Pages: [1] 2 ... 5

Welcome to Constitutional Convention II

Wintermoot
  • Regional Stability Squad
  • The Greyscale Magi-Monk
  • In response to the discussion on vastly altering or removing the legislature, which has gained the support of the majority of Underhusen members, I am calling this Constitutional Convention to further discuss the issue. The purpose of the Convention will be to determine if changes are needed to the legislature, collect ideas and proposals to that effect, and draft Amendments to the Fundamental Laws.

Let me stress that this Convention does not necessarily mean that many or even any changes will be made. Assuming that it's even decided that changes are needed, any amendments drafted will need to follow the usual process of ratification, a process that could fail. This is merely a venue to discuss options, voice opinions, and consider proposals in an organized fashion.

I went all the way to Cassadega to commune with the dead
    They said "You'd better look alive"
    Wintermoot
    • The Greyscale Magi-Monk
    • Weather: ❄️
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation
    Laurentus
  • Count of Highever
  • The Underhusen has been on a downward spiral ever since the end of the April-May session, which included myself, Point Breeze, Pengu, Sapphiron and Reon. That session was pretty successful, despite a few mishaps, but the ones since have either been very inactive, or the atmosphere has been hostile and far more political than it has any right to be in a non-political region such as this one, where the idea is to create an environment where people can have fun and engage in civil, peaceful discussion on a wide range of topics.

All the laws that are necessary for our basic functions have been put into place. While they still require clean-up, I think it's safe to say that the Underhusen doesn't really have a purpose anymore.

The efforts of the great people who participated in the UH can be more productively (and far more pleasantly) spent elsewhere, where they can contribute to the region in a far more enjoyable and useful manner.

As such, I propose that the Underhusen be disbanded, for a bill of rights to be set up and subjected to direct democracy, and that all other legal functions be taken up by the monarchy, as advised by the Riksråd and Overhusen.

Ample time exists to change the way in which the judiciary would function, as well as all other areas that currently require the Storting as it exists today.
    In die donker ure skink net duiwels nog 'n dop, 
    Satan sit saam sy kinders en kyk hoe kom die son op. 
    • Count of Highever
    Laurentus
    • Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      The Noble House of Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    Michi
  • Level 167 Caticorn God of Destruction
  • I think the problem is that our session got many of the biggest problems at least onto the field to be taken care of, and it was really just a matter of agreeing to a solution for those problems, which we addressed in our next session together.  Now the UH really has absolutely no major problems to contend with except its own inactivity once more.

At least, that's what I want to say.  The problem is that there are absolutely more issues to be tackled and there always will be.  We were just lucky enough to pinpoint some of them and get them fixed.  I'm sure if the UH really tried looking hard enough, they could find more issues that needed fixing.  But the challenge is that many of those issues aren't just going to show themselves that easily.

However, I agree that disbanding might just be the best way to go.  As it stands right now, the UH serves no purpose except just to be there.  You know there's a problem when one of the most active topics this session is asking what they should do next..

If they can't even figure out what it is they even want to discuss, then it's probably time to dissolve the UH.  However, that then creates new problems.
    « Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 06:59:38 AM by Gabriel (Pengu) »
    My Wintreath Resumé
    Michi
    • Wintreath's Official Video Game Enthusiast
    • Pronouns
      Any except it/its
      Orientation
      Michisexual <3
      Familial House
      Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    Michi
  • I'll also argue even against our own sessions.  The only reasons that our sessions could even be considered successful is because we were literally doing trial-by-error things.  In the first session it was Govindia's revocation, which in turn inspired talks about the system and thus pushed to fix those issues.

In our other session, it was the whole trial between myself and Chanku.  That inspired more talks about our judicial system, and inspired bills and proposals geared towards it.

No matter how much you want to look at it, that is the key difference between our sessions and the more inactive ones.  Other sessions had people scrambling on even figuring out what to do.  Our sessions had us actually field testing and making the appropriate fixes that way.

The issue with this is that those were the two big things that could even be experimented with and fixed.  And with those two out of the way, there really is nothing left that can be done on a trial basis and improved upon.
    My Wintreath Resumé
    Michi
    • Pronouns
      Any except it/its
      Orientation
      Michisexual <3
      Familial House
      Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    Laurentus
  • Count of Highever
  • It's also interesting that just about every session has tried to fix the judiciary, and finally we were only able to agree on a system that gave the Monarch more freedom in that department, and that system was proposed by the monarch...

Granted, a few of us have been pushing for the monarch to take a more central role in the the judiciary for awhile now, but it is troubling to think that the people elected by the people ended up running to the monarch to fix our mess anyway. That really makes you question the point of an elected body when it comes to laws...

I think that I would be more nervous about disbanding the UH if we didn't have Wintermoot as the monarch. While I have made it plain that I don't always agree with him, he is generally benevolent and a lot of thought goes into his reasoning. He is also willing to hear out just about any idea, and test it to see if it works.

