Pages: [1]

Civ VI (6) Announced

I would like to see your opinions on the announcement of the new Civ 6 and on what we know so far.
Commander_Zemas
Wintermoot
  • Regional Stability Squad
  • The Greyscale Magi-Monk
  • It's almost certain to have buggy, nearly-unplayable multiplayer. :P
    1 person likes this post: Commander_Zemas

I went all the way to Cassadega to commune with the dead
    They said "You'd better look alive"
    Wintermoot
    • Weather: ❄️
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation
    Seroim
  • Former Citizen
  • Graphics are beyond shit. I absolutely utterly almost impossibly HATE the art style they went with. This cartoony bullshit is ridiculously unfit for a pseudo-historical game. I want to be immersed, I don't want to feel like I'm playing make-believe with Play-Doh or worse, Age of Empires Online.

Cities are going to suffer through the same treatment as armies, they're going to be spread over the map as you build shit in them. This is something Endless Legend already does and it works pretty well for Endless Legend. I don't know how it'd work in a Civ game because there are so many buildings : city buildings, wonders, improvements (they're probably getting the ax). They mentioned that a city would be able to control the same amount of tiles as in Civ 5. This could end up hurting either city management or building tall because either the building is going to have to be simplified or you're going to have to build multiple, specialized cities to hold all that shit in.

Armies are not getting un-1UPT, but we all suspected that. They mentioned they'd be a bit more open to exceptions this time around. The big problem I have with 1UPT is that Civ armies are too big for that and also that Civ maps are too small for that. It's real easy to get into a fucking 1-tile chokepoint where you can't do shit. It's also really easy to end up in a terrible clusterfuck that is as boring as it is annoying as you try to find space to move your army through, even in more open scenarios. I don't see the problem with doomstacks, but I'm more of a GSG player than a 4X guy.

Tech is now supposed to be dependent on your geographical position and your available resources which is pretty nice and pretty annoying at the same time. For example, they want to make it so having a quarry makes researching Masonry much faster. Your start already has so much effect on your whole game, I'm not keen on giving it even more importance. At the same time, landlocked civs being able to research ship techs was pretty silly.

The agenda shit sounds like Civ 4's personalities or something. EUIV does almost the same shit. Not really "new". All I wanna know is if the AI is gonna be as brain dead as it was in 5.

The most grating issue to me is that the game is $80 FUCKING CANADIAN DOLLARS I HATE THE OIL-BASED DEVALUATION SO MUCH MY INCOME HASN'T FUCKING CHANGED BUT THE PRICES SURE FUCKING DID WHAT THE FUCK HOW DID PRICES GO UP BY $30 IN LIKE A YEAR IN A HALF, ISN'T IT FUNNY THAT WHEN THE CAD APPRECIATED A FEW YEARS AGO, IT WAS ON PAR WITH THE USD FOR THE LONGEST FUCKING TIME AND YET PRICES TOOK FOREVER AND A HALF TO FALL BY $10

AND WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH THAT $110 "DIGITAL DELUXE EDITION" THAT SUPPOSEDLY GIVES YOU A REBATE ON 4 DLC THAT NOBODY KNOWS ANYTHING ABOUT

THIS IS GOING TO BE LIKE CIV 5 WHERE YOU HAVE TO BUY EVERYTHING TO HAVE A NOT SHIT GAME ISN'T IT

WAY TO GO FIRAXIS, WAY TO RUIN THE SERIES

BUT I'M NOT SURPRISED CONSIDERING YOU FUCKED UP MY MOST ANTICIPATED GAME OF ALL TIME

A FUCKING SPIRITUAL SEQUEL TO ALPHA FUCKING CENTAURI

YOU FUCKED IT UP BAD

I'M NOT PAYING $80+ TO WITNESS YOU GUYS SHIT ON ONE OF MY FAVOURITE SERIES. AGAIN.

SEROIM OUT
    1 person likes this post: Bodobol
    « Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 04:33:16 AM by Seroim »
    Seroim
    • The Court Derpster
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Wintreath Nation
    Govindia
  • Former Citizen
  • It's almost certain to have buggy, nearly-unplayable multiplayer. :P

Why didn't you respond when I asked what your thoughts were on the trailer, or the post I tagged you in, on FB?  Just curious, and I was wondering what your thoughts were on it?
    Democratic Republic of South Nivogal
    Citizenship Granted 24 Dec. 2013!

