Pages: 1 ... 58 [59] 60 ... 109

From the Ashes: A Galactic Nations RP! (OOC)

Arenado
  • Citizen
  • Some Random Guy
  • About 750 heavily armed militant Ascencionists.
      Ehh I believe that those could be taken care of with the contingents of Naval Infantry and Tal Shiar SpecOps Soldiers on a Tavara-class Battlecruiser, especially with the support of the battlecruiser's main armament at point-blank range.  Thoughts?

If your people can get down onto Avon in less than 10 minutes or if your Cruiser can destroy the Attackers who are already inside AvCom and under cover of a Cruiser hull meant to take direct hits like that, then go ahead.
      It's a wreck but it still has shields?

No, the shields are down. The hull, on the other hand, is still active.

Incidentally, if a Pendelton-Class Cruiser went toe to toe with your battlecruiser, who do you think would win?

Also, the attack is in the hull and in AvCom.
    I Hope You Have A Nice Day :]
    Arenado
    • Some Random Guy
    • Comfortably Numb
    • Citizen
    • Pronouns
      Any/All or They/Them
      Familial House
      Eske
      Wintreath Nation
    Aragonn
  • Citizen
  • Aesir Warrior
  • What do you mean by "the hull is still active"? Are batteries still operational? Because without a reactor to charge them, you'd be relying on the capacitors to power the weapons in which case each gun would only get one shot. Also, there's nothing stated in your factbook about hull strength, no thickness nor composition. It only states that it's armed to the teeth. Which doesn't help it here since it's already been shot and crashed.

I should also point out that plasma weapons are armor penetrating weapons. The hull won't last long without shields against a barrage of Romulan ship weapons. The hull won't last long against any ship weapons without shields.
    Jarl Aragonn
    The Aesir Empire

Aragonn
    • Aesir Warrior
    • To sit back hoping that someday, some way, someone will make things right is to go on feeding the crocodile, hoping he will eat you last - but eat you he will.
    • Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    BraveSirRobin
  • Regional Stability Squad
  • My Dear Jean-Luc!
  • No, the shields are down. The hull, on the other hand, is still active.

Incidentally, if a Pendelton-Class Cruiser went toe to toe with your battlecruiser, who do you think would win?

Also, the attack is in the hull and in AvCom.
      What is it's crew complement/what is it rough equivilent in Star Wars?  Also, assuming it didn't crash on accident, it was probably pretty bloodied-up before it crashed, so I'd assume that there are already ample hull breaches and the reactor core has either been destroyed in the crash or salvaged. 
    Sir Robin of Camelot

"Whilst the men of Caenia were scattered far and wide, pillaging and destroying, Romulus came upon them with an army, and after a brief encounter taught them that anger is futile without strength."  -Titus Livius, Ab Urbe Condita

(Ravenclaw is the best!)

Résumé/A History of Robin on NationStates
    Wintreath:
    Citizen: 4 June 2015 - present
    Member of the Hvitt Riddaral: 21 August 2015 - present
    Strifa of the 12th Underhusen: 8 October 2015 - 13 December 2015
    Speaker Pro Tem of the 13th Underhusen: 13 December 2015 - 8 February 2016
    Speaker Pro Tem of the 14th Underhusen: 8 February 2016 - 8 April 2016
    Speaker of the 16th Underhusen: 10 June 2016 - 11 August 2016
    Ambassador to Europeia: 5 December 2016 - present
    RP Guild Councillor: 23 February 2017 - present
    Ambassador to The North Pacific: 11 March 2017 - present
    Speaker of the 21st Underhusen: 10 April 2017 - 10 June 2017
    Delegate of Wintreath: 10 June 2017 - 15 March 2020
    Strifa of the 23rd Underhusen: 10 August 2017 - 10 November 2017
    Thane of Ambassadors: 10 October 2018 - 10 December 2018
    Commendation of Wintreath: Sept 24 2020

New Hyperion:
    Citizen: 27 November 2015 - present
    Patrician: 12 January 2016 - present
    Lord of Development: 5 February 2016 - present

(I stole this format from tau, but who am I not to copy a great system? :-) )

Ne Crustumini quidem atque Antemnates pro ardore iraque Caeninensium satis se impigre movent; ita per se ipsum nomen Caeninum in agrum Romanum impetum facit. Sed effuse vastantibus fit obvius cum exercitu Romulus levique certamine docet vanam sine viribus iram esse.
    BraveSirRobin
    • My Dear Jean-Luc!
    • We Meet Again, Mon Capitaine!!
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      The Noble House of Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    Aragonn
  • Citizen
  • Aesir Warrior
  • Never mind this post. I had just misread something. :-[
    « Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 04:49:12 PM by Aragonn »
    Jarl Aragonn
    The Aesir Empire