All that being said, what do you propose as the alternative, Pengu? I was surprised that you agreed that disbanding was best.
    • Count of Highever
    Laurentus
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Wintreath Nation
    Emoticonius
  • Former Citizen
  • Supreme Grand Admiral of The Emoticonian Army
  • Why not simply redefine The Underhusen? Make it open to all citizens (via an application process or possibly as an option on the citizen application) where each person applying to be part of The Underhusen must undergo whatever security checks are performed on each person that applies for citizenship. The Overhusen can remain as is, as a sort of checks and balances.

We would maintain our unique bicameral legislature (albeit vastly expanded) and The Overhusen can continue to make sure only laws that are in the best interest of the region pass, so subversive groups can't use our own legislature against us.
    3 people like this post: BraveSirRobin, Wuufu, Hydra
    “I support anyone’s right to be who they want to be. My question is: to what extent do I have to participate in your self-image?” - Dave Chappelle
    7:42 PM <Govindia> eh, i like the taste of nuts in my mouth

Potential clients should PM or Query Emoticonius
    Emoticonius
    • Supreme Grand Admiral of The Emoticonian Army
    • Crasher Endorsed, Native Approved
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Kaizer
      Representing
      Wintreath Nation
    BraveSirRobin
  • My Dear Jean-Luc!
  • Why not simply redefine The Underhusen? Make it open to all citizens (via an application process or possibly as an option on the citizen application) where each person applying to be part of The Underhusen must undergo whatever security checks are performed on each person that applies for citizenship. The Overhusen can remain as is, as a sort of checks and balances.

We would maintain our unique bicameral legislature (albeit vastly expanded) and The Overhusen can continue to make sure only laws that are in the best interest of the region pass, so subversive groups can't use our own legislature against us.

Emoticonius' idea is intriguing.  I think that I like it. 
    Sir Robin of Camelot

"Whilst the men of Caenia were scattered far and wide, pillaging and destroying, Romulus came upon them with an army, and after a brief encounter taught them that anger is futile without strength."  -Titus Livius, Ab Urbe Condita

(Ravenclaw is the best!)

Résumé/A History of Robin on NationStates
    Wintreath:
    Citizen: 4 June 2015 - present
    Member of the Hvitt Riddaral: 21 August 2015 - present
    Strifa of the 12th Underhusen: 8 October 2015 - 13 December 2015
    Speaker Pro Tem of the 13th Underhusen: 13 December 2015 - 8 February 2016
    Speaker Pro Tem of the 14th Underhusen: 8 February 2016 - 8 April 2016
    Speaker of the 16th Underhusen: 10 June 2016 - 11 August 2016
    Ambassador to Europeia: 5 December 2016 - present
    RP Guild Councillor: 23 February 2017 - present
    Ambassador to The North Pacific: 11 March 2017 - present
    Speaker of the 21st Underhusen: 10 April 2017 - 10 June 2017
    Delegate of Wintreath: 10 June 2017 - 15 March 2020
    Strifa of the 23rd Underhusen: 10 August 2017 - 10 November 2017
    Thane of Ambassadors: 10 October 2018 - 10 December 2018
    Commendation of Wintreath: Sept 24 2020

New Hyperion:
    Citizen: 27 November 2015 - present
    Patrician: 12 January 2016 - present
    Lord of Development: 5 February 2016 - present

(I stole this format from tau, but who am I not to copy a great system? :-) )

Ne Crustumini quidem atque Antemnates pro ardore iraque Caeninensium satis se impigre movent; ita per se ipsum nomen Caeninum in agrum Romanum impetum facit. Sed effuse vastantibus fit obvius cum exercitu Romulus levique certamine docet vanam sine viribus iram esse.
    BraveSirRobin
    • My Dear Jean-Luc!
    • We Meet Again, Mon Capitaine!!
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Wintreath Nation
    Laurentus
  • Count of Highever

I'm not sure I understand. Please elaborate.
    • Count of Highever
    Laurentus
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Wintreath Nation
    Barnes
  • Former Citizen
  • Wintrean Press Secretary
  • If I'm reading this correctly, it means that any citizen who wants to join the Underhusen can, provided they pass a background check, of course. The Overhusen would keep the Underhusen in check. Frankly, I'm open to the idea. I think it would promote more community involvement if citizens feel that they can have more say in the region. Not that I have any say in it, seeing as how I haven't been active in the region until now.
    Barnes
    • credit to @DorkCollie
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Meindhert
      Wintreath Nation
    Reon
  • Former Citizen
  • Why keep the underhusen? You can go the route of any citizen is allowed to propose, you need this many signatures to bring it to vote, and you need this many votes to have it pass, with the overhusen still existing to shoot it down if necessary....
    1 person likes this post: Laurentus
    Face the facts of being what you are, for that is what changes what you are.
    Reon
    • Follow the Truth, whoever that may be.
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Wintreath Nation
    Laurentus
  • Count of Highever
  • Question: Are people perhaps uncomfortable with the idea because they feel it removes an avenue for them to advance within the region?
    • Count of Highever
    Laurentus
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Wintreath Nation
    Barnes
  • Former Citizen
  • Uncomfortable with which idea: removing the Underhusen completely, allowing as many citizens as wanted to be a part of it, or keeping it? I suppose in the case of the former that people can advance simply by notoriety in terms of making successful proposals, but I don't know if people pay attention enough to give name recognition.
    Barnes
    • credit to @DorkCollie
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Meindhert
      Wintreath Nation
    Reon
  • Former Citizen
  • Chanku got name recognition through pushing proposals and law... It's not unheard of...
    Face the facts of being what you are, for that is what changes what you are.
    Reon
    • Follow the Truth, whoever that may be.
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Wintreath Nation
    Michi

