Pages: 1 ... 13 [14] 15 ... 21

From the Ashes: A Galactic Nations RP! (IC)

From the Ashes NPC
  • Village Drifter
  • Tau's Puppet
  • Frosthold Castle
    Frostlake City
    Sector (-3, 3)

After a brief moment, the guard responded, "I apologize, Mr. Sul Gravemind, but that is not possible. The Monarch is currently preoccupied with rather important matters, and cannot meet the Avonite envoys outside of our preexisting scheduled time."

Wintrean Diplomatic Mission to the Aesir Empire
    AFS Jörmungandr
    Sector (-16, 14)

Lundgren walked alongside the new Aesir Jarl. She had come prepared for such terrible outcomes to happen, but she was still shaken. The former Jarl had clearly been quite unstable...

Clearing out her thoughts and focusing on the diplomatic situation, she waited for the Jarl to speak.

Wintrean Diplomatic Convoy
    Near Lernaean Border
    Sector (-14, 1)

"Thank you," responded Øye. "And yes, here are the relevant maps and coordinates."

Wintrean CIC
    Thandio System
    Sector (5, -6)

"Any progress on breaking through the Romulan jamming to connect to our nanocraft probes?" asked Nielsen to the rest of her officers.

"Fortunately, it hasn't been too difficult," a communications officer responded. "They can't use destructive interference, as they are unaware of our location. And they can't just send noise over all frequencies, since they are still communicating with each other. All we need to do is find the ones that the Romulans themselves use to communicate—"

"Admiral, we have made a connection, but our sensors no longer detect any lifeforms on the planet Thandio!" interrupted an officer.

Shocked, Nielsen did not reply.

"We have visual confirmation from another one of our nanocraft," reported another officer. "The entire surface of the planet has turned a greyish-brown. However, it would appear that all the inorganic infrastructure remains intact."

One of those Romulan superweapons, I see... mused Nielsen. They seem to think that their exotic technology can get them anywhere.

She looked across the CIC. Many of the officers had gone into various degrees of shock. She knew that a few of them were Thandians themselves, and had just witnessed the deaths of their friends and family.

"So the Romulans want a nice, clean planet for themselves, eh?" seethed Nielsen. "Well, if we Thandians and Wintreans can't have our own planet, nobody will."

After a brief pause, Nielsen continued. "Begin preparing orders for a coordinated microjump throughout the fleet. Prior to the jump, have all weapons ready. We will be conducting a full-scale orbital bombardment immediately upon exiting hyperspace. Target assets that would be more important to the Romulans first, but I want as much infrastructure destroyed as possible.

"Oh, and make sure to be quick. We don't want to give the Romulans any warning."

Minutes later, the fleet jumped within firing distance of Thandio.

And so as fire rained upon the planet below, the Wintreans lit a funeral pyre for their fallen brethren.
    From the Ashes NPC
    • Tau's Puppet
    • Village Drifter
    Hydra
  • Former Citizen
  • Hail Hydra!
  • Wallace White - Diplomat to Aesir
    Protheus
    Sector (-18, 1)

"Hmm... I'll agree to both! We have quite a surplus of food since war basically never touched us, and I hope it never will, but if it ever does, your military assistance will be greatly appreciated."

"Now I don't want to hold you here too long, as it seems you might be a bit busy," he said pointing to her wrist comm, "but I would like to offer military aid to you as well in case you are attacked. What do you say?"

Diplomatic Convoy to Witchians
    Somewhere near Witchian Border

"Those ships? I believe those belong to Science. They are fairly close to us," replied Jones. "I'll give you some time to talk to them. We'll get ready to construct our embassy."

Diplomatic Convoy en route to Science

Upon arrival, Knight got her crew ready to construct the embassy, and awaited further instructions from Science.

Wintrean Diplomatic Convoy
    Near Lernaean Border
    Sector (-14, 1)

David received the coordinates and quickly forwarded them over to ISA headquarters so that construction could begin.

Diplomatic Convoy to Romulans
    Near Romulan Border

(Will edit to include later)
    « Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 10:48:25 PM by xXTheHydraXx »
    You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
    - Mae West
    Hydra
    • Hail Hydra!
    • I solemnly swear that I'm up to no good.
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      The Noble House of Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    BraveSirRobin
  • Regional Stability Squad
  • My Dear Jean-Luc!
  • Orbit above Thandio 2
    Thandio System
    Sector (5, -6)

Fleet Praetor Relatrex sneered as the Wintrean Fleet exited hyperspace above the newly lifeless planet.  Human emotion.  It makes them weak and irrational beings.  It was a good thing that the Fleet Strategy Council was primarily Vulcan though.  Otherwise the emotional response would not have been harnessed and taken advantage of.  It was Tactical Commandant of the 5th Sector Fleet of the 2nd Imperial Fleet, Kiak Tyrram, a Vulcan, who proposed that a trap be lain using the 2nd Imperial Fleet's reserve force (the 5th Sector Fleet) as the hammer to smash whatever was left of the Wintrean forces in the Thandian System came to "save" or "avenge" the deaths of the billions of Thandians. 

