Pages: 1 [2] 3 ... 11

Europeia

HannahB
  • Former Citizen
  • Nuclear Soldermancer
  • I agree with Point Breeze. My duties as ambassador basically consist out of spamming their forum with events and updates every now and then. :P

So I'm all for you leading it.

All good then.

I can effictively lead the delegation then :) sounds like fun ^-^

Of course if anyone else pops along and sees this and wants to look into it there's nothing stopping them. :)
    HannahB
    • Nuclear Soldermancer
    • "You can not fight for Peace, you can only fight for War"
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      She/Her/Hers
      Familial House
      Everden
      Wintreath Nation
    Laurentus
  • Regional Stability Squad
  • Count of Highever
  • Oh, and @VidiLune.
    In die donker ure skink net duiwels nog 'n dop, 
    Satan sit saam sy kinders en kyk hoe kom die son op. 
    • Count of Highever
    Laurentus
    • Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      The Noble House of Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    Wintermoot
  • The Greyscale Magi-Monk
  • Once you register and get masked on their forums, you should be able to see the Symposium forum. Not much there at the moment since it hasn't started, but at least you can see it. :P
    1 person likes this post: Laurentus

I went all the way to Cassadega to commune with the dead
    They said "You'd better look alive"
    Wintermoot
    • Weather: ❄️
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation
    Lidwine
  • Former Citizen
  • I talk so little you forgot I was here Laurentus? :p

And I just don't think I can, I'm sorry.
    « Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 01:58:49 PM by VidiLune »
    Lidwine
    • Lost in a happy madness
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      She/Her/Hers
      Familial House
      The Noble House of Penguon
      Wintreath Nation
    Laurentus
  • Count of Highever
  • Pretty much. :P

And that's fine.
    In die donker ure skink net duiwels nog 'n dop, 
    Satan sit saam sy kinders en kyk hoe kom die son op. 
    • Count of Highever
    Laurentus
    • Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      The Noble House of Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    Evelynx
  • Former Citizen
  • Queen of Love and Beauty
  • AYE!

I'll tag along.
    Evelynx
    • Queen of Love and Beauty
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      She/Her/Hers
      Wintreath Nation
    Aexnidaral Seymour
  • Village Drifter
  • Hi there!

Europeia regularly has a series of games running around the weekends-- we get together to play Cards Against Humanity and Town of Salem, among other various boardgames. Our Ministry of Culture was hoping for some outside input, so we put together a poll that's around four questions long. We're trying to find out what kinds of games everyone prefers and when's the best times and dates to hold the games.

You can take the poll by clicking [here].

Thanks for taking the time to read this and participate in the poll! We look forward to gaming with you!
    Aexnidaral Seymour
    • Village Drifter
    Aexnidaral Seymour
  • Village Drifter
  • Issue IV: June 13th, 2016
    [/b]
    [big][big][big][big]Can NationStates Have Class?[/big][/big][/big][/big]
    [big][big]Research Article | Calvin Coolidge, Author[/big][/big]

Shortly after the major update on April 28th, HYDRA made an announcement that they had raided the region Edisonia, a founderless region. However, this wasn't just any region, this was a class region. The moderation team instantly struck against HYDRA for this raid, saying that it had long been a rule that class regions should not be invaded by those outside the class. HYDRA retaliated by stating that this rule was not made clear, and, had they known it was illegal, they would not have partaken in the raid in the first place. By the time everything was said and done, HYDRA was punished, and Eliot Isaraider, the military operative at the head of the operation was placed on an extended World Assembly ban (extended from a previous WA ban he was already serving due to Predator-related punishments), and new information was added to the "Forbidden Actions" section of the rules. On the face of it, this struggle seems like a raider organization overstepping its bounds, breaking the rules, and getting punished: something that has become increasingly common this year in the game. However, something stuck out to me about this story. Before news of this operation broke, I had hardly heard of class regions, and it seems a lot of gameplay had similar confusions over what these regions are, how they operate, and what their relationship is to the wider world of NationStates. So, to help clear that confusion, let's use this event to get an inside look at class regions.

