Pages: [1] 2 ... 4

Wintreath Goes To The Darkest Dungeon! (The Story)

Arenado
  • Citizen
  • Some Random Guy
  • "Wintreath....

I remember Wintreath. My Family home, you know. The halls I used to roam, the kitchens I used to feast in, the bedrooms I used to fornicate in. My home. I remember Wintreath, opulent and imperial. Now look at it!

The Wintreath Estate

It is a festering abomination! Monsters, brigands and worse infest my family seat! I have sworn to cleanse it all, to cut out the cancer that lurks these halls, these woods, my lands! And you will help me!"

The well dressed man turned and pointed toward Sir "Brave" Robin.

Brave Sir Robin

Robin raised an eyebrow. As a Crusader, he was a Warrior of Light, sworn to root out and destroy all those that oppose the light. This man that had brought him here was not a servant of the darkness but he most certainly was crazy. Wanting to come and live in the Wintreath Estate? Madness. But it was a perfect opportunity to feed his vice... thievery. He could not help himself. He took what he wanted when he wanted. At least here he could take whatever he pleased. Robin's mind wandered towards the abbey. It was boarded up and closed. A pity. He felt the compulsion to pray. Alas, it was impossible.

Robin's attention turned again, this time to his teammates. One was a highwayman that refused to share his name. A worthless robber, Robin thought. The Plague Doctor was what drew his attention....

Wintermoot

This place was fascinating! What a wonderful idea she had, coming here to study the Eldritch horrors that lived here! She checked her plague grenades one more time, just to make sure they were there. They were perfect against those monsters, she had become quite proficient at killing them. But the unholy monsters... they scared her. If she never saw one again it would be to soon. However, her thoughts were soon interrupted by the iron clad Crusader, Robin, talking to her. She barely heard his question. "Hello, whats your name?" the armored juggernaut asked. She stammered a bit and fumbled her reply. "Me? Uhh.... Moot. Wintermoot." He tilted his head, curious. "Wintermoot? Aren't you royalty?" She humbly nodded "Yes, in another land I am. But here and now, I'm just a plague doctor." Robin laughed. " Fair enough, I suppose. I'm curious, though, what do you think of our team? I'm trying to get a read on everyone." Winter turned and faced the others. There was the Highwayman. She tried to talk to him earlier but he had rebuffed her. She didn't even know his name. Then, there was the Vestal.

Sapphiron

Sapphiron stood alone with her book and her mace. The brigand stood alone, so did the lunatic that brought them here, he stood muttering to himself. The doctor and the crusader were talking to each other, not that it concerned her. She was reading a book about the estate. In the time it took to travel here she had become an expert in the Warrens, mastering travel and strategy in that place. She was about to flip the page when a voice in her head spoke to her. " Sapph.... Sapph..... serve the light...." It passed as quickly as it had come. The visions, the voices, the delusions... they came more often now...always talking about the light. She would have to get a grip on reality.... before this place turned her completely mad...

"ALRIGHT! So, with that out of the way, lets proceed!" The booming voice of their employer interrupted everyone's thoughts. "You four are going to explore the ruins! Fun! Lets go!" He turned and led the way up to the mangled ruins of the family house. Everyone followed, albeit....reluctantly..

The team entered the ruins, light in hand. Robin led the way, the nameless Highwayman behind, Wintermoot and her grenades behind him and Sapphiron the Vestal holding down the rear. Together, they began their first journey....

The Usual Suspects
    5 people like this post: Sapphiron, taulover, Gerrick, BraveSirRobin, Hydra
    « Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 12:49:03 PM by North »
    I Hope You Have A Nice Day :]
    Arenado
    • Some Random Guy
    • Comfortably Numb
    • Citizen
    • Pronouns
      Any/All or They/Them
      Familial House
      Eske
      Wintreath Nation
    Arenado
  • Citizen
  • Some Random Guy
  • I hope you enjoyed the first part! Please, feel free to give me criticism. The next part goes up tomorrow.
    Arenado
    • Some Random Guy
    • Comfortably Numb
    • Citizen
    • Pronouns
      Any/All or They/Them
      Familial House
      Eske
      Wintreath Nation
    Arenado
  • Citizen
  • Some Random Guy
  • THE FIRST FORAY

Moving forward...