Seeing the entrance of the Wintrean forces and their immediate bombardment of the planet surface, he signalled the 5th Sector Fleet. 

"Admiral Thuma, it is time."  The positions of the Wintrean ships were routed instantly to the incoming Romulan vessels, which arrived only seconds after Wintrean forces arrived—each vessel with its main armament locked on the Wintrean shield generators. 

Admiral Thuma was not known for her hesitancy, and she certainly didn't break tradition this time, either.  The Romulan fleet arrived firing. 

While this was occurring, the 2nd and 3rd Sector Fleets flanked the Wintrean vessels, while the battleships and heavy cruisers and carriers of the 1st Sector Fleet attempted to absorb the brunt of the Wintrean assault, to spare the newly-acquired heavy industry on the surface from absorbing too much fire...

Romulan Vessel IRW Pevatha
    Tavara-class
    Battlecruiser
    Romulan Border Zone

"Commander!  We have what appears to be a light convoy of unidentified xenos entering Romulan Space.  Shall we respond, sir?"

"Certainly Sublieutenant.  Broadcast the standard greeting and advise them to lower their shields and prepare to be boarded by Romulan Star Empire Customs and Border Enforcement Officials." 
    « Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 03:51:39 PM by BraveSirRobin »
    Sir Robin of Camelot

"Whilst the men of Caenia were scattered far and wide, pillaging and destroying, Romulus came upon them with an army, and after a brief encounter taught them that anger is futile without strength."  -Titus Livius, Ab Urbe Condita

(Ravenclaw is the best!)

Résumé/A History of Robin on NationStates
    Wintreath:
    Citizen: 4 June 2015 - present
    Member of the Hvitt Riddaral: 21 August 2015 - present
    Strifa of the 12th Underhusen: 8 October 2015 - 13 December 2015
    Speaker Pro Tem of the 13th Underhusen: 13 December 2015 - 8 February 2016
    Speaker Pro Tem of the 14th Underhusen: 8 February 2016 - 8 April 2016
    Speaker of the 16th Underhusen: 10 June 2016 - 11 August 2016
    Ambassador to Europeia: 5 December 2016 - present
    RP Guild Councillor: 23 February 2017 - present
    Ambassador to The North Pacific: 11 March 2017 - present
    Speaker of the 21st Underhusen: 10 April 2017 - 10 June 2017
    Delegate of Wintreath: 10 June 2017 - 15 March 2020
    Strifa of the 23rd Underhusen: 10 August 2017 - 10 November 2017
    Thane of Ambassadors: 10 October 2018 - 10 December 2018
    Commendation of Wintreath: Sept 24 2020

New Hyperion:
    Citizen: 27 November 2015 - present
    Patrician: 12 January 2016 - present
    Lord of Development: 5 February 2016 - present

(I stole this format from tau, but who am I not to copy a great system? :-) )

Ne Crustumini quidem atque Antemnates pro ardore iraque Caeninensium satis se impigre movent; ita per se ipsum nomen Caeninum in agrum Romanum impetum facit. Sed effuse vastantibus fit obvius cum exercitu Romulus levique certamine docet vanam sine viribus iram esse.
    BraveSirRobin
    • My Dear Jean-Luc!
    • We Meet Again, Mon Capitaine!!
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Wintreath Nation
    Arenado
  • Citizen
  • Some Random Guy
  • AES Murphy , in orbit around Avon, Avonite Enclave

Admiral Fir Hanover

He read the intercepted transmission from the Romulans. Damn bastard's thought that they were so clever, huh. He would show them. "Order the Renown, Desiccator, Harbinger and the Justice to break and form an attack formation around me. We're going after the Romulan. Move out!"

5 Pendletons broke and formed a diamond formation facing the Romulan battlecruiser. The gravity wells projected fields around the Romulan, preventing escape....
    I Hope You Have A Nice Day :]
    Arenado
    • Some Random Guy
    • Comfortably Numb
    • Citizen
    • Pronouns
      Any/All or They/Them
      Familial House
      Eske
      Wintreath Nation
    Aragonn
  • Citizen
  • Aesir Warrior
  • Drekiheimr
    Sector (-23, 14)

To the Avonites:

"Jarl Brunnhilde was previously Kommander of the Vordr, the branch of the Aesir Armed Forces dedicated to defending the Empire from foreign invaders. What you do while you wait is up to you. You have authorisation to come to the surface if you wish."

Jarl Brunnhilde
    AFS Jörmungandr
    Sector (-16, 14)

Carefully navigating the vast decks of the mighty vessel, she was doing her best to keep pace with the slower human. But she refused to show this in her expression. Not in front of Lundgren.

"I am curious to know of the current state of the Wintrean Remnant. Perhaps you could enlighten me?"