First, let's ask the obvious question: what is a class region? According to the NS page for educators (found here) "To facilitate its use in classes, NationStates allows educators to establish a special class region, within which students' nations reside. This region is isolated from the rest of the game world, so students cannot communicate with or be approached by other players." That seems simple enough. There are multiple ways one could imagine the political world of NS being used to educate students, and class regions strive to set up an environment where those features can be accessed, without fear of the outside world of the game getting too involved in the education of students. Additionally, class regions may contain players that are younger than your average NS player, due to it being used in a 5th grade Social Studies class, for example. One of the features of a class region is that nations in that region, "will not receive daily issues that could be considered adult in nature." There is also a warning to educators along the bottom of that page that, "The game has more than a dozen Moderators who act swiftly to remove inappropriate material, but I can't completely guarantee that you (or your students) will never encounter it before they do." The unusual restrictions on telegrams are part of a series of protections that are imposed upon class regions to help protect young students from inappropriate material. We have probably all received telegrams that are nothing but spam or swear words aimed at us for whatever reason, and this is an attempt to mitigate that risk for what may be young students playing NationStates because their teacher told them to.

What does that leave students with, however? Well, almost everything that the rest of us players have. The differences include: being an automatic member of the World Assembly (without having to supply an e-mail), no telegrams from or to nations outside the region, and you cannot leave the region. In addition, issues that are "adult" in nature are not sent to these nations, and the only ads they will see are the ones for Max Barry's books. Clearly, the goal of these regions is to ensure that they are isolated communities, free from influence of the outside world. However, as the HYDRA incident shows, this is not always the case.

The only thing separating a class region from everyone else is one password. Ideally, that password is kept a secret between the teacher and their students, but things happen. Another interesting tidbit we found out was that, despite having a WA ban in place on him, Eliot was immediately granted WA status on his nation, even though he never applied. This is an interesting side effect of not having student nations use an e-mail to gain WA status. Since there was nothing that had to be checked in order to become a WA nation, Eliot obtained something that he should not have been able to obtain, because the game gave it to him. This is a ban-worthy offense, despite being automatic, and mods have punished nations in class regions for having two WAs at once, including for having a WA nation in a class region and a WA nation not in a class region. In fact, if this double WA holder does not immediately rectify the issue, and report the problem to the moderation team, they will be severely punished, like any other incident of being in possession of multiple WA nations. Another little misconception brought up during the HYDRA raid was whether class nations can make WA proposals. After asking moderator Mousebumples, it was determined that class nations are permitted to submit both General Assembly or Security Council proposals, just like any other WA nation with at least 2 endorsements. This is an odd quirk in the whole isolation factor of class regions. While there are obvious educational benefits to seeing what passes the WA and what doesn't, the ability to pass something without playing any other aspect of the game puts class regions in a unique power position, whether they know it or not. On the flip side, however, the inability of class nations to send out telegrams makes it nearly impossible to coordinate a telegram campaign, which makes it quite difficult to get submitted proposals to quorum and a vote. So, maybe take all this with a grain of salt.

All of these things point to one conclusion, which I think it accurately summarized by moderator Sedgistan: "Class regions are "out of the game" when it comes to gameplay." (Source.)  The official rule that was added as a result of this invasion is: "Unless you are an invited member of that class, you should not move to a class region." (Source.)  NationStates is a place where all communities are connected: from the roleplayers, to the military-types, even the issue-answerers. We all live in the same world, and are subject to the same rules, regardless of whether we intend to be or not. Class regions, however, are in a world of their own. Their version of NationStates is very similar to ours, but should never crossover. The consequences, as HYDRA and others have learned, can be dire. I hope that this article has shed a light into the world of class regions, with the hope that now that we understand what they are, we can all agree to just leave them alone.

[big][big][big][big]Discussing the Symposium on Women in NationStates[/big][/big][/big][/big]
    [big][big]Interview | Kraketopia, Editor-In-Chief[/big][/big]

After the successful Symposium on Women in NS held in Europeia, which saw 21 topics and 259 posts from participants across NS, The Standard thought it would sit down with the main organizer, Mousebumples, and talk about the success of the Symposium, and how governments and administrators in NS can move forward with the findings from the Symposium.

Kraketopia: Today we have the well renowned mod and legendary cheese hoarder, Mousebumples.  Thank you for taking the time to sit down with us.  Recently you were the driving force behind the Women and NationStates Symposium, which took place in Europeia.  What compelled you to host this conference, and how did you prepare for it?

