Pages: [1]

Legislative Concerns

Sapphiron
  • Regional Stability Squad
  • Scarlet Petal Floats
  • Hi! I am sure there is a desire to address legislative concerns that do not involve a declaration of war against a nation whose name is a portmanteau of two components of the Earth, so here are some potential topics for consideration.

Clarification on Restoration of Citizenship (Credits to Doc)
    http://wintreath.com/forums/index.php?topic=4959.0
    • Should it be established that the branch of government involved in revoking a citizenship should be responsible for repealing the revocation if such a repeal is perceived to be of sound judgement?
    • If not, should there be a region-wide referendum to determine whether the implicated individual should be allowed back into the Wintrean community or perhaps, even go to the extreme of equating a citizenship revocation to a persona non grata declaration?

Clarification on Underhusen's Veto Override Authority
    http://wintreath.com/forums/index.php?topic=2722.0
    • Is there a clause establishing the supremacy of the Fundamental Laws over the Statutory Laws when conflicts arise?
    • Is it therefore legally possible for the Underhusen to unilaterally revoke citizenship without considering the Overhusen’s opinion through its override authority? If so, should something be done to correct this?

Clarification on Citizen’s Right to Recall
    “Any Citizen which voted in the previous regular election as defined in Article 1 Section 3 shall have the right to petition for the recall of any member of the Underhusen unless there are fewer than twenty-one days left until the next regular election.”

I will ask the question I asked months before, which has become more relevant in this particular election cycle. Since the latest regular election was a walkover, does that mean all Citizens are given the right to petition?
    3 people like this post: Gerrick, taulover, Laurentus
    Sapphiron
    • Scarlet Petal Floats
    • Audi alteram partem
    • Regional Stability Squad
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    Chanku
  • Citizen
  • Clarification on Restoration of Citizenship (Credits to Doc)
    http://wintreath.com/forums/index.php?topic=4959.0
    • Should it be established that the branch of government involved in revoking a citizenship should be responsible for repealing the revocation if such a repeal is perceived to be of sound judgement?
    • If not, should there be a region-wide referendum to determine whether the implicated individual should be allowed back into the Wintrean community or perhaps, even go to the extreme of equating a citizenship revocation to a persona non grata declaration?
    With point 1, I technically disagree. When it comes to citizenship revocation there are two entities that can, legally, revoke and grant citizenship:
    • The Storting - through the Fundamental Laws.
    • The Monarch - through grant of Storting
    I have an idea for the law, which I am drafting at this time, to clarify how things should work in these circumstances, along with some additional things.
    Clarification on Underhusen's Veto Override Authority
    http://wintreath.com/forums/index.php?topic=2722.0
    • Is there a clause establishing the supremacy of the Fundamental Laws over the Statutory Laws when conflicts arise?
    • Is it therefore legally possible for the Underhusen to unilaterally revoke citizenship without considering the Overhusen’s opinion through its override authority? If so, should something be done to correct this?
    In the Fundamental Laws, no. However there is such a thing as concepts of common law, in this case the Fundamental Laws overriding lower laws is an established concept of Wintrean Law and therefore could be argued to apply. However I would support an amendment to explicitly add this into the Fundamental Laws (along with some other changes, which I am currently writing up and going over at this time)

As to the second part, legally yes. The initial desire in giving the Underhusen its override authority was to combat a situation where the Overhusen is either acting maliciously, destructively, or their veto is otherwise improper. As such the entire purpose of the override is to act as to allow for the Underhusen, the only truly elected government body/office, to act as a legislative check upon the rest of the government, in a way. So it is my firm belief that this should not be changed, further if the Underhusen abuses this authority, they can be recalled.
    Clarification on Citizen’s Right to Recall
    “Any Citizen which voted in the previous regular election as defined in Article 1 Section 3 shall have the right to petition for the recall of any member of the Underhusen unless there are fewer than twenty-one days left until the next regular election.”

I will ask the question I asked months before, which has become more relevant in this particular election cycle. Since the latest regular election was a walkover, does that mean all Citizens are given the right to petition?
    I would argue no. There is only really one reading of this that I can feel is applicable to this situation, and that being the last regular election.

Since we didn't have elections, one can say that Regular Elections didn't occur, and as such the last regular election would be the December election. So I would say anyone that voted in that election can have the right to recall (being a pedant, the right to petition is vague in general. While it is defined within this context, it can refer to the Right to Petition for a redress of Grievances, it can mean the right to petition for a recall, or it can mean the right to petition for a referendum).

Also I meant to respond last night, but my internet connection cut out so I was unable to actually post this reply until now.
    2 people like this post: taulover, Sapphiron
    See you later space cowboy.
    Old Signature

Current Positions in Wintreath
    Matriarch of House Kaizer
    Speaker of the 29th Underhusen
    Advisor to the Riksråd
    Positions I've held
    Riksrad(1st Jarl of Information, 3rd Jarl of Foreign Affairs, 2nd Jarl of Defense)
    Member of the WHR
    Speaker of the Underhusen (3rd)
    Speaker Pro Tempore of the Underhusen (1st)
    Underhusen Member (1st-3rd)
    Member of the 5th Overhusen
    Chairman of the 5th Overhusen
    6th Underhusen
    Speaker of the 6th Underhusen
    Mandate Holder for Jarl of Defense
    Member of the 8th Storting (Underhusen)
    Royalty of Wintreath
    Ambassador for the Department of Foreign Affairs.
    Underhusen Terms I've been a part of
    1st Underhusen
    2nd Underhusen
    3rd Underhusen
    6th Underhusen
    8th Underhusen
    Overhusen Terms I've been a part of
    5th Overhusen
    Families I've been a part of
    Kaizer - Matriarch (REFORMED)
    Kestar - Child of Wintermoot (REMOVED)
    Chanku