Pages: [1] 2

A Commendation Proposal

Wintermoot
  • Regional Stability Squad
  • The Greyscale Magi-Monk
  • It has been some time since I've tried my hand at writing legislation, but I have been wanting to propose this particular legislation to the Storting for some time now. We often honour important people who have come and gone as we should, but sometimes I think we forget to also honour the people who have been making an impact for a long time and are still here with us today.

To that end, I propose a commendation of Chanku, someone who has not just been with us for a long time, but was the very first person to become a Citizen here as a new player to NS...in many ways you could say he is Wintreath's most native son. The fact of the matter is, his many contributions to the region and community have been overlooked because many of them have taken place over a long time and are in areas that are outside of the purview of the Monarchy and the ministry/nobility system, such as building a legislative and legal culture. I think it's time to rectify that and honor someone who has been part of the community, contributed and tried out ideas, and made an impact since nearly the very beginning. I hope the next Storting will agree when it assumes office.

I went an additional step and wrote a first draft for a commendation that I hope will do Chanku justice for a first draft, since I've given people shit before for writing inadequate commendations. Part of the draft would confer an honor title to him for his role in defending the region: Champion of the Just. This is a phrase from Dragon Age's Chant of Light from a portion of the chant that I felt was quite fitting for him because of that:

Blessed are they who stand before
    The corrupt and the wicked and do not falter.
    Blessed are the peacekeepers, the champions of the just.

We've never done such a thing before, so I did some research to see if it was appropriate for a legislative body to confer honor titles. I found that there is precedent where it has been done in the real world before, particularly in the Roman Senate, so I believe it is appropriate if the Storting feels the desire to do so. I can't think of anything that would forbid the Storting from doing so, in any case.

Anyways, the draft is below...feel free to post thoughts, ideas, and suggestions, especially if you feel like there's something I missed. I did a good amount of research before writing this, but five years is a long time for one person to recall and research. :)

Title
    1) This act shall be cited as the Chanku Commendation Act.

Recognitions
    2) The Storting recognizes that Chanku was the first Citizen to make Wintreath her original home, and that she has since been a prominent member of Wintreath's forum and IRC/Discord community, where she has contributed to Wintreath's special and freewheeling culture.

3) The Storting recognizes that Chanku has been an instrumental driver of Wintrean parliamentary and legal culture, particularly through her unparalleled belief in and devotion to the Underhusen as an institution, through such accomplishments as:
    a) Having ran as a candidate for Underhusen in every election since the Storting was established, currently a span lasting over five years and growing.
    b) Having been elected to 14 Underhusen sessions, where the Underhusen placed its faith in her by selecting her as its Speaker for 7 of those sessions and its Speaker Pro Tempore for another 3 of those sessions.
    c) Having represented the Monarchy in parliamentary matters for an additional session as Chairperson of the Overhusen.
    d) Having authored, co-authored, or influenced a number of acts that have passed into law, including the Citizenship and Demonym Act, the Code of Criminal Laws, the Default Seats of the Underhusen Act, and the Procedural Rules Speaker and Officers Amendment.
    e) Having tested the region's legal system by bringing its first and currently only lawsuit.

4) The Storting recognizes that Chanku has also served in many other government roles, including Jarl of Foreign Affairs and Regional Gameplay Advisor. Additionally, she was involved in our regional military, the Hvitt Riddiral, through most of its entire existance, from being a trainee in its first operations to serving as Jarl of Defense for over a year.
    a) In particular, as Jarl of Foreign Affairs, Chanku created the first formal Ministry mandate in Wintreath's history, which reorganized the ministry and in part led to a revival of the ministry and in foreign affairs unseen since the period right  after the region was founded.

5) The Storting recognizes Chanku as a stalwart defender of the region, its community, its principles, and its Monarch in cases where it has been the target of untruths and slander, particularly during:
    a) The events of July 2015, when several prominent Citizens announced their intent to overthrow the Monarchy. Her defense led her to being inappropriately banned by one of the Citizens involved who was also a chat op.
    b) The events of March 2018, when The Versutian Federation closed relations with Wintreath for reasons based on incorrect facts collected through poor research on their part. Her actions, along with those of others, resulted in a restoration of relations.
    c) The events of May-July 2018 during the Lazarus Constitutional Convention, where she often sacrificed his own personal standing among the powers that be in that region in fighting untruths leveled against the region and its Monarch. Her actions in part inspired a renewed regional focus on foreign affairs, which included her own appointment as Regional Gameplay Advisor and later her second appointment as Jarl of Foreign Affairs.

