Pages: [1] 2 ... 5

Murder On Mystery Street! (Game)

Arenado
  • Citizen
  • Some Random Guy
  • Ok, Detectives. Here's the case file. The body of local businessman and alleged criminal Jock MacPherson was discovered stabbed in the back inside his own warehouse. The murder weapon was found next to some trashcans behind the bookstore. It came from the local bar across the street. The coroner suspects that Jock was murdered between 5-8 P.M, thats our timeframe. We have confirmed that no one other than 7 people were in the area at that time. One of them is a killer and it is up to you to find out who.

The first thing you need to look at are the suspects and the victims.

Jock MacPherson (The Victim)
    A businessman with an ill reputation, Jock is known for loaning money to many people on Mystery Road. People call him an unpleasant and repugnant man, with rumours of criminal activities dogging his footsteps. Unfortunately we cannot confirm this for ourselves, as he is currently deceased. It is your job to find out who killed him.
    Paul Yew Tee (The Bookstore Owner)
    Owner of the local bookstore with an unreliable memory, Paul seems to be getting on in years. He isn’t that well known. The most interaction with others he has is when they visit his store to buy a book. Everything about him is drab, boring, and easily overlooked, from his grey sweater to his slow and droning speech. He was the one to find Jock’s body, and he is one of our suspects who owed Jock money. Could this mild-mannered bookworm be a killer?
    Alice Outram (The Bartender)
    The local barkeep, Alice is known for having a low tolerance for shenanigans in her domain. She's said to be friendly on a regular day, with a chipper attitude and a healthy amount of snark. Given that the murder weapon belongs to her bar, though, her attitude may be dampened. She is one of our suspects who owed Jock money. Could the bartender have served up an order of murder?
    Shirley Mountbatten (The Pharmacist)
    The pharmacist of the town, Shirley is well known friendly face in Mystery Street. She seems to always have a joke and a smile at the ready, such as puns around her name and claiming that her constantly present lab coat is “part of the uniform!” She is one of our suspects who owed Jock money. Can the friendly face hide a killer?
    Wesley Farrer (The Clerk)
    A laid-back shop clerk, Wesley is known for being “chill” and calling everyone his “bro.” This relaxed attitude carries across to even himself, it seems, what with his sweatshirt, unkept hair, and a tendency to nod instead of waste time mincing words. He is one of our suspects who owed Jock money. Does the chill attitude hide the face of a killer?
    Adam Rochor (The Homeowner)
    A local accountant, Adam is known for his near permanent frown etched across his features and the heavy bags under his eyes. He seems listless and drifting, unengaged with his job and even his wife, Sonia.  Has his boredom with life turned him into a killer?
    Walter Woodlands (The Drunk)
    Walter is an old drunk. He has shabby clothes, is always stinking of alcohol and slurring, and quite belligerent. It’s no wonder that he isn’t well liked in Mystery Street. He certainly doesn’t live there, but he is a frequent and barely tolerated presence around the premises. Has his belligerency turned to murder?
    Sonia Mattar (The Neighbourhood Watch)
    As the self-selected neighbourhood watch, Sonia is known for her paranoia and being a humourless busybody. She has recently begun to suffer from insomnia. Naturally, her response was to start stalking the streets when sleep escapes her. Paranoid busybody, indeed. But is she also a killer?

