Pages: [1]

[DISCUSS] Officer Motions Amendment Act

Chanku
  • Citizen
    Title
    1. This act is to be cited as the Officer Motions Amendment Act.

Amendments
    2. Section 14, Sub-section e is amended to read as follows:
    Any Skrifa may introduce a motion to appoint an Officer of the Underhusen at any time. The motion must name the person nominated and must name the Office of the Underhusen the nominee would fill. Upon a second to the motion, a vote on the appointment is to begin. If the vote of appointment receives a simple majority in favor, the candidate is appointed. The candidate named within the motion must meet all requirements for holding that office as required by law, or by the office, and the office must be vacant upon the conclusion of voting. An Aye vote is a vote in favor of the appointment of the individual, and a Nay vote is a vote against the appointment. The Speaker may propose a motion to appoint an Officer of the Underhusen or second an already-introduced motion.

3. Section 14, Subsection f is renumbered to be Section 14, Subsection g.
    4. Section 14, is amended with a new Subsection, labeled Subsection f, which reads as follows:
    Any Skrifa may introduce a motion to dismiss an Officer of the Underhusen at any time. The motion must name the officer being dismissed and the reason for the dismissal. Upon a second to the motion, a vote on the dismissal is to begin. If the vote of dismissal receives a simple majority in favor, the candidate is dismissed, and another person may be appointed to that office. The office must have an officer occupying it at the time of the motion, and if an individual resigns before the conclusion of the vote and it passes, then the individual is still considered 'dismissed.' An Aye vote is a vote to dismiss the officer, and a Nay vote is a vote to retain the Officer. The Speaker may propose a motion to dismiss an Officer of the Underhusen or second an already-introduced motion. A person that was dismissed may not be reappointed after being dismissed.

5. Section 7, Subsection a is amended to read as follows:
    In the event that a vote is tied, the bill is to be directed to the Overhusen to determine the outcome. For matters concerning matters that is the sole discretion of the Underhusen, or are not a part of a bill, a vote that is tied is considered as having failed unless otherwise required within this, or any other relevant law.

I hereby introduce this amendment onto the floor of the Underhusen for debate. This splits Section e into two sections, and makes it clearer how votes on the motions would be handled for ties.

This is part of my goals for this session.
    « Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 01:43:24 AM by Chanku »
    See you later space cowboy.
    Old Signature

Current Positions in Wintreath
    Matriarch of House Kaizer
    Speaker of the 29th Underhusen
    Advisor to the Riksråd
    Positions I've held
    Riksrad(1st Jarl of Information, 3rd Jarl of Foreign Affairs, 2nd Jarl of Defense)
    Member of the WHR
    Speaker of the Underhusen (3rd)
    Speaker Pro Tempore of the Underhusen (1st)
    Underhusen Member (1st-3rd)
    Member of the 5th Overhusen
    Chairman of the 5th Overhusen
    6th Underhusen
    Speaker of the 6th Underhusen
    Mandate Holder for Jarl of Defense
    Member of the 8th Storting (Underhusen)
    Royalty of Wintreath
    Ambassador for the Department of Foreign Affairs.
    Underhusen Terms I've been a part of
    1st Underhusen
    2nd Underhusen
    3rd Underhusen
    6th Underhusen
    8th Underhusen
    Overhusen Terms I've been a part of
    5th Overhusen
    Families I've been a part of
    Kaizer - Matriarch (REFORMED)
    Kestar - Child of Wintermoot (REMOVED)
    Chanku
    Chanku
  • Citizen
  • A note, that if no discussion occurs within the next few hours I will proceed to motion to expedite.
    Old Signature

Advisor to the Riksråd
    Positions I've held
    Riksrad(1st Jarl of Information, 3rd Jarl of Foreign Affairs, 2nd Jarl of Defense)
    Member of the WHR
    6th Underhusen
    Royalty of Wintreath
    1st Underhusen
    2nd Underhusen
    3rd Underhusen
    6th Underhusen
    8th Underhusen
    5th Overhusen
    Chanku
    Katie
  • Former Citizen
  • The Cheese
  • I feel like the motion to dismiss should take more than a single second.
    Lady Katherine Ostergaard
    Countess of Osterfell, Matriarch of the Noble House of Ostergaard