• All that being said, what do you propose as the alternative, Pengu? I was surprised that you agreed that disbanding was best.

Well as much as I'm definitely all for having the UH since I like the idea of a constitutional Monarchy, I also know when something is becoming useless beyond existing.  Which the UH has been stagnating for quite some time with some occasional hiccups of activity/productivity.  That being the case, it either needs to be shaken up completely or cut away so we can put our heads together for something more effective.

An open assembly would be even more productive than the UH has been.
    My Wintreath Resumé
    Michi
    • Pronouns
      Any except it/its
      Orientation
      Michisexual <3
      Familial House
      Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    taulover
  • Seeker of Knowledge
  • Question: Are people perhaps uncomfortable with the idea because they feel it removes an avenue for them to advance within the region?
    I think this may be right. The Underhusen is the most obvious way to advance in this region (it's not like we have anything else that pops up regularly or anything; after all, the Civil Service is quite inactive). I worry that if we transition to a direct democracy, then nobody will have the initiative to advance. (Of course, I'm a terrible example of this, but these are just my thoughts.)
    Résumé
    Wintreath:
    Citizen: 8 April 2015 - present
    From the Ashes RP Game Master: 29 November 2015 - 24 July 2018
    Skydande Vakt Marshal: 29 November 2015 - 28 February 2017
    Skrifa of the 13th Underhusen: 13 December 2015 - 8 February 2016
    RP Guild Councillor: 9 February 2016 - 6 March 2018
    Ambassador to Lovely: 23 February 2016 - 17 August 2016
    Werewolf VII co-host: 11 May 2016 - 5 June 2016
    Skrifa of the 18th Underhusen: 8 October 2016 - 7 December 2016
    Ambassador to Balder: 1 December 2016 - 1 March 2022
    Skrifa of the 19th Underhusen: 7 December 2016 - 9 February 2017
    Ambassador to the INWU: 11 March 2017 - 1 March 2022
    Ambassador to the Versutian Federation: 18 August 2017 - 22 March 2018
    Thane of Integration: 29 September 2017 - 7 March 2018
    Speaker of the 24th Underhusen: 10 October 2017 - 7 December 2017
    October 2017 Wintreath's Finest: 4 November 2017
    Speaker pro tempore of the 25th Underhusen: 9 December 2017 - 7 February 2018
    Wintreath's Finest of 2017: 6 January 2018
    Werewolf XIV host: 20 January 2018 - 23 February 2018
    February 2018 Wintreath's Finest: 5 March 2018
    Thane of Embassy Dispatches / Foreign Releases and Information / Foreign Dispatches: 7 March 2018 - 15 March 2020
    Speaker of the 28th Underhusen: 10 June 2018 - 7 August 2018
    Second Patriarch of the Noble House of Valeria: 10 October 2018 - present
    Arena Game 6 Host: 28 December 2018 - 9 March 2019
    Librarian of the Underhusen: 29 January 2019 - 12 February 2019
    Speaker of the 32nd Underhusen: 12 February 2019 - 8 April 2019
    March 2019 Wintreath's Finest: 4 April 2019
    Librarian of the Underhusen: 12 April 2019 - 23 October 2020
    Commendation of Wintreath: 24 September 2020
    Peer of the Overhusen: 9 December 2020 - 8 February 2021
    Vice Chancellor of the Landsraad: 26 May 2021 - 15 September 2022
    Arena Game 8 Host: 10 June 2021 - 19 July 2021
    June 2021 Wintreath's Finest: 5 July 2021
    Regional Stability Squad: 28 February 2023 - present
    Minecraft Server Admin: 8 March 2023 - present

Aura Hyperia/New Hyperion:
    Plebeian: 16 April 2014 - 21 July 2014
    Patrician: 21 July 2014 - present
    Adeptus Mechanicus: 24 October 2014 - 16 November 2014
    Co-founder of New Hyperion: 29 October 2014 - present
    Lord of Propaganda: 16 November 2014 - present
    Mapmaker for Official Region RP: 27 November 2015 - present
    WACom Delegate: 11 November 2017 - present
    Other positions: Hyperian Guardsman, Hyperian Marine (Rank: Scout)
    taulover
    • Seeker of Knowledge
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Valeria
      Wintreath Nation

Pages: [1] 2 ... 5