We've also created a map to help orientate you.
    The Murder Scene

Finally, we have the initial intervews from all the Suspects here. They are all still here, so if you want to ask a question go right ahead.
    Paul's Statement
    I spent most of my time at my bookstore. At 5 P.M, I was still there, taking stock. At 5.30, Jock came in and bought 3 books. While he was here, he was rather coarse and rude, yelling at me over some nonsense, I think it was about money. While that was happening, Shirley came in and bought 2 books, if I remember correctly. They both left at 5.40. I was in my store, counting books for an hour or so, I believe, when at about 6.30 there was some shouting behind my store. I could not make out the words or who was shouting but I did hear raised voices. After that, I looked out the front window, out towards the road, trying to see if anything was happening. I think I saw someone enter Shirley's Pharmacy but I cannot remember who it was exactly though I do know that it was about 6.55. I went back to my cashier to count my money when there was more ruckus behind my store, sounded like some banging my trashcans at 7.10. I would have looked out at who it was but I had to put my money away first and when I did I figured whoever it was was gone so I did not bother. Anyway, after I finished counting my money I left my store at 7.55 and went to Jock's Warehouse. The door was unlocked so I went in and found his body. God, that was terrible...
    Alice's Statement
    What was I doing at 5? I was breaking up a fight between those two idiots Jock and Walter. They were having a fight right in my bar. Walter was really getting the everlasting crap beat out of him but that tough old drunk kept getting up and swinging at Jock. I dont even know why the fight began. After 15 minutes, at 5.15, I managed to break it up anf threw them both out. At that point, since I was closing, Adam and Shirley left to. I locked the front door and had to clean up the mess Jock made with Walter. Anyway, I was cleaning up until 6.30 when I noticed my cerimonial dagger was missing! I usually left it up on the wall, near the door. I have no idea who could have taken it or when it was taken. At that point, I stepped outside for a cigarette to calm down while I figured what to do next. At 6.45 I saw that bitchy busybody, Sonia, walking around infront of the Warehouse going towards the bookstore. I did not want an earful from her so I went back into my bar. I stayed there, finishing up my work, when the police came at 8.
    Shirley's Statement
    Hello there! Where was I at 5? Umm, let me see, ah yes, I was at Alice's Bar. I dont normally go there but Adam wanted me to meet him there so I could give him his prescription and I aim to please. I went in and the most awful fight was going on! Jock and Walter were really going at it, Alice was trying to stop them and Adam was just watching them. I must confess, after I gave Adam his prescription, I became enthralled by the fight as well. They stopped at 5.15, at which point I left Adam and Alice alone in the bar. I started towards the bookstore but, when I was about to enter at 5.20, Sonia stopped me and asked me if she could buy some painkillers. Such things are prescription only, of course, and after 5 minutes of back and forth between us she left, frustrated, going towards the bar. I entered the bookstore, thinking nothing more of it. Inside was Jock, talking to Paul in hushed tones. They eyed me suspicously then kept on quietly talking to each other. I bought 2 books and left at 5.40 from the front door. I dawdled a bit, looking through my books, until I arrived at my Pharmacy at 6 P.M. I had to count all my stock and was doing that all the way until the police arrived at 8 P.M.
    Wesley's Statement
