Pages: 1 [2] 3

Captain of the Astral Sea

Wuufu
  • Citizen
  • Yes, pirates could do that if you surrender to them :P But if you have a good pilot then you should be able to escape with relative ease.

I do think your police record and your reputation will play a big part in the kind of jobs you'll get offered as well as how quests pan out, but I've yet to start that area of the game so we'll see how big when I get to coding it in.
    1 person likes this post: Wintermoot
    Wuufu
    • Peace comes from within. Do not seek it without.
    • Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Wintreath Nation
    Wuufu
  • Citizen
  • One of the core ways of making money is through Trade. Trade goods come in two flavours, the legal kind, and the black market goods.

The legal goods make up the bulk of galactic trade. They range from food and water, to robotics and cybernetics, and everything in between. As stated earlier, different worlds will have different requirements. As such, finding trade routes between the differing worlds is relatively easy, though you will find stock will reduce the more you return to the same world, so travelling about is also important.

Spoiler

The tech level, special resources and active status of a world each have a huge impact on what a world produces and doesn't, as well as what it buys and doesn't, and at what price. Each of these provide for a vibrant setup, but also lead in well to the black market goods, as these are also heavily influenced by the type of government.

Spoiler

There are three types of black market good; firearms, narcotics and slaves. Each type of world will accept or abhor these, but the transport of these goods can be extremely profitable if you are able to find routes in them. Just make sure you aren't caught out by the ever present galactic police...

In future, the Black Market Merchant will also offer shady products for you to buy, and is another route of engagement into getting random goods and possible improvements (or not) for your captain and crew.

Tomorrow, I'll go into more detail on how passengers work.
    Wuufu
    • Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Wintreath Nation
    Wintermoot
  • Regional Stability Squad
  • The Greyscale Magi-Monk
  • "No one ever went broke selling weapons." - Quark

Perhaps I'll have to hide a small shipment of weapons along with my completely legitimate passenger business. Mwahaha. :D
    1 person likes this post: Wuufu

I went all the way to Cassadega to commune with the dead
    They said "You'd better look alive"
    Wintermoot
    • Weather: ❄️
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation
    Wuufu
  • Citizen
  • Passengers are fun in that they are often antithesis to trading. You might see the most profitable trade route goes to Planet A, but all the passengers want to travel to Planet B. Passengers are also directly influenced by the world they live in; they will travel from planets where they don't want to be to planets where they would prefer to be, depending on who they are and why they are traveling.

Spoiler

Each passenger group is made up of a number of people with a required number of cabins. Some passengers are happy to share a cabin to save cost, while others would want to spend the extra money on additional cabins for enhanced privacy, or to get their kids out their own cabin.

The fare that you can charge a passenger depends on the number of passengers present, the number of cabins they are after, and the distance they want to go. As can be expected, the more of each of these there are, the more you can charge them. However, more passengers on your ship also incur increased cost, as like your crew, passengers require rations during the trip. This is usually two rations each, which is also affected by the Great Cook perk that reduces this to one.

Passengers also like things to be stable, and they get scared every time your ships hull takes damage during the cruise. Overly scared passengers will in future jump ship without paying, so be careful to look out for them!

Spoiler

There are two ways to keep things more stable. First, you can buy shields, which will protect damage from reaching your hull. Passengers don't fear incoming fire when they can see it bouncing harmlessly off the ships shields. The second thing you can do is get a good diplomat to entertain passengers.

This is vital for those venturing into the passenger transport industry as entertained passengers tip, and so you get a nice small bonus at the end of your trip.

Spoiler

Next week we'll focus more on crew and starship upgrades.

Perhaps I'll have to hide a small shipment of weapons along with my completely legitimate passenger business. Mwahaha. :D
    There are a number of ways to avoid the police if you are interested in transporting illegal goods. ^_^
    3 people like this post: Gerrick, taulover, Wintermoot
    Wuufu
    • Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Wintreath Nation
    Wintermoot
  • I have to say, the speed that you're putting together such a comprehensive game is incredible. The passenger mechanics remind me a bit of Railroad Tycoon, where how much you get paid depends on a number of factors.

Which also makes me ask, will there be a time limit on how long you have to ferry passengers, like you have to get them to their destination in a certain amount of time or you don't get paid?
    2 people like this post: Wuufu, taulover

Wintermoot
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation
    Wuufu
  • Citizen
  • @Wintermoot passengers expect to be delivered to their destination within an expected time allowance. Currently failing to do will just make them not as happy, and will affect any tips that you get, but won't prevent them paying you the full fare since you did get them to their destination.

The downside to you though is far greater, since you are going to have to keep them fed through their journey, and food costs money, so you are incentivized to get there as fast as you can.
    2 people like this post: taulover, Wintermoot
    Wuufu
    • Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Wintreath Nation
    Wintermoot
  • @Wuufu: Thanks for answering my question! That's very well thought out. ^-^

Wintermoot
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation
    Wuufu
  • Citizen
  • Being a Captain of a Starship is a hard job. That's why it's important to have a well oiled crew working for you so that you can help offset some of that load!