Ambassador Herjall
    Protheus
    Sector (-18, 1)

She was shocked by his readiness and willingness to accept the request for food. Happy that they would help in this critical area, as well as stand with the Aesir in any military conflict, she gratefully smiled at the man, sharp and pointed teeth becoming easily visible.

"This is wonderful news to hear! We shall be eternally grateful for your assistance in these difficult times for us. And as for being busy, that was just an update from my nation. I don't need to go anywhere just yet.

"Now, is there anything you would like from us? We are still in the process of rebuilding worlds and our population, but we do still have things to offer besides military assistance."
    Jarl Aragonn
    The Aesir Empire

Aragonn
    • Aesir Warrior
    • To sit back hoping that someday, some way, someone will make things right is to go on feeding the crocodile, hoping he will eat you last - but eat you he will.
    • Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    taulover
  • Seeker of Knowledge
  • Scientific Imperial Fleet Observation Task Force
    En route to Vivaldi
    Sector (-17, 18)

"Ah yes, of course," Mott replied. He then proceeded to give the ambassador a tour of the facilities. "I apologize if some of these areas are cramped for you," he said as he led the Aesir through some of the more utilitarian parts of the ship. "The mess hall and your quarters should have no problem in that aspect though."

Diplomatic Mission to Aesir Empire
    Drekiheimr
    Sector (-23, 14)

"Thank you for the information," said Glass as he closed the connection and waited for further directions from the new foreign government.

Vivaldi, Clausius
    Democratic Empire of Rationalist Science
    Sector (-12, 24)

The State Ministry opened up communications with the Lernaean mission and gave them instructions on where to land and construct their embassy.

Special Task Force of the Scientific Exploration Fleet
    Within Witchian Territories
    Sector (-15, -14)

"I am Director-General Bailey of the Scientific Exploration Fleet, representing the Democratic Empire of Rationalist Science," Bailey responded. "The Lernaeans pointed us here to look for a nation called New Witchmond, and upon approaching the border, the Witchian General Krimlo advised and gave us permission to enter your borders in an attempt to make diplomatic contact."

Diplomatic Mission to Lernaea
    Protheus
    Sector (-18, 1)

Upon arrival at the Lernaean capital, Ambassador Rogers sent a message to the local authorities asking for further instructions.
    Résumé
    Wintreath:
    Citizen: 8 April 2015 - present
    From the Ashes RP Game Master: 29 November 2015 - 24 July 2018
    Skydande Vakt Marshal: 29 November 2015 - 28 February 2017
    Skrifa of the 13th Underhusen: 13 December 2015 - 8 February 2016
    RP Guild Councillor: 9 February 2016 - 6 March 2018
    Ambassador to Lovely: 23 February 2016 - 17 August 2016
    Werewolf VII co-host: 11 May 2016 - 5 June 2016
    Skrifa of the 18th Underhusen: 8 October 2016 - 7 December 2016
    Ambassador to Balder: 1 December 2016 - 1 March 2022
    Skrifa of the 19th Underhusen: 7 December 2016 - 9 February 2017
    Ambassador to the INWU: 11 March 2017 - 1 March 2022
    Ambassador to the Versutian Federation: 18 August 2017 - 22 March 2018
    Thane of Integration: 29 September 2017 - 7 March 2018
    Speaker of the 24th Underhusen: 10 October 2017 - 7 December 2017
    October 2017 Wintreath's Finest: 4 November 2017
    Speaker pro tempore of the 25th Underhusen: 9 December 2017 - 7 February 2018
    Wintreath's Finest of 2017: 6 January 2018
    Werewolf XIV host: 20 January 2018 - 23 February 2018
    February 2018 Wintreath's Finest: 5 March 2018
    Thane of Embassy Dispatches / Foreign Releases and Information / Foreign Dispatches: 7 March 2018 - 15 March 2020
    Speaker of the 28th Underhusen: 10 June 2018 - 7 August 2018
    Second Patriarch of the Noble House of Valeria: 10 October 2018 - present
    Arena Game 6 Host: 28 December 2018 - 9 March 2019
    Librarian of the Underhusen: 29 January 2019 - 12 February 2019
    Speaker of the 32nd Underhusen: 12 February 2019 - 8 April 2019
    March 2019 Wintreath's Finest: 4 April 2019
    Librarian of the Underhusen: 12 April 2019 - 23 October 2020
    Commendation of Wintreath: 24 September 2020
    Peer of the Overhusen: 9 December 2020 - 8 February 2021
    Vice Chancellor of the Landsraad: 26 May 2021 - 15 September 2022
    Arena Game 8 Host: 10 June 2021 - 19 July 2021
    June 2021 Wintreath's Finest: 5 July 2021
    Regional Stability Squad: 28 February 2023 - present
    Minecraft Server Admin: 8 March 2023 - present

