Pages: [1]

Werewolves are like Onions

Michi
  • Regional Stability Squad
  • Level 167 Caticorn God of Destruction
  • They both stink, but they're fun to talk about.  Am I right? Eh? Eh? :D

Anyways, hello everyone! Pengu here.  Once again I've been nominated to be Thane of Werewolf, and once again I've chosen to accept it.  Only this time, I've also chosen to actually take the time to campaign and go through the process since I actually have much more time I can actually devote to the position, should I be chosen for it.

For those who know, Werewolf is something that is important in ways to me.  Mafia, its offline counterpart, was one of my favorite games I ever played when I took theatre classes both in high school and college.  When I learned about the online counterpart after joining 10K Islands, I was hooked.   Unlike Mafia, Werewolf allows for so much creativity in both story telling and roles that it just became my ideal game: you could play infinite ways and no one game was ever the same.

When I joined Wintreath, I was baffled that this game hadn't made it to the Wintreath shores (well, to be fair there was a spark of interest in February before I joined, but it never went anywhere).  So I took it upon myself to bring it to Wintreath, and it's still been a steady game that still sees a lot of support today.  So much so that we're in the midst of elections for a Thane to oversee its operations.  And even after all this time, my love and devotion to this game hasn't wavered.

On that note, I'll answer the required questions from the nomination thread:

1) Why are you running for this position?
    I'm running because I love Werewolf.  In a way it's a big part of me because I love the creativity and friendship it can build between the players.  Sure, there's tense moments, but that's what makes it almost more than a game...the intensity it can build and just seeing how much people can get lost in the game.  Like I said basically, I love Werewolf, and I want to continue to see its success that it's had since the first time it popped into this region.

2) What do you aim to accomplish as thane?
    I aim to continue to see Werewolf flourish and grow.  It's a game that has helped deepen ties with allies, created bonds between players, and I feel has overall just helped the region and its people grow.  My goal is to continue helping that trend, continuing to get people interested in either taking part or even taking the reigns themselves, and continuing to see Werewolf be the sort of cultural phenomenon that it has been.

3) What qualifications or experience do you have in the area that you are running in?
    Well, I think that in sense speaks for itself, but for the reasons of detail, I'll elaborate:
    *Was responsible for bringing Werewolf to Wintreath as well as hosting games XIII, XII, X1, X2, VI, V, III, II, and I.  Was also responsible for hosting 3 separate Werewolf games in Summersend 2016.

*Created threads such as the Tips and Tricks and Unofficial Rules for newer players, as well as both the Hall of Winners (this one was more because of discussions with other members on such a thing) as well as the Theme and Role ideas threads.

*Was elevated to Count because of contributions in the field of culture, but more specifically because of Werewolf.  Was also made Acting Jarl of Culture, and then eventually Jarl of Culture for this same reasoning.

4) How do you plan to have the time to fulfill the duties of the position until the next election in June?

Work schedule:

Monday through Friday: 4AM to 12/1PM PST
    Saturday and Sunday: Off

Believe me, I'll have at least some time I can devote.  :D

Thank you for stopping by this thread and considering me for the position.  I look forward to elections!

Edits:
    *Noted the February spark of interest that fizzled, and changed "more of a game" to "more than a game" since that was my thoughts when I was typing it
    « Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 07:38:03 PM by Pengu »
    My Wintreath Resumé
    Michi
    • Wintreath's Official Video Game Enthusiast
    • Pronouns
      Any except it/its
      Orientation
      Michisexual <3
      Familial House
      Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    Wintermoot
  • The Greyscale Magi-Monk
  • Welcome to the campaign. :)

Obviously your abilities when it comes to Werewolf are beyond reproach...you literally brought it here. However, you disappeared in the midst of running the choose your own adventure games a few months back. Can you say for certain that this won't happen during your term? If you're elected and something happens offline that requires more time of you, how will you balance it out with your responsibilities as Thane of Werewolf?

I went all the way to Cassadega to commune with the dead
    They said "You'd better look alive"
    Wintermoot
    • The Greyscale Magi-Monk
    • Weather: ❄️
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation
    Michi
  • I'll admit that the CYOT game wasn't my most graceful moment.

Between developing writer's block since it's a game that demands continuous story, attempting to keep interest fresh despite it dwindling, and just my offline life at the time getting stressful...I just got a bit overwhelmed.

It's really no excuse to leave the game hanging like that, but that's also the way I am.  I like throwing ideas out and seeing how they work before they're even polished.  If you recall, this was a similar thing with Clue (before Wuufu's game) as well, since that was also a prototype game that never saw its end.

With Werewolf, that's normally not a problem.  It already has a set formula, and the only changing element is the theme/story.  And even if the story becomes too much, it can always be skimmed back down to the basic element and people still enjoy themselves.

I will, however, concede that I've done this with Werewolf before too.    I will say that 2017 was a pretty rough year, though.  I was still lamenting my breakup with Doug, my grandma passed, I was missing my parents terribly as a result, work was constantly stressful, and all in all, it wasn't a good year.  Focusing wasn't really on the table since it seemed like things kept flying at me to take away that focus.

I realize all of those seem like excuses, but if you watched my recent video I made on my FB, you know that focus in general is a really difficult thing for me to keep a firm grasp on.

This year already has been different.  I'm still playing the dating game, but overall I'm happy.  I've gotten to see my favorite uncle constantly, my parents came up at the beginning of the year and we're setting up to see each other again, I finally have a stable work schedule and won't be pulled around all the time, and overall, 2018 is already feeling like a better year.

And with my early off time for work, I have plenty more time to devote to writing and being on here.  Likewise, I'm thankful for having weekends off since it's ideal time I can devote to dating, errands, and the like.

So it's far easier for me to balance everything out even if I'm pulled for something serious offline.  With my new schedule, it's much easier for me to actually schedule other things such as even my Wintreath time to where I can have enough time for my duties on here.
    « Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 04:44:07 AM by Pengu »
    My Wintreath Resumé
    Michi
    • Pronouns
      Any except it/its
      Orientation
      Michisexual <3
      Familial House
      Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    Michi
  • On a more precise note that isn't mainly excuses, here's what I'm doing to improve on both aspects:

*With CYOA, I'm keeping a notebook that I'm going to start writing down ideas, plots, and eventually full-fledged stories so that I won't be going into future games doing things on the fly.  By the time I throw out another game to try out, it will be already set up and ready to go on day one of signups (on that note, I'm already working on a new one, in the fantasy genre for this one, though if I'm able, I want to revisit the previous one with a more fleshed out narrative and structure for next Halloween).

*Likewise with Werewolf, I'm keeping a separate notebook of ideas for Werewolf for the same situation.  It'll be much less needed, so it'll most likely become just a general notebook for any game ideas I have.

*Since I'm off at noon to 1 each day, I'm setting aside 2-3 hours a day for Wintreath stuff.  Whether it be actually appearing on the forums and posting around, working on game-related stuff, or a mix of both, those first 3 hours after work are going to be specifically for Wintreath.  Likewise, on Sundays I'll be using part of my day for Wintreath stuff as well, since Sunday is usually my normal "do nothing outside of gaming" days.  I'd use Saturday, but I also do spend some Saturdays with my uncle, so that won't always be an option.  Likewise, it's usually my day for errands if I don't do them on Thursdays, which I won't be with my new schedule.

And I realize there are going to be days that I might not feel like popping on, but I'm going to at least dedicate 2 hours a weekday (and Sunday) so that I'm at least somewhat active either on here or in my duties if chosen.

There's more I'm sure I can do to improve on things all around, but these are my starting points.
    « Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 11:04:29 PM by Pengu »
    My Wintreath Resumé
    Michi
    • Pronouns
      Any except it/its
      Orientation
      Michisexual <3
      Familial House
      Valeria
      Wintreath Nation
    Gerrick
  • Good luck in our first actual Thane election. Your candidacy for Thane of Werewolf has been approved.

Duke of Wintreath and Count of Janth
    Patriarch of the Noble House of Burdock
    Curriculum Vitae
    Citizen: 15 November 2015 - present
    Recruitment Contest Winner: December 2015
    Recruitment Contest Winner: January 2016
    Secretary of the 14th Underhusen: 8 February 2016 - 8 April 2016
    RP Guild Councillor: 9 February 2016 - 24 February 2017
    Recruitment Contest Winner: April 2016
    Wintreath's Finest: April 2016
    Ambassador to Nesapo: 5 July 2016 - 13 March 2017
    Jarl of Culture: 30 November 2016 - 13 September 2019