Aragonn
    • Aesir Warrior
    • To sit back hoping that someday, some way, someone will make things right is to go on feeding the crocodile, hoping he will eat you last - but eat you he will.
    • Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    Arenado
  • Citizen
  • Some Random Guy
  • What do you mean by "the hull is still active"? Are batteries still operational? Because without a reactor to charge them, you'd be relying on the capacitors to power the weapons in which case each gun would only get one shot. Also, there's nothing stated in your factbook about hull strength, no thickness nor composition. It only states that it's armed to the teeth. Which doesn't help it here since it's already been shot and crashed.

I should also point out that plasma weapons are armor penetrating weapons. The hull won't last long without shields against a barrage of Romulan ship weapons. The hull won't last long against any ship weapons without shields.

Allow me to rephrase. The hull of a Pendleton-class Cruiser is still the hull of a Pendleton-class Cruiser. There would be some protection since Pendletons are designed to take direct hits from heat based weapons and reflect them. Yes, there would be damage to the hull but if that section survived the battle above Avon, re-entry and crashing into Industries Spirit then chances are that the hull would have some structural integrity. Would it reflect every hit? No. But there would be protection.

Last thing I want to note, Avonites view Avon as a holy planet. It's the only planet that the Conclave and the Shepards did not attack. I don't think that they would be OK with the romulans doing an orbital bombardment.
    Arenado
    • Some Random Guy
    • Comfortably Numb
    • Citizen
    • Pronouns
      Any/All or They/Them
      Familial House
      Eske
      Wintreath Nation
    Aragonn
  • Citizen
  • Aesir Warrior
  • First off, heat is not reflected. It's absorbed and dissipated. And for plasma, you need a hard material that can stay solid and remain structurally sound at extreme temperatures. Those are extremely difficult to produce. And with sustained plasma exposure, It's likely to still melt. And no, plasma cannot simply be deflected because it doesn't behave like a solid, so that plasma will stick to the hull until it cools and dissipates as a gas.

Second, being blasted out of the sky, surviving re-entry, and crashing into the ground does not guarantee structural stability. It's likely in pieces scattered across the crash zone. If it's not in pieces, the structural stability is going to be weak or almost nonexistent, so it wouldn't take much from a Romulan cruiser to make the thing collapse in on itself.

Another thing I should point out is that plasma weapons are pretty short range because the plasma is cooling the entire time it's flying through the air or the vacuum of space. It will cool into a gas and disperse. So any notion of using plasma to bombard a planet surface from orbit is absurd. The Romulan cruiser would need to enter the atmosphere and make low altitude strafing runs on the fallen Avonite cruiser. And as I've stated before, the crashed cruiser will not hold well against ship weapons.
    1 person likes this post: BraveSirRobin
    Jarl Aragonn
    The Aesir Empire

Aragonn
    • Aesir Warrior
    • Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    Arenado
  • Citizen
  • Some Random Guy
  • First off, heat is not reflected. It's absorbed and dissipated. And for plasma, you need a hard material that can stay solid and remain structurally sound at extreme temperatures. Those are extremely difficult to produce. And with sustained plasma exposure, It's likely to still melt. And no, plasma cannot simply be deflected because it doesn't behave like a solid, so that plasma will stick to the hull until it cools and dissipates as a gas.

Second, being blasted out of the sky, surviving re-entry, and crashing into the ground does not guarantee structural stability. It's likely in pieces scattered across the crash zone. If it's not in pieces, the structural stability is going to be weak or almost nonexistent, so it wouldn't take much from a Romulan cruiser to make the thing collapse in on itself.

Another thing I should point out is that plasma weapons are pretty short range because the plasma is cooling the entire time it's flying through the air or the vacuum of space. It will cool into a gas and disperse. So any notion of using plasma to bombard a planet surface from orbit is absurd. The Romulan cruiser would need to enter the atmosphere and make low altitude strafing runs on the fallen Avonite cruiser. And as I've stated before, the crashed cruiser will not hold well against ship weapons.

But you can reflect heat. Just type "reflect heat" into Google

Secity, Im not saying that the hull would provide absolute perfect cover, I'm saying that it would provide some cover. Not for terribly long, but something.

