Pages: [1]

The Cult always wins

Laurentus
  • Regional Stability Squad
  • Count of Highever
  • Towns, Wolves, Wolfie Towns and Townie Wolves and everyone in between, thank you for taking the time to read why I totally deserve to be the leader of your cult, despite the worthy competition we have in this election. 

I'd like to start by saying that there are no bad choices to make here. Every candidate will advance Wintrean Werewolf in their own unique way, and the ideas presented are intriguing indeed. 

With that out of the way, allow me to answer the questions posed by Moot for the election:

1) Why are you running for this position?
    It's much easier to control the direction of the game if I'm a solid Town leader, of course. 

2) What do you aim to accomplish as thane? As part of this, you must include at least one thing that you promise to do beyond the minimum listed duties of the position during your term. It should be measurable, so that it's black and white whether you fulfilled this mandate at the end of the term if you are elected.

It has become clear that there is a group of players who we have become rather ill-equipped to settle and welcome into our Werewolf community: complete newbies. This is, to a large extent, due to incredibly active games that tend to be very intricate and contain many non-standard roles and deviations, which makes it very difficult for a newbie to gain a good footing. To solve this problem, there are a few things we can explore: we could host our own, small mentorship games where the aim is to treat the game as a type of tutorial-in-motion, like they have over at MU. Another option is simply to outsource this function to MU entirely, lol, since they have a much more dedicated player base and it doesn't strain their man-power to nearly the same extent. I want to strengthen our ties with MU, anyway, although that is perhaps a less concrete and measurable goal. 

Beyond that, I wish to continue to advise Moot on how best to expand our Werewolf system, and keep the excellent momentum that has been built for adding new quality-of-life improvements for the hosts and the players, first among them being a proper ISOing tool.

3) What qualifications or experience do you have in the area that you are running in?
    I've been Werewolf Thane numerous times over the years, and I am probably the most experienced player, which has exposed me to many different forums and systems. 

4) How do you plan to have the time to fulfill the duties of the position until the next election?

Good time management and ample delegation, as I wish to build a strong leadership team that can sustain our Werewolf community well into the future

5) Are you currently a part of any other NationStates regional or organizational government? If so, please include those regions and positions.
    Hell to tha naw, son. 

Once more, thank you for taking the time to read my campaign, and may all my fellow contestants die honourable deaths as we face the Town's bloodthirst.
    In die donker ure skink net duiwels nog 'n dop, 
    Satan sit saam sy kinders en kyk hoe kom die son op. 
    • Count of Highever
    Laurentus
    • Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      The Noble House of Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    Wintermoot
  • The Greyscale Magi-Monk
  • Hey there! I have to admit, I can't remember the last time we had such a competitive election for anything, where I couldn't make a decision after giving it a few minutes of thought. So after reading everyone's campaigns, I have some questions...some are specific to you, and some I'm going to be asking everyone running.

1) You mentioned that you wanted to strengthen ties with Mafia Universe...what form do you imagine that takes? Is it like NationStates foreign affairs where we send them an ambassador and our dispatchies, or do these ties take other forms? You also mentioned the possibility of outsourcing tutorial games to MU...does it take something away from our own Werewolf scene if we have to be reliant on another site to teach our players?

2) As a candidate who is running on working more closely with other Werewolf communities, I wanted to pick your brain on something...how can we make Wintreath a more attractive place outside of Werewolf for the people from those communities? We have a number of players from elsewhere who have invested a lot of time and made a lot of posts in our Werewolf games, but they haven't really become part of our own community. How can we change that? I understand this isn't necessarily a responsibility of the Thane of Werewolf, but I think tackling this would go a long way toward making our own community more vibrant and resilient (and less NS-dependant).

3) Speaking of NS, we're involved in quite a few areas that compete for time and attention, especially from me: NationStates, Werewolf, and other forum and Discord games. If you had to split the time and energy we put into each as percentages (so they add up to 100%), what would that split be and why? Do you ever foresee a time when Werewolf is a more prominent aspect in Wintreath than NationStates?

4) One of the unique aspects of the Summer season is the Summersend festival, which happens in August. What sort of Werewolf-related ideas and events are you thinking for the festival?

5) You're the only candidate who gave any mention to building out a strong leadership team for the future...how would you go about doing that?

6) Overall, I feel like you're running as a facilitator or coordinator...someone who doesn't plan to be as hands-on as some of the other candidates, but will bring people together and delegate. Is this a fair assessment? If so, what do you feel are the benefits of that approach?

7) All the competition in this election is stiff...what do you bring to the table for Werewolf that none of your competitors do?

Thank you for your answers in advance! :)
    1 person likes this post: taulover

I went all the way to Cassadega to commune with the dead
    They said "You'd better look alive"
    Wintermoot
    • The Greyscale Magi-Monk
    • Weather: ❄️
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation
    Laurentus
  • Count of Highever
  • Hey there! I have to admit, I can't remember the last time we had such a competitive election for anything, where I couldn't make a decision after giving it a few minutes of thought. So after reading everyone's campaigns, I have some questions...some are specific to you, and some I'm going to be asking everyone running.

