Pages: 1 [2]

Do we still need a court system?

Emoticonius
  • Former Citizen
  • Supreme Grand Admiral of The Emoticonian Army
  • That was actually fixed after our trial Pengu :P

In any case, to be honest I think our current system works fine for our likings. First off using the court to try and change things would be very difficult, unless you get 100% of all seats in the Underhusen, because each Justice is selected from the Storting at random. Additionally, most of our disputes in Wintreath involve laws and the interpretation of them, therefore a Judiciary has marginally more use here, and we don't need a system that would be a glorified security council that just sits around and does little.

In any case, I do intend to introduce a Judicial Code to fix our procedures, and perhaps try some new things in Wintreath (and in NS in general), I'm just working to make sure I get the basics right.

You say "glorified security council" as if it were a bad thing.

Also one doesn't need 100% of the UH. In NS people are manipulated all the time. Just one person can sway the opinion of the entire UH and very possibly the OH as well. I'm not saying our current system is bad. I'm just saying it's as vulnerable as any other.
    “I support anyone’s right to be who they want to be. My question is: to what extent do I have to participate in your self-image?” - Dave Chappelle
    7:42 PM <Govindia> eh, i like the taste of nuts in my mouth

Potential clients should PM or Query Emoticonius
    Emoticonius
    • Supreme Grand Admiral of The Emoticonian Army
    • Crasher Endorsed, Native Approved
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Kaizer
      Representing
      Wintreath Nation
    Laurentus
  • Regional Stability Squad
  • Count of Highever
  • I'll hold off on putting up that poll until we've read Chanku's proposed changes.

Although I must say a glorified security council would be silly here, as we've already pointed out we have a founder.
    1 person likes this post: Chanku
    « Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 12:57:20 PM by Laurentus »
    In die donker ure skink net duiwels nog 'n dop, 
    Satan sit saam sy kinders en kyk hoe kom die son op. 
    • Count of Highever
    Laurentus
    • Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
    • Regional Stability Squad
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      The Noble House of Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    Chanku
  • Citizen
  • You say "glorified security council" as if it were a bad thing.

Also one doesn't need 100% of the UH. In NS people are manipulated all the time. Just one person can sway the opinion of the entire UH and very possibly the OH as well. I'm not saying our current system is bad. I'm just saying it's as vulnerable as any other.
    It kinda is, as others have mentioned a security council is effectively useless for Wintreath because of two reasons:
    1) We are a Foundered UCR
    2) We are not really a democracy (almost all of our positions are appointed).
    Because of this we don't necessarily need to worry about security as much as our existing bodies handle this well enough, and we don't need to create a body that will just sit around twiddling their thumbs most of the time.

Additionally you would in order to guarantee the outcome of a trial. Aside from that the only real way a trial can be swayed is through arguments as permitted in the procedures, and by the submission of Amicus Briefs. Any other way would be an undue extertation of influence and I would request a new trial be held because of it, additionally I intend to make actively reaching out and soliciting a Judge to try and sway them to be a criminal matter and require a new court, and/or the setting aside of judgement by the Monarch. Furthermore you are insinuating anyone in Wintreath really has the influence to manipulate and sway a Judicial Panel, which I highly doubt would be easy and the only person that MIGHT have enough soft power is Wintermoot, but I do not foresee him doing so as it would be out of character and create strong objections within the Citizenry. Further even IF the Judicial Panel were to be manipulated by someone, the Monarch would also have to be manipulated or otherwise captured in order to ensure an outcome, as the Monarch can (upon the appeal of someone in relation to a case), overturn such a verdict. Further, would it really be that much harder to influence a glorified security council if you are REALLY concerned about undue influence?

I also wish to note that you ignored the last part of my response, which shows that a Security Council would be ineffective and ill-suited for the main usage of a Judiciary in Wintreath, which is to settle matters of law which is what all of our cases have effectively been about (even the case with Doc, while ridiculous, was mostly about matters of our law and whether or not suing oneself is permitted and the powers of the judiciary more than anything else). Additionally it's not like our Judiciary sits all the time, it just exists for each case.

But in any case, I would like for everyone to wait until I have my reforms posted before making a decision, because I do think my reforms will lead to things working out a bit better, and make Judicial Proceedings make more sense.
    See you later space cowboy.
    Old Signature

Current Positions in Wintreath
    Matriarch of House Kaizer
    Speaker of the 29th Underhusen
    Advisor to the Riksråd
    Positions I've held
    Riksrad(1st Jarl of Information, 3rd Jarl of Foreign Affairs, 2nd Jarl of Defense)
    Member of the WHR
    Speaker of the Underhusen (3rd)
    Speaker Pro Tempore of the Underhusen (1st)
    Underhusen Member (1st-3rd)
    Member of the 5th Overhusen
    Chairman of the 5th Overhusen
    6th Underhusen
    Speaker of the 6th Underhusen
    Mandate Holder for Jarl of Defense
    Member of the 8th Storting (Underhusen)
    Royalty of Wintreath
    Ambassador for the Department of Foreign Affairs.
    Underhusen Terms I've been a part of
    1st Underhusen
    2nd Underhusen
    3rd Underhusen
    6th Underhusen
    8th Underhusen
    Overhusen Terms I've been a part of
    5th Overhusen
    Families I've been a part of
    Kaizer - Matriarch (REFORMED)
    Kestar - Child of Wintermoot (REMOVED)
    Chanku