Pages: [1]

Educational systems

tatte
  • Citizen
  • Deep-fried cabbage
  • Man this thread was hard to name, better suggestions are welcome.

This topic continues to elude clarity for me, so I decided to start a discussion about it. Let's see if this will help me to better understand especially the system United States is using.

For a quick start I created a chart illustrating Finnish system.

All degrees are free. You receive financial support starting from second degree, and can receive said support indefinitely if you choose to gain several professions. Financial support for third degree is more restricted so students would be motivated to graduate in time, but in reality as your studies stretch you simply switch from one form of financial aid to another.

There are no age restrictions after basic degree, you're never too old to go back and get further free education.

Second degree studies can be mixed, meaning you can get a profession in one school and also bury your head in books in another. This however leads to generally narrower education in both fields, as the duration is the same.

In third degree such compromises don't exist, you can only gain entrance to one school per year, but you can apply for another school later and try to balance both simultaneously. Additionally there are Open Academies where anyone can take courses, those cost but can advance your main studies in subjects that are not directly available in your school. *drops a huge pile of more exceptions* You love studying? Come to Finland!

TL;DR In what kind of layers is education sorted in your country? Can someone explain for the last time how American College/University system compares to Finnish structure?

@Hugsim is there differences between Finnish and Swedish systems?
    « Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 10:00:00 AM by tatte »
    tatte
    • Deep-fried cabbage
    • Citizen
    • Wintreath Nation
    Hugsim
  • Citizen
  • The Formerly Right Honourable
  • @Hugsim is there differences between Finnish and Swedish systems?
    The Swedish system is pretty much the same. There's some minor differences, for example the two first stages in the Finnish system is bunched together into the Swedish "Grundskola". Secondary education is known as "Gymnasieskola" and tertiary as "Högskola" or "Universitet".
    Skrifa of the 8th Underhusen
    Speaker of the 7th Underhusen
    Acting speaker of the 6th Underhusen
    • The Formerly Right Honourable
    Hugsim
    • Citizen
    • Familial House
      Everden
      Wintreath Nation

Pages: [1]