Last, if the Avonites are not cool with orbital bombardment I doubt that they would be a-ok with low altitude strafing runs. Plus, Industries Spirit is at war.  The entire city is covered in anti air ack ack guns.
    Arenado
    • Some Random Guy
    • Comfortably Numb
    • Citizen
    • Pronouns
      Any/All or They/Them
      Familial House
      Eske
      Wintreath Nation
    Aragonn
  • Citizen
  • Aesir Warrior
  • That deals with radiant heat like sunlight. Plasma is not sunlight. Plasma transfers heat through direct contact which cannot be deflected. Useful against lasers though.

That hull would be as useful against ship plasma weapons as butter against a hot knife because it's been shot, battered, and burned.

The Avonites are a-ok with ships raining from the sky and crashing all over the planet? But heaven forbid a ship makes a strafing run on a crashed ship! Because that would actually be terrible!
    Jarl Aragonn
    The Aesir Empire

Aragonn
    • Aesir Warrior
    • Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    Arenado
  • Citizen
  • Some Random Guy
  • That deals with radiant heat like sunlight. Plasma is not sunlight. Plasma transfers heat through direct contact which cannot be deflected. Useful against lasers though.

That hull would be as useful against ship plasma weapons as butter against a hot knife because it's been shot, battered, and burned.

The Avonites are a-ok with ships raining from the sky and crashing all over the planet? But heaven forbid a ship makes a strafing run on a crashed ship! Because that would actually be terrible!

No, the Avonites are not OK with wrecks raining down on Industries Spirit, they just don't know who's responsible. One half of the Avon Defensive Fleet opened fire on the other. They have no clue who's responsible and would be pretty pissed when they find out who did. They would know who led low orbit strafing runs on Avon in a Romulan battlecruiser.
    Arenado
    • Some Random Guy
    • Comfortably Numb
    • Citizen
    • Pronouns
      Any/All or They/Them
      Familial House
      Eske
      Wintreath Nation
    Aragonn
  • Citizen
  • Aesir Warrior
  • You have a point with that...

@BraveSirRobin How quickly can you land troops?
    Jarl Aragonn
    The Aesir Empire

Aragonn
    • Aesir Warrior
    • Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    BraveSirRobin
  • My Dear Jean-Luc!
  • The Tal Shiar SpecOps Troops (50) could probably land in fifteen minutes, the Naval Infantry (512) would probably take 30 minutes to land properly. 
    Sir Robin of Camelot

"Whilst the men of Caenia were scattered far and wide, pillaging and destroying, Romulus came upon them with an army, and after a brief encounter taught them that anger is futile without strength."  -Titus Livius, Ab Urbe Condita

(Ravenclaw is the best!)

Wintreath:

New Hyperion:

Ne Crustumini quidem atque Antemnates pro ardore iraque Caeninensium satis se impigre movent; ita per se ipsum nomen Caeninum in agrum Romanum impetum facit. Sed effuse vastantibus fit obvius cum exercitu Romulus levique certamine docet vanam sine viribus iram esse.
    BraveSirRobin
    • My Dear Jean-Luc!
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Wintreath Nation
    Arenado
  • Citizen
  • Some Random Guy
  • The Tal Shiar SpecOps Troops (50) could probably land in fifteen minutes, the Naval Infantry (512) would probably take 30 minutes to land properly.

I'm still curious though, if an active Pendleton-class Cruiser went to fight your battlecruiser, who would win?
    Arenado
    • Some Random Guy
    • Comfortably Numb
    • Citizen
    • Pronouns
      Any/All or They/Them
      Familial House
      Eske
      Wintreath Nation
    Aragonn
  • Citizen
  • Aesir Warrior
  • With a combination of stealth, multitudes of torpedo tubes and plasma weaponry, and teleporter technology, likely the Romulans. All you really have going for you is firepower and armor.
    Jarl Aragonn
    The Aesir Empire

Aragonn
    • Aesir Warrior
    • Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    BraveSirRobin
  • My Dear Jean-Luc!
  • "Misdirection is the key to survival."

-Romulan Military Maxim ;)
    Sir Robin of Camelot

(Ravenclaw is the best!)

Wintreath:

New Hyperion:

BraveSirRobin
    • My Dear Jean-Luc!
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Wintreath Nation
    BraveSirRobin
  • My Dear Jean-Luc!
  • And if things got bad for the Romulan cruiser, it'd probably just cloak and run away.  In a straight broadside-broadside battle, you're cruiser would totally win, but Romulan tactics are generally quite unconventional and very "dishonourable" if you'd ask the Aesir, I'm sure.  :P
    (Namely, decloaking and unleashing a full barrage without any warning.)
    Sir Robin of Camelot

(Ravenclaw is the best!)

Wintreath:

New Hyperion:

BraveSirRobin
    • My Dear Jean-Luc!
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Wintreath Nation

Pages: 1 ... 58 [59] 60 ... 109