Resumé
    Contact
    Discord: Katie#3933

Wintreath
      • Fmr. Thane of WA Affairs
      • Fmr. Jarl of Foreign Affairs
      • Fmr. Skrifa in the 29th-34th & 36th Sessions of the Underhusen
      • Fmr. Officer of Information in the 29th-34th Sessions of the Underhusen
      • Fmr. Speaker Pro Tempore in the 33rd Underhusen
      • Fmr. Thane of Integration
      • Fmr. Thane of Embassies

Other
    • Fmr. Councillor of World Assembly Affairs in Cynosure
    • Fmr. Outreach Officer of the Rejected Realms
    • Fmr. Kaetunet of the 1st House of Commons of the Holy Reich of Bunicken
    • Fmr. Grand Councillor in Grand Central
    • Fmr. Local Councillor in the South Pacific
    Katie
    • The Cheese
    • hoh
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      She/Her/Hers
      Familial House
      Ostergaard
      Wintreath Nation
    Chanku
  • Citizen
  • I feel like the motion to dismiss should take more than a single second.
    I don't entirely agree. First off, there is the fact that the motion requires a reason to be attached (without a reason the motion would be invalid). Secondly the motion, after being seconded, moves to a vote which requires a majority to dismiss the person. This doesn't seek to make procedural changes either, beyond just clarifying and making things a bit more conformant with the rest of the section.
    Old Signature

Advisor to the Riksråd
    Positions I've held
    Member of the WHR
    6th Underhusen
    Royalty of Wintreath
    1st Underhusen
    2nd Underhusen
    3rd Underhusen
    6th Underhusen
    8th Underhusen
    5th Overhusen
    Chanku
    Doc
  • Citizen
  • I'm unconvinced by the justifications my colleague has made in introducing this bill, and alarmed by the expressed desire to chivvy us along with what can only be perceived as a threat to motion to expedite. While it did not, in the end, occur, it nonetheless seems highly irregular for a bill's own author to even allude to a desire to expedite, barring an outside event of great urgency and importance.
    This is obviously not such a case.

I will additionally note that the reasoning behind this bill scarcely justifies it being written at all.
    Subsection E, as it currently stands, is perfectly comprehensible. Dividing it will do little to improve comprehensibility, apart from breaking up a somewhat long but otherwise unremarkable subsection.
    Moreover, the proposed revisions to Subsection A could well be argued to be covered by Section 7a of the Procedural Rules in the first place.

Ordinarily, I'd motion to table what otherwise appears to be a naked attempt to gain political legitimacy by passing unimportant legislation in order to create a false impression of 'activity', which is a common point of criticism of this institution.
    However, evidently, the Speaker is convinced that this legislation is somehow important, and so I invite my colleague to provide further detail as to why she believes this to be the case.
    Thus, motion to extend debate.
    Proud Burner
    Doc
    • it's karma, man
    • Citizen
    • Wintreath Nation
    Chanku
  • Citizen
  • I'm unconvinced by the justifications my colleague has made in introducing this bill, and alarmed by the expressed desire to chivvy us along with what can only be perceived as a threat to motion to expedite. While it did not, in the end, occur, it nonetheless seems highly irregular for a bill's own author to even allude to a desire to expedite, barring an outside event of great urgency and importance.
    This is obviously not such a case.
    My desire to expedite was based in there being likely little issue with this bill, and it being a rather routine amendment. Expedition of bills has, in the past, been routinely used for non-controversial or bills that are self evident or that require little debate. While this fell into disuse, this also occurred when the Speaker took on a less active role in the direct management of the Underhusen and when the Speaker lost the ability to expedite for some time, additionally with less active Underhusen sessions less people have been moving to expedite because of other concerns within the region.