    What was that, bro? 5 P.M? Uhh, ah, I remember, man, I was in my shop talking to Sonia. She's really annoying, bro. She bought a soda and just kept talking for 15 minutes. I stopped listening and she left at 5.15. Anyway, bro, after that I sat at my counter reading a magazine when Jock came in at 5.50. He began yelling at me over some money I owed him but I kept telling him 'Bro, I can pay you back, man, just chill". He, uh, he did not chill. Anyway, after yelling at me a bunch he left at 6.25 from the back door. I heard him yelling somemore and then, at 6.35, Adam came in from the back door. He bought a bag of chips and, uhh, he felt real talkative, I guess, man. He, uhh, he talked for a while and left at 7.05 from the front. I dont even remember what he was saying, honest, bro. Anyway, after that at 7.10 there was a loud bang behind my store. I ran out to look, someone had knocked over one of Paul's trashcans. I saw someone run around the far end of the street, past Jock's Warehouse, but could not recognize them, man. Anway, I, uhh, went back to my counter. I stayed there until all your cops showed up, bro.
    Adam's Statement
    Ugh, this is a waste of time. I was at the bar at 5, ok? Jock and Walter began shouting at then punching each other. Alice was trying to break it up and I..I just watched. About 5 minutes in, Shirley poked me and gave me my prescription. I did not ever know she was there but I had asked her to meet me there. Anyway, after handing me my pills from that labcoat she always wears we both watched the fight until Alice broke it up. At that point, Shirley left and so did I. i went home, put the prescription on the coffe table, and rested a bit. At 6.20, I left. I felt peckish. I saw Sonia, my darling, doing her ridiculous 'patrol' so I went down the alley behind the bookstore to avoid her. As I came around the corner I bumped into Jock. He was rather upset and spent 5 minutes screaming at me to watch where I was going. After his little rant, I went inside Wesley's shop to buy a bag of chips. That was at 6.35, I believe. Anyway, Wesley and I had a little chat.... I left at 7.05, heading home. I got home and rested on my couch, eating my chips. Someone went running past my front window heading from the bar. I could not see who it was. Anyway, after I ate my chips, I noticed some sleeping pills next to my prescription, which was weird. Though I did hear Sonia sleeping upstairs, so I guess that was her. She almost never goes to sleep that early. Then the police arrived at 8.
    Walter's Statement
    Wadda want, copper? 5? Uhhhhhhhhhhhh, I was at the bar at 5. Jock got in my face, calling me a bum, so I showed him who was a bum! Gave him a right hook! But he gave me a few to, I guess. Anyway, at, like, 5.15, Alice threw us both out. Jock went his way, toward the bookstore, and I went beside the bar, away from that house. That Sonia lady always lectures me so I avoid it. I threw up then passed out, I think. The only thing I remember was being woken up at 6.55 by someone walking past me. Dont know who is was, only thing I remember is thinking that they must be cold. Anyway, that woke me up some so I began to get up. Took me a while but I finally got up and checked my watch. It was 7.30. I stumbled all the way to Wesley's shop. Bought a bag'a'chips and left. He's a good kid, that Wesley. Went back to the bar, where I was sleeping and passed out again. One of your cops woke me up at 8.
    Sonia's Statement
    I knew something like this would happen, I always knew it! Anyway, at 5 I was at Wesley's store. I felt a bit hungry from all my patrolling and bought a bag of chips. I, um, interviewd Wesley about any potential crime, then left at 5.15. I saw Alice throw out Jock and Walter from her bar at 5.15 from across the street. Then Shirley came out and she was going to the bookstore. I stopped her for 5 minutes to ask her about any potential crime. We parted ways at 5.25 when I headed towards the bar. The front door was wide open and no one was inside! That Alice always was so irresponsible. I guess she was upstairs in her home. Hell, that drunk Walter was sleeping beside the bar! I would have woken him up but you know how violent these drunks can get. That was at 5.30. I went home and made myself a sandwich to eat. Adam's prescription was not at home so I guessed that he had forgotten it, again. Well, when he has more constipation it will be his funeral! Anyway, I left at 5.40 and began another patrol. I did not see anyone, the whole street was deserted. After a while, at 7.05, I went home and, tired from all my hard work, went to sleep. Your policeman woke me up at 8.

