Pages: 1 [2]

Wintermoot
  • Regional Stability Squad
  • The Greyscale Magi-Monk
  • Meanwhile 1

It's been awhile since I've had a chance to work on Three Forks, but today I did save the images in this topic from the Discord image hosting graveyard! You can see every screenshot in this topic in all their glory once again. :)

Extra Extra Image

While I was going through the screenshots on Discord, I found this one that I never got around to posting before. It's Three Forks from high atop the mountain across the canal (around where the third arrow points to on the very first image in this topic)! Someday our campers will be able to easily hike here...someday...

1 person likes this post: taulover

I went all the way to Cassadega to commune with the dead
    They said "You'd better look alive"
    Wintermoot
    • Weather: ❄️
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation
    Wintermoot
  • Three Forks Log: Day 6

Returning to Things
    After a long absence, I've returned to developing Three Forks with plans to add an observation tower! I plan for the first floor of the tower to be area item storage and crafting, to replace the open workshop I have sitting around the lodges. Other floors will have views and spaces for groups to come together...I think campers would like to come together on a tower with awe-inspiring views! Far into the future, I may also build walls along the grounds, and if so this tower would anchor the south wall against the river.

Planning it Out
    The Basic Layout - Distance
    The Basic Layout - Close Up

No, I have not returned to the bad old ways of all-cobblestone buildings. I'm just using cobblestone and dirt to get a feel for the shape and size of what I want the tower to be. I ended up going with a pattern of 8 squares for each wall connected with 4 diagonal squares to give it a more circular feel. That's roughly twice the size of the tower at Twilight's Refuge...but that tower is just a granary to store food and seeds. This tower will also have higher ceilings, currently at six squares and possibly seven depending on if I want the floor and ceiling to be different materials.

You can also kinda see what I've been up to since the last update. Over the winter, this area served as a tree farm for the spawn area newbie kit project, and you can see the wood chests from that along with the bed I'm using here (I haven't even made myself a home here yet!).

A Tower with a View
    Looking Downriver
    Looking Up at the Lake

As all towers should, right? :P

This is why I decided to build it where I did...it's on the highest ground at the camp and even from what would be the second floor gives great views both of the lake and down the river (where someday there'll be another canal project to connect the river to the sea). Before building, I walked down the river shore and confirmed that this is the highest ground until you get to the very end of the river. It's also across from the mountains on the other side of the river, so if I wanted to I could build a bridge to the mountain and tunnel through it for easy access to the other side.

You can also see the aforementioned tree farm area and my workshop. In the future, this will be filled with trees and more lodges.

Solving The Cave Problem
    Covering Up the Cave Hole

The tower also solves a problem I've been thinking over from the very start: what to do with this cave entrance. At one time I thought of building some kind of entrance here, but I think instead I'll build an entrance from the tower basement for campers to have cave adventures! You can see here I'm covering the hole up one layer lower so I still know where the cave is for now. The cave also has another entrance by the shore (which I've walled up to keep baddies from coming out), so I may build another entrance there too.

Unwelcome Guests AGAIN
    Ugh

There seems to be some kind of pillager route right down the river, cause they constantly bob down the river to the far shore across from the dock. On the plus side, you can see I'm experimenting with pink floors. I haven't decided on the final materials yet...I'm thinking some kind of wood with some kind of stone. I might end up using cobblestone for the stone at first just because it's what I have the most of, but polished andesite might also be a good choice. I suppose I'll have to make those decisions soon, though!

I went all the way to Cassadega to commune with the dead
    They said "You'd better look alive"
    Wintermoot
    • Weather: ❄️
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation

Pages: 1 [2]