I will additionally note that the reasoning behind this bill scarcely justifies it being written at all.
    Subsection E, as it currently stands, is perfectly comprehensible. Dividing it will do little to improve comprehensibility, apart from breaking up a somewhat long but otherwise unremarkable subsection.
    Moreover, the proposed revisions to Subsection A could well be argued to be covered by Section 7a of the Procedural Rules in the first place.
    While Subsection E is comprehensible, it does not fit with the formatting of the surrounding sections. It's the only combined section within Section 14, if not the entire document, and honestly gains from being separated. It, additionally, makes it easier to potentially amend or change one of the sections without the other. My initial purpose for combining the two was simply because I was afraid I was adding too much in my first amendment, so I decided to combine those two sections, which was an error.

As for the amendment to Section 7(a), while it could be argued, that is the issue though. There are alternative readings that could lead to each Speaker taking a different approach to the issue, and I do believe the Overhusen should have little say in the procedural and local matters of the Underhusen, much like I would say the reverse. Additionally that section should have been amended in the initial amendment, however I had overlooked it. These motions are unique and no other motion works the same as these, given that these prompt a vote. Before his Honourable Lordship responds with the fact that, at one point in this institution's history, votes were had for motions to table, motions to table only require more than half to pass, and the votes themselves were awkward which is why they were discontinued.

Ordinarily, I'd motion to table what otherwise appears to be a naked attempt to gain political legitimacy by passing unimportant legislation in order to create a false impression of 'activity', which is a common point of criticism of this institution.
    However, evidently, the Speaker is convinced that this legislation is somehow important, and so I invite my colleague to provide further detail as to why she believes this to be the case.
    Thus, motion to extend debate.
    It helps enforce a more consistent style throughout the Procedural Rules, clarifies points that were somewhat vague, and additionally fixes an error that I introduced because of my own insecurities about the length of the original amendment that introduced the Officers.

In any case, the motion to extend debate is recognized.
    Old Signature

Advisor to the Riksråd
    Positions I've held
    Member of the WHR
    6th Underhusen
    Royalty of Wintreath
    1st Underhusen
    2nd Underhusen
    3rd Underhusen
    6th Underhusen
    8th Underhusen
    5th Overhusen
    Chanku
    Katie
  • Former Citizen
  • The Cheese
    Title

Amendments
    Any Skrifa may introduce a motion to appoint an Officer of the Underhusen at any time. The motion must name the person nominated and must name the Office of the Underhusen the nominee would fill. Upon a second to the motion, a vote on the appointment is to begin. If the vote of appointment receives a simple majority in favor, the candidate is appointed. The candidate named within the motion must meet all requirements for holding that office as required by law, or by the office, and the office must be vacant upon the conclusion of voting. An Aye vote is a vote in favor of the appointment of the individual, and a Nay vote is a vote against the appointment. The Speaker may propose a motion to appoint an Officer of the Underhusen or second an already-introduced motion.

4. Section 14, is amended with a new Subsection, labeled Subsection f, which reads as follows:
    Any Skrifa may introduce a motion to dismiss an Officer of the Underhusen at any time. The motion must name the officer being dismissed and the reason for the dismissal. Upon a second to the motion, a vote on the dismissal is to begin. If the vote of dismissal receives a simple majority in favor, the candidate is dismissed, and another person may be appointed to that office. The office must have an officer occupying it at the time of the motion, and if an individual resigns before the conclusion of the vote and it passes, then the individual is still considered 'dismissed.' An Aye vote is a vote to dismiss the officer, and a Nay vote is a vote to retain the Officer. The Speaker may propose a motion to appoint an Officer of the Underhusen or second an already-introduced motion.

If a vote is tied, the bill shall be directed to the Overhusen to determine the outcome. For matters concerning the appointment or dismissal of Officers of the Underhusen, the vote is considered to have failed unless otherwise stated within this or other relevant law.

