Pages: [1]

Paradox makes me sad

Seroim
  • Former Citizen
  • CKII is probably the best recent game of theirs. I have all the DLC except the metal shit and the ebook. Since then it's gone downhill. CKII is probably good only because roleplaying is fun, and minmaxing god-tier characters is ok too. As far as challenge goes it's probably the easiest, but it's so easy to roleplay, you can set house rules and still have fun.

EUIV was good around the Art of War mark, then they decided to feature bloat the fuck out of that game, resulting in a game you need to play against most of the time. Some features, like the endless mana, were questionable, but then they released Common Sense and paywalled an essential feature. I haven't got any of the new DLC but they sound more annoying than the last.

Stellaris was promising, I was hyper hyped, but when it got released I was massively disappointed. I mean, it's ok, the early game was great, then it started to suck. I started being disillusioned around that time so I haven't got Utopia, sometimes I kind of want to but then I remember the AI is still dumb and the midgame is still tedious. Apparently there's a massive new update in the works, supposedly The Old Gods/Art of War style in that it will introduce a lot of new content, so perhaps it'll get better.

Then there's HoI4. I don't even want to talk about HoI4. What a huge waste...I preordered it and it's the last Paradox game I ever preorder. What the fuck were they thinking? The setting deserves so much better than this, without going in HoI3 style autism.

I just play Victoria 2. It's probably their best game all around. I don't even want them to release 3. I know they'll shit all over it with mana everywhere, streamlined dumbed down economics and more shit AI.

Honestly I wish another company made this kind of game. Paradox fans tend to be the rapid "omg take my money" kind of people...I know 'cause I used to be. But lately it's been disappointment after disappointment, as befits a company with a fanbase composed of whales to harpoon.
    Seroim
    • The Court Derpster
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Wintreath Nation
    Crushita
  • Citizen
  • The Potato Pope
  • CKII: I agree with you on this, I love CKII to bits, but besides Reapers Due(Oh hey my dynasty can actually die out now) I've not enjoyed the recent DLC too much.

EUIV:Art of War was the high point of EUIV no doubt, Rights of Man is actually pretty good though, I hate Mare Nostrum and the Cossacks though. Estates are just an annoyance for me.

Stellaris: I've actually quite enjoyed it all the way through its development, Utopia added a lot for the middle/late game, the AI is still dumb and the midgame is only a bit less tedious, but Stellaris has by far the most functional MP of any Paradox game.

HoI4: It has its moments I find, but my main enjoyment is just dicking around with nations and making them doing super ahistorical things. Some great about conquering the USSR and Germany as Poland. Naval invasions are extremely tedious though/

Vic2:I enjoy it immensely I just wish there was a 3 done in the same style, but some of the feature were updated. A more functional UI and MP would be nice.

On "omg take my money", I'm only like that with CKII, but thats only because I love it to bits.
    Spoiler
    Held Positions
    Wintreath
    Skirfa of the 12th, 17th, 18th, 19th, 20th, 21st, 22nd, 23rd, 25th, 26th, 27th and 29th Sessions of the Underhusen
    Former Thane of Information
    His Majesty's Court Pet
    Kingdom of Great Britain
    Former Privy Councilor
    Former Prime Minister of the Kingdom of Great Britain
    Former Deputy Prime Minister of the Kingdom of Great Britain x2
    Former Member of Parliament of the Kingdom of Great Britain x4
    Former Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Kingdom of Great Britain x2
    Former Lord of Parliament of the Kingdom of Great Britain x4
    Formerly His Royal Highness, the Viscount Telcontar of Whitby
    Ainur
    Former King of Ainur
    Former Minister of Culture of Ainur x2
    Former Minister of Foreign Affairs of Ainur x2
    Former Senator of Ainur x2
    Former Deputy Speaker of Ainur
    Other Regions
    Former Prime Minister of the British Isles
    Former Prime Minister of the New United Kingdom
    Former Culture Minister of the New United Kingdom
    Former Member of the Parliament of the Canadian Kingdom
    Former Privy Councillor in the Canadian Kingdom
    Former Member of Parliament of the United Kingdom
    [/center]
    • The Potato Pope
    Crushita
    • Historically Accurate
    • Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      The House of Lancaster-Stuart
      Representing
      Wintreath Nation
    Wintermoot
  • Regional Stability Squad
  • The Greyscale Magi-Monk
  • To their credit, some of the issues you take with Stellaris are issues with the entire space grand strategy genre, which is why I imagine there's been so few attempts to do games in that genre (Space Empires is the only other series that comes to mind). Paradox did a good job with taking out a lot of the micromanagement of the genre and making a game that flows well and is reasonably simple to learn, so I still have an overall positive opinion of the game.

Actually, I have a positive opinion on most Paradox games, but because of my philosophy on buying games I don't usually buy them unless they're in a bundle or deeply discounted. I got Stellaris through the Humble Monthly Bundle, and almost every DLC I have for their games were part of Steam sales.
    « Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 03:12:37 PM by Wintermoot »

I went all the way to Cassadega to commune with the dead
    They said "You'd better look alive"
    Wintermoot
    • The Greyscale Magi-Monk
    • Weather: ❄️
    • Regional Stability Squad
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation
    Seroim
  • Former Citizen
  • CKII: I agree with you on this, I love CKII to bits, but besides Reapers Due(Oh hey my dynasty can actually die out now) I've not enjoyed the recent DLC too much.