Commendation
    6) Recognizing these feats as fact, the Storting hereby awards Chanku the Commendation of Wintreath.

7) Recognizing the lengths Chanku has gone to in order to defend the region and its honour, the Storting additionally  grants her the honor title of "Champion of the Just".

Oh yeah, I hope that this will also spur more recolonization of others as well...I hardly think Chanku is the only person worthy of more recognition, just the one who is most overdue for it.
    2 people like this post: Gerrick, taulover
    « Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 04:17:48 AM by Wintermoot »

I went all the way to Cassadega to commune with the dead
    They said "You'd better look alive"
    Wintermoot
    • Weather: ❄️
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation
    taulover
  • Seeker of Knowledge
  • My currently sleep addled brain likes this.

Especially how it establishes a gold standard and precedent for high quality commendation acts.

And while Chanku has been... controversial... in the past, I do think the Commendation and new title befits him.
    1 person likes this post: Wintermoot
    Résumé
    Wintreath:
    Citizen: 8 April 2015 - present
    From the Ashes RP Game Master: 29 November 2015 - 24 July 2018
    Skydande Vakt Marshal: 29 November 2015 - 28 February 2017
    Skrifa of the 13th Underhusen: 13 December 2015 - 8 February 2016
    RP Guild Councillor: 9 February 2016 - 6 March 2018
    Ambassador to Lovely: 23 February 2016 - 17 August 2016
    Werewolf VII co-host: 11 May 2016 - 5 June 2016
    Skrifa of the 18th Underhusen: 8 October 2016 - 7 December 2016
    Ambassador to Balder: 1 December 2016 - 1 March 2022
    Skrifa of the 19th Underhusen: 7 December 2016 - 9 February 2017
    Ambassador to the INWU: 11 March 2017 - 1 March 2022
    Ambassador to the Versutian Federation: 18 August 2017 - 22 March 2018
    Thane of Integration: 29 September 2017 - 7 March 2018
    Speaker of the 24th Underhusen: 10 October 2017 - 7 December 2017
    October 2017 Wintreath's Finest: 4 November 2017
    Speaker pro tempore of the 25th Underhusen: 9 December 2017 - 7 February 2018
    Wintreath's Finest of 2017: 6 January 2018
    Werewolf XIV host: 20 January 2018 - 23 February 2018
    February 2018 Wintreath's Finest: 5 March 2018
    Thane of Embassy Dispatches / Foreign Releases and Information / Foreign Dispatches: 7 March 2018 - 15 March 2020
    Speaker of the 28th Underhusen: 10 June 2018 - 7 August 2018
    Second Patriarch of the Noble House of Valeria: 10 October 2018 - present
    Arena Game 6 Host: 28 December 2018 - 9 March 2019
    Librarian of the Underhusen: 29 January 2019 - 12 February 2019
    Speaker of the 32nd Underhusen: 12 February 2019 - 8 April 2019
    March 2019 Wintreath's Finest: 4 April 2019
    Librarian of the Underhusen: 12 April 2019 - 23 October 2020
    Commendation of Wintreath: 24 September 2020
    Peer of the Overhusen: 9 December 2020 - 8 February 2021
    Vice Chancellor of the Landsraad: 26 May 2021 - 15 September 2022
    Arena Game 8 Host: 10 June 2021 - 19 July 2021
    June 2021 Wintreath's Finest: 5 July 2021
    Regional Stability Squad: 28 February 2023 - present
    Minecraft Server Admin: 8 March 2023 - present

Aura Hyperia/New Hyperion:
    Plebeian: 16 April 2014 - 21 July 2014
    Patrician: 21 July 2014 - present
    Adeptus Mechanicus: 24 October 2014 - 16 November 2014
    Co-founder of New Hyperion: 29 October 2014 - present
    Lord of Propaganda: 16 November 2014 - present
    Mapmaker for Official Region RP: 27 November 2015 - present
    WACom Delegate: 11 November 2017 - present
    Other positions: Hyperian Guardsman, Hyperian Marine (Rank: Scout)
    taulover
    • Seeker of Knowledge
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    Arenado
  • Citizen
  • Some Random Guy
  • The Commendation, I have no problem with.