Alongside your First Mate, you can hire additional crew to fill out the five core roles of the ship: Pilot, Engineer, Fighter, Diplomat and Doctor. You hire these crew off planets you visit, with each different government type encouraging different types of crew, so you'll have to look around if you're looking to fill out a specific role.

Spoiler

Crew can be hired for a set cost, and then require daily payment as well as feeding through rations. This needs to be taken into consideration when taking on crew since you will need to ensure your own income is sufficient enough to offset the cost of these additional crew. Crew expect payment when you dock, and will grow unhappy if you don't pay them.

Happy crew gain mood bonuses to skills, while unhappy crew will find themselves not able to perform their tasks as well as before, so keeping your crew happy is very important.

Spoiler

When you assign crew to their roles, you can assign a primary and secondary crew member. The primary crew member takes on the full responsibility, while the secondary crew member acts as an assistant, boosting the primary member with extra stats. Together, very happy crew can help your crew reach Legendary skill sets that make them undefeatable, and is a worthy late game achievement.

Currently happiness is a little simplistic, but will become more nuanced in future updates. In future, crew will be expanded with injuries and illnesses, desire for only moral/immoral actions, jobs and trade goods, a likeness/dislike for planet types, trade types, and passengers, and more, making each member feel unique and giving purpose to having larger crews who help to cover each other when others are down.

Crew will also be indispensable in handling jobs you take in the upcoming job system, can take part in shore leave adventures, and will be able to teach and learn skills from each other to improve.

Tomorrow, we will finish these hot takes with a look at starship upgrades.
    Wuufu
    • Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Wintreath Nation
    Wuufu
  • Citizen
  • Hey everyone, it's been a hectic few days! Hope you are all well. Today we shall look at the final hot take, that being Upgrades.

Just like your crew, a starship captain is nothing without the starship they captain. Upgrading your starship and even buying new and better ships are all things you can do.

Spoiler

The main starship upgrades are split into four main categories. Three of these (the first three) fill out upgrade slots, and so you are limited in choosing the ones that best benefit and suit your playstyle. The combat tab fills out weapon and shield slots, with increasingly powerful weapons and shields.

Upgrades provide for your standard upgrades, such as more cargo bays and reinforced hull. Skills provide boosts to your crew in their roles, while gadgets provide the really unique stuff, such as cloaking devices and a smuggler's hold.

Buying these upgrades is simple, and you can sell them back at 1/4 price, but just be aware that some upgrades you can only buy once, and others have to be bought again if you change starship.

Spoiler

Starships can be purchased from the Starship Hangar, and are also divided into four sections; scouts, traders, liners, and fighters. These sections further divide into ship size, starting at tiny and going all the way up to huge.

Upgrading to larger starships is important to help you expand, gain more crew, earn more cash and eventuality reach the pinnacle of commanding a huge starship, which can help you with the tougher jobs and earn the biggest cash. When you upgrade your starship, your starship sells back at a quarter of the price, and you have a choice of reducing the cost further by selling unwanted upgrades with it, hence why it says "Cost From" in the screenshot above.

We're now so close to the open beta release. While this open beta will contain the core gameplay and everything you've seen so far, there are still features that aren't fully completed, and other features that are planned for future releases. But we'll go through all that on the 1st June in a couple days time, and I'm eager to see it in your hands, so see you then!
    Wuufu
    • Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Wintreath Nation
    Wintermoot
  • I'm eager to have it in my hands, too! :D

I know I've said it before, but you've done an incredible job putting together a game in such a short time. This is going to be the start of something great, I just know it. :)

Wintermoot
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation
    Wuufu
  • Citizen
  • Howdy folks! The first Open Beta, my version of "Early Access", is live! Entitled Captain of the Astral Sea: Foundation, you can download it from here (and if you already have the Alpha installed, just reinstall it with the beta), but there are a few things of note.

Missing Features
    • There are a number of incomplete features, including the Jobs and Shore Leave tabs, but also anything to do with injuries, doctors and medbays. Do not worry about the Doctor role or medbays as they are non functional in this version of the game.
    • You cannot surrender or plunder. I had hoped to have these done but implementing the save/load feature overran and then I ran out of time. This will be my first focus for the next release.
    • As stated before, I do intend to add more depth to crew management, and this is also the focus of the Shore Leave and Jobs tabs as well.

Bugs

Note that there is a known issue when downsizing the app. You should be fine making it bigger, but if you want to make it smaller again you might need to restart the game. If you find any other issues when playing, be sure to let me know and, if possible, provide your save game file. This includes button presses that do nothing, any black screens of death, and any odd behaviour.

How to Play

The first thing you should remember is to hover over everything; if you see a hand icon, you can click on it!