Mousebumples: It all started when I hosted a Women & NationStates panel/lecture for the NS World's Fair last December.  I talked with Asta and NeeNee on Mixlr, and while that was a great experience ... it felt like there was still plenty more that should be discussed.  When President Trinnien approached me to be his Minister without Portfolio last term, here in Europeia, this is one of the projects we talked about wanting to accomplish.  So far as the "how" - just talking with a bunch of people, getting interested individuals to help me run panels and participate on panels.  There was a lot of interest within NS as a whole, which definitely helped.

Kraken: That's great, it's always awesome when people are eager to help put on an event, especially across regional boundaries.  What were the main discussion points of the Symposium?  Were there any findings or positions that surprised you?

Mouse: I wanted to make it as accessible as I could to any female player in NationStates, so we had specific panels about female player involvement in most of the areas of NS.  Gameplay certainly got a little extra coverage, given the overall Gameplay focus within Europeia, but NSGers and RPers also had specific opportunities to express what issues they viewed within their community.  Overall, the support for female players (and equality within each sphere) was strong, but it also made it clear to me that while most of the major players within NationStates take allegations of harassment, abuse, or unfair treatment seriously, there are (unfortunately) some regions of the game where such actions are not viewed in such a harsh light. 

Additionally, there were some points of view that I hadn't considered, but that - in retrospect - are worthy of further consideration.  This includes stuff like that new female players are often first considered for Culture-type positions versus other avenues, or the inherent possible sexism and depersonalization within some of the NS family setups across NationStates merely because of the huge gender imbalance within the game itself.  Heck, one of the things that surprised me was my realizing that I had been the subject of sexual harassment many years ago.  I never really viewed it as such because it never seemed "that bad," compared to some of the things I hear about from other players, but the Symposium helped me truly view it as what it was - the unwillingness of another player to accept no for an answer.

Kraken: What do you think is the next step for the analysis of gender relations and roles in NS?  A future Symposium, a research essay, a constant dialogue, support network, or something else?

Mouse: My essay writing days are in my past, I must say, as I mostly gave that up when I finished college.  However, I think, at minimum, we need to continue to have a dialogue between players.  Whether that's female players supporting female players, or forum administrators discussing issues with other forum administrators to allow them to proactively protect the players within their region.  I know that Asta and Xor (and a few others) do have a female support forum/network that they've created, but I've avoided joining to this point.  In large part, that's because of my mod status.  I doubt most players would mind if I participated, but I don't want to make anyone feel uncomfortable in that sort of situation, and I know that for some, even having a mod around at all can definitely do that.  A future Symposium is certainly a possibility, but I don't have anything along these lines even generally sketched out at this point.  Maybe another discussion at the NS World's Fair, maybe another symposium, or ... whatever else the future may have in store.

Kraken: What advice would you give for administrators and governments on the treatment of female players, especially new players?

Mouse: Some of it is, I think, common sense.  Make it clear to the community that that sort of behavior is not to be tolerated - and that includes "hilarious jokes" on official regional chats (Skype or IRC or Discord or what have you).  Harrassers will optimize whatever opporunities are available to them to do what they'll do - and each region should hopefully have a host of players that are prepared to call out this sort of misbehavior and stand up for what might be a relatively new female player that otherwise might wonder if that sort of behavior is condoned, or worse, accepted within this region. 

Whether a region has "laws against harassment" or makes it clear that it's a Terms of Service issue, each regional government and administrative team should be prepared to respond in various scenarios.  Sometimes, it'll be easy - a non citizen is accussed of harassment abroad, and an administrative ban may be warranted.  But what if it's a member within your region?  What if it's an otherwise valuable member within your region, who is "really really great" ... except for the abominable behavior he has towards female players?  These are tough questions to ask and answer, but I think that each region will be better served by answering these questions in the hypothetical before they are confronted with circumstances that have faced other regions across NationStates when some prominent players have been accussed of such deplorable actions.

Kraken: Agreed, and hopefully this Symposium has helped highlight the importance of these issues, and will help all regions prepare accordingly.  Thank you for talking with us today.

Mouse: No problem.  I'm happy to talk about such an important issue facing all regions within NationStates.

[big][big][big][big]Reflections on the FRA[/big][/big][/big][/big]
    [big][big]Opinion | OnderKelkia, Author[/big][/big]

Written May 30th, 2016

The Founderless Regions Alliance has long served as the favoured club of the defender political establishment. Despite the rise and fall of the United Defenders League in 2011-14, the FRA has retained its status as the centre of political gravity in the Defender world ever since the demise of the Alliance Defence Network (and its short-lived successor, the Defender Security Alliance) in 2007. Never has the FRA lived up to the reality of being a founderless regions alliance in a literal sense. Yet even by the FRA's historical standards, the extent to which it is today dependent on a clique of defender elites from the game-created regions of The Rejected Realms and Lazarus is breathtaking. Insofar as the daily functioning of the FRA as an organisation is concerned, its other member-regions may as well not exist. 