The title, though, I am unsure if we could do that. Or if the OH would approve of it. Perhaps their opinion should be sought.
    1 person likes this post: Imaginative Kane
    I Hope You Have A Nice Day :]
    Arenado
    • Some Random Guy
    • Comfortably Numb
    • Citizen
    • Pronouns
      Any/All or They/Them
      Familial House
      Eske
      Wintreath Nation
    Laurentus
  • Count of Highever
  • If there are laws in the way, change them. Specific titles like these are very cool. Far from the generic stuff like count and duke.

Why that title, though?
    In die donker ure skink net duiwels nog 'n dop, 
    Satan sit saam sy kinders en kyk hoe kom die son op. 
    • Count of Highever
    Laurentus
    • Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      The Noble House of Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    Syraj
  • Former Citizen
  • I love it. Much better quality than other commendation or paragon proposals, and like the idea of special titles.
    Résumé

Citizen: 23 June - Present,
    Wintreath's Finest July 2018,
    Speaker Pro Tempore of the 29th, 30th and 31st Underhusen,
    RP Guild Rank: Layman
    Ambassador to Hartfelden: 11 October -
    Present,
    Thane of Roleplay, December 2018 - Present.
    Syraj
    • I am totally not sleazy. My products are top quality.
    • Former Citizen
    • Familial House
      Kaizer
      Wintreath Nation
    Arenado
  • Citizen
  • Some Random Guy
  • Holy heck, I never realized there was a coup attempt in 2015. A little before I showed up, to.
    I Hope You Have A Nice Day :]
    Arenado
    • Some Random Guy
    • Comfortably Numb
    • Citizen
    • Pronouns
      Any/All or They/Them
      Familial House
      Eske
      Wintreath Nation
    Chanku
  • Citizen
  • The Commendation, I have no problem with.

The title, though, I am unsure if we could do that. Or if the OH would approve of it. Perhaps their opinion should be sought.
    With the title, there is legally nothing preventing us from doing so. In fact granting titles like this is required to occur through the Storting, unless it confers nobility which would be under the Monarch's authority.

Holy heck, I never realized there was a coup attempt in 2015. A little before I showed up, to.
    Yeah, I've mentioned it before but it was a period in 2015 or so in which a few people who were IRC Ops and in the government announced they were going to coup, and establish a Republic and remove Wintermoot and stuff. I opposed it, quoting the law. One of them then banned me because I was being annoying.

It ended after Wintermoot got home, accessed the IRC, and fixed everything. Except that Alterra (a member of the 'coup' attempt), did declare a Wintreath Government in-exile for some time...that didn't work out (obviously).
    1 person likes this post: taulover
    See you later space cowboy.
    Old Signature