Aura Hyperia/New Hyperion:
    Plebeian: 16 April 2014 - 21 July 2014
    Patrician: 21 July 2014 - present
    Adeptus Mechanicus: 24 October 2014 - 16 November 2014
    Co-founder of New Hyperion: 29 October 2014 - present
    Lord of Propaganda: 16 November 2014 - present
    Mapmaker for Official Region RP: 27 November 2015 - present
    WACom Delegate: 11 November 2017 - present
    Other positions: Hyperian Guardsman, Hyperian Marine (Rank: Scout)
    taulover
    • Seeker of Knowledge
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    Arenado
  • Citizen
  • Some Random Guy
  • Frosthold Planet, Wintreath Remnant

Ecstatic Sul Gravemind

"I understand, but it is important. It's about your war with the Romulans. I understand that you need help. And I am here as an envoy for someone who is willing to offer you help. Would you be interested?"

Admiral Ark Innsmouth

The shuttle shot out of the bay, leaving the Strawberry Swing behind. Just as Admiral Innsmouth took in the view, his priority communication unit beeped. A message from AvCom?
    I Hope You Have A Nice Day :]
    Arenado
    • Some Random Guy
    • Comfortably Numb
    • Citizen
    • Pronouns
      Any/All or They/Them
      Familial House
      Eske
      Wintreath Nation
    Ashton Mercer
  • Former Citizen
  • icy hot
  • High above Satyrion IV. Galactic coordinates: <-25, 8>

The blue-green planet loomed in front of of the Exodite Wanderer-class Lockhead, slowly approaching the silver-grey ship. Ensign Keb Diden, a young rookie of the Admiralty caste, looked out the reinforced crystal windshield.
    "Wow..." he muttered involuntarily at the awe-inspiring view. The world was a promising one to scout out, but nobody told him how beautiful it would be from above. This world, with it's oxygen, it's apparently backwards inhabitants, and unique genetic codes would be invaluable to the Exodite Fleet should the Army Scouts recommend an invasion. Admiral Fet Cehil had ordered an expedition be sent out, and Ensign Keb was among those selected to participate.
    The Pilot of the ship, a older woman named Eja Sijed, looked at him and smiled. "The view never gets old, does it?"
    Keb reddened slightly and looked away, taking a sip of his nutrition slurry. "Never does." His smile faded and he felt a pang of jealousy as he watched the woman expertly guide the ship with her hands on the controls. The Test put him square in the within the parameters for the Admiralty and he did his training dutifully as such, but his heart was with the Combat Pilots. The way they guide the silver ships of the Fleet across the inky black of space, dashing through the puffy white clouds of foreign worlds, expertly maneuvering the craft as though it was a white bird... It must be what being in heaven is like. He wished the Admiralty would let him join Pilot training proper.

"Ensign Diden," the loud and commanding voice of Lieutenant Sih Ledif snapped Keb from his daydreaming. Sih was an older and experienced man, the no-nonsense leader of the Scouting expedition. "Quit mucking around. It's time for the Invocation, and you're expected to be there."
    "Oh, actually, sir..." Eja interjected, uncliping herself from the Pilot seat, "I haven't attended an Invocation in ages, and I would like to do so now. I felt my psychic connection to the Great Other lessening suddenly yesterday, and I would like to repair it."
    Lieutenant Ledif folded his upperarms and grunted. "The invocation could take hours, Pilot Sijed. Who will control the Lockhead until you get back?"
    She paused, then looked back at the young Ensign. "Perhaps Ensign Diden could take over for a bit, sir? Rumor has it that he aced orbital flight training." Keb's ears perked up and his eyes widened with barely-contained as he tried to shoot a betrayed look at Eja.
    Ledif unfolded his arms, curious. "This is true, and his marks were perfect... Ensign Diden?"
    "Y-yes, sir?"
    "Would you be comfortable piloting this vessel until the Invocation is over? All you would have to do is maneuver it into a proper orbit for descent."
    "I... I..." Keb snapped out of it. "Aye, sir!"
    "I trust that you can handle both your weapons system responsibilities and the maneuvering." Ensign Diden's primary responsibility was command of the laser weapons systems aboard the Lockhead.
    "Yes, sir. I won't let you down."
    "Very well. Be careful with the ship. If anything at all goes wrong, call me immediately."
    "Of course, sir!" Eja followed Lt. Ledif as he left, and shot a cheeky grin at the nervous Ensign. Keb stuck his tongue out (a very rude gesture in Damli culture) and turned away, but his wide smile displayed his true emotions.

As soon as the Pilot and the Second Lieutenant left, Ensign Keb Diden strapped himself into the Pilot's seat. In front of him were the four joysticks and myriad minor controls of the spacecraft, the green phosphorescent display reading out every detail of the Lockhead and her operations, and the window showing the blue planet surrounded by a star-studded void. His flight indicator showed that a maneuver would be needed soon to avoid being thrown off course by some natural satellite. Stretching out his four arms, he took hold of the joysticks and breathed deeply. His shaking hands calmed, and his eyes focused.
    "I am a leaf on the wind..." Keb said quietly, repeating an old folk saying of pilots that he heard somewhere, "Watch how I soar..."
    Ashton Mercer
    • icy hot
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Wintreath Nation
    Aragonn
  • Citizen
  • Aesir Warrior
  • Ambassador Ulfír
    Scientific Imperial Fleet Observation Task Force
    Sector (-17, 18)

"I appreciate your concern, but I am more than capable of managing for this occasion. It pleases me to know that I may rest and eat in comfort though.

