Pages: [1]

[Proposal] Extend Term Length

Laurentus
  • Regional Stability Squad
  • Count of Highever
  • I am wondering whether we shouldn't consider extending the UH terms to 3 months. We got off to a good start this term, but then things became crazy, I became depressed, and progress halted a bit. I was surprised to hear Doc mention that we were already left with only about a quarter of our term left. My fear is that a UH in a similar situation in the future would rush the remaining items on its agenda, and thus not give things the thought they deserve.

Additionally, we can make the whole voting process easier on everyone if we have UH and Thane elections together all the time.
    In die donker ure skink net duiwels nog 'n dop, 
    Satan sit saam sy kinders en kyk hoe kom die son op. 
    • Count of Highever
    Laurentus
    • Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      The Noble House of Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    Doc
  • Citizen
  • That's another Fundamental Laws amendment, which would mean this term is still gonna end regardless.
    Proud Burner
    Doc
    • it's karma, man
    • Citizen
    • Wintreath Nation
    Laurentus
  • Count of Highever
  • Yeah, I know. Just thinking of the future.
    In die donker ure skink net duiwels nog 'n dop, 
    Satan sit saam sy kinders en kyk hoe kom die son op. 
    • Count of Highever
    Laurentus
    • Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      The Noble House of Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    ☆ Princess Abigail ☆
  • Former Citizen
  • 沈黙した
  • I would heavily support this
    ❤️ Caitlin ❤️
    I want you to fall hardest of all saying my name or nothing at all.
    "Neon is genuinely exhausting to read"
    ☆ Princess Abigail ☆
    • 沈黙した
    • International Trans Girl Icon
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      She/Her/Hers
      Orientation
      People
      Wintreath Nation
    Michi
  • Level 167 Caticorn God of Destruction
  • I thought UH terms were already 3 months?

Huh, nevermind...we're switched out right on that 3rd month, so it's technically 2.

At first I thought "Well it's a quarter system" but then I looked at election months: February, April, June, August, October, December.

If we extended it by a month, it'd become: February, May, August, November.

Or we could shift it to a regular quarter system of January, April, July, October.

I'd actually support moving to a quarter term system.  It'd give the current UH an extra month to make sure everything is in order before they're switched out, and they could get more done even if life got in the way a bit.

That being said, I do feel like this may be met with some resistance.
    3 people like this post: Laurentus, ☆ Princess Abigail ☆, Barnes
    My Wintreath Resumé
    Michi
    • Level 167 Caticorn God of Destruction
    • Wintreath's Official Video Game Enthusiast
    • Pronouns
      Any except it/its
      Orientation
      Michisexual <3
      Familial House
      Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    Doc
  • Citizen
  • I'm torn between the political opportunism this presents me as a Burner, and the desire to preserve the positive norms of our community.

If we extend terms, it's all gold for me; I get to crow about the obvious attempt to consolidate power and the profoundly ironic moves away from democracy, since the UH is supposed to be the democratic institution of our regional government and yet by reducing the number of elections/year, there are consequently less opportunities for people to exercise their political rights, therefore the UH is a fundamentally corrupt and inherently corruptive institution and thus we should burn it down.

On the other hand, there's a long-held belief that UH membership constitutes the first rung on the 'career ladder' here; that this is where new people come to cut their teeth and prove their mettle before moving on to the actually effectual areas of the government, the various Cabinet positions, and reducing the number of elections per year would be actively detrimental to that goal of integrating fresh blood into our political process. I may not agree with the ethos behind it, since the UH is a fundamentally blah blah see above, but there's certainly a lot to be said for that line of thought, not least of which because I nominally got my start in regional politics by running for UH, as did, like, 90% of the Cabinet (I don't remember Ruguo ever being in the UH, but on the other hand the UH is supremely ineffectual etc. etc. so it's very possible it happened and was just not memorable).

At any rate, I think a phenomenal point to consider here is that this discussion is profoundly limited because so far the only thread on the matter is here, in the UH section, which Citizens can't respond to, and this is a Sufficiently Big Deal that soliciting citizen comment is vital. Thus, please create a Citizens Discussion thread for this, and if there isn't one within the next, oh, 12 hours or so, I'll just make one myself.
    (I'd do it myself already but I think it's probably a better look if the topic creator does so themselves, and I don't want to take that feather out of Lau's cap)
    4 people like this post: Laurentus, Imaginative Kane, Michi, taulover
    Proud Burner
    Doc
    • it's karma, man
    • Citizen
    • Wintreath Nation

Pages: [1]