Current Positions in Wintreath
    Matriarch of House Kaizer
    Speaker of the 29th Underhusen
    Advisor to the Riksråd
    Positions I've held
    Riksrad(1st Jarl of Information, 3rd Jarl of Foreign Affairs, 2nd Jarl of Defense)
    Member of the WHR
    Speaker of the Underhusen (3rd)
    Speaker Pro Tempore of the Underhusen (1st)
    Underhusen Member (1st-3rd)
    Member of the 5th Overhusen
    Chairman of the 5th Overhusen
    6th Underhusen
    Speaker of the 6th Underhusen
    Mandate Holder for Jarl of Defense
    Member of the 8th Storting (Underhusen)
    Royalty of Wintreath
    Ambassador for the Department of Foreign Affairs.
    Underhusen Terms I've been a part of
    1st Underhusen
    2nd Underhusen
    3rd Underhusen
    6th Underhusen
    8th Underhusen
    Overhusen Terms I've been a part of
    5th Overhusen
    Families I've been a part of
    Kaizer - Matriarch (REFORMED)
    Kestar - Child of Wintermoot (REMOVED)
    Chanku
    Crushita
  • Citizen
  • The Potato Pope
  • While I wholeheartedly support the commendation, I have to balk at the title being given to him. "Champion of the Just" feels a bit much. While Chanku has done a lot for this region, to give him such an utterly extraordinary title feels a bit out of place. Firstly, we already have a system of nobility to reward people who have gone above and beyond for the region, and secondly the regional theme certainly isn't the Roman Republic. Next you'll be saying we ought to have a triumph for him :P Either way to put him so above the rest of the citizenry with this title feels too much, the commendation ought to be enough. At the very least a more measured title would be in order.
    4 people like this post: Imaginative Kane, Laurentus, taulover, Michi
    Spoiler
    Held Positions
    Wintreath
    Skirfa of the 12th, 17th, 18th, 19th, 20th, 21st, 22nd, 23rd, 25th, 26th, 27th and 29th Sessions of the Underhusen
    Former Thane of Information
    His Majesty's Court Pet
    Kingdom of Great Britain
    Former Privy Councilor
    Former Prime Minister of the Kingdom of Great Britain
    Former Deputy Prime Minister of the Kingdom of Great Britain x2
    Former Member of Parliament of the Kingdom of Great Britain x4
    Former Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Kingdom of Great Britain x2
    Former Lord of Parliament of the Kingdom of Great Britain x4
    Formerly His Royal Highness, the Viscount Telcontar of Whitby
    Ainur
    Former King of Ainur
    Former Minister of Culture of Ainur x2
    Former Minister of Foreign Affairs of Ainur x2
    Former Senator of Ainur x2
    Former Deputy Speaker of Ainur
    Other Regions
    Former Prime Minister of the British Isles
    Former Prime Minister of the New United Kingdom
    Former Culture Minister of the New United Kingdom
    Former Member of the Parliament of the Canadian Kingdom
    Former Privy Councillor in the Canadian Kingdom
    Former Member of Parliament of the United Kingdom
    [/center]
    • The Potato Pope
    Crushita
    • Historically Accurate
    • Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      The House of Lancaster-Stuart
      Representing
      Wintreath Nation
    Laurentus
  • Count of Highever
  • Have to say I agree, unless we confer a unique title like this onto everyone who's ever gotten a commendation, retroactively. Which, come to think of it, would also be pretty rad.
    3 people like this post: Gerrick, Imaginative Kane, taulover
    • Count of Highever
    Laurentus
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Wintreath Nation
    Wintermoot
  • If there are laws in the way, change them. Specific titles like these are very cool. Far from the generic stuff like count and duke.

Why that title, though?
    This title specifically reflects how I feel about how Chanku zealously defended me and this community during the Lazarus Constitutional Convention.

I've been trying to figure out how to explain what happened in a way that doesn't reopen the painful experience that I went through in the process. Early in the convention, I was asked to join the convention's Council of Natives, whose purpose was to vet people wanting to join the convention to make sure they had been actual natives before. Apparently, I rubbed some prominent people the wrong way in my defense of certain unpopular individuals that others in the council didn't want in, and when IC slander failed to deter me, the powers that be resorted to OOC slander to remove me from the IC position, claiming that I had been involved in OOC misbehaviour.

In NationStates lango, the accusation of "OOC misbehavior" means some kind of action that goes beyond the pale and probably warrants your removal from any and all communities involved with it entirely; things like sexual harassment, doxxing, hacking, etc. But I had done none of those things...their 'evidence' was a log from the public #wintreath channel from back in 2014 that involved me joking around in a slightly racy discussion with several other people, which by the standards of that time wasn't anything remarkable or unusual. However, they went on to claim that because it was a public channel which minors could access, that it counted as OOC misbehaviour.

To be honest, I had expected that I would be removed from the Council, but I had no idea that people would resort to this in order to do so, and I was utterly unprepared to respond to it. Just the claim devastated me for a long while after that, and it was the absolute lowest point in my time on NS. In the resulting argument in the Lazarus Discord, I should have personally defended myself, my character, and this community, but I was too shocked and upset to.