Once you are past character creation, you will see a screen that has tabs along the bottom and a status bar along the top, a central display and two side panels.
    • The tab bars control the central display, and will give you access to all the main areas of the games functionality, as well as to the main menu and settings panel.
    • The Status Bar provides quick access to important information; be sure to click on things here to get more detailed info at a glance!
    • The left panel shows you info on your current system and any target or destination system.
    • The right panel shows info on your crew in the ships roles, and will be expanded over time with more detailed crew info.

Take a moment to look over these, then go to the Captain > Crew, and select the Roles tab, to assign your crew to their roles. You will at least need a pilot assigned, unless neither your Captain or First Officer is competent in those areas, in which case you will have been given a free auto pilot.

Then you can use the Merchants tabs (along with the arrows at the top) to find the best trade and passenger routes, and use the Dock tabs to navigate the Galaxy, warp to destinations, and keep your ship repaired.

The Tavern tabs on the left currently only holds the Jukebox, but will in future be Job and Crew related, and the Shipyard tabs on the right offer new crew, ship upgrades and new starships.

And that's it! Enjoy, earn money, and I'll see you in the next release which I am hoping to be 1st July.
    2 people like this post: Wintermoot, Gerrick
    Wuufu
    • Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Wintreath Nation
    Wintermoot
  • Woo! I've already downloaded it, and I hope to play it tonight. But I wanted to say, congrats on getting the first playable version of the game out. I know it was a real effort over the last few months. :) 

Wintermoot
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Demisexual
      Wintreath Nation
    Gerrick
  • Got my stuff all created and just started! Couple questions: What does P/L mean on the trade screen? And does time stand still when you're just docked at a planet and progress only as you travel to other planets?

Duke of Wintreath and Count of Janth
    Patriarch of the Noble House of Burdock
    Curriculum Vitae
    Citizen: 15 November 2015 - present
    Recruitment Contest Winner: December 2015
    Recruitment Contest Winner: January 2016
    Secretary of the 14th Underhusen: 8 February 2016 - 8 April 2016
    RP Guild Councillor: 9 February 2016 - 24 February 2017
    Recruitment Contest Winner: April 2016
    Wintreath's Finest: April 2016
    Ambassador to Nesapo: 5 July 2016 - 13 March 2017
    Jarl of Culture: 30 November 2016 - 13 September 2019
    Wintreath's Finest: November 2016
    Wintreath's Finest: February 2017
    Count of Janth: 17 September 2017 - present
    Patriarch of the Noble House of Burdock: 17 September 2017 - present
    Recruitment Contest Winner: September 2017
    Duke of Wintreath: 13 September 2019 - present
    Wintreath's Finest: September 2019
    Skrifa of the 37th Underhusen: 8 December 2019 - 8 February 2020
    Wintreath's Finest of the Year: 2019
    Commendation of Wintreath: 27 June 2020
    Citizens' Council Member: 14 September 2020 - 8 March 2021
    Skrifa of the 43rd Underhusen: 9 December 2020 - 8 February 2021 🔥

Alder of the Riksraad: 7 June 2021 - 17 June 2021
    Jarl of Culture: 17 June 2021 - 14 November 2021
    Alder of the Riksraad: 14 November 2021 - 1 March 2022
    Regional Stability Squad: 27 February 2023 - present
    Gerrick
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Orientation
      Bisexual
      Familial House
      Burdock
      Wintreath Nation
    Wuufu
  • Citizen
  • @Gerrick Profit/Loss. You aren't the first to ask that so perhaps I should make that more obvious...

And yes, time stands still when you are docked at a planet. It takes a day to warp somewhere, and two days to portal, and other events may also increase days spent.

However, if you are docked at a planet and looking through things, time will not move forward. I do plan to add funny ticker messages if you leave the game like that for a period of time.
    1 person likes this post: Gerrick
    Wuufu
    • Citizen
    • Pronouns
      He/Him/His
      Wintreath Nation
    Gerrick
  • @Gerrick Profit/Loss. You aren't the first to ask that so perhaps I should make that more obvious...

And yes, time stands still when you are docked at a planet. It takes a day to warp somewhere, and two days to portal, and other events may also increase days spent.

However, if you are docked at a planet and looking through things, time will not move forward. I do plan to add funny ticker messages if you leave the game like that for a period of time.
    Thanks! After almost a week, I've earned nearly 15k credits from trading around planets. :D

Another question: I see weapon and shield upgrades say something about power, which I assume means they require a certain amount to work. Is this a feature that hasn't been implemented yet, or is there a way to tell how much power my ship has?

Duke of Wintreath and Count of Janth
    Patriarch of the Noble House of Burdock
    Curriculum Vitae
    Citizen: 15 November 2015 - present
    Recruitment Contest Winner: December 2015
    Recruitment Contest Winner: January 2016
    Secretary of the 14th Underhusen: 8 February 2016 - 8 April 2016
    RP Guild Councillor: 9 February 2016 - 24 February 2017
    Recruitment Contest Winner: April 2016
    Wintreath's Finest: April 2016
    Ambassador to Nesapo: 5 July 2016 - 13 March 2017