They entered the dark room together, Robin leading the way. There was an altar to the light with lit candles, illuminating the room. Robin took a moment to mutter a quick prayer to himself then readied his sword. He could feel fear begin to creep into his mind, doubt and terror not far behind. It was hard to quash them but he had to push forward. The nameless Highwayman tapped his shoulder. "Lets go, warrior." Robin nodded, grateful that his helmet obscured his face.

Slowly making their way down the corridor, grasping the torch, scanning the corridor ahead. Robin was about to take another step forward when he heard a hissing sound behind him. He spun around, sword at the ready, to see... Sapphiron gesturing down the corridor with her mace. Robin squinted and made out the figure of three hostiles, two of those "Doom Cultists" and a "Cultist Priest". Robin nodded and scanned the situation. There was an opportunity....they were facing the other way, if Robin could get up behind them, he could surprise them! He made a fist with his hand, gestured at Wintermoot and made a tossing motion with his hand. Moot nodded and took out her plague grenade...

Surprise Attack!

"You can do this, you can do this...." Wintermoot tried to calm herself as she readied her arc. If she threw it just right, she could nail half of them. She cartwheeled, released the grenade, it flew straight and true, landing just short of the hostile group with a clang. They turned to face the sound, hissing, but it was to late. The grenade exploded in a puff of noxious gas, enveloping the Cultist priest. One of others came charging in before a lighting strike from Sapphiron's mace burned him to a crisp. Sapph smiled and hefted her mace. The final cultist roared and began to strike when his head went on a journey separate from his body courtesy of Robin's longsword. At that point, the haze around the priest dissipated. He began an incantation, targeting Robin, the words becoming louder and ominous when his head exploded. The nameless Highwayman tilted his head blowing the smoke away from his flintlock. He looked pleased with himself. Robin nodded, psyched up. " Ok, this is good! Not a single hit on us, team! Lets keep up the good work!"

The rest of the foray was much the same. A few encounters but generally all very well. There was one final room. At this point the nameless Highwayman was cradling a deep cut on his arm, Wintermoot's face mask was cracked from blunt force trauma and Robin was pretty sure his skull was cracked. But one final battle lay ahead....

As they entered the room, a crossbow bolt narrowly missed Sapphiron's face. Two skeleton crossbowmen and a pair of ax skeletons were ready for the team. The other crossbowman fired at Robin, this time finding his target and hitting him in his chest. The bolt failed to penetrate the armor but damn if it did not hurt. Wintermoot was the first to respond, charging forward screaming as she plunged her knife into the first axman's skull. He stumbled backwards while his partner took a swing at Sapphiron, glancing her and doing minimal damage. She retaliated, calling down a lighting bolt that charred and killed the first crossbowman that had just finished reloading. The first axman was about to attack when he was blown away by the Highwayman, laughing as he began to reload. The remaining crossbowman, having reloaded, fired again, striking Sapphiron in the arm. She screamed out in pain and grabbed at the bolt in her arm.

Sapphiron's attack

The crossbowman snarled, or whatever the skeletal version of snarling was, and began reloading when Robin, in one strike, crushed him to pieces.

Robin's attack

The final axman charged and landed a hit on Robin, slicing his arm and eliciting a scream of pain. Robin stumbled back, the axman moved to finish the job, ready to strike down Robin when Wintermoot latched onto its back and planted her knife directly into its neck, severing the link and ending its life. Or lack thereof. Robin nodded, out of breath, and whispered a thanks to Wintermoot.