That's all we got, detectives. It's now up to you. You need to sift through the lies, the half-truths and get to the truth. But remember, everyone on Mystery Street has a secret, everyone on Mystery Street is not telling you the full truth. Can you uncover all the secrets of Mystery Street? The case awaits...

Rules:
    All players are detectives trying to solve the murder.
    All suspects will lay out a statement at the start of the game.
    The detectives can ask any suspect a question as many times as they want.
    The detectives can each accuse a suspect of the murder whenever they wish. They may change their accusation anytime before the conclusion of the game. They must provide when the victim was killed, who killed them and why they were killed.
    Players will receive points for each correct accusation point.
    All suspects have a secret. Any detective who finds their secrets will receive bonus points.

@Wintermoot, @BraveSirRobin, @Syraj, @Red Mones, @Kane lives, @Hydra
    2 people like this post: Gerrick, El Fiji Grande
    « Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 12:30:39 PM by North »
    I Hope You Have A Nice Day :]
    Arenado
    • Some Random Guy
    • Comfortably Numb
    • Citizen
    • Pronouns
      Any/All or They/Them
      Familial House
      Eske
      Wintreath Nation
    Arenado
  • Citizen
  • Some Random Guy
  • I Hope You Have A Nice Day :]
    Arenado
    • Some Random Guy
    • Comfortably Numb
    • Citizen
    • Pronouns
      Any/All or They/Them
      Familial House
      Eske
      Wintreath Nation
    Syraj
  • Former Citizen
  • Just noting an inconsistency: Sonya said she bought a bag of chips, Whilst Wesley claims she bought soda between 5 and 5: 15.
    Résumé

Citizen: 23 June - Present,
    Wintreath's Finest July 2018,
    Speaker Pro Tempore of the 29th, 30th and 31st Underhusen,
    RP Guild Rank: Layman
    Ambassador to Hartfelden: 11 October -
    Present,
    Thane of Roleplay, December 2018 - Present.
    Syraj
    • I am totally not sleazy. My products are top quality.
    • Former Citizen
    • Familial House
      Kaizer
      Wintreath Nation
    Arenado
  • Citizen
  • Some Random Guy
    You need to sift through the lies, the half-truths and get to the truth. But remember, everyone on Mystery Street has a secret, everyone on Mystery Street is not telling you the full truth.
    Arenado
    • Some Random Guy
    • Comfortably Numb
    • Citizen
    • Pronouns
      Any/All or They/Them
      Familial House
      Eske
      Wintreath Nation
    Syraj
  • Former Citizen
    You need to sift through the lies, the half-truths and get to the truth. But remember, everyone on Mystery Street has a secret, everyone on Mystery Street is not telling you the full truth.
    Know that, just letting people know that there is something here.
    Résumé

Citizen: 23 June - Present,
    Wintreath's Finest July 2018,
    Speaker Pro Tempore of the 29th, 30th and 31st Underhusen,
    RP Guild Rank: Layman
    Ambassador to Hartfelden: 11 October -
    Present,
    Thane of Roleplay, December 2018 - Present.
    Syraj
    • I am totally not sleazy. My products are top quality.
    • Former Citizen
    • Familial House
      Kaizer
      Wintreath Nation
    Arenado
  • Citizen
  • Some Random Guy
  • So does anyone have any questions they wish to ask the suspects?
    Arenado
    • Some Random Guy
    • Comfortably Numb
    • Citizen
    • Pronouns
      Any/All or They/Them
      Familial House
      Eske
      Wintreath Nation
    BraveSirRobin
  • Regional Stability Squad
  • My Dear Jean-Luc!
  • "Indeed I shoud like to question ze victim!  Monsieur
    MacPherson 'as not provided a personal e'statement,
    and I wunt to know wuy!  I wud also leik a amburtsbur!"

*DISCLAIMER:  I couldn't help it!  Also I shall begin the real investigation tomorrow, and that shall be in a more conventional format, unless this test format proves popular (ie assuming people have seen Pink Panther) :P
    1 person likes this post: Imaginative Kane
    Sir Robin of Camelot

"Whilst the men of Caenia were scattered far and wide, pillaging and destroying, Romulus came upon them with an army, and after a brief encounter taught them that anger is futile without strength."  -Titus Livius, Ab Urbe Condita

(Ravenclaw is the best!)

Résumé/A History of Robin on NationStates
    Wintreath:
    Citizen: 4 June 2015 - present
    Member of the Hvitt Riddaral: 21 August 2015 - present
    Strifa of the 12th Underhusen: 8 October 2015 - 13 December 2015
    Speaker Pro Tem of the 13th Underhusen: 13 December 2015 - 8 February 2016
    Speaker Pro Tem of the 14th Underhusen: 8 February 2016 - 8 April 2016
    Speaker of the 16th Underhusen: 10 June 2016 - 11 August 2016
    Ambassador to Europeia: 5 December 2016 - present
    RP Guild Councillor: 23 February 2017 - present
    Ambassador to The North Pacific: 11 March 2017 - present
    Speaker of the 21st Underhusen: 10 April 2017 - 10 June 2017
    Delegate of Wintreath: 10 June 2017 - 15 March 2020
    Strifa of the 23rd Underhusen: 10 August 2017 - 10 November 2017
    Thane of Ambassadors: 10 October 2018 - 10 December 2018
    Commendation of Wintreath: Sept 24 2020