I'd like to introduce the following version of this bill. I've made some grammatical corrections and added some necessary punctuation. Until the Grammar Amendment Simplification Act passes, this is necessary to do.
    1 person likes this post: taulover

Resumé
    Contact

Wintreath

Other
    Katie
    • The Cheese
    • hoh
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      She/Her/Hers
      Familial House
      Ostergaard
      Wintreath Nation
    Chanku
  • Citizen
    Title

Amendments

Any Skrifa may introduce a motion to dismiss an Officer of the Underhusen at any time. The motion must name the officer being dismissed and the reason for the dismissal. Upon a second to the motion, a vote on the dismissal is to begin. If the vote of dismissal receives a simple majority in favor, the candidate is dismissed, and another person may be appointed to that office. The office must have an officer occupying it at the time of the motion, and if an individual resigns before the conclusion of the vote and it passes, then the individual is still considered 'dismissed.' An Aye vote is a vote to dismiss the officer, and a Nay vote is a vote to retain the Officer. The Speaker may propose a motion to appoint an Officer of the Underhusen or second an already-introduced motion.

If a vote is tied, the bill shall be directed to the Overhusen to determine the outcome. For matters concerning the appointment or dismissal of Officers of the Underhusen, the vote is considered to have failed unless otherwise stated within this or other relevant law.

I'd like to introduce the following version of this bill. I've made some grammatical corrections and added some necessary punctuation. Until the Grammar Amendment Simplification Act passes, this is necessary to do.

You could just have told me what to change which is customary for grammar and punctuation changes Katie...
    Old Signature

Advisor to the Riksråd
    Positions I've held
    Member of the WHR
    6th Underhusen
    Royalty of Wintreath
    1st Underhusen
    2nd Underhusen
    3rd Underhusen
    6th Underhusen
    8th Underhusen
    5th Overhusen
    Chanku
    Katie
  • Former Citizen
  • The Cheese
  • You could just have told me what to change which is customary for grammar and punctuation changes Katie...
    There were too many. This was easier.

Resumé
    Contact

Wintreath

Other
    Katie
    • The Cheese
    • hoh
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      She/Her/Hers
      Familial House
      Ostergaard
      Wintreath Nation
    Chanku
  • Citizen
  • You could just have told me what to change which is customary for grammar and punctuation changes Katie...
    There were too many. This was easier.
    I somewhat disagree, but I accepted the changes for the most part, I also corrected an error in the amended Section 14(f). The only change I didn't necessarily accept was the change for the amendment of Section 7(a), for a few reasons. I did, however, introduce a different change which also actually does change some other weird things. It keeps the older initial wording, but also just exempts any matter of the Underhusen or any matter without a bill attached (For example, a pure motion), except as required by any other relevant law. This also has the nice little effect of removing some ambiguity in how a tied seating act works, in that it fails instead of requiring the OH to actually vote on it.
    1 person likes this post: Katie
    Old Signature

Advisor to the Riksråd
    Positions I've held
    Member of the WHR
    6th Underhusen
    Royalty of Wintreath
    1st Underhusen
    2nd Underhusen
    3rd Underhusen
    6th Underhusen
    8th Underhusen
    5th Overhusen
    Chanku
    Katie
  • Former Citizen
  • The Cheese
  • I move to vote
    1 person likes this post: trader

Resumé
    Contact

Wintreath

Other
    Katie
    • The Cheese
    • hoh
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      She/Her/Hers
      Familial House
      Ostergaard
      Wintreath Nation
    Doc
  • Citizen
  • I somehow missed this.
    Second.
    Proud Burner
    Doc
    • it's karma, man
    • Citizen
    • Wintreath Nation
    Chanku
  • Citizen
  • Motion Passes
    Old Signature

Advisor to the Riksråd
    Positions I've held
    Member of the WHR
    6th Underhusen
    Royalty of Wintreath
    1st Underhusen
    2nd Underhusen
    3rd Underhusen
    6th Underhusen
    8th Underhusen
    5th Overhusen
    Chanku