Consider these figures: Between 1st May and 29th May, 35 users logged onto the FRA forums. Within that number, 19 were in the groups "Visitor", "Invader", "Diplomat", "Military Liaison" and "Non-Allied Ranger". 16 users were grouped as administrators, cabinet members, Assembly Members or Regional Members. Out of those 16, only Nobody of Importance (Neanbear), Northern Chittowa and Lemurian Islands have no current affiliation with either TRR or Lazarus. This means that a mere three individuals participate in the FRA's central institutions without being linked to TRR or Lazarus.

When we dig deeper, it becomes apparent that the real number of active FRA members without affiliation to TRR or Lazarus is actually 1. Neanbear is grouped as a regional member but was in fact attached to 00000 A World Power, which recently abandoned the sinking ship of the FRA. Lemurian Islands is primarily a member of Atlantis, but within that period last logged into the FRA on 1st May itself, so cannot be classed as an active contributor. That leaves Northern Chittowa (who was historically affiliated with Lazarus before it joined the FRA) as the sole active member of the FRA who is outside current TRR-Lazarus circles. It is unsurprising that Northern Chittowa emerges as the exception.  He has been the FRA's premier strategic architect since it was founded in 2006. Despite its pitiful state, he has every incentive to cling on to the defender political project which he created.

In order to dispute the above analysis, the FRA might be tempted to argue that citizens of TRR or Lazarus may be principally affiliated with another FRA region. For example, they might point to Tim Stark's connection to San Francisco Bay Area (with all its 8 nations) and Karputsk's affiliation with New Sorvun (with its grand total of 3 nations). Yet in the modern era, these are not genuine regional communities. Rather, they are puppet dumps (populated by long-term FRA partisans) employed to provide seats in the FRA Regional  Assembly for individual members of the defender political establishment who have loose ties to any active FRA region. It is therefore entirely irrelevant that some members of the FRA Regional Assembly may be officially recorded as representing  long-dead puppet dumps. The individuals nominally from these regions who contribute to the FRA are, in reality, participating because they are servants of the Defender sphere's political interests.

Bearing in mind that some defender politicians have a stake in the FRA without directly serving the interests of any region, it is important to make a distinction between the places from where the FRA derives its power and where power really lies within the organisation.

Without the regions of The Rejected Realms and Lazarus, the modern FRA would be powerless in practical terms. It would have no supply of new members to fill its cabinet posts and no meaningful military strength. On the FRA forums, only four individuals are left in the FRA Rangers group. None of them logged in between 1st May and 29th May. Lazarus and TRR are the only FRA regions with even semi-active militaries (and even they are weak compared to TITO or the AWP Regional Defence Force). Without Lazarus and TRR, the FRA would be no more than a collection of puppet dumps, plus a small number of more active regions (Gay, Atlantis and Antarctica) who make little contribution to the alliance's political and military activities. The FRA is dependent on TRR and Lazarus for its continued relevance.

The FRA understand this. They know that keeping TRR and Lazarus in their camp is essential to their survival. Securing a second defender-controlled game-created region was the reason why they merrily supported illegitimately purging Viktoria Gryfynn, North East Somerset and Charles Cerebella on false grounds from Lazarus in September 2013. Reflecting back on the events of September 2013, Funkadelia has observed that defenders accepted the New Pacific Order's actions only "out of necessity". What was the necessity? As Funkadelia put it:  "Having two defender GCRs is, and I am sure no one in the FRA will deny this, very important for the FRA." The defender capitulation to the New Pacific Order in September 2013 was essentially a desperate act of survival. The FRA is extremely fortunate that Feux and Stujenske mishandled the NLO situation so badly that the Defender world has succeeded in maintaining its own grip on Lazarus following the NPO's exit.