"I believe I will now spend some time in the mess hall to interact with crew members and taste your cuisine. Is this alright with you?"

Sector (-25, 8 )

An Aesir destroyer exited hyperspace on the outskirts of a local star system. The patrol vessel was there to run routine scans of the system, known to be home to a race of primitives. If they found nothing, per usual, they would continue on their way.

"Captain," the Odinblessed helmsman reported, "I'm detecting a vessel within the system."

"What origin?" asked the Captain, her voice holding the sound of power greater than any other patrolling captain.

"Unknown, Ma'am."

"The vessel appears small and lightly armed," reported the tactical officer. "I suggest further investigation."

"What is the location of this vessel?"

"It's in orbit over the planet inhabited by primitives," informed the helmsman.

"Move our ship into orbit alongside the alien vessel."

"Aye, Ma'am." Working the controls, the helmsman set a course to come alongside the alien vessel.

The ship soon came within visual range of the alien scout ship.

"Hail them," ordered the captain. With the hail sent, the captain spoke her first contact words of choice. "This is Captain Gærn of the Aesir Destroyer AFS Volklang. Please state who you are and why you are here."
    « Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 07:37:58 PM by Aragonn »
    Jarl Aragonn
    The Aesir Empire

Aragonn
    • Aesir Warrior
    • To sit back hoping that someday, some way, someone will make things right is to go on feeding the crocodile, hoping he will eat you last - but eat you he will.
    • Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    Ashton Mercer
  • Former Citizen
  • icy hot
  • Ensign Diden froze in his tracks. He couldn't quite believe what he was seeing: an unknown ship three to five times larger than their own Wanderer-class now appeared in front of him. He kept receiving an unintelligible radio transmission, apparently a signal in their language. Aiming the radio transmitter at the ship, Keb sent a reply in his own language.
    "This is the Wanderer-class scout ship Lockhead", he said slowly and clearly. "You are interfering with our mission and with the will of the Exodite Fleet. Remove yourself from our orbital path, or be destr- erm, or there will be consequences!"
    Suddenly, all the officers who had departed to attend the Invocation, even the head Occultist, burst into the bridge, fully suited. Eja heard Keb's transmission on her radio, and alerted the rest of the crew.
    "What is going on- Shit!"
    "Battle stations!"
    "Suit up now! All units, suit up!"
    Lieutenant Ledif ran into the room. "Ensign Keb, get ready for battle!"
    Ensign Keb detached himself from the Pilot seat and let Eja, now wearing her Combat Pilot suit, take over her controls. Immediately, the small ship turned to face the unknown destroyer, sending unsecured items (and unsecured Damli) flying. Keb hit his head hard on the mistarillium wall of the ship while he was putting on his combat spacesuit, scratching his plexiglass helmet and causing him to see stars briefly. On the bridge, however, the chaos was settling.
    "Major Weapons Officer: missiles ready!"
    "Engineer units one through five, on standby."
    "Marines ready!"
    "Army units in defensive positions!"
    "Railguns ready!"
    Keb returned to the bridge and strapped himself into his seat at the laser weapons command system. The screens glowed green and red as they focused on the enemy ship.
    "All lasers ready, sir!"
    "Awaiting orders, Lieutenant."

Finally, the bridge was silent. Lieutenant Sih Ledif approached the communications hub. The blue display screen cast a glow on the front of his pressure helmet. First, he activated the internal intercom.
    "Keb, order your units to use their target designators to beam the numerical message to the UFO."
    "Aye sir." Protocol officially dictated that they had to give a signal of intelligence to an unknown spaceship before sending a message. The radio signal was beamed at the Aesir destroyer, the first five prime numbers:

<2,3,5,7,11>

Then, he switched to external communications. He spoke in his own language. "This is Lieutenant Sih Ledif, commander of the Wanderer-class Scout Vessel Lockhead. We are on a mission to expand the knowledge and control of the Exodite Dominion. What are you, and what is your purpose near this planet?"
    Ensign Keb turned towards the Lieutenant. "Sir, permission to speak?"
    "Go ahead."
    "They might not understand us. Their first radio transmission was almost gibberish, sir. We should try the Reconstructed Outsider Language."
    "Let's wait and see. If we don't get a satisfactory response, we can try that."
    All eyes, ears, and guns were focused on the mysterious ship.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 03:18:52 PM by Aragonn »
    Ashton Mercer
    • icy hot
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Wintreath Nation
    Aragonn
  • Citizen
  • Aesir Warrior
  • Captain Gærn
    AFS Volklang
    Sector (-25, 8 )

"They're responding."