Wintermoot's attack

The first expedition was over. They had successfully entered the ruins and succeeded in their mission with no losses, though they were battered. As they made their way back to the Hamlet there was only silence. Each had come close to death, each nursed wounds. Each realized that it would only get worse from here....

When they returned, their employer was in his usual insanely jovial spirit. "Your back! And are all alive to! Wonderful! I trust that you all are ok?" Completely overlooking the crossbow bolt in Sapph's arm, the cracked mask on Moot's face and the blood dripping down Robin's pants, along with another... foul smelling bodily fluid. "Good! Well, I have some good news! I managed to get the Abbey and the tavern open, so you all have a place to rest and recuperate! Aren't I great?" Robin's ears picked up at the mention of the Abbey. Finally, he could pray. The well dressed man continued. "And I have even more great news! We now have more heroes!" He gestured towards 2 figures behind him. One, a young and barbaric looking woman holding a giant axe and the other a grizzled looking brute with a blackjack and a large hound......
    3 people like this post: Sapphiron, HannahB, Gerrick
    « Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 03:51:13 PM by North »
    Arenado
    • Some Random Guy
    • Comfortably Numb
    • Citizen
    • Pronouns
      Any/All or They/Them
      Familial House
      Eske
      Wintreath Nation
    Arenado
  • Citizen
  • Some Random Guy
  • Second part is up. The next part will be up... at some point.
    Arenado
    • Some Random Guy
    • Comfortably Numb
    • Citizen
    • Pronouns
      Any/All or They/Them
      Familial House
      Eske
      Wintreath Nation
    Arenado
  • Citizen
  • Some Random Guy
  • The Hamlet

Their employer beckoned the two newcomers over,excitedly introducing them. "This is Gerrick, one of the finest lawmen and Houndmasters this side of the Wintrean Border! He smart and tough, a perfect companion! Speaking of.." He turned to Moot and in an over-the-top way whispered ".. I dont know what the name of his canine. You'll have to figure that out yourself."

Gerrick

Gerrick watched the madman go on. His attention was more focused on the injured party in front of him. Personally, he always had the ability to find his last gasp, always able to find his second wind on the cusp of death. It made sainthood hard. No matter, one day... one day he would be a saint..... he focused his mind on the task at hand. His trusty canine companion went up and started licking the plague doctors wounds. A look of panic took over her face as she considered the massive germ transfer taking place. Gerrick smiled though. Somehow that dog always made you better when he did that. The madman finished talking to no one in particular and introduced the woman beside him.

"This barbarian beauty is Yllia! Shes a Hellion from the Ara tribes. Don't mind the tattoos, shes perfectly harmless, I assure you! So long as you dont piss her off. Which is incredibly easy to do. But just ignore that and you'll be fine!

Yllia

Yllia watched as the lunatic began to introduce her. He was right about her being easily offended. She wanted to bite his throat out like she usually did. Some might call it a crazy compulsion, she called it tactics. The lunatic droned on, at least it was dark, she preferred the darkness. Quite the Nocturnal night owl, her mother had called her. Before Yilla had bit her mothers thumb off. In combat, she was Unyielding, never willing to give an inch to the enemy, always fighting to the bitter end. She was not without smarts, though. On the way here she had detoured to the Warrens and become quite an expert in that hell-hole before coming back here. The lunatic finally finished introducing her. She picked up her glaive and proceeded to the mission briefing.

Robin went off to pray, saying that it was necessary for his soul and the success of the mission. The nameless Highwayman had run out of powder for his flintlock and went to buy more from a nearby village. That left Yllia leading the group, Gerrick and his dog behind her, Wintermoot and her knife behind him and Sapphiron the Vestal holding down the rear. The group readied themselves as the proceeded back into the Ruins the next day....

