Pages: [1]

[AT VOTE][GA] Repeal "Reproductive Freedoms"

Reon
  • Former Citizen
  • Repeal "Reproductive Freedoms"
    A resolution to repeal previously passed legislation.
    Category: Repeal|Resolution: GA#286|Proposed by: Alchemic Queendom

Description: WA General Assembly Resolution #286: Reproductive Freedoms (Category: Human Rights; Strength: Significant) shall be struck out and rendered null and void.

Argument: The World Assembly,

Noting that World Assembly Resolution #286, “Reproductive Freedoms”, creates a totally unrestricted right to obtain an abortion at any stage of a pregnancy,

Realizing that this includes a right to obtain very late term abortions, or abortions after a genetic test, for example for the presence of Down's syndrome,

Furthermore, reiterating its commitment to human equality,

Believing that one of the most important aspects of human equality is the abolition of gender-based discrimination,

Applauding previous World Assembly legislation attempting to address gender-based discrimination, while recognising that this is an unfinished project,

Acknowledging that in many cultures economic and social norms have led to prejudices against female children and to discrimination in favour of male children,

Understanding that a common means of expressing this prejudice is through sex-selective abortion, wherein an abortion is conducted only after a sex test of the foetus has confirmed it to be female,

Also aware of informal folk attitudes that may lead to a pregnancy being ascribed female characteristics even in the absence of definitive medical testing, leading to sex-selective abortion,

Arguing that sex-selective abortion has serious societal consequences, including fuelling further discriminatory attitudes and practices, and contributing to socioeconomic inequality,

Considering there to be a compelling interest in preventing sex-selective abortion,

Disgusted that Resolution #286 prohibits legislation to prevent sex-selective abortion,

Repulsed that this Resolution amounts to a World Assembly mandate for gendercide and does active harm by preventing efforts to address gender imbalances,

Emphasising that this repeal in no way represents an argument against the basic right to obtain an abortion,

Nonetheless, holding the issue of sex-selective abortion sufficiently important to merit reconsideration of the Resolution in question:

World Assembly Resolution #286 is struck out and rendered null and void.

Delegate's Opinion: Damn, it's been a while since I did one of these but for this, I just had to... This is easily one of the most ridiculous and annoying repeals I may possibly ever see... It's biased, it's foolish, and it's wrong... And I swear to god, if anyone ever makes the assumption that females are the only ones that can be discriminated against in any fictional society ever, I'm gonna cut their noses off. Dear god, vote against this... Reproductive freedoms was an AMAZING resolution and the issues this repeal has with it are things that are not actually correct.
    « Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 02:57:35 AM by Reon »
    Face the facts of being what you are, for that is what changes what you are.
    Reon
    • Follow the Truth, whoever that may be.
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Wintreath Nation
    Azeron
  • Former Citizen
  • Altross
  • Nay
    Azeron
    • Altross
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Familial House
      Avestrii
      Wintreath Nation
    Keelen Mednoch
  • Former Citizen
  • It doesnt seem like banning sex-selective abortions is a bad idea, though, the idea that sex=selective abortions can only happen in the case of a FEMALE is preposterous. It doesnt seem like this repeal would cover boys as well and for that I vote NAY!
    Dark Lord Keelen Mednoch

Dark Lord of the Armed Republic of Ironmen

Menig of the Hvitt Riddaral
    Keelen Mednoch
    • As above, So below
    • Former Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Wintreath Nation

Pages: [1]