"Play it," ordered the captain. The message came out unintelligible, a language none of them knew. "Run it through the translation matrix and play it again."

After a moment, the message was played again in the Aesir language.

"This is the Wanderer-class scout ship Lockhead. You are interfering with our mission and with the will of the Exodite Fleet. Remove yourself from our orbital path, or be (garbled noise) or there will be consequences!"

"Nobody threatens my ship and gets away with it. What language was it identified as?"

"The language of a race of primitives called Damli, Ma'am."

"Explains their lack of experience in first contact situations," the captain remarked.

"They've turned to face us and are powering weapons," noted the tactical officer.

"Raise shields and power weapons. Comm, I want any and all transmissions from that vessel intercepted. I don't want any unwelcome guests. And inform the Lieutenant Kommander of our situation."

"Ma'am, they just sent a numerical signal. Two, three, five, seven, one, one...the last two ones appear to be grouped together. They're the first five prime numbers, Ma'am."

"They may not be capable of calculating their odds against us, but at least they know basic math..."

"Another transmission."

"Translate then play it."

After a moment, "This is Lieutenant Sih Ledif, commander of the Wanderer-class Scout Vessel Lockhead. We are on a mission to expand the knowledge and control of the Exodite Dominion. What are you, and what is your purpose near this planet?"

Gærn tilted her head. "It would appear they cannot understand our our language. Very well. Comm, prepare to record a video and send it to the Damli, or Exodite, vessel."

The communications officer touched a few controls then looked up at the Captain. "Ready to begin recording."

Gærn took off her power armor helmet and set it to the side then looked directly ahead of her where the video would be captured from.

"Now," she ordered and the comm officer touched a control. "This is Captain Gærn of the Aesir destroyer AFS Volklang. I am on a patrol route and your vessel appeared on our scanners. We came to investigate this occurrence. Stand down or prepare to be destroyed. This is your only warning." She then looked at the comm officer and nodded to signal ending the recording.

"Recording complete."

"Run it through the translation matrix and overlap the translation on top of my voice but make it intelligible for both sides then send it."

"Yes, Ma'am." The officer worked his controls for a couple minutes. "Message sent."

"Now let's hope we don't have to start a war here..."
    « Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 03:38:52 AM by Aragonn »
    Jarl Aragonn
    The Aesir Empire

Aragonn
    • Aesir Warrior
    • Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    Ashton Mercer
  • Former Citizen
  • icy hot
  • Wanderer-class Lockhead
    Sector (-25, 8 )

After a long silence, one of the communications officers spoke. "We've just received a transmission sir, but..."
    "Go on ahead. What did it say?"
    "It's a digital audio-video message. We need some time to decode it properly."
    "Very well then, hurry up."

Some time passed. Neither ship moved relative to each other, but both of them continued their parabolic descent towards the planet below them.
    "Sir," The pilot said cautiously, "we're going to have to either fire our engines or enter hyperdrive soon."
    The lieutenant folded his hands. "I know."
    More time passed. The pilot tapped her many fingers on the controls impatiently. The hands of the weapons officers trembled slightly, waiting breathlessly for the command. The planet was closer, taking up most of the window now (along with the UFO).
    "Sir, this is do or die. I need to know what to do now."
    "You have five minutes to make a maneuver. I can read your computer, you know."
    She shook her head. "Five minutes is a generous estimate, and doesn't take into account that we have to make a good landing."
    The lieutenant twitched. "What's the status on the decryption?"
    The communications ensign didn't look up from his screen. "Finishing touches, sir. Just need to align the visual field, and... there. Done."
    "Good. Play it now."

An unknown, very lizard-like animal in some kind of power armor appeared on the screen. The creature's lips moved as they pronounced alien words, but a computerized voice speaking the Damli language was heard.
    <"This is Captain Gærn of the Aesir destroyer AFS Volklang. I am on a patrol route and your vessel appeared on our scanners. We came to investigate this occurrence. Stand down or prepare to be destroyed. This is your only warning.">

The lieutenant stared at the screen, even once it went black. "They know our language," he muttered to himself in disbelief. "How?"
    The pilot interjected. "Sir, I need an order now or I'm putting us into hyperspace."
    "All weapons, disengage," the lieutenant ordered, "but keep the target locked on." The electric whistling of lasers and railguns powering down sounded through the cabin. Outside, glowing lasers turned dim and wavered against the side of the vessel.
    "Pilot, prepare our course for a rough atmospheric entry. The scouting mission will continue. As soon as I send a message to the UFO, be ready to fire the engines."
    "Aye sir. I'll do my best, but be quick."
    "Communications, ready a transmitter for me."
    The ensign clicked several buttons, causing lights to blink on and off on his display. "Transmitter ready, sir. Begin recording... Now."
    "We are respecting your wishes for peace by temporarily deactivating our external weapons. However, in duty to our species, we must continue our mission to the surface of this planet. Attempt to interfere, and we will be forced to react with violence." As soon as the lieutenant stopped talking, the message was beamed at the ship.
    "Message sent, sir!"
    He nodded and turned to the pilot. "Now, Eja!" She pulled down on the controls and shifted her body backwards.