The Second Expedition
    2 people like this post: BraveSirRobin, Gerrick
    « Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 12:04:13 AM by North »
    Arenado
    • Some Random Guy
    • Comfortably Numb
    • Citizen
    • Pronouns
      Any/All or They/Them
      Familial House
      Eske
      Wintreath Nation
    BraveSirRobin
  • Regional Stability Squad
  • My Dear Jean-Luc!
  • I love it! Most fun is my character's piety.  It's great because IRL I'm not too pious really :P
    Excellent job, North!! :)
    Sir Robin of Camelot

"Whilst the men of Caenia were scattered far and wide, pillaging and destroying, Romulus came upon them with an army, and after a brief encounter taught them that anger is futile without strength."  -Titus Livius, Ab Urbe Condita

(Ravenclaw is the best!)

Résumé/A History of Robin on NationStates
    Wintreath:
    Citizen: 4 June 2015 - present
    Member of the Hvitt Riddaral: 21 August 2015 - present
    Strifa of the 12th Underhusen: 8 October 2015 - 13 December 2015
    Speaker Pro Tem of the 13th Underhusen: 13 December 2015 - 8 February 2016
    Speaker Pro Tem of the 14th Underhusen: 8 February 2016 - 8 April 2016
    Speaker of the 16th Underhusen: 10 June 2016 - 11 August 2016
    Ambassador to Europeia: 5 December 2016 - present
    RP Guild Councillor: 23 February 2017 - present
    Ambassador to The North Pacific: 11 March 2017 - present
    Speaker of the 21st Underhusen: 10 April 2017 - 10 June 2017
    Delegate of Wintreath: 10 June 2017 - 15 March 2020
    Strifa of the 23rd Underhusen: 10 August 2017 - 10 November 2017
    Thane of Ambassadors: 10 October 2018 - 10 December 2018
    Commendation of Wintreath: Sept 24 2020

New Hyperion:
    Citizen: 27 November 2015 - present
    Patrician: 12 January 2016 - present
    Lord of Development: 5 February 2016 - present

(I stole this format from tau, but who am I not to copy a great system? :-) )

Ne Crustumini quidem atque Antemnates pro ardore iraque Caeninensium satis se impigre movent; ita per se ipsum nomen Caeninum in agrum Romanum impetum facit. Sed effuse vastantibus fit obvius cum exercitu Romulus levique certamine docet vanam sine viribus iram esse.
    BraveSirRobin
    • My Dear Jean-Luc!
    • We Meet Again, Mon Capitaine!!
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      The Noble House of Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    Wintermoot
  • The Greyscale Magi-Monk
  • Man, Wintreath has really gone to shit, hasn't it? Who let this happen? What happened to the money I was paying for maintenance on the buildings? v_v

Hehe...seriously though, this is awesome! It's a really exciting story, and you make it sound like a really fun game in generally. I can't wait see myself save my teammate's hides many times over in the future. ^.-
    2 people like this post: BraveSirRobin, Arenado

I went all the way to Cassadega to commune with the dead
    They said "You'd better look alive"
    Wintermoot
    • Weather: ❄️
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation
    Arenado
  • Citizen
  • Some Random Guy
  • Thanks, guys! I'll try to get up a new part later.
    Arenado
    • Some Random Guy
    • Comfortably Numb
    • Citizen
    • Pronouns
      Any/All or They/Them
      Familial House
      Eske
      Wintreath Nation
    BraveSirRobin
  • My Dear Jean-Luc!
  • Thanks, guys! I'll try to get up a new part later.
      Great!  Looking forward to it! :)
    Sir Robin of Camelot

"Whilst the men of Caenia were scattered far and wide, pillaging and destroying, Romulus came upon them with an army, and after a brief encounter taught them that anger is futile without strength."  -Titus Livius, Ab Urbe Condita

(Ravenclaw is the best!)