New Hyperion:
    Citizen: 27 November 2015 - present
    Patrician: 12 January 2016 - present
    Lord of Development: 5 February 2016 - present

(I stole this format from tau, but who am I not to copy a great system? :-) )

Ne Crustumini quidem atque Antemnates pro ardore iraque Caeninensium satis se impigre movent; ita per se ipsum nomen Caeninum in agrum Romanum impetum facit. Sed effuse vastantibus fit obvius cum exercitu Romulus levique certamine docet vanam sine viribus iram esse.
    BraveSirRobin
    • My Dear Jean-Luc!
    • We Meet Again, Mon Capitaine!!
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      The Noble House of Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    Arenado
  • Citizen
  • Some Random Guy
  • Are you asking why Jock has not provided a personal statement?

Oh wait. Pink Panther joke. Nevermind.
    1 person likes this post: BraveSirRobin
    « Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 05:24:51 AM by North »
    Arenado
    • Some Random Guy
    • Comfortably Numb
    • Citizen
    • Pronouns
      Any/All or They/Them
      Familial House
      Eske
      Wintreath Nation
    BraveSirRobin
  • My Dear Jean-Luc!
  • "Yus.  And I would also leik to question Sonia, specifically for
    her to bring forward her 'sleeping pills' that mysteriously 'appeared!"

Sir Robin of Camelot

"Whilst the men of Caenia were scattered far and wide, pillaging and destroying, Romulus came upon them with an army, and after a brief encounter taught them that anger is futile without strength."  -Titus Livius, Ab Urbe Condita

(Ravenclaw is the best!)

Wintreath:

New Hyperion:

Ne Crustumini quidem atque Antemnates pro ardore iraque Caeninensium satis se impigre movent; ita per se ipsum nomen Caeninum in agrum Romanum impetum facit. Sed effuse vastantibus fit obvius cum exercitu Romulus levique certamine docet vanam sine viribus iram esse.
    BraveSirRobin
    • My Dear Jean-Luc!
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Wintreath Nation
    Arenado
  • Citizen
  • Some Random Guy
  • Is that a real question? I'm somewhat confused now.
    Arenado
    • Some Random Guy
    • Comfortably Numb
    • Citizen
    • Pronouns
      Any/All or They/Them
      Familial House
      Eske
      Wintreath Nation
    Doc
  • Citizen
  • I'd like to ask:
     - Both Paul and Shirley what books Shirley bought - any inconsistencies might reveal something.
     - Are we certain the weapon used was the ceremonial dagger - does it match the wound, etc? Seems conceivable that someone might have simply used it to deflect attention.
     - Alice both 1) where she was between kicking everyone out of her bar, and finishing cleanup at 630, and 2) if she was sure she locked the door.
     - Walter why he thought the person walking past at 6.55 was 'cold'. Was he wearing a jacket or sweater? Was he shivering? Moreover, could Walter tell if it was a he or a she?
     - Shirley who it was that entered her Pharmacy at 6.55.
     - Wesley whether Walter really did buy a bag of chips at 7.35.
     - Adam whether Sonia has been using sleeping pills - and if not, where those pills came from.
     - Sonia how she managed to fall asleep in the early evening despite her insomnia - since it can't have been pills, since there's no way a policeman would have been able to wake her if she was drugged up.

And on a less serious note, how all of these people can be so precise with time!
    3 people like this post: Red Mones, Imaginative Kane, BraveSirRobin
    Proud Burner
    Doc
    • it's karma, man
    • Citizen
    • Wintreath Nation
    BraveSirRobin
  • My Dear Jean-Luc!
  • Is that a real question? I'm somewhat confused now.
    The first question was a joke, the other about Sonia's 'sleeping pills' was legitimate.
    Sir Robin of Camelot

(Ravenclaw is the best!)