The ship shuddered as a jet of blue green fire was breathed out from the circular engines behind it. The Aesir ship gave the illusion of accelerating away, as the Wanderer-class began it's descent.
    « Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 02:21:21 PM by Ashton Mercer »
    Ashton Mercer
    • icy hot
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Wintreath Nation
    BraveSirRobin
  • My Dear Jean-Luc!
  • Communications Records
    IRW Venator Stellarum
    Avon, Avonite Enclave

Subcommander Semal recoiled in shock as the Avonite cruisers came from the back side of the planet into sensor range.  He hailed the captain on an encrypted channel.  "Captain, we are having to modify plans slightly.  We are going to attempt a low-level tactical extraction of you and your security contingent.  Our current plan has been, blocked, for the time being.  Semal out."

He turned to the bridge and opened a ship-wide channel, "Attention Venator Stellarum crew.  This is acting commander Semal.  Prepare for atmospheric decent.  Weapons stations, launch 50 cloaked mines.  10 at each cruiser.  Don't worry about giving them any sort of movement commands.  The interdiction fields will do that on their own.  And ensure the mines are maximum yield, too.  We don't want them capable of following us, and I'm not entirely sure how much power Avonite interdiction fields draw from their power grids." 

He watched as the green engines of the Tavara warmed up, just as the cloaked mines were about halfway to the Avonite ships...

"Engage engines full sublight.  If the mines don't take care of them they'd be fools to follow us into the atmosphere with their gravity fields on.  I can only assume they want their planet intact..."  he grinned.  The hunt has begun.
    Sir Robin of Camelot

"Whilst the men of Caenia were scattered far and wide, pillaging and destroying, Romulus came upon them with an army, and after a brief encounter taught them that anger is futile without strength."  -Titus Livius, Ab Urbe Condita

(Ravenclaw is the best!)

Résumé/A History of Robin on NationStates
    Wintreath:
    Citizen: 4 June 2015 - present
    Member of the Hvitt Riddaral: 21 August 2015 - present
    Strifa of the 12th Underhusen: 8 October 2015 - 13 December 2015
    Speaker Pro Tem of the 13th Underhusen: 13 December 2015 - 8 February 2016
    Speaker Pro Tem of the 14th Underhusen: 8 February 2016 - 8 April 2016
    Speaker of the 16th Underhusen: 10 June 2016 - 11 August 2016
    Ambassador to Europeia: 5 December 2016 - present
    RP Guild Councillor: 23 February 2017 - present
    Ambassador to The North Pacific: 11 March 2017 - present
    Speaker of the 21st Underhusen: 10 April 2017 - 10 June 2017
    Delegate of Wintreath: 10 June 2017 - 15 March 2020
    Strifa of the 23rd Underhusen: 10 August 2017 - 10 November 2017
    Thane of Ambassadors: 10 October 2018 - 10 December 2018
    Commendation of Wintreath: Sept 24 2020

New Hyperion:
    Citizen: 27 November 2015 - present
    Patrician: 12 January 2016 - present
    Lord of Development: 5 February 2016 - present

(I stole this format from tau, but who am I not to copy a great system? :-) )

Ne Crustumini quidem atque Antemnates pro ardore iraque Caeninensium satis se impigre movent; ita per se ipsum nomen Caeninum in agrum Romanum impetum facit. Sed effuse vastantibus fit obvius cum exercitu Romulus levique certamine docet vanam sine viribus iram esse.
    BraveSirRobin
    • My Dear Jean-Luc!
    • We Meet Again, Mon Capitaine!!
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Wintreath Nation
    Aragonn
  • Citizen
  • Aesir Warrior
  • Captain Gærn
    AFS Volklang
    Sector (-25, 8 )

"They've powered down their weapons."

"We're receiving another message. This one is video."

"The alien vessel is entering the atmosphere."

Gærn looked to her helmsman first. "Keep us in orbit over their location. Let me know where they land." She then looked to her tactical officer. "Keep weapons and shields powered. If more show up, we will fight our way out." Finally, she turned to her comm officer. "Run the audio through the translation matrix then overlap the translation onto the video and play it."

The three officers worked their stations, and the tasks were performed. The ship maintained orbit above the Exodite vessel, and the message was successfully translated.

"We are respecting your wishes for peace by temporarily deactivating our external weapons. However, in duty to our species, we must continue our mission to the surface of this planet. Attempt to interfere, and we will be forced to react with violence."

"The officer's body does match the appearance of the Damli," remarked the tactical officer. "However, the Damli were last observed to being without computers. Though the observation was made over a thousand years ago.."