Résumé/A History of Robin on NationStates
    Wintreath:
    Citizen: 4 June 2015 - present
    Member of the Hvitt Riddaral: 21 August 2015 - present
    Strifa of the 12th Underhusen: 8 October 2015 - 13 December 2015
    Speaker Pro Tem of the 13th Underhusen: 13 December 2015 - 8 February 2016
    Speaker Pro Tem of the 14th Underhusen: 8 February 2016 - 8 April 2016
    Speaker of the 16th Underhusen: 10 June 2016 - 11 August 2016
    Ambassador to Europeia: 5 December 2016 - present
    RP Guild Councillor: 23 February 2017 - present
    Ambassador to The North Pacific: 11 March 2017 - present
    Speaker of the 21st Underhusen: 10 April 2017 - 10 June 2017
    Delegate of Wintreath: 10 June 2017 - 15 March 2020
    Strifa of the 23rd Underhusen: 10 August 2017 - 10 November 2017
    Thane of Ambassadors: 10 October 2018 - 10 December 2018
    Commendation of Wintreath: Sept 24 2020

New Hyperion:
    Citizen: 27 November 2015 - present
    Patrician: 12 January 2016 - present
    Lord of Development: 5 February 2016 - present

(I stole this format from tau, but who am I not to copy a great system? :-) )

Ne Crustumini quidem atque Antemnates pro ardore iraque Caeninensium satis se impigre movent; ita per se ipsum nomen Caeninum in agrum Romanum impetum facit. Sed effuse vastantibus fit obvius cum exercitu Romulus levique certamine docet vanam sine viribus iram esse.
    BraveSirRobin
    • My Dear Jean-Luc!
    • We Meet Again, Mon Capitaine!!
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      The Noble House of Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    Aragonn
  • Citizen
  • Aesir Warrior
  • I just now got to looking at this, and I see you misspelled my character's name. It's Yllia, not Yilla.
    Jarl Aragonn
    The Aesir Empire

Aragonn
    • Aesir Warrior
    • To sit back hoping that someday, some way, someone will make things right is to go on feeding the crocodile, hoping he will eat you last - but eat you he will.
    • Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    Arenado
  • Citizen
  • Some Random Guy
  • Damn dyslexia strikes again.
    Arenado
    • Some Random Guy
    • Comfortably Numb
    • Citizen
    • Pronouns
      Any/All or They/Them
      Familial House
      Eske
      Wintreath Nation
    Aragonn
  • Citizen
  • Aesir Warrior
  • Looking forward to seeing the upcoming part!
    Jarl Aragonn
    The Aesir Empire

Aragonn
    • Aesir Warrior
    • To sit back hoping that someday, some way, someone will make things right is to go on feeding the crocodile, hoping he will eat you last - but eat you he will.
    • Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    Arenado
  • Citizen
  • Some Random Guy
  • It will be slightly delayed, I need to perfect the next entry
    Arenado
    • Some Random Guy
    • Comfortably Numb
    • Citizen
    • Pronouns
      Any/All or They/Them
      Familial House
      Eske
      Wintreath Nation
    Wintermoot
  • * Wintermoot eagerly awaits ;)
    1 person likes this post: BraveSirRobin

I went all the way to Cassadega to commune with the dead
    They said "You'd better look alive"
    Wintermoot
    • Weather: ❄️
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation
    Lord Belmont
  • Former Citizen
  • Belmont Inc. CEO
  • Its great north. im waiting eagerly for the next part, i just had one question. when does my jester come in? or is it random?
    Zobek: An unusual hiding place, for the Prince of Darkness. Don't you think?
    Gabriel: Zobek...
    Zobek: Yes, old friend. It is I.
    Gabriel: Where have you been, all this time?
    Zobek: Out there, amongst the living. And what of you? Why have you been hiding all this time... ... Gabriel?
    Gabriel: Don't you dare call me that! Eu sunt Dracul!
    Lord Belmont
    • Belmont Inc. CEO
    • I'm a mirror. If you're cool with me I'm cool with you.
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Wintreath Nation

Pages: [1] 2 ... 4