Wintreath:

New Hyperion:

BraveSirRobin
    • My Dear Jean-Luc!
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Wintreath Nation
    Arenado
  • Citizen
  • Some Random Guy
  • Paul's Answer To Doc's Qustion
    What book Shirley bought? Huh, let me think... Oh yes, she got a magazine, Pharmacist Monthly, if I recall, and another book, what was it?... Ah, yes, some finace book, Money Matters: Stay In The Black, yes, that was it.
    Shirley's Answer to Doc's Question
    My my, detective, so personal a question? Let me see, I bought a copy of Pharmacist Monthly, like I always do, and a finace book, Money Matters: Stay In The Black, to help manage my pharmacy. And 6.55? You must be mistaken, no one entered my shop at that time, I'm certain of it.
    Coroner's response
    Yup, it most certainly was the dagger. Not only was it covered in the victims blood, the wound patterns are consistent.
    Alice's Answer to Doc's Question
    Where was I? Trying to seperate those two knuckleheads. All by myself, to, since no one else was helping me. Jock kept breaking free of me to go at Walter again. And where was I at 6.30? I was at my bar, pushing chairs in. And I did lock the door! I was inside the bar at that time, absolutely, and you cannot prove otherwise!
    Walter's Answer to Doc's Question
    Wha... I dont think so, I was barely awake......all I know was they had no jacket on.
    Wesley's Answer to Doc's Question
    He told you about that? The idiot. Damn it. Listen, bro, I swear, its just a little weed. I sell a little of it over the counter. Walter's my best customer. He bought a little to calm down, says it helps him go back to sleep. I swear, bro, its nothing major!
    Adam's Answer to Doc's Question
    Sonia? Hell, I barely know her anymore. I know she's had trouble sleeping lately. She got a precription for sleeping pills from a doctor months ago but those barely worked, she said, she kept waking up. She asked for stronger and stronger pills until that doctor cut her off, said she was growing addicted. Now she barely sleeps at all, which makes my life a breeze. And I dont know where those pills came from. Her prescription ended months ago and I never bought any.
    Sonia's Answer to Doc's Question
    I still sleep, even if its rare! And I have no idea where those pills came from. You cannot say where I got those pills!
    Sonia's Answer to Robin's Question
    I have no idea where those pills came from and you cannot say where those pills came from either! Why are you questioning me like a criminal, you cannot prove I did anything!
    Arenado
    • Some Random Guy
    • Comfortably Numb
    • Citizen
    • Pronouns
      Any/All or They/Them
      Familial House
      Eske
      Wintreath Nation
    Imaginative Kane
  • Citizen
  • Wintreath's Unofficial King of Command & Conquer Single Player and Skirmish vs Easy Opponents as any Faction and against any Faction
  • That is interesting that weed is being sold by Wesley.

I have a question for Wesley.

Is Walter the only suspect that buys weed from you?
    Peace through Power!!!
    One Vision, One Purpose!!!!!!!!!
    Oldies are goodies.
    Travel the world
    Orca.
    Meow

Let us not repeat the mistakes of history.

Now tell me.  What do you see?
    Imaginative Kane
    • Wintreath's Unofficial King of Command & Conquer Single Player and Skirmish vs Easy Opponents as any Faction and against any Faction
    • Young pessimistic technologically challenged somewhat ignorant animal and especially cat loving idiot.
    • Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His/It/Its/Their
      Familial House
      Burdock
      Wintreath Nation
    Arenado
  • Citizen
  • Some Random Guy
  • Walter's Answer to Kane's Question
    Yeah, Walter was the only one who bought from me who's a suspect. Though, frankly speaking, I think everyone knew, its one of the worst kept secrets on Mystery Street.
    Arenado
    • Some Random Guy
    • Comfortably Numb
    • Citizen
    • Pronouns
      Any/All or They/Them
      Familial House
      Eske
      Wintreath Nation

Pages: [1] 2 ... 5