------------------------------------------------
    Other Areas of NS:
    00000 A World Power: 1st Sgt, A World Power Regional Defence Force
    Celtica: Associate Advisor
    The Kodiak Republic: Member, The Kodiak Republic General Assembly

Govindia
    • Jedi Master
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Auditore
      Wintreath Nation
    Govindia
  • Former Citizen
  • Graphics are beyond shit. I absolutely utterly almost impossibly HATE the art style they went with. This cartoony bullshit is ridiculously unfit for a pseudo-historical game. I want to be immersed, I don't want to feel like I'm playing make-believe with Play-Doh or worse, Age of Empires Online.

Cities are going to suffer through the same treatment as armies, they're going to be spread over the map as you build shit in them. This is something Endless Legend already does and it works pretty well for Endless Legend. I don't know how it'd work in a Civ game because there are so many buildings : city buildings, wonders, improvements (they're probably getting the ax). They mentioned that a city would be able to control the same amount of tiles as in Civ 5. This could end up hurting either city management or building tall because either the building is going to have to be simplified or you're going to have to build multiple, specialized cities to hold all that shit in.

Armies are not getting un-1UPT, but we all suspected that. They mentioned they'd be a bit more open to exceptions this time around. The big problem I have with 1UPT is that Civ armies are too big for that and also that Civ maps are too small for that. It's real easy to get into a fucking 1-tile chokepoint where you can't do shit. It's also really easy to end up in a terrible clusterfuck that is as boring as it is annoying as you try to find space to move your army through, even in more open scenarios. I don't see the problem with doomstacks, but I'm more of a GSG player than a 4X guy.

Tech is now supposed to be dependent on your geographical position and your available resources which is pretty nice and pretty annoying at the same time. For example, they want to make it so having a quarry makes researching Masonry much faster. Your start already has so much effect on your whole game, I'm not keen on giving it even more importance. At the same time, landlocked civs being able to research ship techs was pretty silly.

The agenda shit sounds like Civ 4's personalities or something. EUIV does almost the same shit. Not really "new". All I wanna know is if the AI is gonna be as brain dead as it was in 5.

The most grating issue to me is that the game is $80 FUCKING CANADIAN DOLLARS I HATE THE OIL-BASED DEVALUATION SO MUCH MY INCOME HASN'T FUCKING CHANGED BUT THE PRICES SURE FUCKING DID WHAT THE FUCK HOW DID PRICES GO UP BY $30 IN LIKE A YEAR IN A HALF, ISN'T IT FUNNY THAT WHEN THE CAD APPRECIATED A FEW YEARS AGO, IT WAS ON PAR WITH THE USD FOR THE LONGEST FUCKING TIME AND YET PRICES TOOK FOREVER AND A HALF TO FALL BY $10

AND WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH THAT $110 "DIGITAL DELUXE EDITION" THAT SUPPOSEDLY GIVES YOU A REBATE ON 4 DLC THAT NOBODY KNOWS ANYTHING ABOUT

THIS IS GOING TO BE LIKE CIV 5 WHERE YOU HAVE TO BUY EVERYTHING TO HAVE A NOT SHIT GAME ISN'T IT

BUT I'M NOT SURPRISED CONSIDERING YOU FUCKED UP MY MOST ANTICIPATED GAME OF ALL TIME

YOU FUCKED IT UP BAD

I'M NOT PAYING $80+ TO WITNESS YOU GUYS SHIT ON ONE OF MY FAVOURITE SERIES. AGAIN.

SEROIM OUT

Tell us how you really feel? o.O?

Other Areas of NS:

Govindia
    • Jedi Master
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Auditore
      Wintreath Nation
    Seroim
  • Former Citizen

YOU FUCKED IT UP BAD

SEROIM OUT

Tell us how you really feel? o.O?

If I were Abu Bakr Al-Baghdadi, I'd make it my top objective to send a few suckers to blow themselves up in Firaxis HQ.
    Seroim
    • The Court Derpster
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Wintreath Nation
    Michi
  • Level 167 Caticorn God of Destruction
  • I don't want to feel like I'm playing make-believe with Play-Doh or worse, Age of Empires Online.

That last part summed it up pretty well.  I was really excited for Age of Empires Online, and then I saw the style and cringed.  For a game that's playing with historical moments in time (let alone a real-time strategy with lots of killing), I actually felt a bit disgusted that they went with such whimsical feel to it.

It was like how I felt when I saw how they completely butchered FFVI for IOS and the Steam port by making a darker game (you know, where the bad guy actually achieves his goal in destroying the world) into such a happy, fun, cutesy looking one.  That may have worked for FFV given the fact that the game itself is more a lighthearted romp, but it made VI as unbearable as AoE was.