But Chanku did...he not only defended me and my character, but also defended this region and its community, past and present. He did so without regard for his own standing or popularity in that region, incurring the anger of many prominent people in the process. He went through all that trouble and effort not just because we're friends (you all know he has no trouble confronting me when he feels I'm in the wrong), but because he felt it was the right thing to do, and that's who Chanku is...someone who will fight to the end for what he believes is right. On a personal level, I can't tell you how...protected I felt at the time it was going on, when I was too upset to protect myself, and how comforting it was and still is to know that he has my (and our) back when we're being wronged.

That wasn't the end of it...later on when that reasoning ultimately didn't fly, they apparently changed their mind and decided I had actually been removed because accepting Govindia into this community showed that I wasn't a good judge of character (a swipe at the many people in the community who supported and voted to allow him to remain in the community for many years), and still later on there was also some slander regarding my motives in founding Wintreath to begin with, but in each case Chanku was there to forcibly set the record straight and defend that community decision, even though he himself had no love for Gov.

I understand that the justification for this specific title was probably unclear without elaborating on what exactly he did, but I didn't elaborate further in the commendation because I wasn't sure how to without making it more emotional than a piece of legislation probably should be, and to be honest it's still tough to go back through what happened...thinking about it still makes my stomach churn. For me, the selection of this title is personal based on my experiences with what happened, because I feel like he truly stood before corruption and wickedness and didn't falter in his defense...he truly championed this just community.

I hope that clears up why this specific title and why I feel the Chanku is uniquely deserving of it.
    2 people like this post: Gerrick, taulover
    « Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 09:01:52 PM by Wintermoot »

Wintermoot
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation
    Laurentus
  • Count of Highever
  • He's certainly never cared whether his opinion was popular, that's certain.

I have to ask, though: why not also confer a title of nobility?

(Of course this has nothing to do with my wish to have another noble house to compete with.  >:D  ::))
    « Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 09:17:36 PM by Laurentus »
    • Count of Highever
    Laurentus
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Wintreath Nation
    Wintermoot
  • He's certainly never cared whether his opinion was popular, that's certain.

I have to ask, though: why not also confer a title of nobility?

(Of course this has nothing to do with my wish to have another noble house to compete with.  >:D  ::))
    It's certainly possible in the future, but one shouldn't get all the recognitions at the same time. :P

I felt that given so many of Chanku's accomplishments are in the legislative area and are spread over such a vast period of time, recognition from the Storting and community would be more appropriate and meaningful than just recognition from me.

Wintermoot
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation
    trader
  • Former Citizen
  • Wintreath's Unofficial Official Merchant
  • I think that this bill is wonderful. Chanku has been a friend and mentor when it comes to region things, I'm glad that he's getting recognized for his hard work. I know how much Wintreath matters to him and without him, I honestly don't think the region or the forums would be the way they are!

As for the title, "Champion of the Just" isn't really with the theme of the region, I propose his title be "Champion of the Starch", although I can see some questions popping up about his devotion to the Holy Potato, praise be.
    1 person likes this post: Crushita
    Remember, there is no reason to panic, nothing is on fire.
    trader
    • Wintreath's Unofficial Official Merchant
    • Mercury 'trader' Kestar
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Kaizer
      Wintreath Nation
    Wintermoot
  • I think that this bill is wonderful. Chanku has been a friend and mentor when it comes to region things, I'm glad that he's getting recognized for his hard work. I know how much Wintreath matters to him and without him, I honestly don't think the region or the forums would be the way they are!

As for the title, "Champion of the Just" isn't really with the theme of the region, I propose his title be "Champion of the Starch", although I can see some questions popping up about his devotion to the Holy Potato, praise be.
    I don't see how it would be outside the theme, considering it's Nordic with many fantasy elements added in over the years. We've even pulled from Dragon Age lore before...we changed Honorary Citizens to Paragons after I ran into the word there, and Laurentus's title references the Dragon Age town of Highever.

Wintermoot
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation
    Michi
  • Level 167 Caticorn God of Destruction
  • What about "Champion of the Monarch"?

It fits a bit more, and he technically was your specific champion in the example you gave.
    3 people like this post: Laurentus, taulover, Imaginative Kane
    My Wintreath Resumé
    Michi
    • Level 167 Caticorn God of Destruction
    • Wintreath's Official Video Game Enthusiast
    • Pronouns
      Any except it/its
      Orientation
      Michisexual <3
      Familial House
      Valeria