Given the fact that the entirety of the FRA's military and political power derives from Lazarus and TRR, surely the organisation ought to be an instrument of their governments? It does not even claim to be. It is a super-regional body which advances its own defender political agenda rather than the material interests of the 'sovereign' regions who contribute to it. It even has puppet dumps as protectorates so defender political elites can get extra seats on its assembly. A comparison with the United Imperial Armed Forces is instructive. Any one of the UIAF regional governments was vested with the authority to veto any UIAF mission or any UIAF command appointment. The UIAF was entirely an agent of the governments which ruled the three regions whose militaries contributed to it. Nothing could happen unless Albion, TNI and the LKE were jointly agreed on it. Do Lazarus and TRR enjoy similar formal mechanisms for exerting control over the FRA? No. Informally, it has been shown that Lazarus and TRR members dominate the FRA's active user-base. Yet it is the defender political project which they are serving, as opposed to the specific interests of their regions.

Ultimately, the FRA is a conglomeration of defender political figures. The clique that composes the FRA is primarily based in Lazarus and The Rejected Realms, but participants in its central organs also include other members of the defender political establishment. Rather than Lazarus and TRR controlling the FRA through their members, the principal-agent relationship is if anything the other way round. Through their membership of the FRA and the influence of FRA-associated eminence grises, Lazarus and TRR remain firmly committed to defender-aligned foreign and military policies. The individual identities of these game-created regions have been shaped to embed them in the Defender world. While influential Lazarus and TRR figures remain committed to the defender political project embodied by the FRA, there is little prospect for these regions gaining genuine independence. Like the FRA's other member-regions, The Rejected Realms and Lazarus are reduced to pawns which the defender political machine can move against the Independent regions of NationStates.
    Aexnidaral Seymour
    • Village Drifter
    Wintermoot
  • Thanks for the update! I had already read it on NSGP, but very interesting articles. :)

Wintermoot
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation
    Isaris
  • Ambassador

• July 2016

Government Officials

Supreme ChancellorsWorld Assembly DelegateExecutiveLegislativeJudicial

Trinnien defeats Calvin Coolidge and Aditya Republic in Presidential Election

(Europeia, July 7, 2016) - Assemblyman Trinnien defeated President Calvin Coolidge and Assemblyman Aditya Republic in the recent election for President of Europeia. Trinnien and his Vice President and outgoing Supreme Chancellor, HEM, earned 37 votes (50.7 percent of the vote), while Calvin Coolidge and his running mate Kuramia earned 28 votes (38.4 percent of the vote), and finally, Aditya Republic and his running mate Zapper earned 8 votes (11 percent of the vote).

"Europeia is more than just one person, it is more than just me. We have work to do in this term, as an Administration that seeks to revitalize and reinvigorate the spirit of the citizenry, and as a People that must find our passion and purpose.

Nine years is too long of a time, a legacy too greatly created, sacrifices too honorably given, and beliefs too deeply ingrained for us to sit idly by. We are Europeia, and we have and we will overcome any obstacle in front of us," said President Trinnien in his Inagural Address. Some of the most notable changes he and his Vice President promised to make were to split the Interior Ministry into Recruitment and Integration, as well as implement an "internship" program in the Civil Service Officum.

President Trinnien's Inagural Address can be found here: http://www.nationstates.net/page=dispatch/id=658462

Changes to Europeian Chancellery

(Europeia, July 15, 2016) - After Supreme Chancellor HEM resigned at the conclusion of the Presidential election, two additions to the Chancellery have been made. Mousebumples and Drecq will join the team at Supreme Chancellor Lethen's side.

Drecq will join the Chancellory as Vice-Chancellor, for which he does not need Senate confirmation according to the Constitution of Europeia. He currently serves as Attorney General and is one of the most distinguished members of the currently active community. "I feel the person chosen possesses all the skills I'd ask for in my deputy: oratory skills, reliability, an understanding of the expectations of the Chancellery and its duties, and a history of excellence in our region," Lethen explained.

Mousebumples' appointment needed to be confirmed by the Europeian Senate first. Honored citizen and six times President Pope Lexus X argued that, "Mouse has been one of the greatest assets to Europeia. It is a massive decision to raise someone to level of Supreme Chancellor but I can scarcely conceive of anyone more deserving." Mousebumples was confirmed as Supreme Chancellor unilaterally with 6 votes in favour. Her appointment was widely applauded.

HEM, whose resignation resulted in the appointments, seemed satisfied as he postulated that, "This is a new chapter for our region, and I suspect it will be a good one."

Standing Period Opens for August Senate Election

(Europeia, July 29, 2016) - The Republic of Europeia has just opened the standing period for the next Senate Election which will be held on August 5th. The standing period was opened by Vice Chancellor Drecq who said in his speech: "There exists no place where debate is as deeply enshrined within the very soul of the institution as it is in Europeia's Senate. So I encourage everyone, young and old, new and established Citizens alike, to run."

In order to be eligible for the ballot, candidates must have been citizens at the time the election was called, and must declare their candidacy to the Oval Room prior to the end of the standing period.

At the time of publication 17 candidates have stood for the Senate: Aexnidaral Seymour, Kraketopia, zapper, Rand, Kuramia, Potchen, Isaris, Malashaan, Aditya Republic, Possibly This, Shin 3.0, Anumia, Alnama, McEntire, Punchwood, United Vietussia and Notolecta.

Worst of the Worst

This past major update, the Europeian Republican Navy led a tag update operation with the Jomsvikings of Balder and the British Army in United Kingdom. Despite large variance and a quicker update then normal, we succeeded in the operation. Fun was had between our regions and we ultimately came out successful with increased cooperation between our militaries.

Grand Admiral Writinglegend led and triggered with Commodore CptCarrot (also repping Balder), Midshipman Cat, Midshipman LeSageStupide, and Midshipman Cokeland participating in the operation.

Huzzah!

Quote from: Victory Announcement

OPERATION DETAG

Europeian Republican Navy
    ARNHELM
    EUROPEIA
    OFFICE OF THE GRAND ADMIRAL

--30th OF JULY TWO THOUSAND AND SIXTEEN--

Earlier this week, the ERN participated in a de tag update operation with the North Pacific Army of The North Pacific. For those unfamiliar, de tagging is a defending tactic that involves securing a region's delegacy and instituting its normal World Factbook Entry, removing another militaries invasion WFE that had been in place. This operation was taken part to increase cooperation with The North Pacific and yielded results of diversifying our operational output. This operation did both, and allowed sailors to get a taste of other operations.

Huzzah!

TROOPS REPORTING;

Grand Admiral Writinglegend
    Commodore CptCarrot
    Midshipman Cokeland

Thank you all for your participation.

REGARDS,
    Writinglegend, GRAND ADMIRAL

The Europeian Broadcasting Corporation Presents...
    Each report we file will feature at least one article from Europeia's state run media, the EBC, or from our private media center, the LethoMonarchy.

ENN - "Analysis: An Assembly With Balls Is Essential To The Long-Term Survival Of Europeia"
    Written by Klatonia
    Lecturer at the University of Europeia

The author is a former Mayor of the defunct City Council, a former Senator, Speaker and presidential candidate. His opinions do not reflect those of the E-News Network.

So this is a continuation of this thread. I just finished reviewing the whole CARP saga and... well, it was instructive, to say the least. Here's a post-facto, summary, institutionalist (and probably wrong) sub-analysis, in line with my previous comments.

The very existence of the CARP underlines that there might have been a downside in the shift towards educational purpose of the CA. When CA leaders or up-and-comers are educating, they are not... how shall I say this... capitalizing on their newly-acquired political capital. When the CA is deprived (and I use it in a non-derogatory sense) of a stated or informal role/influence in policymaking (and that goes WAY beyond ordinances and pre-acts and the technical stuff), the whole system suffers because the CA is no longer training future leaders through experience.

That's the point I think HEM was trying to make: if the lay-level, non-elected entity only aims at educational goals, then it fails to provide proper real-life experience (as opposed to simulated experience) to members and, thus, fails to nurture advanced political skills like negotiation, leadership and responsibility.

Thus, the CARP. From a remote and more historical perspective, it seems as if one of the unstated reasons for its creation was the inability of the CA to ''stock the shelves'' with new leaders. It provided more technically skilled citizens but less politically proficient members. In institutionalist terms, Europeia's political structure lost one of the two predominant ways to create an intermediary output of leadership (the other being straight importation from other Regions). The system thus has to create a ''new'' toy to compensate for such systemic failure.

So where to go from here? Well, three possibilities immediately come to mind. First is to reestablish the CARP, thus providing the system with what seems to have been a rather reliable output of leaders. Second would be to establish a new program with comparable objectives.

Third... well, third goes back to the question HEM and Notolecta were arguing about: what's the role of the CA? Should the CA once again assume (in part or in whole) the purpose of providing a close-to-reality political simulation forum, or should it remain a technical institute for political bureaucrats?

The first option would both force the Region to lend some legitimacy to the Assembly and force the Assembly to assume a more political role - with every possible calamity that comes with it: conflict, confrontation, negotiation, power trips, intrumentalization of somewhat clueless members, and other predicted disaster. It carries the risk of gravedigging the old guard/new guard bullshit. However, it provides the opportunity (nothing more) for the development of leadership skills. Never for the many, only for the few who thrive in that kind of environment. Cost, benefit.

Reading the CARP archives, I wondered why the CA was limited to an educational role and why the leaders were basically selected for political upwards mobility. Is it that the Region has become confrontation-averse and wishes to streamline the rise of potential leaders through means that exclude troublemaking? I don't know, I'm just thinking out loud.

The second option seems to be working to a lot of people's satisfaction. It actually works as intended, apparently, with the usual ups and downs. The sheer quality of the educational resources is mind boggling. My concern is that the curriculum (and some feedback and comments I've seen posted) aim almost exclusively at developing what are known as (and sorry, it's a translation because I don't know the English term for it) compliance skills.

Correctly understanding, discussing and drafting legislation is not related (in theory) to personal style of leadership. Europeia, through its freaking awesome legal architecture (and the individuals that built it), has corporatized, streamlined and standardized almost every aspect of government related to legality, including the vocabulary and writing conventions of policy. So the educational resources and support provided seem, to me, like they strive to teach citizens how to comply with established norms... and THAT ISS FINE. Im a freaking lawyer, I can relate and appreciate. What you get is an active population that hosts a larger proportion of legal- or legislative-literate citizens.

But it does not nurture leaders.

We need a lay-level entity, whatever its freaking name, that allows both objectives to be attained at the same time.

Everything I've read and lived through so far here reflects what I would shamelessly call a Europeian truth: we are only as vibrant a Region as the quality of our leaders. If you don't like that statement, that's too bad. Engaging people in activity and creativity is only possible when the right levers are activated: when high-yielding recruitment leads to a larger population, and therefore a larger potential field of active members, who are then activated by either their past experience (a minority) or by the experience they live once they're admitted. All these levers - recruitment, integration, animation - are in the hands of the Executive. Yes, individual initiative can foster a punctual spike in participation. Yes, RL trends directly affect the activity level of the board. But in the end, looking through history, it is very difficult to disprove the thesis that we are a leader-driven region with strong democratic roots (which makes us a republic, really, what a coincidence) and a very steady, very influencial internal culture.

On that last point, it's only since I came back two days ago and skimmed the archives that I've come to truly appreciate the 'old guard' for what they are: a cultural safenet. This steadiness in our political and social culture is what allows Europeia to avoid having to reinvent the wheel every year, or to regularly fall under the spell of ill-faithed demagogues (it has happened but very rarely considering the length of our terms). So I'll take this opportunity to address a public apology to Lethen, Anumia, HEM, Lexus, Neo and Asianatic: if I had understood THAT in 2009-2011, things would have been different. I don't regret stirring s*it up. I don't regret confronting the 'establishment'. Hell, I don't even regret the intent behind the Extreme Measures Act. The way it was done and the sometimes blatant dismissal of your contribution, however, were inexcusable, and I apologize for that.

To survive in a context of high citizen turnover, Europeia needs a steady supply chain of politically activated, lucid citizens (which includes utopists, by the way) who are given the chance to learn not just through scholastic exercises but through the experience of situations that are as close to the 'real' leadership as possible. For some, it's to champion a bill they really care about once they learn how to frame it. For others, it'll be the learning of the ropes of political maneuvering through a seemingly absurd revolt against, let's say, the Senate's lack of transparency. Whatever the case, every citizen should have an easy access to a resource where political experiences can be lived and experienced to the fullest in order to exercise an honest judgement of their will to 'climb up the ranks' or 'make a name for themselves'.

For the record, I think the CARP narrowed that access by 1) cementing the role of the CA to purely 'educational' purposes and 2) putting in place a recruitment system that limits the number of 'chosen people' and the ways they can learn. It hinders the emergence of out-of-the-ordinary, somewhat unexpected leaders. In short, it skews the necessary diversity of the leadership supply market. Its disbanding was a good thing, but it does not solve the issue at hand: if not the CARP, then what?

Does that mean the CA is the only way to create leaders? Of course not. But since all others rely on voluntary participation that hinges on a combination of personal volition and leaders' capability to create/rally interest, the CA presents a very high potential for systemic leadership and citizenship development. That should be its mission, and we should be able to accept that it can, in time, take forms we personally don't like. Accepting a loss of control is a skill many should learn.

Upcoming in Europeia...

The EurOlympics, a mix of games and intra-administration competitions, will be held August 15th through August 19th.

The next Presidential Election will be held on September 9th, 2016, with the Standing Period beginning between August 29th and September 2nd, 2016.

This has been a joint production from the Ministry of Communications and Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Europeia. Thank you for reading!
    « Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 02:40:53 AM by Isaris »
    Isaris
    Isaris
  • Ambassador

• Coalition Against the Ideology of Nazism (CAIN)

Salutations,

We'd like to take a moment to invite all of you to join us in discussing a solution to one of the most prevalent issues facing the NationStates community today, Nazism. For far too long, we've struggled to face an issue that degrades us as a community. As a whole, this community has allowed gameplay divides, political squabbles, and personal hostility to affect the way that we approach an ideology that few of us care for in favor of standing alone. We believe that the time has come to put aside these differences for a conference open to all, regardless of creed, gameplay sphere, or even past differences.

Starting on October 9th, Europeia will be hosting a conference called the Coalition Against the Ideology of Nazism (CAIN for short). We invite everyone, of all walks of life and regardless of past differences, to join us on our off-site forum for this event. We will have discussions around Nazism's impact on NationStates, a round table dialogue regarding an inter-regional agreement to face this impact, and a welcoming atmosphere for all of those standing opposed to Nazism in NationStates.

We hope to see you join us and, in the meantime, you should join us in the CAIN Discord Chat!
    Isaris
    Wintermoot
  • Thank you for the invitation! I'll definitely look into sending a delegation. :)

Wintermoot
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation
    Kuramia
  • Ambassador

• INVITATION

As Chief Justice it is my honour to cordially invite you to the 2016 Judicial Convention, which will be taking place from Dec 6th-10th in Europeia. Special panels and discussions on the Europeian legal landscape will be the centerpiece of this Convention, to which all current and former Justices will be extended an invitation. The Convention will also feature debate and discussion on a number of legal topics from Europeia and abroad, which will be open for all attendees to participate in.

We hope to see you there!

Sincerely,

Kraketopia
    Chief Justice of Europeia
    Kuramia
    • Ambassador
    • Pronouns
      She/Him/They
      Representing
    Wintermoot
  • Thank you kindly for your invitation! The floor is open to Wintreans who would like to create a delegation to this convention. :)

Wintermoot
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation
    Kuramia
  • Ambassador

Who: Europeia will be hosting!

What: Survivor is a show that maroons a group of strangers in an isolated location, where they must provide food, water, fire, and shelter for themselves. The contestants compete in challenges for rewards and immunity from elimination. The contestants are progressively eliminated from the game as they are voted out by their fellow contestants, until only one remains and is given the title of "Sole Survivor". Frequent physical challenges are used to pit the teams against each other for rewards, such as food or luxuries, or for "immunity", forcing the other tribe to attend "Tribal Council", where they must vote off one of their players.

Once about half the players are remaining, the tribes are merged into a single tribe, and competitions are on an individual basis; winning immunity prevents that player from being voted out. Most players that are voted out at this stage form the game's "jury". Once down to two or three people, a final Tribal Council is held where the remaining players plead their case to the jury members. The jury then votes for which player should be considered the "Sole Survivor" and win the show's grand prize.

Where: Applications will take place in NSGP! The Survivor game will take place on Europeia's forum, here!

When: Applications will open on Saturday, February 3rd and last until February 8th, or whenever we have a clear amount of people as this season we feature an enormous cast size.

How: The game is run similarly to that of RL Survivor, however, without actual rewards we focus strictly on immunity and then tribal council. There will be twists, there will be turns, but at the end we hope you grow closer to your fellow NSers and Gameplayers. Partnerships are an important part of NationStates Gameplay, but now they are more important than ever in the brutal game of Survivor. Challenges will be a mix of radio and forum activities. Applications will not be a first come, first serve basis, but rather who I feel will do -great- in this game. And if you failed to get in, don't worry. We will establish a Viewer's Lounge where people can discuss and get up to date information about game happenings.
    See you on the 3rd!

Season Logo

Run by Ministry of Culture
    Kuramia
    • Ambassador
    • Pronouns
      She/Him/They
      Representing

Pages: 1 [2] 3 ... 11