Likewise, this looks like the same path.
    My Wintreath Resumé
    Michi
    • Level 167 Caticorn God of Destruction
    • Wintreath's Official Video Game Enthusiast
    • Pronouns
      Any except it/its
      Orientation
      Michisexual <3
      Familial House
      Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    Wintermoot
  • Why didn't you respond when I asked what your thoughts were on the trailer, or the post I tagged you in, on FB?  Just curious, and I was wondering what your thoughts were on it?
    I removed you from Facebook, so I never got any notification on the tag. Let's just leave it at that.

Wintermoot
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation
    Govindia
  • Former Citizen
  • Why didn't you respond when I asked what your thoughts were on the trailer, or the post I tagged you in, on FB?  Just curious, and I was wondering what your thoughts were on it?
    I removed you from Facebook, so I never got any notification on the tag. Let's just leave it at that.

What?  Why did you remove me?  I wanted your thoughts on the trailer ? :-/ :(

Other Areas of NS:

Govindia
    • Jedi Master
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Auditore
      Wintreath Nation
    Bodobol
  • Former Citizen
  • I know this is an old topic now but...

I was kind of hoping I'd warm up to the graphics style. I have not, still looks like shit to me. I agree with what the others have said, that historical games don't fit cartoonish styles. I probably won't be buying this at any point, unless the gameplay proves to be exceptionally good.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not one of those graphic snobs that judges a game solely on that - at least I don't think I am - but this is just absolutely the wrong style and entirely immersion-breaking.
    Bodobol
    I watched a gameplay video, and it doesn't look as bad as I first thought. I think they reduced the saturation. But I still have yet to get used to it. It is growing though. I really love the fog of war effect.
    Commander_Zemas
    Wintermoot
  • Yeah, I saw a recent review and it does look a little less cartoonish. Overall, I'm intrigued at this point...I like that they're trying to make it so that the same strategy won't work over and over again, but they're making a lot of changes, and I'm not sure how they will pan out. Civ V took a number of DLC just to make it feel like a complete game. =/

Wintermoot
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation
    BraveSirRobin
  • My Dear Jean-Luc!
  • Yeah, I don't plan on buying Civ VI until it's released all of its DLC.  Also, hopefully it gets a little less cartoon-y.  If I wanted cartoon politics I'd buy the Political Machine.  :P
    Sir Robin of Camelot

"Whilst the men of Caenia were scattered far and wide, pillaging and destroying, Romulus came upon them with an army, and after a brief encounter taught them that anger is futile without strength."  -Titus Livius, Ab Urbe Condita

(Ravenclaw is the best!)

Résumé/A History of Robin on NationStates
    Wintreath:
    Citizen: 4 June 2015 - present
    Member of the Hvitt Riddaral: 21 August 2015 - present
    Strifa of the 12th Underhusen: 8 October 2015 - 13 December 2015
    Speaker Pro Tem of the 13th Underhusen: 13 December 2015 - 8 February 2016
    Speaker Pro Tem of the 14th Underhusen: 8 February 2016 - 8 April 2016
    Speaker of the 16th Underhusen: 10 June 2016 - 11 August 2016
    Ambassador to Europeia: 5 December 2016 - present
    RP Guild Councillor: 23 February 2017 - present
    Ambassador to The North Pacific: 11 March 2017 - present
    Speaker of the 21st Underhusen: 10 April 2017 - 10 June 2017
    Delegate of Wintreath: 10 June 2017 - 15 March 2020
    Strifa of the 23rd Underhusen: 10 August 2017 - 10 November 2017
    Thane of Ambassadors: 10 October 2018 - 10 December 2018
    Commendation of Wintreath: Sept 24 2020

New Hyperion:
    Citizen: 27 November 2015 - present
    Patrician: 12 January 2016 - present
    Lord of Development: 5 February 2016 - present

(I stole this format from tau, but who am I not to copy a great system? :-) )

Ne Crustumini quidem atque Antemnates pro ardore iraque Caeninensium satis se impigre movent; ita per se ipsum nomen Caeninum in agrum Romanum impetum facit. Sed effuse vastantibus fit obvius cum exercitu Romulus levique certamine docet vanam sine viribus iram esse.
    BraveSirRobin
    • My Dear Jean-Luc!
    • We Meet Again, Mon Capitaine!!
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      The Noble House of Valeria
      Wintreath Nation

Pages: [1]