Reaper's Due is definitely one of the best DLC. It is probably a notch under ToG/AoW in quality. I only have one objection, I didn't care much for the immortality stuff. I have the same objection in regards to Monks and Mystics, the supernatural stuff turned me off, and especially the satanists. It makes no sense that half the world is satanist, that joining is as easy as pressing the button and going through 1-2 events, and from a minmax perspective, you really have no choice to be a satanist because they have so many abilities and they're almost all overpowered. Compare this to the monk orders, which both suck, and the hermetics, which are just ok, and the fact there's no benefit to not being part of any order. I liked the secret heretics though, and thank God for rules.

EUIV:Art of War was the high point of EUIV no doubt, Rights of Man is actually pretty good though, I hate Mare Nostrum and the Cossacks though. Estates are just an annoyance for me.

Most new features of EUIV are annoyances, because they don't actually add much more to the game than roadblocks. Take corruption for instance, it doesn't allow you to do more stuff, it's not truly a feature, it's just another hurdle you have to play around to do the same stuff you used to be able to do.

EUIV is just a bit harder than CKII, what makes it much worse for me is that the only way to have fun is with challenges or house rules, and it's much harder to become immersed because of the higher level of abstraction.

Stellaris: I've actually quite enjoyed it all the way through its development, Utopia added a lot for the middle/late game, the AI is still dumb and the midgame is only a bit less tedious, but Stellaris has by far the most functional MP of any Paradox game.

I remember that there was a widespread perception a few years ago that Paradox was letting the state of MP bleed into the SP experience. Personally, I don't play GS in multiplayer, I like to pause often and think about what I'm doing. I remember when they limited players from choosing ideas of the same category twice in a row because people would just stack military in MP, for instance.

Stellaris has potential, but it's just not there yet. The exploration is great (though it annoys me that even your starting ships have infinite range and no fuel problems, which IMO speeds up the best part of the game needlessly), everything after just...isn't that good. I'd rather play Distant Worlds.

HoI4: It has its moments I find, but my main enjoyment is just dicking around with nations and making them doing super ahistorical things. Some great about conquering the USSR and Germany as Poland. Naval invasions are extremely tedious though/

HoI4 is just fucked. The AI is probably the worst of any Paradox game, which is why people get away with doing super ahistorical things. Last time I played, I watched Germany dump all its shit directly on the Maginot line and lose. They used to leave borders completely undefended and all you had to do was waltz in and take the points. Stupid, stupid AI.

Vic2:I enjoy it immensely I just wish there was a 3 done in the same style, but some of the feature were updated. A more functional UI and MP would be nice.

They won't though. Vic 3 would be great as more of the same, but modern. But you know they're going to export their most terrible recent design decisions to the new game, like 50 types of mana everywhere, super abstracted economic system of HoI4 is any indication, etc.

To their credit, some of the issues you take with Stellaris are issues with the entire space grand strategy genre, which is why I imagine there's been so few attempts to do games in that genre (Space Empires is the only other series that comes to mind). Paradox did a good job with taking out a lot of the micromanagement of the genre and making a game that flows well and is reasonably simple to learn, so I still have an overall positive opinion of the game.

I think Distant Worlds does it better. You can just automate what you don't want to take care of. I want to see DW2 though, the lessons they've learned from Stellaris as well as their own mediocre launch of the original DW.
    Seroim
    • The Court Derpster
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Wintreath Nation
    Doc
  • Citizen
  • I strongly disagree with your assertion that Hermetics are just 'okay'. Hermetics are an investment. Early on, sure, they don't have a whole lot of amazing things going on. But you keep putting your guys into them, making your heirs your apprentices, stacking Magnum Opera, getting those artifacts from hosting those meetings, and you're looking at a very powerful series of buffs to your dynasty - not to mention keeping yourself (and the important people in your court) alive with potions of eudaimonia to stop them from dying of stress or depression.

The rest...yeah I agree with.
    Proud Burner
    Doc
    • it's karma, man
    • Citizen
    • Wintreath Nation
    Justinian Ezkantion
  • Former Citizen
  • (Not) Not the Fourth King of Ainur
  • I hated the secret heresies and cults in Monks and Mystics. In fact I hate every single thing the DLC added. It's overpowered as fuck because the AI can literally just spam other characters until they say yes and soon enough have the Byzantine Empire is Shia Muslim and there's absolutely nothing ou can do about it because of the "true believer" bullshit. There should be *much* harsher punishments for apostasy imo. I should be able to purge heresies with fire and blood whenever I want instead of being considered a "tyrant" for ordering the execution of the leader of an actual cult dedicated to spreading a vile heresy/heathenism. Maybe the only thing I even barely enjoyed was the artifact system. Besides that, it's utter shit.
    The worst part is even if you turn off secret cults the heresy system is still totally broken. It's much easier for rulers to convert to heresies now and the AI absolutely always does it all the time. All these systems were designed with the player in mind and only the player while the AI exploits the fuck out of it because no one in Stockholm bothered to actually test this shit apparently.
    « Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 02:57:56 AM by Justinian Ezkantion »
    Justinian Ezkantion
    • (Not) Not the Fourth King of Ainur
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Wintreath Nation

Pages: [1]