• The Frosty Bugle
    Your Chill Rundown of This Week in Wintreath
    July 8, 2022

Wintreath is On: Discord | Forums | NationStates | Twitter

Too Long; Didn't Read
    What can I do this week?

A Word from the Monarch
    Wintreath's Most Mentioned, Part 1

Not until next week! Courtesy of TGN, who was very excited to see a list.

Welcome to the first edition of Wintreath's Most Mentioned, where I rank the most prominent and influential Wintreans based on the the most objective, the most accurate, and frankly the only measure of prestige that matters: the number of mentions in this publication. No popularity contests, no panels of people patting each other on the back, no subjective opinions, just cold hard data based on the 19 editions of The Frosty Bugle between January and June. This week will cover the first half of the top 10, and next week we'll reveal the top 5 and learn who is Wintreath's Most Mentioned.

So who is among our most mentioned? Let's find out!

Ruguo
    Former Jarl of Foreign Affairs
    Former Jarl of Werewolf

#10: Starting the year as both Jarl of Foreign Affairs and Jarl of Werewolf, Ruguo is best known for designing Werewolf XXII: Of Cores and Turrets, introducing chaotic mechanics made the games more intense and attracted players from outside NationStates for the first time. More recently, they resurrected Wintreath's ambassador program and single-handedly wrote a foreign dispatch, the Aurora Borealis. While Ruguo stepped back from Wintreath in June to focus on their offline life, neither their friendship or their impact on our community has been forgotten.

Stigya
    Jarl of Regional Affairs
    Founder of WARPP

#9: Rising to prominence last year as Founder of the Wintreath Allied Regional Protection Pact and for spearheading its integration into the Wintreath community (for which he was named Wintreath's Finest of 2021), Stigya was fresh to the Cabinet at the beginning of the year. However, he's quickly made his mark in our government, and in March was promoted from Thane of Regional Affairs to Jarl. In that position, Stigya is a liaison between the government and the NationStates RMB community and oversees the moderation of that platform, including banjecting troublesome nations.

Arenado
    Thane of Werewolf
    Host of Werewolf 27: A Golden Affair

#8: Returning to our community after a long absence, Arenado has both retained their reputation as one of the most chill members of our community and taken leading roles over our Werewolf games. In May, Arenado hosted Werewolf 27: A Golden Affair, their first hosting stint since 2016. Then in June they won one of the most competitive elections in our history to become Thane of Werewolf, beating out three other extraordinarily qualified and experienced candidates. Only a few months returned, Arenado has once again become a vital member and leading figure in our community.

TGN
    Thane of Embassies

#7: Starting out as one of the youngest members of our community a few years ago, TGN has steadily matured and taken on more prominent and leading roles in the process. He continues to serve as Thane of Embassies, where he helps the Jarl of Foreign Affairs maintain embassies with our diplomatic partners. He's recently branched out into culture as well, putting together a Countryball group photo for Pride Month and organizing an Among Us event with our friends in India. Many Wintreans see TGN as a future leader of our community, and are excited to see where his journey goes from here.

Dawsinian
    Discord Operator
    Former Jarl of Regional Affairs

#6: A founding member of Wintreath who was deeply involved in the development of our early government, military, and administration, Dawsinian has been a steady presence in Wintreath since his return in 2020. Starting out the year as Jarl of Regional Affairs, he created Wintreath's first Ministry Rule, which organized alliances on the NationStates page. He stepped down in March to focus on other things, but remains as Discord chat op, member of the Joint Moderation Group, and advisory member of the Cabinet, meaning his voice is still heard in Wintreath's halls of power.[/size]

It may seem outlandish to create a ranking based on the number of times people are mentioned in a publication, but The Frosty Bugle touches on just about every aspect of Wintreath. I don't think I could put together a better ranking if I tried, and everyone on the list deserves to be recognized for their unique place in our community. As we've seen in this ranking, people do come and go from communities, but these people are irreplaceable parts of ours, and we're very lucky to have them. Thank you to everyone on this list for helping make Wintreath what it is today, by what you've done and more importantly by who you are.