"Makes me wonder what they're doing with a starship..." The Captain was silent for a moment, thinking about her options. "Load two Valkyries with tactical Drekrekkr and a third with Sækjar and Einherjar split evenly. I'll be joining this landing, so leave room for me in the first Valkyrie."

"Yes, Ma'am."

"Inform me of the moment they land. I need to know where they'll be conducting this mission of theirs."
    Jarl Aragonn
    The Aesir Empire

Aragonn
    • Aesir Warrior
    • Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    Ashton Mercer
  • Former Citizen
  • icy hot
  • The surface of Satryon IV,
    Sector (-25, 8 )

Thanks to the skills of the Pilot Eja, the diligence of the Flight Engineers, and a large amount of sheer luck, the Wanderer-class Dropship Lockhead made it's landing from the steep orbital path. According to the Fleet Engineers and Marines who kept rushing in and out of the ship in their space suits, the hull only sustained minor damage. Of more concern were the several trees that the white-hot lander had lit on fire in the chaos of the orbital descent, but these were eventually stopped as well when the last flames were extinguished with chemical fire retardants.

Ensign Keb Diden didn't take this turn of events well. He ended up doing nothing but exactly what his training required and being aware of only what he needed to be. Constantly, he scanned the surrounding skies for targets to order his Lesser Weapons Officers to engage. Birds, odd clouds of water vapor or plumes of smoke, the occasional rustling of bushes; it all fell under Keb's watchful eye until even the zealous LWOs began to get annoyed with him. Finally, after hours of this, a LWO complained to his Section Leader that Keb was being unreasonable, and he was permitted to take a break and leave the ship.

Light poured outside onto green grass as the door to the Lockhead opened. Ensign Keb walked into the darkness, led by a bright chest-mounted flashlight. The ship hand landed in what might be a seasonal river bed: now, it was a short grassland strewn with sandy patches and large stones. The flat expanse was flanked by dark, thick forest on all sides. In the distance, he saw a bonfire and some lights indicative of Exodite technology and decided to approach. Around the fire were about a dozen Soldiers from the Army. As a general rule, unless you were a Marine, most members of the Fleet (and especially Admiralty) don't tend to fraternize with those from the Army. Keb was not most Admiralty. When he was bored, he liked to eat with the Soldiers and hear what their stories and experiences. Somehow they seemed to be more insightful (or at least more entertaining) than the usual bland talk of the Fleet personnel.
    "Ensign Keb," said a older Soldier who recognized him, "Welcome, sir! You know you can take off your helmet, right?"
    Keb nodded silently, vaguely remembering that the toxicology report that the elderly Occultist had given soon after landing had apparently demonstrated "prime habitability". He took off his helmet and breathed in. The air was crisp and tart, and although he could smell the wood fire and cooking meat nearby, the air was insanely clear.
    "Heard you made first contact, Diden."
    Keb sat down on a log, a ways away from the fire. They were cooking some kind of  horned and hoofed quadruped on a spit. They must have been out hunting earlier. All the soldiers were looking at him. "Yeah, I guess that's true, in a way."
    "You don't seem impressed. Hell you almost seem scared." The Soldier must have noticed that Keb was pale and shaking.
    "..."
    "Come on, are you really that terrified of them? Their just aliens. That ship was big, yeah, but we have tens of thousands of ships that are way bigger. How weak are you?"
    "Hod, shut up." The older Soldier barked. "Leave him alone."
    "I just don't understand why he's so scared of a lizard-"
    "I know you don't fucking get it," Keb suddenly snapped. "So let me spell it out for you."
    He stood up and turned around, facing the stars. "Before about eight hours ago, we ruled the universe. In nearly a millennium of space flight, we encountered exactly one species that surpassed us, and we annihilated them on the field of battle ages ago. That reality is gone now. Yes, we trained for this moment. Yes, we studied and theorized about this. But nothing, no brilliance of mind, no advanced technology, no religion could have prepared us for this. We found life that was completely, utterly foreign, yet instead of being primitive, they had technology just like us, if not better. They knew our language, Hod. This mission and the few sentences the Lieutenant and I said to those 'lizards' could herald our greatest victory, but more likely it's the beginning of our extinction. Their mere existence is probably, without exaggeration, the worst thing to happen to the Damli. Ever."

The Soldiers around the bonfire were silent. The spectacle of stars above them now seemed oddly hostile, like the alien constellations suddenly were empowered to fall down and kill them all at any moment. Ensign Keb shook his head and put back on his helmet. "I'm going back to the ship. Enjoy your... Whatever animal it is you killed." He grinned. "Save it for the Raid next time. Their food stores have to go somewhere, don't they? It would be a shame to have to torch it all." The soldiers laughed and returned to talking and feasting as the lone Ensign returned to the Lockhead.
    1 person likes this post: taulover
    Ashton Mercer
    • icy hot
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Wintreath Nation

Pages: 1 ... 13 [14] 15 ... 21