16 November 2014 - present
    Mapmaker for Official Region RP: 27 November 2015 - present
    WACom Delegate: 11 November 2017 - present
    Other positions: Hyperian Guardsman, Hyperian Marine (Rank: Scout)
    taulover
    • Seeker of Knowledge
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    Marzipan
  • Former Citizen
  • Oh to be awake but still blissfully dreaming
  • One thing that I've seen that I believe works for families in other regions is rather than having a specific family topic, registered families (they usually registered with the government and were pruned as necessary) were afforded a sub-forum for posts of their choosing. Things like their residence (like what exists here), family history (trees, logs, important events, honor), any roleplay/rp info, and even family-sponsored social events/invitations (in and OOC) were kept there and they were often moderated by the head of the family or their chosen steward to ensure things didn't get too hectic. 

I think a lot of newer people come in with a very specific idea of how families operate because there are so many roleplay-esque aspects that apply to them but wind up confused by the actual content (speaking from experience when I came here). I think having a means of organizing it and being able to easily find information from respective families in a similar way could open the doors to newcomers in a much more user-friendly way.

Non-family oriented threads could exist, of course, and might see more use if incoming members have a clearer idea of what they can expect, the character of the groups around them, and a vetting system for both the old and new to determine which groups they would most fit in with. We've seen some familial bouncers, and hell, I've been a familial bouncer. Not every family wants to develop in the same way and not every player wants to interact with families in the same way, and I think being able to expand upon family info and share goals, values, games/events in that way would bring more to the table. 

My experience overall with families has been alright but not notable- most of the time it's just a name and perhaps a friend or two along the way. While appreciated, I know it could be built upon. 
    1 person likes this post: taulover

Regional Resume
    Citizen: June 28, 2019-  the Schism and then March 4, 2022 to Present

Member of the Noble House of Eske
    Operator: December 30th, 2022 - Present
    Jarl of Culture: September 15th, 2022 - Present
    Ambassador to Forest and Europeia (since Sept 2022)
    Creator of the Dungeon Masters (Est. April 2022)
    Creator and Co-Host of the Dungeon Tourneys (CAHpocalypse - May 2022)
    Wintreath's Finest x5 (July 2019, March 2022, April 2022, Mid-Year 2022, Year 2022)
    Wintreath’s Most Mentioned
    Spirit of Wintreath Mid-Year 2022 and Year 2022

Formerly:
    Hearthkeeper: March 12, 2022 - December 28th, 2022
    Thane of Foreign Releases: September 8th, 2022 - December 8th, 2022
    Thane of Gaming: March 20th, 2022 - September 15th, 2022
    Co-Host of Werewolf XXVII: A Golden Affair
    Skrifa/Speaker Pro Tempore of the 36th Underhusen
    Former Ambassador to Sonindia and the Kingdom of Great Britain
    Former Member of the Noble House of Kaizer and the joint Noble House of Valeria-Jormunr
    Marzipan
    • Oh to be awake but still blissfully dreaming
    • Wintreath's Official Julia Child
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      They/Them/Theirs
      Orientation
      Bisexual
      Familial House
      The Noble House of Eske
      Wintreath Nation
    Wintermoot
  • Wow, it's hard to believe it's been 3 months since I started this topic. Time sure does fly by. Thanks for bringing it back up. :D

The overall feedback that I've gotten mostly confirms what I suspected: Wintreath families haven't really made an impact on anybody. It seems like the families that people get the most out of are ones that are centered around people who are already friends, and I'm not sure being a family really impacts that dynamic at all. They would likely have their own group and do much the same things anyways. Otherwise, the feedback that I got was that family-specific players like private Discords are generally inactive and doesn't really add to their experience.

I think part of the problem is that we don't have a vision for what role families could have in Wintreath, beyond being groups of friends that occasionally take on a new person they like. I have some ideas for giving them a role in RP ways, which I kinda touched on here, but it's not something I've revisited since then. I would certainly like to though...I think the Freeholder system could be awesome. ^-^ Otherwise though, besides new friends it's not clear what a new person would get from being in a family.

I also think part of the problem is that at various points we've had too many recognized families...we have had a lot of families of one or two people, which are the most likely to be inactive and die out. I've considered only recognizing noble families, and/or making a requirement that at least 3 Citizens must sign onto a family before it's recognized. I think it would help if there were fewer but higher-quality families, and might spawn a more competitive environment between the families.

I also agree with @Marzipan that things need to be more organized, which is ironic given that this topic spawned from a project to organize the government and RP forums. :P At this point I'm not sure how many people know that families are even a thing, much less which one would be best for them or why they should join one. What information does exist is scattered about and not easy to find.

One thing that I've seen that I believe works for families in other regions is rather than having a specific family topic, registered families (they usually registered with the government and were pruned as necessary) were afforded a sub-forum for posts of their choosing. Things like their residence (like what exists here), family history (trees, logs, important events, honor), any roleplay/rp info, and even family-sponsored social events/invitations (in and OOC) were kept there and they were often moderated by the head of the family or their chosen steward to ensure things didn't get too hectic.
    Something that's in the works (at least in my head) is the ability to create and rent locations (subforums) in Wintreath using krone. The idea is that they would pay so much to create the subforum in The Wonderful World of Wintreath, then pay a monthly cost to keep it maintained. A private forum would cost a bit more than a public one, but would come with the ability to include whoever they wanted in it (initially by letting me know, but later on something like the Citizenize ability that lets the Cabinet give people Citizen role). It wouldn't automatically apply to families, but it could definitely be used for that purpose.

I've also thought of providing private Discord channels, but at this point I don't know if I'd rather it be purchasable with krone or a donator perk.
    1 person likes this post: W Amadeus

I went all the way to Cassadega to commune with the dead
    They said "You'd better look alive"
    Wintermoot
    • Weather: ❄️
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation