Pages: [1]

The Verge: 400 Former/Active Police Officers Found in Extremist Facebook Groups

Wintermoot
  • Regional Stability Squad
  • The Greyscale Magi-Monk
  • Full Article: https://www.theverge.com/2019/6/14/18679598/facebook-hate-groups-law-enforcement-police-officers-racism-islamaphobia

Should be very concerning to civil society, especially the 150 officers that were found to be associating with anti-government militias. It's well known that these militias and white supremacist groups are actively trying to recruit police and military personnel to their causes...these aren't groups that just looking to grow and expand, these are groups that are preparing for war.
    3 people like this post: taulover, Arenado, Gerrick

I went all the way to Cassadega to commune with the dead
    They said "You'd better look alive"
    Wintermoot
    • Weather: ❄️
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation
    Arenado
  • Citizen
  • Some Random Guy
  • Any police officer who disgraces his uniform by joining a anti-government militia should be stripped of his rank and discharged. This is a betrayal of the highest order.
    6 people like this post: taulover, Gerrick, Wintermoot, Michi, Hydra, BraveSirRobin
    I Hope You Have A Nice Day :]
    Arenado
    • Some Random Guy
    • Comfortably Numb
    • Citizen
    • Pronouns
      Any/All or They/Them
      Familial House
      Eske
      Wintreath Nation
    Gerrick
    Facebook also announced a shift away from the News Feed and toward private groups as a way to lessen the influence of its algorithms. The shift also, in a way, absolves the company of responsibility for moderation. If public posts and pages wane in favor of private group activity, the logic is that those groups will self-moderate, and that by nature of being private they’ll reduce the reach of potentially harmful activity, too.
    Yes, this will definitely make Facebook less toxic. By washing its hands of all responsibility, Facebook has taken the high ground. I'm sure hate groups will self-moderate. /s

Now, I'm not saying Facebook should crack down on every group that appears "extremist" (or "radical" or whatever term you want to use) as that's quite subjective, but having self-moderated groups seems like a step backwards. Removing groups altogether seems the better solution.

From another article linked in the original:
    When tapping in, users will now get a personalized feed of updates from their various groups as well as recommendations to join new groups based on their interests.

There’s also a new feature, called Meet New Friends, that Facebook is seeding throughout the entire app to help people connect with strangers that have shared interests or real-world connections, like working for the same employer or attending the same school. Facebook says it is integrating Meet New Friends into its new groups design to help people meet who may have a shared online interest and a real-world connection that means they can connect in the real world.

Facebook is making a concerted effort to ensure groups are visible in every part of the app, so it’ll start promoting groups in areas like Marketplace and Watch.
    As the previous quote says, "by nature of being private they’ll reduce the reach of potentially harmful activity," but Facebook will still promote groups and recommend people to join new groups based on their interests. What if they're interested in hate groups? And now with Meet New Friends, you'll be able to more easily join your local hate group in person. Way to go Facebook!
    « Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 06:22:00 PM by Gerrick »

Duke of Wintreath and Count of Janth
    Patriarch of the Noble House of Burdock
    Curriculum Vitae
    Citizen: 15 November 2015 - present
    Recruitment Contest Winner: December 2015
    Recruitment Contest Winner: January 2016
    Secretary of the 14th Underhusen: 8 February 2016 - 8 April 2016
    RP Guild Councillor: 9 February 2016 - 24 February 2017
    Recruitment Contest Winner: April 2016
    Wintreath's Finest: April 2016
    Ambassador to Nesapo: 5 July 2016 - 13 March 2017
    Jarl of Culture: 30 November 2016 - 13 September 2019
    Wintreath's Finest: November 2016
    Wintreath's Finest: February 2017
    Count of Janth: 17 September 2017 - present
    Patriarch of the Noble House of Burdock: 17 September 2017 - present
    Recruitment Contest Winner: September 2017
    Duke of Wintreath: 13 September 2019 - present
    Wintreath's Finest: September 2019
    Skrifa of the 37th Underhusen: 8 December 2019 - 8 February 2020
    Wintreath's Finest of the Year: 2019
    Commendation of Wintreath: 27 June 2020
    Citizens' Council Member: 14 September 2020 - 8 March 2021
    Skrifa of the 43rd Underhusen: 9 December 2020 - 8 February 2021 🔥

Alder of the Riksraad: 7 June 2021 - 17 June 2021
    Jarl of Culture: 17 June 2021 - 14 November 2021
    Alder of the Riksraad: 14 November 2021 - 1 March 2022
    Regional Stability Squad: 27 February 2023 - present
    Gerrick
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Bisexual
      Familial House
      Burdock
      Wintreath Nation
    Wintermoot
  • If two people have a mutual interest of white supremacy, will Facebook connect them? :))

I see the idea where without the news feed groups will have a harder time spreading by people sharing posts by them, but it wouldn't make much of a difference in cases like this where officers were apparently promoting the groups directly to each other.
    1 person likes this post: Gerrick

I went all the way to Cassadega to commune with the dead
    They said "You'd better look alive"
    Wintermoot
    • Weather: ❄️
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation
    taulover
  • Seeker of Knowledge
  • Removing groups altogether seems highly unlikely and undesirable. There's reasons why Facebook wants to pivot toward groups beyond just absolving themselves of moderation responsibility.

Facebook groups are used for many useful things: student bodies ("Example University Class of 2020" for instance), school clubs, community organizing, buy/sell marketplaces, and meme groups (including the highly influential subtle asian traits and New Urbanist Memes for Transit-Oriented Teens) are just some of the few that come to mind. Personally I joined Facebook because my school clubs used them as the primary means of communication and organizing, and I continue to use Facebook largely due to the groups. Banning every single one of them seems rather counterproductive.

Reddit has shown promise by enforcing rules such as ones against calls to violence, and banning subreddits with lack of proper moderation in this regard. I think a model similar to that one should perhaps be applied to Facebook groups.
    2 people like this post: Imaginative Kane, BraveSirRobin
    Résumé
    Wintreath:
    Citizen: 8 April 2015 - present
    From the Ashes RP Game Master: 29 November 2015 - 24 July 2018
    Skydande Vakt Marshal: 29 November 2015 - 28 February 2017
    Skrifa of the 13th Underhusen: 13 December 2015 - 8 February 2016
    RP Guild Councillor: 9 February 2016 - 6 March 2018
    Ambassador to Lovely: 23 February 2016 - 17 August 2016
    Werewolf VII co-host: 11 May 2016 - 5 June 2016
    Skrifa of the 18th Underhusen: 8 October 2016 - 7 December 2016
    Ambassador to Balder: 1 December 2016 - 1 March 2022
    Skrifa of the 19th Underhusen: 7 December 2016 - 9 February 2017
    Ambassador to the INWU: 11 March 2017 - 1 March 2022
    Ambassador to the Versutian Federation: 18 August 2017 - 22 March 2018
    Thane of Integration: 29 September 2017 - 7 March 2018
    Speaker of the 24th Underhusen: 10 October 2017 - 7 December 2017
    October 2017 Wintreath's Finest: 4 November 2017
    Speaker pro tempore of the 25th Underhusen: 9 December 2017 - 7 February 2018
    Wintreath's Finest of 2017: 6 January 2018
    Werewolf XIV host: 20 January 2018 - 23 February 2018
    February 2018 Wintreath's Finest: 5 March 2018
    Thane of Embassy Dispatches / Foreign Releases and Information / Foreign Dispatches: 7 March 2018 - 15 March 2020
    Speaker of the 28th Underhusen: 10 June 2018 - 7 August 2018
    Second Patriarch of the Noble House of Valeria: 10 October 2018 - present
    Arena Game 6 Host: 28 December 2018 - 9 March 2019
    Librarian of the Underhusen: 29 January 2019 - 12 February 2019
    Speaker of the 32nd Underhusen: 12 February 2019 - 8 April 2019
    March 2019 Wintreath's Finest: 4 April 2019
    Librarian of the Underhusen: 12 April 2019 - 23 October 2020
    Commendation of Wintreath: 24 September 2020
    Peer of the Overhusen: 9 December 2020 - 8 February 2021
    Vice Chancellor of the Landsraad: 26 May 2021 - 15 September 2022
    Arena Game 8 Host: 10 June 2021 - 19 July 2021
    June 2021 Wintreath's Finest: 5 July 2021
    Regional Stability Squad: 28 February 2023 - present
    Minecraft Server Admin: 8 March 2023 - present

Aura Hyperia/New Hyperion:
    Plebeian: 16 April 2014 - 21 July 2014
    Patrician: 21 July 2014 - present
    Adeptus Mechanicus: 24 October 2014 - 16 November 2014
    Co-founder of New Hyperion: 29 October 2014 - present
    Lord of Propaganda: 16 November 2014 - present
    Mapmaker for Official Region RP: 27 November 2015 - present
    WACom Delegate: 11 November 2017 - present
    Other positions: Hyperian Guardsman, Hyperian Marine (Rank: Scout)
    taulover
    • Seeker of Knowledge
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    Michi
  • Level 167 Caticorn God of Destruction
  • I mean, I'm in a couple of video-game centric groups right now, and they're a blast.  That, and I'm also in a group of online friends of mine from a now-extinct forum we used to be a part of for a couple of years.

The former, I'm fine being without, but I'd prefer not having the latter suddenly disappear because Facebook decided to remove groups because they can't think of better ways to moderate.  Just because they're refusing to take a stance on anything (because they want to remain "neutral") doesn't mean everyone should be removed from their groups as a consequence.
    2 people like this post: Imaginative Kane, taulover
    My Wintreath Resumé
    Michi
    • Wintreath's Official Video Game Enthusiast
    • Pronouns
      Any except it/its
      Orientation
      Michisexual <3
      Familial House
      Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    Michi
  • Actually, looking back the idea makes me think of IMDB's change up they did.

Some time ago, IMDB used to have messageboards where you could talk about the various content (shows, actors etc...) on little mini boards on every page.

The problem is, the moderators were never really doing their job, so there were a lot of trolling threads, flaming threads/posts, you know the drill.

Rather than actually getting the mods into gear, IMDB decided to just completely remove the messageboards across the website, so now the only user input comes from reviews...which, like most review places, are normally heavily skewed because of paid ones that get pushed to the front of the page.
    My Wintreath Resumé
    Michi
    • Wintreath's Official Video Game Enthusiast
    • Pronouns
      Any except it/its
      Orientation
      Michisexual <3
      Familial House
      Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    BraveSirRobin
  • My Dear Jean-Luc!
  • Reddit has shown promise by enforcing rules such as ones against calls to violence, and banning subreddits with lack of proper moderation in this regard. I think a model similar to that one should perhaps be applied to Facebook groups.
    The problem is that Facebook has no incentive to implement something like this.  Their entire business model is based upon generating clicks, and the most effective way to increase user time on platform/get more interaction is by generating more outrageous or inflammatory content.  And because Zuckerberg has shown no interest in completely removing the profit aspect of the company, or even partly controlling it, Facebook sends mixed messages.  To Congress and the public, everything is about how Facebook will reduce its personal responsibility for extremism on its platforms.  To shareholders, its emphasis is an expansion of user time on platform and increased user interaction.  The current trainwreck to me seems to be largely the result of an incongruity in the way Facebook operates.  It simultaneously is viewed as a utility of sorts by the government and as a major advertising market by its shareholders.  The result is Facebook's "solutions" which remove company responsibility for content while emphasizing groups—which have been identified by algorithms as generating the most interacted-with content.  What the algorithm fails to consider, however, is that the content generated is increasingly inflammatory/radical.  The political groups are echo chambers 9/10 times, which serves to further radicalize the population into little ingroups.  While this microfragmentation is good for generating activity, it isn't healthy for wider society because it serves to further isolate groupings and break down areas where everyone is forced to engage in common dialogue. 

tl;dr: not sure Facebook is willing to implement any actual constructive policy, because its profits/growth are fundamentally at odds with being a responsible company.
    1 person likes this post: taulover
    Sir Robin of Camelot

"Whilst the men of Caenia were scattered far and wide, pillaging and destroying, Romulus came upon them with an army, and after a brief encounter taught them that anger is futile without strength."  -Titus Livius, Ab Urbe Condita

(Ravenclaw is the best!)

Résumé/A History of Robin on NationStates
    Wintreath:
    Citizen: 4 June 2015 - present
    Member of the Hvitt Riddaral: 21 August 2015 - present
    Strifa of the 12th Underhusen: 8 October 2015 - 13 December 2015
    Speaker Pro Tem of the 13th Underhusen: 13 December 2015 - 8 February 2016
    Speaker Pro Tem of the 14th Underhusen: 8 February 2016 - 8 April 2016
    Speaker of the 16th Underhusen: 10 June 2016 - 11 August 2016
    Ambassador to Europeia: 5 December 2016 - present
    RP Guild Councillor: 23 February 2017 - present
    Ambassador to The North Pacific: 11 March 2017 - present
    Speaker of the 21st Underhusen: 10 April 2017 - 10 June 2017
    Delegate of Wintreath: 10 June 2017 - 15 March 2020
    Strifa of the 23rd Underhusen: 10 August 2017 - 10 November 2017
    Thane of Ambassadors: 10 October 2018 - 10 December 2018
    Commendation of Wintreath: Sept 24 2020

New Hyperion:
    Citizen: 27 November 2015 - present
    Patrician: 12 January 2016 - present
    Lord of Development: 5 February 2016 - present

(I stole this format from tau, but who am I not to copy a great system? :-) )

Ne Crustumini quidem atque Antemnates pro ardore iraque Caeninensium satis se impigre movent; ita per se ipsum nomen Caeninum in agrum Romanum impetum facit. Sed effuse vastantibus fit obvius cum exercitu Romulus levique certamine docet vanam sine viribus iram esse.
    BraveSirRobin
    • My Dear Jean-Luc!
    • We Meet Again, Mon Capitaine!!
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      The Noble House of Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    taulover
  • Seeker of Knowledge
  • Reddit has shown promise by enforcing rules such as ones against calls to violence, and banning subreddits with lack of proper moderation in this regard. I think a model similar to that one should perhaps be applied to Facebook groups.
    The problem is that Facebook has no incentive to implement something like this.  Their entire business model is based upon generating clicks, and the most effective way to increase user time on platform/get more interaction is by generating more outrageous or inflammatory content.  And because Zuckerberg has shown no interest in completely removing the profit aspect of the company, or even partly controlling it, Facebook sends mixed messages.  To Congress and the public, everything is about how Facebook will reduce its personal responsibility for extremism on its platforms.  To shareholders, its emphasis is an expansion of user time on platform and increased user interaction.  The current trainwreck to me seems to be largely the result of an incongruity in the way Facebook operates.  It simultaneously is viewed as a utility of sorts by the government and as a major advertising market by its shareholders.  The result is Facebook's "solutions" which remove company responsibility for content while emphasizing groups—which have been identified by algorithms as generating the most interacted-with content.  What the algorithm fails to consider, however, is that the content generated is increasingly inflammatory/radical.  The political groups are echo chambers 9/10 times, which serves to further radicalize the population into little ingroups.  While this microfragmentation is good for generating activity, it isn't healthy for wider society because it serves to further isolate groupings and break down areas where everyone is forced to engage in common dialogue. 

tl;dr: not sure Facebook is willing to implement any actual constructive policy, because its profits/growth are fundamentally at odds with being a responsible company.
    Very true, and I think this is also why Reddit, though better at this, still only tends to act when media coverage occurs and their advertiser sources are thus threatened.
    1 person likes this post: Red Mones
    Résumé
    Wintreath:
    Citizen: 8 April 2015 - present
    From the Ashes RP Game Master: 29 November 2015 - 24 July 2018
    Skydande Vakt Marshal: 29 November 2015 - 28 February 2017
    Skrifa of the 13th Underhusen: 13 December 2015 - 8 February 2016
    RP Guild Councillor: 9 February 2016 - 6 March 2018
    Ambassador to Lovely: 23 February 2016 - 17 August 2016
    Werewolf VII co-host: 11 May 2016 - 5 June 2016
    Skrifa of the 18th Underhusen: 8 October 2016 - 7 December 2016
    Ambassador to Balder: 1 December 2016 - 1 March 2022
    Skrifa of the 19th Underhusen: 7 December 2016 - 9 February 2017
    Ambassador to the INWU: 11 March 2017 - 1 March 2022
    Ambassador to the Versutian Federation: 18 August 2017 - 22 March 2018
    Thane of Integration: 29 September 2017 - 7 March 2018
    Speaker of the 24th Underhusen: 10 October 2017 - 7 December 2017
    October 2017 Wintreath's Finest: 4 November 2017
    Speaker pro tempore of the 25th Underhusen: 9 December 2017 - 7 February 2018
    Wintreath's Finest of 2017: 6 January 2018
    Werewolf XIV host: 20 January 2018 - 23 February 2018
    February 2018 Wintreath's Finest: 5 March 2018
    Thane of Embassy Dispatches / Foreign Releases and Information / Foreign Dispatches: 7 March 2018 - 15 March 2020
    Speaker of the 28th Underhusen: 10 June 2018 - 7 August 2018
    Second Patriarch of the Noble House of Valeria: 10 October 2018 - present
    Arena Game 6 Host: 28 December 2018 - 9 March 2019
    Librarian of the Underhusen: 29 January 2019 - 12 February 2019
    Speaker of the 32nd Underhusen: 12 February 2019 - 8 April 2019
    March 2019 Wintreath's Finest: 4 April 2019
    Librarian of the Underhusen: 12 April 2019 - 23 October 2020
    Commendation of Wintreath: 24 September 2020
    Peer of the Overhusen: 9 December 2020 - 8 February 2021
    Vice Chancellor of the Landsraad: 26 May 2021 - 15 September 2022
    Arena Game 8 Host: 10 June 2021 - 19 July 2021
    June 2021 Wintreath's Finest: 5 July 2021
    Regional Stability Squad: 28 February 2023 - present
    Minecraft Server Admin: 8 March 2023 - present

Aura Hyperia/New Hyperion:
    Plebeian: 16 April 2014 - 21 July 2014
    Patrician: 21 July 2014 - present
    Adeptus Mechanicus: 24 October 2014 - 16 November 2014
    Co-founder of New Hyperion: 29 October 2014 - present
    Lord of Propaganda: 16 November 2014 - present
    Mapmaker for Official Region RP: 27 November 2015 - present
    WACom Delegate: 11 November 2017 - present
    Other positions: Hyperian Guardsman, Hyperian Marine (Rank: Scout)
    taulover
    • Seeker of Knowledge
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Valeria
      Wintreath Nation

Pages: [1]