Next week, we rank the top 5 and reveal who was Wintreath's Most Mentioned for the first half of 2022! Until then, stay frosty.

-Winter

The Welcome Wagon
    Aloha to our new and returning Citizens!
    • Welcome Koranz to the ranks of our Citizens! They have actually been part of the NationStates RMB community and are now branching out to other parts of Wintreath to feel like they're more a part of the overall community.
    • Welcome back to BastionBrit (Greater Gausburg) as well, who returns to Wintreath on a new NationStates nation after being absent for a few months. When applying, he mentioned wanting to be involved with RPs, and has already joined Rollspelskra!
    If you would like to become a Citizen of Wintreath, all you have to do is join our forums and then fill out this form. Citizens gain full rights under our regional constitution, gain access to Citizen-only areas of the forums and Discord, and can participate in our government from our all-Citizen assembly to the Cabinet that runs the day-to-do operations of Wintreath.

Upcoming Events
    All times Eastern. Check out our Discord for the latest gaming events!
    • Jackbox Party Packs (Tentative) - July 9th, 10PM (Discord #gaming/In-Game Channels)
    • Cards Against Humanity - July 11th, 9PM (Discord #zaphyr Channel)

What's Happening Now
    News from Wintreath
    Wintreath Regional Sports League Established!
    Created by Kiddian (Kiddian States) after the success of his World Cup event on the NationStates RMB, the WRSL allows members both their and on the forums to submit sports teams to take part in games like Soccer (or is it Football?), Hockey, and other sports! Forum members who win events may even be awarded snazzy things like badges! If you would like to submit a team, check out the post for more information on how to take part.

July's Official RP is a Murder Mystery! (Link opens to Twitter)
    Kiddian (Kiddian States) unveiled this month's RP, which takes place at Castle Eltemplo Masalto, a 14th century citadel. Who knows what will happen over the course of the month, but I imagine it will involve...murder. And mystery. Check out the topic for the introduction and to join the RP! If you haven't joined our RP guild, Rollspelskra, check out the Looking For Group section below for more info on how to do that too!

Werewolf Game Rating System Announced!
    Following through on a campaign promise, Arenado (North Gralend) unveiled the details of the Werewolf Rating System! This system will allow game hosts to best describe the mechanics and complexity of their game so players can better understand if it matches their familiarity with the game and comfort with chaotic mechanics. It also asks the hosts to specify how many players their game was designed for, to better inform our efforts to promote each game.

Arenado Wins Wintreath's Finest!
    Speaking of Arenado (North Gralend), they also won Wintreath's Finest for June for their taking part in and hosting many gaming events, on top of their work with Werewolf! Arenado beat out Marzipan, who was nominated (by Arenado no less) for their work with our Pride Month and gaming events, and TGN who was nominated for his gaming activity as well. Congratuations to them!

Werewolf 28: Just Desserts has started!
    Our newest Werewolf game has started and the various but unknown desserts are already starting the search for the evil pies (send typecasting pie complaints to Michi (Penguin Dictators). Check out the topic to follow along and see what's going on in the game. Thanks to everybody who joined up!

Read More About It!
    Publications from Wintreans about anything and everything
    Rnesspo World News V
    Views of RP events from TGN (The Greenlandic North). This edition discusses a non-aggression pact between WARPP and Trashkanistan73, a nation that has been in a near-constant state of war with them over the last two years.

Tales of Stigya: The Rise of Roxas
    Stigya (The Stigyan Triumvirate) has updated the area for his story with additional chapters! You can now read through the adventure up to the latest released chapter! Check it out if you haven't already!

New Forum Discussions
    Here are the new discussions on our off-site forums! If one of them interests you, why don’t you add to it with a reply? As we have a few things going on at the moment, the list has been broken down by category!