1) You mentioned that you wanted to strengthen ties with Mafia Universe...what form do you imagine that takes? Is it like NationStates foreign affairs where we send them an ambassador and our dispatchies, or do these ties take other forms? You also mentioned the possibility of outsourcing tutorial games to MU...does it take something away from our own Werewolf scene if we have to be reliant on another site to teach our players?

2) As a candidate who is running on working more closely with other Werewolf communities, I wanted to pick your brain on something...how can we make Wintreath a more attractive place outside of Werewolf for the people from those communities? We have a number of players from elsewhere who have invested a lot of time and made a lot of posts in our Werewolf games, but they haven't really become part of our own community. How can we change that? I understand this isn't necessarily a responsibility of the Thane of Werewolf, but I think tackling this would go a long way toward making our own community more vibrant and resilient (and less NS-dependant).

3) Speaking of NS, we're involved in quite a few areas that compete for time and attention, especially from me: NationStates, Werewolf, and other forum and Discord games. If you had to split the time and energy we put into each as percentages (so they add up to 100%), what would that split be and why? Do you ever foresee a time when Werewolf is a more prominent aspect in Wintreath than NationStates?

4) One of the unique aspects of the Summer season is the Summersend festival, which happens in August. What sort of Werewolf-related ideas and events are you thinking for the festival?

5) You're the only candidate who gave any mention to building out a strong leadership team for the future...how would you go about doing that?

6) Overall, I feel like you're running as a facilitator or coordinator...someone who doesn't plan to be as hands-on as some of the other candidates, but will bring people together and delegate. Is this a fair assessment? If so, what do you feel are the benefits of that approach?

7) All the competition in this election is stiff...what do you bring to the table for Werewolf that none of your competitors do?

Thank you for your answers in advance! :)
    1) No, it's nothing as formal as that, lol. They would have very little interest in most of the things we post in our dispatches, and they also wouldn't really be all that interested in sending an ambassador of their own. Strengthening ties can be done rather concretely by having our own subforum on MU, and hosting games there to pique their players' interest in our style and culture when playing Werewolf, and this can have the impact of getting some of those people to go on and play games on our own forums, too, which has already kinda been happening even without a formal presence on the MU forums. MU is best not to think of as a singular entity, but a nexus that connects multiple disparate communities who all share a singular interest: Werwolf. 

And no, I do not believe it takes anything away from our Werwolf. We simply don't always have the man-power to make mentor games feasible, and these mentor games are usually very straightforward and vanilla, anyway, so our own unique flavour of Werewolf would still always be alluring. It would, in fact, benefit our new players as they can get exposed to mentors who've been at this for decades, in some cases, and who also dedicate a much larger portion of their time to Werewolf than we do, so it would strengthen the start our new players receive, make them aware of many different play styles from the get-go, and allow them to hit the ground running with our own more intricate games when we host those.

2) Hmm, well, I think a good foundation has been laid by Marzipan for this, actually, since people from these communities wouldn't be all that interested in elections and politics and NS and shit, but they do love playing games, and Among Us, One Night Ultimate Werewolf, etc. would be great ways to get them involved with our Discord community. @Dolby actually has his own Discord where a lot of these types of games are played and organised on a regular basis.

3) My answer probably doesn't mean much, lmao, since I thoroughly detest NS, and have for years. I think it's a cancer we can't get rid of soon enough. That said, no, unless we find a central identity completely separate from NS, I don't think it's realistic to think we'll ever move away from it completely. I have seen some people who join us for NS and stay because of the community, though, and in one case, Anubhav, actually stay specifically because of games like Spyfall and Werewolf, though. Actually, that reminds me, we should introduce Spyfall to MU, as well, and this ties in with an earlier question on how to strengthen relations with MU. 

Oh, I realise I didn't answer the portion about whether Werewolf is a realistic replacement for NS: nah, probably not. There are hundreds of people active at MU, and more added every day, but it still doesn't quite compare to the number of people who are active on NS. 

4) I have never been much of a participant in the Summersend festival, but a solid activity generator is always a quick Werewolf game with a twist. I'm sure the same could be done again.

5) Well, informally, at first. I would leverage the great ideas we have already had from all the candidates running for election, and definitely get them involved in a sort of informal council. The things unique to their campaigns would be things they are uniquely suited to carrying out, and I would try to make sure they are empowered to do so, with as few obstacles in their way as possible. Eventually, I would hope to prove the need for Werwolf to be its own ministry again, which would allow for a few thanes.

6) Yeah, I'd say that's fair. Beyond my own concrete goal of establishing a mentorship program and expanding the toolset we would need to continue to be competitive with MU when hosting great games, I don't wish to pretend that I, alone, have great ideas for how best to bring Werwolf forward. I wish to leverage our community's skill set and unique visions to bring Werewolf much further than a lone architect possibly could.

7) It is indeed stiff, and honestly, there are people with a lot more ideas than I do who are running fantastic campaigns. What I bring is my natural leadership abilities and a wealth of experience with Werewolf, as well as a drive to get shit done and plough through all obstacles. I plan to do all of this even if I lose the election, anyway, lol. And lord have mercy on anyone who tries to get me to shut up. 
    1 person likes this post: taulover
    In die donker ure skink net duiwels nog 'n dop, 
    Satan sit saam sy kinders en kyk hoe kom die son op. 
    • Count of Highever
    Laurentus
    • Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      The Noble House of Valeria
      Wintreath Nation

Pages: [1]