Rollspelskra - Roleplay

Looking for Group
    The Hearthkeepers: Wintreath's Welcome Wagon
    The Hearthkeepers help keep Wintreath a warm and welcoming community! They welcome and help new members, post daily questions for the community to discuss, create weekly events, and more. Would you like to help keep Wintreath a warm place? Check out the link and contact Michi / Penguin Dictators to join!

Winbassadors: Wintreath’s Face to Other Communities
    Ambassadors (named Winbassadors on the Discord because ambassador was already taken) represent Wintreath to other communities. This involves joining their forums and Discord, keeping track of what’s going on there, posting our dispatches and information, and contributing to our foreign dispatch, the Auora Borealis. If you’re a Citizen and would like to join the Winbassador program, contact Wintermoot on Discord!

The Dungeon Masters: Wintreath's Gaming Leaders
    Dungeon Masters help organize and run gaming nights: everything from Discord games like Cards Against Humanity to video games like Jackbox and Among Us. This is a great way to help contribute to Wintreath’s community that doesn’t involve NationStates, for those Citizens who have moved on from the NS side. If you’re interested in becoming a Dungeon Master, check the linked dispatch!

Rollspelskra: Wintreath's Roleplaying Guild
    Rollspelskra is where the best roleplaying in Wintreath happens, with a focus on well-organized and moderated RPs that follow good etiquette. Join by showing you know the RP fallacies and how to avoid them, then once in propose and vote on monthly official RPs or create and join other RPs created by members. Check the link to explore Rollspelskra and join in on the fun!

Thanks for Reading!
    Did you like this edition of The Frosty Bugle? Be sure to upvote/like this post so that I know people are getting something out of this publication and be encouraged to write more! Also, thanks to our subscribers who are listed below!

@Marzipan, @TGN
    5 people like this post: Arenado, Marzipan, TGN, Svipjoth, taulover

I went all the way to Cassadega to commune with the dead
    They said "You'd better look alive"
    Wintermoot
    • The Greyscale Magi-Monk
    • Weather: ❄️
    • Regional Stability Squad
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation
    TGN
  • Former Citizen
  • CoD Zombies Fan
  • I didnt think the break your own news picture would make it :P
    I’m probably on NS lol
    • CoD Zombies Fan
    TGN
    • Greenlandic
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Kasten
      Wintreath Nation
    Wintermoot
  • @TGN: It was funny...it would have been a crime not to include it. :P

Wintermoot
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation
    Wintermoot
  • The Story Behind the Issue
    TFB #39: Wintreath's Most Mentioned, Part 1

In the past, putting together the leading article was as simple as writing out what I thought about something (thus "The Word of the Monarch" and pasting it in. However, recently we've instead done actual articles that highlight different aspects of our community, and in many cases there's been a story behind them. How did the idea come up? How did it come together? What went into the final product? Behind the Issue aims to tell that story.

This will not be a regular addition to The Frosty Bugle. Sometimes the story really is just me writing what I think about something, and I don't want to commit myself to another weekly writing obligation...but as there's a story and as I feel like, I'll take some time to write them out. Starting with the story behind our current edition: Wintreath's Most Mentioned.

The Original Idea
    Wintreath's Most Mentioned was originally inspired by NationStates Today's Power 20, where a voting panel ranks the 20 most influential players in NationStates gameplay. One of the main criticisms of the series is that members of the voting panel often end up on the list itself, and I thought we could play on that in our own release. My original idea was to have a voting panel as well, and if the result was the same have a tagline such as "because we can pat each other on the back too!", just as a fun edition. But when I mentioned the idea to the Cabinet, the response was not exactly stellar. Even as a fun, light-hearted edition, people still thought it emulated the Power 20 too much, and not in a good way.

The response convinced me that I wasn't on the right track, so the idea went back to the drawing board for awhile.

Inspiration Strikes!
    Then last week I wondered how often each person in Wintreath had been mentioned in The Frosty Bugle over time. I planned to have a topic on this forum with a running tally, like some sort of always-running contest, but halfway through counting I realized this might be the fun basis for a ranking that I'd been looking for. Basing a prominence ranking on number of mentions in a publication does seem zany at first, but it also makes an odd kind of sense. The Frosty Bugle covers just about everything going on in Wintreath, along with aspects that I feel should be highlighted, and the results were completely logical. The first paragraph of the article keeps the snarky style I'd originally imagined, but this is not a joke ranking by any means...it ended up being a genuine ranking that did justice to people who deserve the recognition (I hope it does at least).

I went back to the Cabinet with my list in hand. After letting them guess for the better part of an hour what the list was (which alone made the work of counting up the number of mentions worth it), I revealed it was a ranking based on number of mentions in TFB. Even then there was some doubts, not because it was too much like the other series, but because we have some hardworking people in the Cabinet who feel like they don't deserve the recognition. I have to admit that it felt good to reassure them that they actually do, and I was glad that the ranking ended up being genuine so I could say that.

Putting it All Together
    Writing the article was quick and easy, mostly because they've done and been part of so much that I could mention. In fact, the problem was more figuring out what to exclude to keep people's sections from running on too long. The real problem was with putting together the formatting on the NationStates edition. Usually the leading article is just text with an image or two thrown in, but for this edition I wanted to do something new in a way that would better honour the people on there.

Unfortunately, the options just aren't there to do awesome formatting for the forum edition, which is something I'd like to change in the future. On the other hand, it is possible on the NS edition, but making it happen can be a very frustrating experience. You can't put boxes within boxes in a NS dispatch, you have no way to control the padding of the background-block elements, and you can't control the width of table columns. My original idea was to have the person's name and avatar to the left of the section about them, but the column was so thin that the images were automatically resized to the point of not being recognizable. For a time I didn't it was going to be possible to include avatars at all.

But I sit it aside for a bit, and it came to mind to do something simpler: just put the avatar at the top. I experimented with resizing avatars so that it was large enough to be prominent but not so large that it made the article longer than it should be. The Frosty Bugle is supposed to be a quick, easy read, so I'm always mindful of keeping articles from going on too long (this is also why I split it into 2 parts). Then we ended up talking in the Cabinet Discord channel about the background for Dawsinian's avatar and whether it should be transparent. After a failed attempt from me, TGN made a version that looked really good, and it's the version that ended up in the article. In the process, I stumbled on a way to add padding so the text didn't start right at the edge: put the content in a central table cell with two blank cells on both sides of it. As someone who finds it jarring to read unpadded text, this discovery made me very happy.

All that was left was getting the colors in order. The colors needed to work with both the light and dark NS themes, and I decided to pick two that would alternate. As usual when I need to pick out colors, I used the Coolors Palette Generator until I found two that worked well together. Then I came up with the idea of having dark text on the yellow background and lighter text on the darker background, which made each section pop a little more.

Overall, it took about 5 hours to write and design the leading article (compared to 1 for the usual text and image editions), but it was worth the time and work. I absolutely love the design and the colors, and now that I have the template I imagine it's going to be used a lot in the future. Going forward I hope to have more "community input" articles (like last week's Faces of Pride article), and I think this would be great for those as well as any future rankings.

The Outcome
    On a personal level, I've been very proud of the articles I've been putting together for the recent editions of The Frosty Bugle, and this one is no exception. I think the design on the NS edition is one of the best I've put together for TFB yet, but more importantly the article highlights members of our community who deserve recognition in a way that I hope does them justice. I'm very glad that we ditched the original joking idea for something that turned out more genuine and in-line with what our community is.

The response seems to be positive too, with 53 reads and 12 upvotes on the NS edition and 24 views on the forums after 2 days. I don't entirely know why...I wish I had more insight into why some editions were more popular than others. However, I've noticed that editions that highlight people in our community in some way tend to do better, and I think the recent move from publishing on Sundays to Fridays has helped too. Either way, I hope that people enjoyed reading this week's edition...at the very least, I can say a lot of work went into it. :)
    2 people like this post: TGN, taulover
    « Last Edit: July 10, 2022, 08:06:02 PM by Wintermoot »

Wintermoot
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation
    taulover
  • Seeker of Knowledge
  • I'm always a sucker for stats so I love this. Reminds me of that time you ran the stats on how many likes people gave. Are there exact numbers for these mention counts?
    1 person likes this post: Wintermoot
    Résumé
    Wintreath:
    Citizen: 8 April 2015 - present
    From the Ashes RP Game Master: 29 November 2015 - 24 July 2018
    Skydande Vakt Marshal: 29 November 2015 - 28 February 2017
    Skrifa of the 13th Underhusen: 13 December 2015 - 8 February 2016
    RP Guild Councillor: 9 February 2016 - 6 March 2018
    Ambassador to Lovely: 23 February 2016 - 17 August 2016
    Werewolf VII co-host: 11 May 2016 - 5 June 2016
    Skrifa of the 18th Underhusen: 8 October 2016 - 7 December 2016
    Ambassador to Balder: 1 December 2016 - 1 March 2022
    Skrifa of the 19th Underhusen: 7 December 2016 - 9 February 2017
    Ambassador to the INWU: 11 March 2017 - 1 March 2022
    Ambassador to the Versutian Federation: 18 August 2017 - 22 March 2018
    Thane of Integration: 29 September 2017 - 7 March 2018
    Speaker of the 24th Underhusen: 10 October 2017 - 7 December 2017
    October 2017 Wintreath's Finest: 4 November 2017
    Speaker pro tempore of the 25th Underhusen: 9 December 2017 - 7 February 2018
    Wintreath's Finest of 2017: 6 January 2018
    Werewolf XIV host: 20 January 2018 - 23 February 2018
    February 2018 Wintreath's Finest: 5 March 2018
    Thane of Embassy Dispatches / Foreign Releases and Information / Foreign Dispatches: 7 March 2018 - 15 March 2020
    Speaker of the 28th Underhusen: 10 June 2018 - 7 August 2018
    Second Patriarch of the Noble House of Valeria: 10 October 2018 - present
    Arena Game 6 Host: 28 December 2018 - 9 March 2019
    Librarian of the Underhusen: 29 January 2019 - 12 February 2019
    Speaker of the 32nd Underhusen: 12 February 2019 - 8 April 2019
    March 2019 Wintreath's Finest: 4 April 2019
    Librarian of the Underhusen: 12 April 2019 - 23 October 2020
    Commendation of Wintreath: 24 September 2020
    Peer of the Overhusen: 9 December 2020 - 8 February 2021
    Vice Chancellor of the Landsraad: 26 May 2021 - 15 September 2022
    Arena Game 8 Host: 10 June 2021 - 19 July 2021
    June 2021 Wintreath's Finest: 5 July 2021
    Regional Stability Squad: 28 February 2023 - present
    Minecraft Server Admin: 8 March 2023 - present

Aura Hyperia/New Hyperion:
    Plebeian: 16 April 2014 - 21 July 2014
    Patrician: 21 July 2014 - present
    Adeptus Mechanicus: 24 October 2014 - 16 November 2014
    Co-founder of New Hyperion: 29 October 2014 - present
    Lord of Propaganda: 16 November 2014 - present
    Mapmaker for Official Region RP: 27 November 2015 - present
    WACom Delegate: 11 November 2017 - present
    Other positions: Hyperian Guardsman, Hyperian Marine (Rank: Scout)
    taulover
    • Seeker of Knowledge
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    Wintermoot
  • @taulover: Sorry I've missed this until now. Here are the stats I used for this edition (I haven't calculated stats for the more recent editions). If there was a tie numbers for the January to June editions, I used the overall numbers to break it: 

Google Drive Mentions Spreadsheet
    1 person likes this post: taulover

Wintermoot
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual